Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-22-2020, 12:00 PM   #81
Lumby Lager
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG!WTF! View Post
Collector's item! I think they were building a real tasting facility on their vineyard last year. Do you know if it is done yet? I would be amazed if they could keep their prices so low with a new build like that.
I will investigate and let you know, we are not that far from them.
Lumby Lager is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lumby Lager For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2020, 12:22 PM   #82
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Hundred bucks a case delivered from Edge of the Earth. Just sayin.
They deliver?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
For that price, if delivery is essentially free or negligible, I can see me wanting 3 cases (Foch, blush and something white) much to my wife's chagrin. Even if it's not the best wines, at that price, they'd still be great gifts.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 12:23 PM   #83
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ya, I'm tempted. What time of year do they re-stock? Would be more interested in a cab sav or malbec.

EDIT: ah, I see spring to mid June. Setting a calendar reminder.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 12:26 PM   #84
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Ya, I'm tempted. What time of year do they re-stock? Would be more interested in a cab sav or malbec.
At that price point, you basically can't go wrong. I really doubt it's $100 a case delivered so I might have to wait to see if someone I know is going to be in the area and can pick it up for me... but I'm totally interested in grabbing some even without tasting.
Old 07-22-2020, 02:21 PM   #85
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
At that price point, you basically can't go wrong. I really doubt it's $100 a case delivered so I might have to wait to see if someone I know is going to be in the area and can pick it up for me... but I'm totally interested in grabbing some even without tasting.
My bill last year was $115. I think they charged me BC tax rates but shipped for free. It's a little hit and miss though so not sure what it will be this year. And yes they definitely deliver.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 02:26 PM   #86
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
My bill last year was $115. I think they charged me BC tax rates but shipped for free. It's a little hit and miss though so not sure what it will be this year. And yes they definitely deliver.
Hmm... I don't see the option for delivery on the site. I guess I might have to email them later and ask how much delivery would be.
Old 07-22-2020, 02:37 PM   #87
Lumby Lager
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I am heading back home to Calgary sometime in August. I should become a bootlegger! I think Fuzz lives close to my brother so he might get free delivery, the rest of you might need to fork over a sizeable amount for gas though.
Lumby Lager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 05:04 PM   #88
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

EDIT: ah, I see spring to mid June. Setting a calendar reminder.
Their stuff all looks super interesting to me. I especially enjoy the Foch styled wine. $100 per case is a heck of a deal and I don't generally ever remember seeing BC Foch in Calgary liquor stores for a reasonable price. I'm tempted to nab a few cases of stuff but stuck on which cases to select. Worst case scenario (pun not intended, but appreciated) the price point is still very good and bottles of wine always make great gifts when going to someone's place (whenever the hell Covid allows this to reasonably happen again).

Quote:
I emailed the email on the website and I was told around $35 per case. I'll double check about the PST if they ship. Overall price all in, that's not bad at all. Not as awesome as free shipping, but still not bad at all. It's prices that are worth considering for starting a casual wine cellar.

I was told a discount on cases and shipping could be negotiated if I did 10 cases, but I really don't think it's possible I could hit that number even if I asked everyone I knew.

Last edited by DoubleF; 07-22-2020 at 05:07 PM.
Old 07-22-2020, 05:09 PM   #89
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

We could put together a cp bulk order but that might be a bit painful. I guess the worse case scenario is some poor schlub gets stuck with a few cases. Hmm. I could be that schlub.
Old 07-22-2020, 11:14 PM   #90
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
We could put together a cp bulk order but that might be a bit painful. I guess the worse case scenario is some poor schlub gets stuck with a few cases. Hmm. I could be that schlub.
According to the response, the owner believes that he is required to charge PST even on sales to be delivered in Alberta because it was technically purchased in BC. So you were probably indeed charged PST last year as you suspected.

My understanding is that PST is not necessary in this case because it will not be consumed in BC and he will have legal documentation showing that he shipped it out of the province if he sends it via Canada Post... but I don't know if I care enough to argue about $20-30. I'm getting ready to go into quarantine to prepare for the birth of my second child so I'm kinda hoping to just do the order ASAP.

I was going to order 2 cases tomorrow afternoon and apparently you can order any mix of wine for each case? They use Canada post to deliver up to 10 cases (after that I'm guessing they'd look into alternative delivery which is why there delivery decreases after 10 cases) so it's basically flat rate per case.
Old 07-23-2020, 04:11 AM   #91
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah you just have to have a tax agreement with different provinces in order to apply that provinces tax to your shipped goods. Some businesses do and some don't. Not a huge deal. And yes for sure you can order a mixed case from them. I'd better get on this before you guys clean them out.
Old 07-25-2020, 03:37 PM   #92
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Found an Airbnb in OK falls for the weekend then on to Osoyoos

Walking down to Stag's Hollow in a few minutes.

Got meat from Doug's Homestead and did the Penticton Farmer's Market today. I'd skip the farmer's market, it was very underwhelming. Doug's Homestead is an absolute must. Amazing jerky and sausage. They sell out so best to get there at opening. We waited about an hour to get in.

It's smoking hot here.
Old 07-25-2020, 03:56 PM   #93
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

The farmer's market there is usually pretty decent, lots to see, lots of food to eat, usually some entertainment, a good place to kill an hour or so. With everything going on I think it's been scaled way back.
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 04:02 PM   #94
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

My favourite winery in naramata is easily Black Widow. When I'm there next I'll be joining their members club to get early selection for their wines every year, it's honestly that good.
PaperBagger'14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 06:12 PM   #95
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KootenayFlamesFan View Post
The farmer's market there is usually pretty decent, lots to see, lots of food to eat, usually some entertainment, a good place to kill an hour or so. With everything going on I think it's been scaled way back.
I was looking forward to it. We had heard good things, but as you pointed out, maybe COVID-19 has scaled things back.

Gonna try the one in Osoyoos next week.

Naramata bench tomorrow. Have Bench 1775 booked and will try to add a couple more.
Old 07-25-2020, 07:24 PM   #96
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

1775 has one of the best views on the bench...........great place to hang out for a few minutes after tasting and take some pics with the lake in the background, beautiful spot.
The Following User Says Thank You to KootenayFlamesFan For This Useful Post:
Old 07-25-2020, 08:33 PM   #97
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KootenayFlamesFan View Post
1775 has one of the best views on the bench...........great place to hang out for a few minutes after tasting and take some pics with the lake in the background, beautiful spot.
They also have an original Maud Lewis painting displayed in their tasting room, so if you've seen the movie Maudie or are just into famous Canadian artists & painters, that's another reason to visit.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 07:09 AM   #98
SeeGeeWhy
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

DoubleK - so jealous!
SeeGeeWhy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SeeGeeWhy For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2020, 12:14 PM   #99
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Stop #1 Painted Rock
Old 07-26-2020, 03:11 PM   #100
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

Haven’t been to that one yet, did you like it?