Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-20-2020, 10:30 AM   #61
InglewoodFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Stay out of the Brexit Pub in Penticton though...
InglewoodFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 12:08 PM   #62
DFO
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

If you're interested in dry white wines head to Terravista on the bench. Some great white varietals & blends not really seen elsewhere in the valley.
DFO is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DFO For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2020, 02:39 PM   #63
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by InglewoodFan View Post
Stay out of the Brexit Pub in Penticton though...
What a jackass that guy is.

There is definitely some feeling of caution about tourism and the virus, but overall I think most people are glad to have summertime business back in town. A summer without tourism is a terribly damaging summer for a place like Penticton.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 02:46 PM   #64
Jiggy_12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zulu29 View Post
My buddy Reg just started up a wine tour company called Decanted Tours, it’s worth checking out https://www.decantedtours.com/. Reg is a great guy, hilarious and knows the are like the back of his hand. You’ll have a great experience. Whatever you end up choosing I hope you have a great time!
Thanks for the recommendation. Just booked a tour for a week from today
Jiggy_12 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jiggy_12 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2020, 04:04 PM   #65
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

My personal favourites in Naramata are Township 7 and Hillside. Was really impressed with Little Engine as well, and confirmed that this last weekend by crushing a bottle of Malbec quite easily. If you want to mix it up hit up Bad Tattoo Brewing for some beer and pizza in town, or Maple Leaf Spirits.

Echo the sentiments of Red Rooster. I've never been a fan..

In Kelowna, Mission Hill and Quailsgate are a must. Mission Hill may leave you with a sense of pretentiousness though. Dirty Laundry in Summerland was good as well.

shermanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 10:50 PM   #66
Two Fivenagame
First Line Centre

Exp:

It's kinda frustrating trying to book tastings right now. Road 13 seems it only books for hour long tastings that include a tour. I just want to drink wine, screw the walking.
Old 07-21-2020, 07:33 AM   #67
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Welcome to BC?

https://twitter.com/user/status/1285345552939364354

https://twitter.com/user/status/1285446126674436097

Two private Canada Day parties source of Kelowna, B.C. outbreak

https://bc.ctvnews.ca/two-private-ca...reak-1.5022443

Last edited by troutman; 07-21-2020 at 09:22 AM.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 02:26 PM   #68
Two Fivenagame
First Line Centre

Exp:

Holy Scott Hannan we just had epic pours at Meyer Family. Their wine is ridiculous. Beautiful sit down tasting as well.
Old 07-21-2020, 02:46 PM   #69
schteve_d
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm not a big wine drinker but my parents are and lived in the Okanagan for many years. That means I have been to far more wineries than I ever wanted to! Most are alright, but it's just not my thing. I like a glass of red wine now and then but am nowhere near an aficionado.

Having said all that, probably the only winery I would return to because I really enjoyed it was Dirty Laundry in Summerland. Very interesting history and a neat set-up. Now, I haven't been in years, but when I went they had a little deli-style set up where you grabbed a picnic basket and then chose from different lunch-type meats, cheese, bread and side dishes. You can also purchase wines by the glass or bottle, then head out to the patio for your little "picnic".

Was a really neat idea and I enjoyed it. I would go back anytime.

https://www.dirtylaundry.ca/?utm_sou...utm_medium=gmb

Edit: Just had a look at the website and it looks like maybe they only do pizza now. Not sure I guess, would have to ask someone who has been there more recently than I. Also looks like they are serving beer now too. I have to say, I would probably still recommend it as it is a really neat
spot.

Here's a youtube video of "their story". A colourful past to say the least!

Last edited by schteve_d; 07-21-2020 at 03:13 PM.
schteve_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 04:02 PM   #70
puckhog
Backup Goalie

Exp:

My in-laws have a place in Summerland, so we've tasted a lot of the wines in that area. My wife has a strong preference for white, so we tend to look for wineries with a good selection of whites.

Our current favourites are Lunessence and Fitzpatrick. Both have a nice selection of whites, roses and sparkling and really nice patios with views of the lake.

I also agree with schteve_d on Dirty Laundry - they're a fun tasting experience. They have an interesting story that they've really leaned into, and their patio area is very nice. To me, their wine is good but not quite as good as the other two I mentioned. Definitely worth a visit, though.
puckhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 04:24 PM   #71
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

Poplar Grove closed on July 16th after an employee tested positive for coronavirus. Anyone who visited there on July 11 and 12 should monitor themselves for symptoms and/or get tested. The winery reopened yesterday, July 20th. It's probably best to avoid it forever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Jesus this site these days
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
He just seemed like a very nice person. I loved Squiggy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I should probably stop posting at this point
squiggs96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 06:02 PM   #72
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hundred bucks a case delivered from Edge of the Earth. Just sayin.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OMG!WTF! For This Useful Post:
Old 07-21-2020, 06:27 PM   #73
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG!WTF! View Post
Hundred bucks a case delivered from Edge of the Earth. Just sayin.
Is it any good?

https://edgeearth.ca/?page_id=55
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 06:47 PM   #74
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
No. But a hundred bucks!

Actually it's surprisingly good. The fancier crowd won't love it. They sell out of the Argus every year. It has a cute story too. They dont know what kind of grape it is so they named it after their cat. They pinched it from some throw away vine cuttings at Grey Monk in 1990. The local bear likes it too. He keeps the deer away throughout the year then comes and wipes out a couple rows just before they harvest.

I appreciate the little guys that sell out of their garage and keep products out of stores. Definitely worth a try. The Whatever rose is cool too cause it really is just whatever is left at the end if the season.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OMG!WTF! For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2020, 12:45 AM   #75
Lumby Lager
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
No. But a hundred bucks!

Actually it's surprisingly good. The fancier crowd won't love it. They sell out of the Argus every year. It has a cute story too. They dont know what kind of grape it is so they named it after their cat. They pinched it from some throw away vine cuttings at Grey Monk in 1990. The local bear likes it too. He keeps the deer away throughout the year then comes and wipes out a couple rows just before they harvest.

I appreciate the little guys that sell out of their garage and keep products out of stores. Definitely worth a try. The Whatever rose is cool too cause it really is just whatever is left at the end if the season.
Have you been to her property? Or did you buy it at the Armstrong farmers market? I talk with her all the time, nice lady.
Lumby Lager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 05:30 AM   #76
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumby Lager View Post
Have you been to her property? Or did you buy it at the Armstrong farmers market? I talk with her all the time, nice lady.
I've only bought from their property and only from a guy. I've not met the woman yet. Their dog is nice too. Last year I went early in the year, the second day they were open and the guy was surprised and said something like...Hmm, someone came yesterday too. Gonna be a busy year. He still had to put the labels on the bottles he sold to me.
Old 07-22-2020, 09:11 AM   #77
Lumby Lager
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
I've only bought from their property and only from a guy. I've not met the woman yet. Their dog is nice too. Last year I went early in the year, the second day they were open and the guy was surprised and said something like...Hmm, someone came yesterday too. Gonna be a busy year. He still had to put the labels on the bottles he sold to me.
They have a booth at the Vernon and Armstrong farmers markets. It’s funny they mess up the labels sometimes I have a bottle of their Overboard white that has a label from The Overboard red.
Lumby Lager is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lumby Lager For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2020, 09:36 AM   #78
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

Dirty Laundry's wines aren't bad, but their whole experience and story kind of feels like they're laying the marketing on a bit heavy for my tastes.
Torture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 09:44 AM   #79
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
They have a booth at the Vernon and Armstrong farmers markets. It’s funny they mess up the labels sometimes I have a bottle of their Overboard white that has a label from The Overboard red.

Collector's item! I think they were building a real tasting facility on their vineyard last year. Do you know if it is done yet? I would be amazed if they could keep their prices so low with a new build like that.
Old 07-22-2020, 09:50 AM   #80
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torture View Post
Dirty Laundry's wines aren't bad, but their whole experience and story kind of feels like they're laying the marketing on a bit heavy for my tastes.
Dirty Laundry was kind of the pioneer for the Okanagan in making the fun/playful/naughty winery brand work. Early on they were just another quaint winery with a lovely location, but after they made the change in their branding to go after that large and underserved segment of wine tourists who wanted fun instead of pomp, it was clear they had hit on something that would make a lot more money.

I pretty much stopped going to them after their new brand took off because it just got too busy and the wines were just okay, but they deserve credit for paving the way for other Okanagan wineries to be more adventurous and playful with their brands. It's a pretty significant contribution to the local industry, especially since most Okanagan wineries aren't suited for the export market and need to have strong engagement with a domestic market that doesn't have deep wine culture roots.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote