Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-05-2018, 09:35 AM   #181
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by saXon View Post
It's a super hero movie done well with a small budget.
man how the movie business has evolved when just a mere $100 million is now considered a small budget flick.
Inglewood Jack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 09:44 AM   #182
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Am i the only one that doesn't like how all the superhero movies are tied together? I miss having a stand alone Spider-man story to follow as opposed to him just getting lumped in with the whole Marvel crew.
bax is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bax For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2018, 09:56 PM   #183
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I got to say I actually liked Venom. Wasn't amazing but was enjoyable and really funny. I sure hope they make the sequel.
Nadal Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 10:22 PM   #184
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yup, Venom was a fun movie. Tom Hardy carried it for sure, as the overall story didn't meet the bar set by other Marvel films. The villain was weak, the plot wasn't great, and apart from the first 10-15 minutes the pace felt the same throughout the whole movie.

Yet I still found myself enjoying it. The interactions between the symbiote and Eddie were awesome, and the effects were top notch. Lots of action, lots of humor.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yamer For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2018, 10:43 PM   #185
bigtmac19
Franchise Player

Exp:

A Star is Born, great movie, great performances by Bradley Cooper and Lady Gaga! Highly recommend.
bigtmac19 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bigtmac19 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-06-2018, 12:48 AM   #186
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Venom managed to not have a great plot as might be expected from Sony, yet make itself nearly impossible to hate because the characters are likeable and Venom is undeniably cool. Something that DC could really learn how to do. It was essentially a dark comedy.

If they get the returns to prompt a sequel, I hope they can bump it to an 18A rating.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 12:16 PM   #187
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
Venom managed to not have a great plot as might be expected from Sony, yet make itself nearly impossible to hate because the characters are likeable and Venom is undeniably cool. Something that DC could really learn how to do. It was essentially a dark comedy.

If they get the returns to prompt a sequel, I hope they can bump it to an 18A rating.
That's what I was thinking, too. From the sounds of things they cut quite a bit to get it from an R to 14A rating (or whatever it was). I think this franchise would be served well going with 18A.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 12:59 PM   #188
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Venom should be an R rated movie. Too bad Sony didn't jump on this. But I mean if you're going to eventually run a Carnage story line you cannot play with kiddie gloves.

These films should be borderline horror movie style gore.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 05:07 PM   #189
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtmac19 View Post
A Star is Born, great movie, great performances by Bradley Cooper and Lady Gaga! Highly recommend.
Saw it this afternoon. Excellent film.
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to direwolf For This Useful Post:
Old 10-07-2018, 05:30 PM   #190
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

On Rotten Tomatoes, Venom has a critic rating of 32% currently, but an audience score of 89%. Such a huge spread there, but not too uncommon for movies that aren't meant to be taken too seriously.

I like one of the positive critic reviews where it was compared to junk food.
Old 10-07-2018, 07:19 PM   #191
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I watched A Star Is born today, and it floored me. Both Cooper and Gaga are authentic and believable from frame one, and Sam Elliott gives probably his best performance ever. The music is unbelievable, and I'm sure people will be talking about the soundtrack for quite a while. Even though this is technically a remake, it feels fresh, real, and heartbreaking. This is an absolute masterpiece as far as I'm concerned. Bring tissues.

10/10

I always hate giving this strong of a review because I expect at least a few people to come back next week and say "Meh, it wasn't that good. I was expecting more based on your review." Still, I stand by it.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 10-07-2018, 07:39 PM   #192
bigtmac19
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
I watched A Star Is born today, and it floored me. Both Cooper and Gaga are authentic and believable from frame one, and Sam Elliott gives probably his best performance ever. The music is unbelievable, and I'm sure people will be talking about the soundtrack for quite a while. Even though this is technically a remake, it feels fresh, real, and heartbreaking. This is an absolute masterpiece as far as I'm concerned. Bring tissues.

10/10

I always hate giving this strong of a review because I expect at least a few people to come back next week and say "Meh, it wasn't that good. I was expecting more based on your review." Still, I stand by it.

Totally agree!!!
bigtmac19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 10:57 PM   #193
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

A Star is Born is Oscar worthy material.
Old 10-08-2018, 05:01 PM   #194
CofR
Olympic Guru

Exp:

Recommend A Star Is Born to everyone, can’t say the same about Venom. I also saw Mandy last week and liked it quite a bit, but if you’re not a fan of art films or weird Nic Cage roles I’d stay away.
CofR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 05:33 PM   #195
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Watched Venom this afternoon and thought it was great! Would watch again.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 03:30 AM   #196
sl888
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
10/10
I'll be that guy. A Star Is Born will receive a lot of Oscar nominations and easily be the front-runner for the new Popular Film award, but I would't go as far as calling it a masterpiece.

I recently discovered Kanopy. It is a video streaming service with classic and indie films. It is free if you have a Calgary Public Library card.
sl888 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sl888 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-09-2018, 10:33 AM   #197
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

I haven't seen A Star is Born yet but definitely plan to.

I don't know how I feel about an Oscar or other major awards for a movie that has been remade now three times. I get that the original story is compelling and the technical achievements around directing and acting can be just as challenging whether its an original movie or not.

But for best movie I guess, part of the criteria should be some degree of originality IMO.
Strange Brew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 12:34 PM   #198
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sl888 View Post
I'll be that guy. A Star Is Born will receive a lot of Oscar nominations and easily be the front-runner for the new Popular Film award, but I would't go as far as calling it a masterpiece.
Did you watch it?
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 07:15 PM   #199
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
I haven't seen A Star is Born yet but definitely plan to.

I don't know how I feel about an Oscar or other major awards for a movie that has been remade now three times.
At the very least, I think it'll get some serious awards consideration for the acting and directing. Both Cooper and Gaga are excellent, and that might have been the best performance I've ever seen from Sam Elliott. Dude is definitely a lock for a supporting actor nomination IMO.
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to direwolf For This Useful Post:
Old 10-09-2018, 07:18 PM   #200
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Can't wait to see A Star is Born. Really excited to see The Old Man and The Gun as well, Robert Redford's last movie and is getting excellent reviews as well.

I thought last years Oscar crop was pretty weak, this year is shaping up a little better IMO.
flames_fan_down_under is offline   Reply With Quote