Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-11-2010, 02:16 PM   #81
VANFLAMESFAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

nm

Last edited by VANFLAMESFAN; 03-29-2011 at 11:57 PM.
VANFLAMESFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 11:55 PM   #82
VANFLAMESFAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah_Baby mentioned this in the movie thread, but in case you missed it, Mad Men will not be back for Season 5 until 2012. Matthew Weiner and AMC are having some negotiating problems. AMC wants some characters cut out of the show for cost purpsoses.

Mad Men gets awards and great reviews and legitimate buzz, but the ratings are pretty mediocre.

http://popwatch.ew.com/2011/03/29/mad-men-characters/

With this news and Breaking Bad set for a late year release, and Walking Dead not coming back for a bit, AMC better hope their new show The Killing brings in the numbers. It starts this weekend. I'm pumped for it.

Based on AMC's track record, I have to give this show a watch. I'm still mad Rubicon didn't get picked up for Season 2. I was really into that show at the end of the season.

Don Draper was asked for his reaction on the news.....his response.

Last edited by VANFLAMESFAN; 03-29-2011 at 11:58 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to VANFLAMESFAN For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2011, 12:26 AM   #83
REDVAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

Love the what video... and love this show. Too bad it isn't coming back until next year, but I'm sure it'll end up being worth the wait (or kill the show entirely, there is no middle ground).
Old 03-30-2011, 01:03 AM   #84
Weiser Wonder
Franchise Player

Exp:

So that's why they are always shuffling characters in and out? For cost purposes? Well that makes my major pet peeve with the show a little more understandable. The "gang" of lower employees which was a solid group of characters in the first 3 seasons became a shifting blob of lame character after lame character.
Old 03-30-2011, 02:26 AM   #85
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

I didn't know about this 2012 business, and am a bit disappointed, to be honest. It is the only show I make a point to watch.

Garrgh!
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 06:58 AM   #86
RW99
First Line Centre

Location: 103 104END 106 109 111 117 122 202 203 207 208 216 217 219 221 222 224 225 313 317 HC G
Exp:

Yeah, I am disappoint. But aparently it gets crap ratings, so maybe save some money instead of cancelling? If this was on NBC it would be in the trash already
RW99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 01:29 PM   #87
Prototype

Exp:

They've expanded the universe of Mad Men to so many characters that they could axe 2-10 and people wouldn't notice. Personally, I'd love to see Campbell get killed off in a horible hunting accident, dead by his father-in-law's gun. That would get rid of 4 characters right there.

I would also get rid of Betts at this point too. She's only around to be a thorn in Don's side, which they already have created other characters to do so. Every time she is on the screen I fill with rage. January Jones is a horrible actress, and the character is so wooden... be gone with you.

Have the kids pop up every once and a while, but get rid of their mother. There's another 2, her and her new hubby... then again, all of Betts friends would be gone too, so that's another million or so useless characters.

The could kill off Cooper too... being up there in age.

The thing is, they could get rid of so many characters, the hippy kids, the creepy neighbour kid, etc and still come up with compelling television.
Old 03-30-2011, 01:34 PM   #88
VANFLAMESFAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prototype View Post
They've expanded the universe of Mad Men to so many characters that they could axe 2-10 and people wouldn't notice. Personally, I'd love to see Campbell get killed off in a horible hunting accident, dead by his father-in-law's gun. That would get rid of 4 characters right there.

I would also get rid of Betts at this point too. She's only around to be a thorn in Don's side, which they already have created other characters to do so. Every time she is on the screen I fill with rage. January Jones is a horrible actress, and the character is so wooden... be gone with you.

Have the kids pop up every once and a while, but get rid of their mother. There's another 2, her and her new hubby... then again, all of Betts friends would be gone too, so that's another million or so useless characters.

The could kill off Cooper too... being up there in age.

The thing is, they could get rid of so many characters, the hippy kids, the creepy neighbour kid, etc and still come up with compelling television.
Agree with everything here except for the January Jones comment. I think she's great. Her character is annoying as hell and yes, would be awesome to see bad things happen to her, but I think January does a great job with the role. If she was doing a bad job, people would always be talking about houw bad she was as opposed to how annoying the character is. And that'a a credit to January and the writing.

But like you said, if they did get rid of her or other characters, the show wouldn't miss a beat. Don and Peggy are the only untouchables in my mind.
Old 03-30-2011, 01:52 PM   #89
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANFLAMESFAN View Post
Agree with everything here except for the January Jones comment. I think she's great. Her character is annoying as hell and yes, would be awesome to see bad things happen to her, but I think January does a great job with the role. If she was doing a bad job, people would always be talking about houw bad she was as opposed to how annoying the character is. And that'a a credit to January and the writing.

But like you said, if they did get rid of her or other characters, the show wouldn't miss a beat. Don and Peggy are the only untouchables in my mind.
You're high. January was annoying as Michelle's sister in American Wedding. And she was supposed to this Goddess that Stifler and Finch were swooning for. As if.
Check out The Pod-Wraiths: A Star Trek Deep Space Nine Podcast
Yeah_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 02:01 PM   #90
VANFLAMESFAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

I guess I'll let her 2 golden globe and 1 emmy nominations do the talking for me.
Old 03-30-2011, 02:03 PM   #91
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I guess I'll let her 2 golden globe and 1 emmy nominations do the talking for me.

I love when people defend things via awards. Because they mean so much.
Check out The Pod-Wraiths: A Star Trek Deep Space Nine Podcast
Yeah_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 02:06 PM   #92
VANFLAMESFAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeah_Baby View Post
I love when people defend things via awards. Because they mean so much.
Do award nomination mean she's a bad actress?? Prototype called her a bad actress, you seemed to agree. If she's such an awful actress, there is ZERO chance she gets nominated for any individual awards. Especially the Emmy.

People are confusing hating her character so much with viewing her work as an actress.

Last edited by VANFLAMESFAN; 03-30-2011 at 02:08 PM.
Old 03-30-2011, 02:18 PM   #93
Weiser Wonder
Franchise Player

Exp:

Jones is alright, but she's not a talented actress. Remember when she had to cry in the Kennedy assassination episode? Dear god that sucked.

I actually liked Betty in Season 2 and part of Season 3. It went downhill when she met Henry, who has yet to develop as a character beyond "guy who steals Betty away." Every scene with those two is annoying. Why are they in love? What is Henry even like as a person? Season 4 she was annoying and bitchy as can be and Henry still doesn't have a personality.

Why Cooper was kept around so long was always odd to me, they could have gotten rid of him for Season 3 and Season 4. One retirement episode is all it would take. Not that I mind him at all, he's a pretty entertaining character. But if costs are a concern, he seems like the obvious choice to me.

The creepy neighbor kid will be around until the end of the show because he's the creator's son. Every plotline with him in it is entirely uninteresting, but I suspect Matthew Weiner has no idea. That's why you don't cast your family.

As for characters you need to keep, I'd keep the office crew of Pete, Harry, Ken, Joan and Peggy. I think their interactions bring a lot to the show. Everything else is superfluous in my mind and could go if necessary.

And I'm glad Draper picked Megan over Faye. I didn't much like Faye ever since the focus group, where she seemed abnormally cruel.
Old 03-30-2011, 04:39 PM   #94
Prototype

Exp:

Quote:
Awards can't talk.

Watch her run hosting SNL 2 years ago or so. Tell me she's a fantastic actress after you sit through an hour and a half of carboard with make up.
Old 03-31-2011, 08:37 PM   #95
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

A deal has been reached apparently, although the season is still delayed because other arrangements were already made:

http://www.thestar.com/entertainment...r-more-seasons
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2011, 09:26 PM   #96
VANFLAMESFAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
A deal has been reached apparently, although the season is still delayed because other arrangements were already made:

http://www.thestar.com/entertainment...r-more-seasons
Good to hear. Very interesting stuff.

Too bad we gotta wait till next year though, but at least the deal is done and no characters will go unless Weiner says so(assuming those rumors were true).
Old 03-31-2011, 11:21 PM   #97
Weiser Wonder
Franchise Player

Exp:

Can't wait! I'm assuming a three year deal means three more seasons?
Old 04-01-2011, 09:28 AM   #98
Burninator
Franchise Player

Exp:

I can't believe the show has mediocre ratings. Obviously they have to pull out the big guns and Christina Hendricks must have a topless scene every episode. Must be done. Must be.
Burninator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 09:44 AM   #99
Komskies
Franchise Player

Exp:

As long as they keep the boobs lady. I tried watching the show a few times, and it was way too boring for my tastes, but there were some good boobs.
Komskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 09:46 AM   #100
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komskies View Post
As long as they keep the boobs lady. I tried watching the show a few times, and it was way too boring for my tastes, but there were some good boobs.
I gotta admit, that's what got me into the show in the first place. Granted I knew nothing of it beforehand.
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
betty's hot , joan is amazing