Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-08-2017, 11:25 PM   #221
prarieboy
Late Bloomer

Exp:

I visited Mexico City on business and expected to find a sprawling run down city. I was blown away by the amount of art, fountains etc. that were present in the areas I visited. A very cosmopolitan city in that regard. The people who are deciding our Art projects should pull there heads out of their backsides because it seems to me they just don't have any idea what the people who fund these projects really want to to look at each day.
prarieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to prarieboy For This Useful Post:
Old 08-09-2017, 07:25 AM   #222
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
Disliking the piece isn't the issue. What makes Calgarians look bad is treating it as a civic scandal.
When the city installs something that is almost universally loathed as soon as it goes up, but meant to welcome people as they arrive in the city, I would say that it does actually qualify as a "civic scandal".

I mean both you and Tinordi are in this thread arguing your own superiority like strutting peacocks, and yet, neither of you were even able to spare a word of appreciation for it. That's how bad this thing is.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-09-2017, 08:15 AM   #223
The Familia
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
We don't need zero-maintenance steel, though. Just paint it so it looks good. Cor-ten is motha fataing hideous and we have too much of it trashing up our city already.
I agree that Cor-ten is a terrible product. Everyday I wish all the streetlights and traffic signals that are still the ugly brown rusted poles will fall over. Whoever thought those looked good needs a kick in the junk. The only thing I like that is Cor-ten is poppy plaza as it kind of has a World War, old, historic, feel to it. I get the idea for the rust look of that plaza, not for anything else.
William Jennings Trophy - 2006
The Familia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 08:23 AM   #224
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Familia View Post
I agree that Cor-ten is a terrible product. Everyday I wish all the streetlights and traffic signals that are still the ugly brown rusted poles will fall over. Whoever thought those looked good needs a kick in the junk. The only thing I like that is Cor-ten is poppy plaza as it kind of has a World War, old, historic, feel to it. I get the idea for the rust look of that plaza, not for anything else.
The Picasso sculpture in Chicago is Cor-ten...

I think the material is not as important as the piece itself. I'd take a rusty old Picasso any day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
Disliking the piece isn't the issue. What makes Calgarians look bad is treating it as a civic scandal.
Why does that make us look bad? Are we unappreciative of great art? The artist playing the "indigenous card" looks really bad.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 08:23 AM   #225
Amethyst
First Line Centre

Exp:

While the type of pieces they are choosing may not be the best, I wouldn't want to live in a city that spent nothing on aesthetics / art and only paid for the basic functional necessities. I've lived in places like that. They are not enjoyable.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 08:31 AM   #226
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
While the type of pieces they are choosing may not be the best, I wouldn't want to live in a city that spent nothing on aesthetics / art and only paid for the basic functional necessities. I've lived in places like that. They are not enjoyable.
Again I really don't think anyone here is arguing the money. People generally accept that an art budget is a good thing.

When you blow your art budget on junk (read: construction rubble) people get up in arms, as they should. It's a hideous piece, and if I were Blackfoot, I would be offended that the artist tried to pass this junk off as some Blackfoot cultural piece.

Hint to the artist: four seasons aren't exclusive to the Blackfoot people of southern Alberta.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 08-09-2017, 08:57 AM   #227
Amethyst
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
Again I really don't think anyone here is arguing the money. People generally accept that an art budget is a good thing.
Hmm.... I don't think that is true, but perhaps that is the case in this thread. It blew up while I was away and I didn't read all 12 pages. It seems like this argument comes up every time the city purchases artwork though.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 09:23 AM   #228
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

The Tsuut'ina aren't happy with the lack of consultation.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-09-2017, 09:43 AM   #229
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by prarieboy View Post
I visited Mexico City on business and expected to find a sprawling run down city. I was blown away by the amount of art, fountains etc. that were present in the areas I visited. A very cosmopolitan city in that regard. The people who are deciding our Art projects should pull there heads out of their backsides because it seems to me they just don't have any idea what the people who fund these projects really want to to look at each day.
Just spent a few days in Ottawa and Montreal - public art is everywhere and very enriching.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 08-09-2017, 09:48 AM   #230
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Just spent a few days in Ottawa and Montreal - public art is everywhere and very enriching.
I doubt any of it is as nice as the Bowfort towers.
The Following User Says Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 08-09-2017, 09:50 AM   #231
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
I doubt any of it is as nice as the Bowfort towers.
But nothing will match the quality art found in Saskatoon: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskat...-art-1.2617828
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-09-2017, 09:56 AM   #232
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
But nothing will match the quality art found in Saskatoon: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskat...-art-1.2617828
LoL. At least our pile of garbage is welded together I guess.
Old 08-09-2017, 09:57 AM   #233
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

But maybe that is what CliffFletcher was getting at? Calgary should be proud of its garbage art if it brings us closer to world class cities like Saskatoon?
The Following User Says Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-09-2017, 10:22 AM   #234
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

I personally wish that public art projects were more integrated in the project that they're associated with. I like the Glenmore fish, not because they're obvious and literal, but because they don't feel like they were tacked on as a public art component on the outside of the project (they may have been, but if so the artists did a great job integrating them). The blue ring, and (based simply on the photos I've seen), this project definitely do have that tacked on feel to them. Wonderland outside the Bow is great not only because it's a great standalone sculpture, but because the whole site treats the sculpture as a focal point.

Or, you get rid of the requirement of having public art as a component of these various projects, and instead centralize it in a sculpture park that the way that Chicago does (but then you'd get people from various neighbourhoods complaining that money on art isn't being spent in their neighbourhoods).
octothorp is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to octothorp For This Useful Post:
Old 08-09-2017, 10:40 AM   #235
puckedoff
First Line Centre

Exp:

You guys need to have some more civic pride. Its OUR great blue ring. Its OUR Bowfort Rock Rubble. Its OURS and it exists in the best city in the world. Lots of musicians confirm this when they travel through town.
puckedoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 10:42 AM   #236
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckedoff View Post
You guys need to have some more civic pride. Its OUR great blue ring. Its OUR Bowfort Rock Rubble. Its OURS and it exists in the best city in the world. Lots of musicians confirm this when they travel through town.

We're #1! We're #1!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 11:06 AM   #237
Minnie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Geist really should have consulted with DiCaprio about an art piece for Calgary.
Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Minnie For This Useful Post:
Old 08-09-2017, 12:14 PM   #238
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
LoL. At least our pile of garbage is welded together I guess.
I'm not sure having to live with it forever is a bonus, Saskatoon gets to haul their garbage off to the dump (which also adds a level of irony to the piece I doubt the artist planned) in a month or two at least.
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 12:20 PM   #239
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckedoff View Post

This art is a part of us all. A part of us all. A part of us all!

I'm sorry to repeat myself but it will help you remember.
Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 01:18 PM   #240
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone have any idea what kind of art will be near the 162/Macleod interchange? Is there somewhere that you can see the upcoming pieces for these projects or is it a wait and see sort of thing?
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote