Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-24-2021, 10:31 PM   #21
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gundo View Post
I think our shin pads and skates have performed well and are on a bit of a heater scoring 4-5 in the last two games.......for the opposite team
Forgot about Gio's stick.
Samonadreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 10:33 PM   #22
Gundo
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samonadreau View Post
Forgot about Gio's stick.
Ah, your right...... it’s so hard to remember all the new kids names...
Gundo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Gundo For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2021, 01:37 AM   #23
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

At this point I like the combined effect of the new acquisitions more than I care about any of them individually. I think their combined presence makes us a bit tougher team to play against in comparison to previous years, with a more consistent effort level and more physicality.

Individually they seem to be as advertised. Simon looks tiresome to play against, and I think that's something we haven't had enough. Leivo looks like he'll contribute a bit on the scoreboard once he gets more familiar with his teammates. Nordström is our 3rd forward in PK minutes, and our PK has been pretty good. That's perfectly adequate and frees up other guys for other things.

So I'm satisfied with each of them individually and actually quite happy with them as a group. Considering they only eat up 2.3M cap space combined, it's solid work from Treliving. Nothing that will shake the world, but good, basic resource management.

I'm interested to see what they can contribute in the playoffs.

Last edited by Itse; 01-25-2021 at 01:44 AM.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 05:45 AM   #24
Flames_F.T.W
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I honestly barely notice Leivo (good or bad plays). The other new forwards never really catch my eye either when watching, which is fine given their contracts
Flames_F.T.W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 06:36 AM   #25
VilleN
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames_F.T.W View Post
I honestly barely notice Leivo (good or bad plays). The other new forwards never really catch my eye either when watching, which is fine given their contracts
I agree with this, and that is probably a pretty good thing considering other bottom 6 players we've had in the past. Waiting to see if Leivo has another gear though, lots of optimism about him heading into the season.
VilleN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 06:41 AM   #26
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Meh.

Flames depth is greatly overrated. Another year where we'll go as far as the top 4 forwards go, just like the last several years.
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bubbsy For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2021, 06:43 AM   #27
VilleN
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbsy View Post
Meh.

Flames depth is greatly overrated. Another year where we'll go as far as the top 4 forwards go, just like the last several years.
I don't know if it is overrated - I think we have pretty solid depth at FWD, at least compared to years past. What team doesn't rely on their top 4 performing? I think that is a requirement for success in the NHL.
VilleN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VilleN For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2021, 06:59 AM   #28
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VilleN View Post
I don't know if it is overrated - I think we have pretty solid depth at FWD, at least compared to years past. What team doesn't rely on their top 4 performing? I think that is a requirement for success in the NHL.
I guess my point is, depth just seems more important for a great team to become contender level. Avg top end leaves depth less important.
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 07:14 AM   #29
Funkhouser
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I preferred Robinson to be honest
I would also like to see Phillips get a shot while he is still waivers exempt.

Sitting the new fwds will also keep them hungry.
Funkhouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 07:22 AM   #30
howard_the_duck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Meh.

Difference being that Lindholm moving to center really spreads the talent over the lines.

If it sticks, and the team continues to play as well as they have been, I could see the Flames being in a position to buy at the trade deadline. And it's always easier to acquire wingers in the top 6 than centers.

A difference making top 6 forward, and somehow removing Lucic as the boat anchor to the 4th line in favor of some speed and energy, and this team is REALLY interesting.
howard_the_duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 07:48 AM   #31
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

2-4 games isn't enough to give a definitive yay or nay on any new addition.

Let them notch a couple points and see where that takes their confidence with this new group and linemates.

Don't know how any one can say a players a fit or not a fit with the sample size. Continuing to rotate them will help us see if a combination has potential. They've all had their moments though. Have to see who continues to improve.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2021, 08:04 AM   #32
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

In a regular year Pelletier would be getting a look. They are saving a year of his ELC.
ricardodw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 08:09 AM   #33
Kovaz
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I've really liked how Simon fits with Gaudreau and Monahan. Seems to be a total puckhound and he's been able to get them the puck fairly well. I'd like to see that trio stay together for a little while.

Leivo seems fine. No major complaints but hasn't done anything special. For a guy who's like the 10th best forward on the roster I'm happy with no major mistakes and a bit of size and skill.

Nordstrom seems big and fast but that's about it. I have a hunch he'll be more valuable in the playoffs but he hasn't been good.
Kovaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 08:24 AM   #34
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I guess my point is, depth just seems more important for a great team to become contender level. Avg top end leaves depth less important.
Depth is never less important. Obviously the top guys are key, that is always true. But depth helps immensely. See EDM.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 08:31 AM   #35
Red
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Too early to tell, especially with that long break. Hope they gel and score more 5on5. Even strength so far has been a weak spot and that's the true indicator of depth or lack there of.
Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 08:32 AM   #36
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Four games is not enough to make any real assessments, but thoughts so far are that they are fine to good. Expectations matter here - these are all guys that are in the 9-13 range for depth, so if you're hoping for greatness, you're going to be disappointed.

Simon has been as advertised. Can control the puck and make plays. He looks like he might be starting to fit in on Monahan's line. Hope so, because I don't know what he will look like if he is playing bottom 6. Reminds me of Czarnik except, unlike Czarnik, I think he is capable of fitting in with top 6 guys.

Leivo has been fine. He looks like a guy who hasn't played a lot and is trying to keep his game simple. But he works hard and he goes to the front of the net. I think he needs 10-20 games to get going before we make any judgements. But he looks like a middle 6 winger to me. And he can play anywhere in the lineup.

Nordstrom has been a disappointment, but the bad seems to have been been when he is on the ice with Lucic. Without him, he has been fine. Clearly a 12-13 guy though.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2021, 08:35 AM   #37
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flambers View Post
To early to tell,

Need another 6 games or so....
Schedules are playing a big role. The season opened Jan 13 and the Leafs and Canucks have played 7 games in 11 days. The Flames 4.

Playing the Leafs at the end of their 7/8 games in 2 weeks is a bonus.

When the wheels fell off for the Canucks they had no time to regroup and they don't get 2 days off in a row until Feb 9/10.

The Flames get Feb 7 /8 off and then don't get a 2 day break until Mar 2/3 12 games in 21 days 9 days off.

That is where the quality of the depth players will be tested.
ricardodw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 08:45 AM   #38
TherapyforGlencross
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Nordstrom or Robinson? I shudder to think of a Lucic-Ryan-Robinson live, especially since Nordstrom is bad enough with Lucic.
TherapyforGlencross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 10:37 AM   #39
Young Guns
First Line Centre

Exp:

Haven't noticed Simon that much to be honest. However the past 2 games Monahan and Gaudreau have looked good. Probably playing the best we've seen 5 on 5 in a long time. Not sure if Simon has something to do with that.
Young Guns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 11:14 AM   #40
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

After the markstrom and Tanev signing we were left with a cap crunch. Flames had no choice but to go dumpster diving to fill out the depth. I personally think both Simon and leivo are being played to high in our lineup , but we don’t have a choice. Ideally those 2 would be playing on 4th line with Ryan. It is what it is in a flat cap era .
kyuss275 is offline   Reply With Quote