Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-14-2016, 12:10 PM   #61
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos
 
You Need a Thneed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Exp:
Default

Ok, why did that game have to be at 4:30 in the morning?
__________________
My LinkedIn Profile.
You Need a Thneed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 06:35 AM   #62
FireGilbert
Franchise Player
 
FireGilbert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Brisbane
Exp:
Default

Another day/night pink ball test match starts in Adelaide tomorrow between the Aussies and South Africa. This was very entertaining last year and I hope one day all test matches are day/nighters.

Unfortunately the match might be a bit of a blow out. The Proteas absolutely embarrassed the hosts in the first two matches which has caused the Australian selectors to panic and select 4 uncapped players for this one.
__________________
The masses of humanity have always had to surf.
FireGilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FireGilbert For This Useful Post:
Old 11-23-2016, 10:04 AM   #63
GirlySports
NOT breaking news
 
GirlySports's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Calgary
Exp:
Default

I have a question for you cricket experts. The England/India match a few days ago, England were 400 down with 5 sessions to go. Why did they try to block for 5 sessions for a draw? is that even realistic? I think if they just bat out normally or even accelerate, they could at least have a chance to win. 400 isn't that much in today's cricket.
__________________
Watching the Oilers defend is like watching fire engines frantically rushing to the wrong fire

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 10:12 AM   #64
ClubFlames
Posted the 2 millionth post!
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
I have a question for you cricket experts. The England/India match a few days ago, England were 400 down with 5 sessions to go. Why did they try to block for 5 sessions for a draw? is that even realistic? I think if they just bat out normally or even accelerate, they could at least have a chance to win. 400 isn't that much in today's cricket.
England tried to prolong the innings by frustrating Indian bowling attack but that backfired considering the pitch deteriorated considerably and it became bowler friendly. The spin bowlers India has are world class (Ashwin especially) so that was a brutal tactic as hardly anyone can survive them on Indian pitches for long.
__________________

ClubFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 10:37 AM   #65
Da_Chief
Franchise Player
 
Da_Chief's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
I have a question for you cricket experts. The England/India match a few days ago, England were 400 down with 5 sessions to go. Why did they try to block for 5 sessions for a draw? is that even realistic? I think if they just bat out normally or even accelerate, they could at least have a chance to win. 400 isn't that much in today's cricket.
The main issue was the 5th day, they probably could've had a go at it on the 4th day but the pitch would've been much worse (as ClubFlames said) on the 5th day. So going for it would've resulted in quick wickets.

In the end it didn't matter. Ashwin is a world class bowler but the rest are not, put them anywhere outside of Indian pitches and they'll struggle to contain runs let alone get wickets. That's not to say some of the others also won't struggle. Yasir is struggling in New Zealand right now but that is expected. I'd probably say only Yasir, Ashwin and Herath are world class spinners at the moment.
Da_Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 02:11 PM   #66
GirlySports
NOT breaking news
 
GirlySports's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Calgary
Exp:
Default

maybe be more aggressive in the overs Ashwin is not bowling?
they should have gone for it on the 4th day. i just can't see blocking for 5 sessions for a draw as a viable solution unless rain is in the forecast.
__________________
Watching the Oilers defend is like watching fire engines frantically rushing to the wrong fire

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 05:39 PM   #67
Da_Chief
Franchise Player
 
Da_Chief's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
maybe be more aggressive in the overs Ashwin is not bowling?
they should have gone for it on the 4th day. i just can't see blocking for 5 sessions for a draw as a viable solution unless rain is in the forecast.
Well like mentioned before hitting indian spinners in India is not easy, they're so used to the condition. So, if its spin after spin then its hard, plus the tracks for totally spin friendly.
Da_Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Da_Chief For This Useful Post:
Old 11-23-2016, 07:48 PM   #68
FireGilbert
Franchise Player
 
FireGilbert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Brisbane
Exp:
Default

There has been some debate lately about the away team automatically winning the toss in order to prevent teams (ie. India) from doctoring the pitches to their advantage. I think it is a great idea.
__________________
The masses of humanity have always had to surf.
FireGilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FireGilbert For This Useful Post:
Old 11-23-2016, 10:41 PM   #69
GirlySports
NOT breaking news
 
GirlySports's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Calgary
Exp:
Default

i dont think South Africa is seeing the pink ball very well :P
__________________
Watching the Oilers defend is like watching fire engines frantically rushing to the wrong fire

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 01:08 AM   #70
Party Elephant
First Line Centre
 
Party Elephant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Queenstown, NZ
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Chief View Post
The main issue was the 5th day, they probably could've had a go at it on the 4th day but the pitch would've been much worse (as ClubFlames said) on the 5th day. So going for it would've resulted in quick wickets.

In the end it didn't matter. Ashwin is a world class bowler but the rest are not, put them anywhere outside of Indian pitches and they'll struggle to contain runs let alone get wickets. That's not to say some of the others also won't struggle. Yasir is struggling in New Zealand right now but that is expected. I'd probably say only Yasir, Ashwin and Herath are world class spinners at the moment.
What were your thoughts on that match, I'm guessing you watched it?

From a New Zealand perspective it was great to see some new faces make an impact for once. de Grandhomme's bowling figures were a national record for a test debut! I don't know much about the Pakistan team though.
Party Elephant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 01:11 AM   #71
Party Elephant
First Line Centre
 
Party Elephant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Queenstown, NZ
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireGilbert View Post
Another day/night pink ball test match starts in Adelaide tomorrow between the Aussies and South Africa. This was very entertaining last year and I hope one day all test matches are day/nighters.

Unfortunately the match might be a bit of a blow out. The Proteas absolutely embarrassed the hosts in the first two matches which has caused the Australian selectors to panic and select 4 uncapped players for this one.
Why is it they're playing the day/nighter in Adelaide again? I would have thought they'd draw more interest spreading it around to Melbourne or Sydney, and also the night sessions must run pretty late for east coast tv viewers.
Party Elephant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 06:32 AM   #72
FireGilbert
Franchise Player
 
FireGilbert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Brisbane
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Party Elephant View Post
Why is it they're playing the day/nighter in Adelaide again? I would have thought they'd draw more interest spreading it around to Melbourne or Sydney, and also the night sessions must run pretty late for east coast tv viewers.
It is the perfect timing for a day/nighter as kids are still in school and everyone is at work. The Melbourne and Sydney tests take place on Boxing Day and Jan 3rd respectively when school is out and most of the country is on vacation.

Also, Adelaide is only 0.5 hours behind Sydney and Melbourne and is actually 0.5 hours ahead of Brisbane (which makes zero sense when you look at a map of Australia but is because of Queensland's refusal to adopt DST) so it doesn't run late at all.

Anyways, South Africa rebounded from a poor start to put up 259 and Australia is 0/14 at stumps. This should be a good one.
__________________
The masses of humanity have always had to surf.

Last edited by FireGilbert; 11-24-2016 at 06:35 AM.
FireGilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FireGilbert For This Useful Post:
Old 11-24-2016, 07:40 AM   #73
Da_Chief
Franchise Player
 
Da_Chief's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Party Elephant View Post
What were your thoughts on that match, I'm guessing you watched it?

From a New Zealand perspective it was great to see some new faces make an impact for once. de Grandhomme's bowling figures were a national record for a test debut! I don't know much about the Pakistan team though.
Watched a bit here and there. Like you said, de Grandhomme had an amazing debut. Raval played extremely well, he was the difference.

Pakistan's lineup struggled as usual on a bouncy track but none of the batsmen showed positive intent, it was block, block till they got out.

Azhar is taking over the captaincy for the 2nd test, Misbah's father-in-law passed so he went back home (he was already getting suspended for slow blowing rate in the first match).

Hopefully second match it longer then 3 days and more of a contest.
Da_Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 02:27 PM   #74
Party Elephant
First Line Centre
 
Party Elephant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Queenstown, NZ
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Chief View Post
Hopefully second match it longer then 3 days and more of a contest.
Hope so. Trent Bolt is out nursing an injury so the Pakistan batsmen have one less weapon to worry about.
Party Elephant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 04:39 AM   #75
FireGilbert
Franchise Player
 
FireGilbert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Brisbane
Exp:
Default

Cricket's best named player and damn good wicket keeper Quinton de Kock has been the subject of some interesting puns:

http://www.news.com.au/sport/cricket...890128cc03fa14

A few good ones:

Quote:
De Kock's gone off early... don't worry mate, happens to every man occasionally, nothing to be ashamed of.
Quote:
de Kock loves a pull
Quote:
In fairness to De Kock, it's come to light that he got out in memory of Harambe. Just to restate that: De Kock got out for Harambe.
__________________
The masses of humanity have always had to surf.
FireGilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FireGilbert For This Useful Post:
Old 11-28-2016, 11:06 PM   #76
Party Elephant
First Line Centre
 
Party Elephant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Queenstown, NZ
Exp:
Default

Wow, what a finish in Hamilton!

Pakistan had the final day to chase down 359. At one point they were 131 without loss after 60 overs and a draw looked certain. Then New Zealand buckled down to take all 10 wickets, including 3 in the final 3 overs, to win the test and take the series 2-0. Should be a big push for NZ's rankings as Pakistan were ranked #2 heading in.
Party Elephant is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Party Elephant For This Useful Post:
Old 11-30-2016, 06:02 PM   #77
FireGilbert
Franchise Player
 
FireGilbert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Brisbane
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Party Elephant View Post
Wow, what a finish in Hamilton!

Pakistan had the final day to chase down 359. At one point they were 131 without loss after 60 overs and a draw looked certain. Then New Zealand buckled down to take all 10 wickets, including 3 in the final 3 overs, to win the test and take the series 2-0. Should be a big push for NZ's rankings as Pakistan were ranked #2 heading in.
That sounds like an amazing finish. Why wasn't Pakistan more aggressive though? 4 runs an over isn't totally ridiculous. Serves them right for going for the draw and losing anyways.

Also, Australia and New Zealand will be starting a one day series on Sunday with games in Sydney, Canberra and Melbourne. If the Kiwis sweep the series they will replace Australia as the #1 ODI side.

I'm not sure what the Aussie schedulers were thinking though putting a ODI series in between the South Africa and Pakistan tests. We will see if that backfires on them. Also, the Australians will be going red ball -> pink ball -> white ball -> pink ball -> red ball which can't be that easy.
__________________
The masses of humanity have always had to surf.
FireGilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 12:07 AM   #78
Party Elephant
First Line Centre
 
Party Elephant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Queenstown, NZ
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireGilbert View Post
That sounds like an amazing finish. Why wasn't Pakistan more aggressive though? 4 runs an over isn't totally ridiculous. Serves them right for going for the draw and losing anyways.

Also, Australia and New Zealand will be starting a one day series on Sunday with games in Sydney, Canberra and Melbourne. If the Kiwis sweep the series they will replace Australia as the #1 ODI side.

I'm not sure what the Aussie schedulers were thinking though putting a ODI series in between the South Africa and Pakistan tests. We will see if that backfires on them. Also, the Australians will be going red ball -> pink ball -> white ball -> pink ball -> red ball which can't be that easy.
Pakistan had been batting some pretty low totals throughout the series, I don't think they got more than 250 in an innings so 359 was a big chase for them. Their openers did well for most of the day but once the floodgates opened...

I'm cautiously looking forward to the ODI series but have a feeling it's going to be a reality check for the kiwis much like their last game at the MCG. Hope I'm wrong.
Party Elephant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 06:08 PM   #79
FireGilbert
Franchise Player
 
FireGilbert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Brisbane
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Party Elephant View Post
I'm cautiously looking forward to the ODI series but have a feeling it's going to be a reality check for the kiwis much like their last game at the MCG. Hope I'm wrong.
You were right New Zealand has been getting smashed losing by 68 in Sydney and 116 in Canberra. I thought the Kiwis would have a chance at winning in Canberra as it is a smaller field similar to those in NZ however they made a very odd choice to field first and had to chase a very good 378.
__________________
The masses of humanity have always had to surf.
FireGilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 07:48 PM   #80
Party Elephant
First Line Centre
 
Party Elephant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Queenstown, NZ
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireGilbert View Post
You were right New Zealand has been getting smashed losing by 68 in Sydney and 116 in Canberra. I thought the Kiwis would have a chance at winning in Canberra as it is a smaller field similar to those in NZ however they made a very odd choice to field first and had to chase a very good 378.
Yeah those two games were good for raising the old blood pressure. Sloppy bowling and fielding did us in both times leading to ridiculous run chases. It will probably be more of the same at the G on Friday. Not to take anything away from the aussies as they've been fantastic. But the decision to bowl first was definitely questionable.

There have been some moments of encouragement for nz such as Guptill's century, but on the whole they've just been making too many mistakes and paying for them dearly.

I'm glad to see Guptill is still awesome in the one day format despite his awful test batting. He's the kind of batsmen that needs to play it in the air or he's useless.
Party Elephant is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:07 AM.

Calgary Flames
2017-18




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Calgarypuck 2016