Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-05-2016, 04:34 PM   #221
keratosis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I wish I could nap. Not totally true. 4-5 shots of tequila work.
Woo Hoo!!!
Not even close to feeling rested after, more of a pass out really.
keratosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 04:52 PM   #222
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by keratosis View Post
I wish I could nap. Not totally true. 4-5 shots of tequila work.
Woo Hoo!!!
Not even close to feeling rested after, more of a pass out really.
Yeah I am totally jealous of the people who can nap. I can't nap and if I do fall asleep for even an hour I wake up so tired and the rest of the day is ruined.
calgaryblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 05:03 PM   #223
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgaryblood View Post
Yeah I am totally jealous of the people who can nap. I can't nap and if I do fall asleep for even an hour I wake up so tired and the rest of the day is ruined.
I find that if I nap for an hour or more I get that effect. If I strictly limit naps to 45 minutes or less or avoid losing total consciousness I feel refreshed.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 11:40 AM   #224
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

I haven't read the whole thread and I'm sure it's already been suggested, but melatonin? It's probably not enough for some, but supposedly non habit forming.

My wife is a physician and we both take it nightly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
powderjunkie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 12:05 PM   #225
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Melatonin works great if you don't use it much. But if you start using it regularly, I find it stops working. I used it semi-regularly for years, to the point where not only does it not work anymore, but I actually have WORSE sleeps when I take it than when I don't take anything. I find those things can give you crazy nightmares too.

Moral of the story, it works great at first. Just use it sparingly or it'll backfire on you hard.
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 12:08 PM   #226
Dan02
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah i find melatonin is hit and miss, sometimes I'll fall asleep nice and early then have a crazy ass dream which wakes me up and spend the next 4 hours in a groggy semi lucid state where i still can't sleep and my mouth tastes like metal.
Dan02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 03:13 PM   #227
JiriHrdina
I believe in the Pony Power

Exp:

On melatonin, the sleep clinic gave me a couple tips that have really helped me
- Take it a couple hours before you want to go to bed, not immediately before
- Use the strips, not the pills
- Once you take it, turn off all the lights in your house and try to avoid electronics
JiriHrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 05:03 PM   #228
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

DoubleF overshares...

I used to have ridiculous sleep patterns to the point it was affecting things in regular life. The following things are thing that have stuck for me and seem to help.

Chemical things that conk me out leave me groggy the next morning. It means me at "actual awake" is later in the day and me actual tired is later is night. I avoid the booze, melatonin, sleeping pills etc. for this reason for regular, but they have their uses and I might use it on a weekend or something. It might help for one night, but could cause a chain reaction to mess up a bunch of other nights.

Don't take vitamin c just prior to sleeping. Vitamin c has properties that essentially give you the body exhausted but brain not turning off situation. Someone suggested to me to take B complex before bed. I don't know if it works... what's the worst than can happen other than nothing/placebo effect?

For caffeine, I know eating bananas helps to deal with caffeine shakes, but no idea if it aids quality of sleep. I've never needed to explore this one in depth.

Light pollution. Get rid of it. Phones, computers, misc indicator lights on clocks, black out blinds for street lights etc.

One thing I've been experimenting with, I'd describe as autopilot habit disruption. If you want to understand, swap the pocket your phone/wallet/keys are in and keep a rough estimate how many times you attempt to grab your phone but are at the wrong pocket. Even in the next few hours, you'll hit quite the number.

Taking the concept further, I now try to mix up the location of my phone when charging (usually like 2 feet from head beside bed). One big problem I had was alerts. I'd literally check to see if someone messaged me, email came in, news alert, game alert, alert about alert, worried I missed an alert... it was nearly automatic and kept me up. Misc variations in putting phone on floor vs bed table, across the room etc. help to discourage me from checking my phone as it's more inconvenient. Similar to how someone can constantly snooze and never realize it.

Quality of sleep that seemed to work great in the past and I've kept it up. There are many varied gentle waking apps and devices out there. They work for me. While I was single, sleep alarm has a motion detection attribute to the alarm that would allow me to be woken up more gently in the morning so I'm less groggy when I wake up (20-30 minute time window just prior to a time you set). If I am more chipper in the morning, it takes less time for me to "wake up" and thus I begin to "tire out" sooner at night and I am also less likely to consume excessive coffee to "wake up". However, said app doesn't work on memory foam or with a significant other in the bed. This lead me to look into certain activity trackers.

Such trackers use your movements at night to determine depth of sleep. Similar to above, it will wake you up closer to waking vs deep sleep. I don't think you even need a super spiffy one and some aren't much bigger than a bracelet and aren't cumbersome. They can even wake you with vibrations on the bracelet so that your SO isn't as disrupted by sound in the morning. I also want to experiment with one of those Phillips light alarm things, but they're damn expensive.

Naps. The sweet spot is 20 minutes. Any more and you get groggy.

https://sleep.org/articles/what-is-a-power-nap/
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 04:47 AM   #229
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I can't sleep....insomnia sucks. Went for a drive because I couldn't sleep and was sick of staring at the ceiling and it's crazy how different it feels when you're driving and the roads are empty. Was only doing 100 on Deerfoot and it seriously felt like I was going so fast. I guess when cars are going the same speed by you it feels like you're going slower than you are.

They should really make people drive on an empty road at night to see how fast they're really going. Now I'm thinking too much and should try to sleep.
calgaryblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 08:20 AM   #230
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 09:48 AM   #231
Tron_fdc
In Your MCP

Exp:

You guys need a medicinal marijuana card. Get a strain designed to help with insomnia.

Might also want to buy big bags of Costco chips as well but at least you're sleeping.
Tron_fdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 09:58 AM   #232
AcGold
Self-Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan02 View Post
Yeah i find melatonin is hit and miss, sometimes I'll fall asleep nice and early then have a crazy ass dream which wakes me up and spend the next 4 hours in a groggy semi lucid state where i still can't sleep and my mouth tastes like metal.
Only take a few drops. I used to take a few droppers full and realized it's way too much, 2-3 drops is perfect.
AcGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 11:59 AM   #233
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

I actually quite like it, I find the middle of the night to be an ideal time to accomplish tasks that tend to get lost in the shuffle of hectic daily life.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 05:18 AM   #234
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Im dealing with insomnia on about 50% of my nights. Wide awake at around 3am today so I drove a bit and ended up at Dennys.
Flabbibulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 06:28 AM   #235
EVERLAST
Franchise Player

Location: https://homestars.com/companies/2808346-keith-my-furnace-guy
Exp:

Same......this last year no trips to Denny's but waking up between 230 and 4 am.
Tried edibles and even they don't always work but I am pretty mellow the following day compared to my regular moody from not sleeping.
EVERLAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 07:12 AM   #236
stampsx2
First Line Centre

Exp:

Would blackout blinds help? Trick your mind into thinking it's still night?
stampsx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 08:33 AM   #237
ASP#26525
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
I actually quite like it, I find the middle of the night to be an ideal time to accomplish tasks that tend to get lost in the shuffle of hectic daily life.
I have always liked nights because they are quiet and I can focus. I lived as a vampire while in graduate school, and I became a weather forecaster so I can work nights

Now, however, I find that I can't sleep well before day shifts. I have to get up at 5am but can't seem to sleep past 330am no matter what I do (I already smoke a ton of weed, heh, and it doesn't matter what time I go to bed, even if it's not until 2am...). But for night shifts, I can usually sleep during the day no problem. I'm usually woken up a few times, but I fall back asleep really easily and wake up at 5pm feeling rested and ready for work.

I honestly think we are not all built the same. Some people don't follow the typical circadian cycle at all, which can make it difficult to lead a "normal" 9-5 lifestyle. I really feel for people with insomnia.

Today I woke up at 250am and am really, really tired. Twelve hour shifts after only a few hours of sleep can really suck Thankfully I have tonight off and can sleep my brains out tomorrow before my nightshifts start--I get to watch two hockey games at work this week! Woot!

And just for fun:

ASP#26525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 09:13 AM   #238
DSquared
Draft Pick

Default Kirkland Sleep-aid

Picked this stuff up at costco in the US. helps a ton, not "supposed" to be habit forming. Works for me.

DSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 09:41 AM   #239
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSquared View Post
Picked this stuff up at costco in the US. helps a ton, not "supposed" to be habit forming. Works for me.

It's a first generation antihistamine very similar to Benadryl. The only real difference is it lasts longer which is why it fell out of favour in Canada and you can no longer find it.

Oddly enough, it's the active ingredient in Diclectin which is what we give for pregnancy nausea
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Street Pharmacist For This Useful Post:
Old 04-13-2017, 08:13 AM   #240
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Pharmacist View Post
It's a first generation antihistamine very similar to Benadryl. The only real difference is it lasts longer which is why it fell out of favour in Canada and you can no longer find it.

Oddly enough, it's the active ingredient in Diclectin which is what we give for pregnancy nausea
SP, Is that something we should use? I can get access but hesitate to use sleep aids.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote