Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 02-10-2017, 08:29 AM   #4121
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not a bad ride this morning, was great to head over to Eau Claire for the winter bike to work day event. Ran into lots of familiar faces and members of all the all powerful bike lobby.

Things are going to get really sloppy this afternoon I bet.
Old 02-10-2017, 09:15 AM   #4122
worth
Franchise Player

Exp:

I should have stopped in at Eau Claire, it's not that far out of my way but I totally blanked on that. Got some nice sunrise shots from George C. King Bridge (didn't realize it was called this).
Old 02-10-2017, 10:18 AM   #4123
worth
Franchise Player

Exp:

We won an award apparently:

Quote:
On Thursday, the city was honoured with a 2017 “Winnie” Award that recognizes Calgary for “winter cycling excellence.”

“They were selected for their commitment to year-round cycling in general,” said Anders Swanson, Canada Bikes Chair. “The focus on taking it as an essential service, and collecting data.”
http://www.metronews.ca/news/calgary...nce-award.html
The Following User Says Thank You to worth For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2017, 06:26 AM   #4124
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Awesome out there this morning. Dressed in spring gear in Feb, I'll take it!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to habernac For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2017, 07:49 AM   #4125
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah that was nice, had to 311 the Fox Hollow hill. Completely covered in snow drifts from the west wind the last few days. Other than that not a bad ride at all.

Last edited by Bigtime; 02-14-2017 at 08:38 AM.
Old 02-13-2017, 07:51 AM   #4126
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by worth View Post
I read that as whiny and assumed it was an award for citizens who whine about bike lanes and are never affected by them.
Old 02-13-2017, 07:53 AM   #4127
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I mistakenly hit the luge run down the bluff. Not rideable! Most of the rest was good, but hopefully we get a full melt to clear the side streets. The ones that were plowed are fine, but the others are getting soft and snirty.
Old 02-14-2017, 08:39 AM   #4128
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
Yeah that was nice, had to 311 the Fox Hollow hill. Completely covered in snow drifts from the west wind the last few days. Other than that not a bad ride at all.
Still wasn't cleared yesterday afternoon, and this morning same condition. Yet another 311 request sent.

Downright warm again this morning, no ski goggles and lighter layers for the ride.
Old 02-14-2017, 08:45 AM   #4129
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

My safe path bypassing the luge run proved to not be so safe. Almost ate it hard when the cleared paved path turned to solid ice. Had to walk the rest of the way. May have to use the 10th st lanes for the next few days. Really hoping the melting clears it enough that it doesn't stay icy for the next month when the cold returns.
Old 02-14-2017, 09:01 AM   #4130
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Glad my morning ride is a main road. The paths would be death at this freeze/thaw stage. Going home, it's fine as the temps are way above freezing.
Old 02-14-2017, 09:05 AM   #4131
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by habernac View Post
Glad my morning ride is a main road. The paths would be death at this freeze/thaw stage. Going home, it's fine as the temps are way above freezing.
Some dicey parts for sure at low points or where the drainage is bad you got a combination of slush/ice. Best to not overrun your headlight so you can slow down/change your direction slightly to handle it.
Old 02-14-2017, 09:37 AM   #4132
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Last edited by KTrain; 02-14-2017 at 09:42 AM.
Old 02-16-2017, 08:16 PM   #4133
worth
Franchise Player

Exp:

With the beautiful cycling weather this week, thought i'd link to some media of my trip to Oregon last June that was recently put together. Pretty sure i've not shared this stuff here yet.

My friends photo blog of the trip:
http://www.hikingphoto.com/2017/01/1...-oregon-coast/

And a 15 minute video I put together. First project i've done of this kind, learned a lot, I would do many things differently next time.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to worth For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2017, 08:44 AM   #4134
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

What a ride! Thanks for sharing.
The Following User Says Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2017, 04:13 PM   #4135
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Taking this one slightly off topic here. What are the laws regarding passing a cyclist in a playground zone when they are in a dedicated bike lane (or even if there is not a lane). Yesterday I was driving on 53 Street NW, north of Market Mall and on this road there is dedicated bike lane in the shoulder area of the road. It is not seperated by a curb etc, just one of those ones with the line painted on the road, if that makes a difference. Anyway there is a dude cruising on his bike at a pretty good clip albeit it still slower than vehicle traffic. I was behind a car that slowed and would not pass the cyclist as we were travelling through a playground zone which got me thinking. It is against the law to pass another vehicle in a playground zone regardless of speed - are bikes considered a vehicle in the eyes of the law? Can you pass a cyclist in a playground zone or does the same law apply as with two vehicles?

Bikes are considered vehicles in some circumstances, is this one of them?

Honest question as I was initially annoyed at the guy for slowing way down but then I realized I actually don't know what the law is in this situation.
Old 02-22-2017, 04:21 PM   #4136
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

my guess is that you could likely get a ticket for this; however, you might expect a warning first unless you gave the cop attitude.
Old 02-22-2017, 04:58 PM   #4137
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Interesting, I guess technically ya, that would probably be illegal. In reality? I ride past a playground zone on 10th in the same situation every day and a good 10-15 cars pass me in it. I think I've had a few cops pass me too. Maybe I should let them know they are breaking the law? How do you think that conversation would go?
Old 02-23-2017, 01:17 PM   #4138
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

so yesterday I decided to book myself a little mountain bike vacation in revelstoke with wandering wheels. booked the four day smooth operater tour.

rides in golden, frisby ridge, keystone basin and mt. macpherson - really looking forward to this.

goal for next few months will be to start working out a little harder, and eating better including staying off the Coca-Cola for the next few months.

also to my surprise, the wife suggested that we should consider going to whitefish for vacation. whitefish has a solid selection of sweet trails as well - could be a glorious august of riding for me.
Old 02-23-2017, 01:20 PM   #4139
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hoping to get back on the bike tomorrow after being away for a few days. I've missed it!
The Following User Says Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2017, 01:23 PM   #4140
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Was a sloppy ride in today. Happy for fenders and shoe covers.
Closed Thread