Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-31-2016, 10:36 AM   #261
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

I just has a pair for aug3 come up. I find better success with the TM app

surferguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 10:40 AM   #262
Major Major
First Line Centre

Exp:

If anyone comes across extra tickets for the first Vancouver show, I would love to buy them.
Major Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 10:42 AM   #263
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Looks like they just released a bunch of tickets for August 1
bossy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 11:07 AM   #264
rd_aaron
Scoring Winger

Exp:

No dice for tickets on either day.
rd_aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 11:18 AM   #265
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

AMEX presale FTW!
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 11:19 AM   #266
neo45
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Got 2 for the Aug 3rd show. Will be my 5th Hip show
neo45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 11:33 AM   #267
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Browsing Stubhub is agitating and depressing. Anyone who is selling on there this quick, and especially above face value, can eat a bag of dicks.

I'm not understanding how that would work, though. Aren't we required to present credit cards and ID at the doors? Is that only certain shows?

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 11:46 AM   #268
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamer View Post
Browsing Stubhub is agitating and depressing. Anyone who is selling on there this quick, and especially above face value, can eat a bag of dicks.

I'm not understanding how that would work, though. Aren't we required to present credit cards and ID at the doors? Is that only certain shows?
There are a few prevailing theories as to how it happens and how people get around it.

The most popular, although not entirely likely considering they are competitors, is that Ticketmaster illegally sells the tickets directly to stubhub and gets a chunk of the resale profits. It should be noted ticketmaster has their own resale methods within their site and some people blame them for taking all the tickets and only releasing a small portion to the public.

This still wouldn't explain how they get around the credit card requirements, other than maybe some tickets are listed without that requirement.

The other is that scalpers use bots to buy all the tickets. Again, no one seems 100% sure how this gets around the requirement of ID and card at the door.

The main thing is that it is not very practical to check the tickets and IDs of 5000-10000 people at the door of a concert. In all likelihood 90% of people don't get their tickets checked. In my experience this has only ever worked when the tickets were actually picked up at the door as you enter through a special fan club or presale entrance. That's always an extremely small part of the total crowd though.

I've heard that the whole ticket and ID thing is fake anyway. The only time it ever works is if you are using will call. I've never heard of a band/promoter/venue actually making every single ticket holder show ID and CC at the door. It also isn't practical, sheer numbers and delays aside, because of the amount of people that go in groups. How would you get in if you were meeting the holder there and he got in already?

Also to remember, and no disrespect to the Hip, but most bands love scalpers. While they often publicly decry their actions, secretly it is great for the band. It increases demand and allows them to almost guarantee sell outs by creating a market for their tickets. What i mean is, some shows won't sell out but the perception is that you, as a consumer, will be battling scalpers and that you must buy tickets right away. Then the artist gets to act all high an mighty and say they had nothing to do with it, when for all we know it is actually them and their promoter selling the tickets to stubhub for a profit. Meanwhile they get to cry foul and say that they feel bad that their fans are getting screwed by the system. But don't worry, they'll add a second show! just for you the fan. Not all bands are like this but a lot are.

Last edited by Cecil Terwilliger; 05-31-2016 at 11:52 AM.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2016, 11:51 AM   #269
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

My tickets for the 3rd don't say anything about a credit card requirement or anything. I was able to print the PDFs without any additional hassle.
Old 05-31-2016, 12:01 PM   #270
Frequitude
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I think only the Ticketmaster Platinum tickets (i.e. the Ticketmaster "demand based pricing" loophole they use to essentially scalp tickets) require the credit card and ID at the door. Like, you don't actually get a ticket (as I have just learned through this process...god help me if I lose a credit card in the next few months and have to work it out with Ticketmaster).

I think all the tickets purchased via the standard search and purchase for face value give you an actual ticket that can then be resold. These are the ones being put up on Stubhub.
Frequitude is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Frequitude For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2016, 12:16 PM   #271
calf
broke the first rule

Exp:

My tickets are CC at the door, and I did the standard search/face value pay. Could be location based.

I've done CC entry at a baseball game in the states before. I didn't have to show ID, but the system was slick. I inserted my CC into a slot at the turnstile, it processed for a few seconds, then the physical tickets were printed right there. Easy. Doubt that'll be the case at the Dome though.
calf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 12:19 PM   #272
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

In Victoria the only option was to pick-up tickets at will call.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 01:30 PM   #273
rain_e
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Only certain seats are CC only. The entire floor is CC only but there has to be some loophole.
rain_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 02:27 PM   #274
CofR
Olympic Guru

Exp:

Have done CC entry for NCAA events in the US, was surprisingly easy and convenient
CofR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 02:34 PM   #275
East Coast Flame
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I went to a concert that had CC only entry at Rogers Centre in Vancouver and it wasn't a problem at all. I believe the Dome tried it for Mumford and Sons last year.

I also got normal print-at-home tickets for The Hip.
East Coast Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 02:40 PM   #276
spetch
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Been wondering about CC checks as my tickets are to be mailed to me since they were part of the Chrysler Club offer. If they mail me regular hard copies of the ticket would they be subject to the CC check?
spetch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 03:43 PM   #277
Frequitude
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just got off the phone with Ticketmaster clarifying the credit card / drivers license entry system. I had four questions and their answers are below.

Q: Do I just go to any door or do I go to a special door?
A: Go to any door. You'll be able to swipe in at all of them.

Q: My magnetic stripe is getting worn out and I was hoping to replace my card. How will that affect this?
A: Keep the old card. They will swipe it anyways just to get the number off of it.

Q: What if my magnetic stripe is too worn out to be readable?
A: Bring a copy of the Visa statement from the month you bought the ticket. It will have the card number on it and show the charge.

Q: What happens if someone loses their card?
A: Bring a copy of the Visa statement from the month you bought the ticket. It will have the card number on it and show the charge.
Old 05-31-2016, 05:19 PM   #278
Ace
First Line Centre

Exp:

So the way I see it they could still add 2 more Calgary shows?
Old 05-31-2016, 05:37 PM   #279
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

CC reader is simple. Pretty sure it was Black Keys concert where I did it at the dome. It is just like a 50/50 ticket purchase. Give them card, they (usually located just outside the various gates a few feet) scan it and ticket prints for you to then go into any entrance. It is usually only for the expensive seats ie first 2 price classes. I got two tickets on floor that are CC check to get the ticket and 2 others that are print at home, ready right now.

This whole process has been fun and disappointing to watch with reaction on twitter and here. People complaing at 10:05 show is sold out and conspiracy theories. Each transaction to confirm tickets has a max time of 13 min to complete if you add all the steps time allotments. Also anyone can post on Stub Hub without having the tickets in their hand already. Happens all the time with people and Season Tickets. The write up usually says tickets avaialbale at 'this date' for download or mail out.

Last point is each pre-sale has an alloted amount throughout any venue ie: Amex 10%, Fan Club 17%, gen public 40%, etc. Just cause they are out of pre sale for these two days does not mean the whole show is sold out. There are 6 pre and sale categories for these shows.

It will be a great last tour for the band. Hope not 'last shows' put can almost guarantee last tour.

Enjoy everyone!
14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 05:45 PM   #280
Frequitude
Franchise Player

Exp:

For those who missed out on tickets, or can't quite break the bank for them, it sounds like CBC is in talks to broadcast the Kingston show!

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/arts/tra...-cbc-1.3609414

Quote:
Frustrated Tragically Hip fans — some who couldn't snag presale tickets today or yesterday — are calling on the CBC to broadcast the band's final concert, and the CBC says it is interested in doing just that.

A series of petitions and open letters to CBC management have been posted online, urging the public broadcaster to record the final show of the band's upcoming tour, which is scheduled to end in the Hip's hometown of Kingston. Fans across the country are pushing for that Aug. 20 show at the Rogers K-Rock Centre to be aired on CBC.

Emma Bédard, a spokeswoman for theCBC, responded to the requests on Tuesday, saying "we are interested in airing the Tragically Hip's final show and are having conversations with the band to see if we can make it happen."

Last edited by Frequitude; 05-31-2016 at 06:03 PM.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Frequitude For This Useful Post: