Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-05-2012, 06:06 PM   #21
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Green Day, I enjoy them. I have a soft spot for Dookie, good rock album.

I am only of the only people I know that also really like Warning.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 10:09 PM   #22
burnin_vernon
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I liked some stuff off 21st Century Breakdown. The title track, East Jesus Nowhere, the Static Age, and Peacemaker all worked for me. Nothing groundbreaking, but still hooky and melodic.

I don't have high expectations for the new albums but I am curious.

I think they put on a great live show. Though Billy Joe is a little cheesy, he has limitless energy. I couldn't help but get immersed in their concerts. Having said that, I don't think I need to see them anymore.
burnin_vernon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 07:09 PM   #23
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
I have not listened to X 92.9 for a long time, because last time I did, every song was derivative of Green Day - the same power chords with fake british accent vocals.
They do have a healthy dose of the "safe" rock bands like Greenday, Foo Fighters, Oasis, Smashing Pumpkins etc. But they also play a lot of other stuff too, including, Sublime, MGMT, M83, Jack White, Florence and the Machine, Black Keys, NIN, Beastie Boys, etc.

...and for their required canadian content, they play lots of great fresh Canadian bands like Broken Social Scene, Mother Mother, Stars, Metric, Wintersleep, The Dudes, instead of relying on Tom Cochrane and April wine like certain other radio stations.

I know everyone has different tastes, but I think labeling x929 as a station where "90% of the bands try to sound like Green Day" isn't really a fair assesment of a really good alternative radio station that does quite a bit to help help the local music scene.

Last edited by jayswin; 07-07-2012 at 07:15 PM.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2012, 12:04 PM   #24
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flameswin View Post
They do have a healthy dose of the "safe" rock bands like Greenday, Foo Fighters, Oasis, Smashing Pumpkins etc. But they also play a lot of other stuff too, including, Sublime, MGMT, M83, Jack White, Florence and the Machine, Black Keys, NIN, Beastie Boys, etc.

...and for their required canadian content, they play lots of great fresh Canadian bands like Broken Social Scene, Mother Mother, Stars, Metric, Wintersleep, The Dudes, instead of relying on Tom Cochrane and April wine like certain other radio stations.

I know everyone has different tastes, but I think labeling x929 as a station where "90% of the bands try to sound like Green Day" isn't really a fair assesment of a really good alternative radio station that does quite a bit to help help the local music scene.
I don't think Florence, Black Keys, and Jack White aren't 'safe' rock.
Check out The Pod-Wraiths: A Star Trek Deep Space Nine Podcast
Yeah_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yeah_Baby For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2012, 12:23 PM   #25
Lobotroth
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Look how clever they are! They named the third album Tre instead of Tres because the drummer's name is Tre.
Lobotroth is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lobotroth For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2012, 01:06 PM   #26
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeah_Baby View Post
I don't think Florence, Black Keys, and Jack White aren't 'safe' rock.
I guess not, but I just meant in realtion to stations like Cjay, who stick to the ACDC/Nickleback/Metallica roation over more alternative music like x929, and the above bands don't have the 3 powerchord Greenday copycat syndrome going on, which was troutman's original claim.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2012, 01:51 PM   #27
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I guess not, but I just meant in realtion to stations like Cjay, who stick to the ACDC/Nickleback/Metallica roation over more alternative music like x929, and the above bands don't have the 3 powerchord Greenday copycat syndrome going on, which was troutman's original claim.

Touche. While I like the bands I mentioned it's not like x929 is playing Sigur Ros or even Bon Iver.
Check out The Pod-Wraiths: A Star Trek Deep Space Nine Podcast
Yeah_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 02:42 PM   #28
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

All I can say, in regards to Green Day is this:
Dillinger Four released this song, off Midwestern Songs of the Americas, in 1998

Six years later, Green Day released American Idiot.
Mass_nerder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mass_nerder For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2012, 08:37 AM   #29
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

I don't mean for this to sound like a direct attack on punk (or "punk") music, but a lot of it sounds very similar. It's an entire genre dominated by power chords... there's only so much you can do.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Russic For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2012, 09:07 AM   #30
Regular_John
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russic View Post
I don't mean for this to sound like a direct attack on punk (or "punk") music, but a lot of it sounds very similar. It's an entire genre dominated by power chords... there's only so much you can do.
That's the beauty of punk music, a super low bar to entry. 15 year old kids with their Dad's old telecaster & a Sears drum kit can string 3 power chords together and start writing songs.

But this simplicity is also the achilles heal of the whole operation, but definition it creates a small pool of chords from which to pull from.

But in the words of Hank Hill: It's OK if you only know three chords, but God, put 'em in the right order!
Regular_John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 09:28 AM   #31
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
a really good alternative radio station that does quite a bit to help help the local music scene.
CJSW and CBC3 do a much better job of that. They are integral to Sled Island.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2012, 09:39 AM   #32
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydorn View Post
But this simplicity is also the achilles heal of the whole operation, but definition it creates a small pool of chords from which to pull from.
A small pool indeed - it's one chord.

Which is fine - B.B. King certainly does well with a handful of notes, never mind the extravagance of actual chord work
Old 07-09-2012, 12:04 PM   #33
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russic View Post

meh, it's been like that for years.

Blues have many of the same chords and progressions. There is a quote, I think it's Keith Richards, and he talks about only needing a few chords, and stealing the ones he had.....

Much of music is re-cycled. A great example of that is sampling in Rap. I am not a fan, but sampling isn't that different, than much of what was done in England in the 60's. Musicians, share/steal all the time.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote