Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-04-2019, 07:08 AM   #1
manwiches
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:
Default Looking for Opinions - Telescopes

Hey all

My 5 year old son has been asking me for a telescope for Xmas. He loves looking at the stars and moon, and constantly wants to borrow my phone so we can see the Starfinder app I have. I myself am an astronomy enthusiast, and love to look at these just as much as he does.

I've done a TON of research, and want to get something that is somewhat appropriate for him, but also, something that he can grow into as well and that I'd be happy with too.

I have it narrowed down to a couple. I am open to suggestion though.

- Orion Observer 80ST Equatorial Mount - https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07...K6Y9EEQB&psc=1
- Celestron Astromaster 76AZ - https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00...K6Y9EEQB&psc=1
- Orion SpaceProbe II 76mm EQ Mount - https://www.amazon.ca/Orion-SpacePro...NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Some things that are important to me:

- Decent optics, enough to see some of the far planet details (Saturn's rings, Jupiter's spot), and some deep space shots (nebula, star clusters, etc)
- Ease of use, but not so simple that my son will outgrow it, and I will be frustrated. He is a bright kid, and can pick up things pretty easily.
- Sturdy and solid construction/parts
- I'm willing to spend around the $200-250 range

Question:
- Is an equatorial mount too much for my son? I've personally never used one, but from my research, I don't think it's that difficult once you learn it. Or is an Alt/Az a better option?
manwiches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 10:02 AM   #2
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Any of those are fine for a starter scope. You are probably not seeing Jupiter's spot with any of those but you can see Saturn's rings. I think people overestimate what they can see if they are not familiar with scopes.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 10:05 AM   #3
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Ultimate Best Telescope Buying Guide 2019

https://theplanets.org/best-telescopes-buying-guide/
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 10:33 AM   #4
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

I have one of these in my garage https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/c...1098p.html#srp

Never opened as we bought it and then ended up with a different one and never returned it. I know we got it on sale also. Whether this is a good one or not is beyond me.
Raekwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 10:40 AM   #5
manwiches
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Thanks for the info!

Re: Celestron 70Az. I noticed it on sale this week at Cdn Tire too for 100 bucks, but every review I read, it's terrible.

I've read that EQ mounts are pretty terrible for beginners and children, unless you align the polar axis to 90. As long as you get an Alt/Ax mount with slow motion controls, like the one I have below, it would be okay.

I'm also considering the Meade Infinity 90mm, after reading this http://www.skyandtelescope.com/wp-co...s/3-scopes.pdf

Meade Infinity 90mm - https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00...IK6Y9EEQB&th=1

I also saw this one gets outstanding reviews too...

Meade Lightbridge Mini 114 - https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01...GY4Y8BM7&psc=1

I was thinking of the Orion StarBlast 4.5 seen in that article, but I read there and elsewhere that the planet detail is not very good on this one, even though the scope is beautiful

Orion Starblast 4.5 w the EQ mount - https://www.amazon.ca/Orion-StarBlas...s%2C173&sr=8-1

If you had to choose one, what would you choose? I'm leaning towards the Meade Infinity now... I want something that my kid will happily use, and want to learn from.

Last edited by manwiches; 12-04-2019 at 10:44 AM.
Old 12-04-2019, 10:56 AM   #6
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

This is what we ended up buying also on sale. https://www.costco.ca/celestron-lcm-...100466003.html

I can't give much of an opinion on it as we set it up once on a cold night to try and see meteors and gave up. Hoping to test it out a bunch more this summer.
Old 12-04-2019, 11:06 AM   #7
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raekwon View Post
This is what we ended up buying also on sale. https://www.costco.ca/celestron-lcm-...100466003.html

I can't give much of an opinion on it as we set it up once on a cold night to try and see meteors and gave up. Hoping to test it out a bunch more this summer.

Using a telescope to see meteors is pretty hit or miss, no/? I mean, that would be pretty crazy lucky to be looking at such narrow view of the sky and catch seeing one.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2019, 12:24 PM   #8
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Using a telescope to see meteors is pretty hit or miss, no/? I mean, that would be pretty crazy lucky to be looking at such narrow view of the sky and catch seeing one.
Hindsight is 20/20 my friend. Lol

In our defence it was during a shower but yeah.
Old 12-04-2019, 02:05 PM   #9
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

If your kid's is into the hobby, I recommend taking him to one of the Open Houses the Royal Astronomical Society hosts at the Rothney Observatory every summer. Not only can you get up close to the telescope that the observatory has, but many of the members setup all their crazy telescopes for the public to look through them. The only problem is that of course that it's in the evening/night time, which may be tough for a 5 year old.

Also, if you're a member of the Society, you can rent telescopes from them for really cheap. They hold a lot of talks and stuff throughout the year around the city.
Table 5 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2019, 02:35 PM   #10
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
If your kid's is into the hobby, I recommend taking him to one of the Open Houses the Royal Astronomical Society hosts at the Rothney Observatory every summer. Not only can you get up close to the telescope that the observatory has, but many of the members setup all their crazy telescopes for the public to look through them. The only problem is that of course that it's in the evening/night time, which may be tough for a 5 year old.

Also, if you're a member of the Society, you can rent telescopes from them for really cheap. They hold a lot of talks and stuff throughout the year around the city.
They do this in the winter, too, which is better for a kid because it's dark earlier. I went with my family in February 2018.

Maybe for Christmas you could give your son the gift of going to the observatory? When we went it absolutely killed any interest any of my family members had in astronomy, which is kind of funny. Even looking at their best telescope, you're just seeing a fuzzy blob look like a bigger fuzzy blob. It's painfully lame was my takeaway.

The most interesting thing we found was just looking at the moon through the binoculars on tripods of some of the amateurs that were just sort of hanging around there. You can see some detail and that's pretty cool.

Overall, wouldn't do it again. I don't know anybody with a telescope that uses it more than a couple of times. If your heart is set on buying one, maybe buy one of the 200 for sale on Kijiji. Get a way better one used for the same money you're about to spend on a new one. Definitely nothing wrong with buying pre-owned for a gift.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2019, 02:37 PM   #11
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Even if you caught one, it probably would have been visible through the lens for like 1/1000000000th of a second. lol, that hilarious you guys tried, though. We've had a few hair-brained schemes doomed to fail like that, too, I'm sure.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 02:51 PM   #12
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

wow, i never would have thought that Canadian tire carried telescopes. according to the website the mckenzie towne store has 11 in stock in aisle 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raekwon View Post
Old 12-04-2019, 03:30 PM   #13
manwiches
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

So after researching the eff out of this topic for a week, and having my amazon wish list go from 1 to 15 and back to 3, i settled on this one. From everything I've heard and read on forums, internet reviews, youtube videos, this will be the best thing for my son to grow into, as well as me to play with too. I'd love to spend the money on a 600+ Dobsonian, but I'll wait to see how my son embraces this one.

The Following User Says Thank You to manwiches For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2019, 03:49 PM   #14
jmac98
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by manwiches View Post
So after researching the eff out of this topic for a week, and having my amazon wish list go from 1 to 15 and back to 3, i settled on this one. From everything I've heard and read on forums, internet reviews, youtube videos, this will be the best thing for my son to grow into, as well as me to play with too. I'd love to spend the money on a 600+ Dobsonian, but I'll wait to see how my son embraces this one.

Good news and bad news.

The bad news is that your link doesn’t work.

The good news is that I get a picture of a different dog every time I try which says “we couldn’t fetch that page”.

Hey, wonderful gift for your aspiring astronomer. I hope it brings you years of collective joy.
jmac98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 03:50 PM   #15
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Knowing nothing about telescopes, that one looked cool.

Just waiting on the hordes to now crap on your choice.
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Fighting Banana Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 04:13 PM   #16
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by manwiches View Post
Thanks for the info!

Re: Celestron 70Az. I noticed it on sale this week at Cdn Tire too for 100 bucks, but every review I read, it's terrible.

I've read that EQ mounts are pretty terrible for beginners and children, unless you align the polar axis to 90. As long as you get an Alt/Ax mount with slow motion controls, like the one I have below, it would be okay.

I'm also considering the Meade Infinity 90mm, after reading this http://www.skyandtelescope.com/wp-co...s/3-scopes.pdf

I also saw this one gets outstanding reviews too...

Meade Lightbridge Mini 114 - https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01...GY4Y8BM7&psc=1

I was thinking of the Orion StarBlast 4.5 seen in that article, but I read there and elsewhere that the planet detail is not very good on this one, even though the scope is beautiful

Orion Starblast 4.5 w the EQ mount - https://www.amazon.ca/Orion-StarBlas...s%2C173&sr=8-1

If you had to choose one, what would you choose? I'm leaning towards the Meade Infinity now... I want something that my kid will happily use, and want to learn from.
Given the choice I will go with Meade every time. I have always owned Meade scopes and they are amazing quality!
Old 12-04-2019, 04:18 PM   #17
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

I know Sliver's post sounds pessimistic but he's not entirely wrong. You have to have a real love for this stuff to use a telescope often. They don't work as well in the city because of all the light and, if you happen to have a place outside the city to use it, you're still going to be limited in what you're able to see.

Everyone I know with their own telescope has used it a couple times and it collects dust.

The observatory nights are great for getting to see through the high-end telescopes. It's also better than investing hundreds of dollars in something that will collect dust.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 04:31 PM   #18
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
I know Sliver's post sounds pessimistic but he's not entirely wrong. You have to have a real love for this stuff to use a telescope often. They don't work as well in the city because of all the light and, if you happen to have a place outside the city to use it, you're still going to be limited in what you're able to see.

Everyone I know with their own telescope has used it a couple times and it collects dust.

The observatory nights are great for getting to see through the high-end telescopes. It's also better than investing hundreds of dollars in something that will collect dust.
This is not always the case. I got curious about astronomy at about 7, my parents got me binoculars and I could not see much with them but I still used them. Next Christmas I got my first scope, a radio shack cheapo but better than the binocs and until I was 12 I wore the hell out of that thing. The kid across the street was into it as well and I would share it. I remember many a cold December night freezing our nuts off out there looking at stuff. He had a subscription to Astronomy magazine which was great back then before the internet to help with sky guides. When he turned 16 his parents got him a Meade DS16! It was freakin huge and his dad and my dad helped us build a mini dome in his backyard to keep it in as the tube was heavy and massive! I will never forget our first gazes at deep space items like the Ring Nebula, so exciting! Him and I still go out together with our scopes to this day, I hope your boy keeps his interest. If not you always have a fun hobby for yourself.
The Following User Says Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2019, 06:55 PM   #19
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Maybe for Christmas you could give your son the gift of going to the observatory? When we went it absolutely killed any interest any of my family members had in astronomy, which is kind of funny. Even looking at their best telescope, you're just seeing a fuzzy blob look like a bigger fuzzy blob. It's painfully lame was my takeaway.
Yeah, I don’t disagree with you, I was a little underwhelmed myself in terms of what you saw through the telescope. But I think it’s one of those hobbies that the more you understand the science and the context of astronomy, the more interesting is. But if you’re expecting to look into a telescope and expect some sort of amazing light show, it’s disappointment city.

What I personally find interesting about it though is the night sky photography aspect. Ie shooting the Milky Way, Northern Lights etc.
Table 5 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2019, 08:07 AM   #20
manwiches
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I've always been a huge astronomy/space nerd. So much so, that for a good part of my life growing up, I wanted to have a career in space/aeronautics or anything of the sort. My mom got me a toy telescope when I was 8/9 years old, and even though I couldn't see anything through it, I spent as much time as I could even trying. I still have it in a box somewhere. I always wanted a good telescope growing up to explore the stars. Still to this day, anytime there is a clear night, I will stop the car somewhere there is little light, and just lie on the hood of my car and get lost in the stars. If I'm home, I'll go the backyard and just lay on my couch.

When my son was born, I spent a lot of time with him at night just pointing at stars, showing him the moon, etc. I've done that at least once a week or more with him. With the advent of smart phones, I have the SkyView App (I do realize there are others, but this is what I have for now), and that has helped with my son's interest in being outside longer and understanding what he sees.

This past summer, we spent at least 4-5 nights after the sun went down, and just laid outside in the backyard on the outdoor couch, where there is minimal light, looking up in the skies and telling each other what we see. We'd spend 30-45 minutes before bed time just talking and telling stories about what we think we saw up there.

I'm surprised, but he loves watching anything to do with space, including documentaries. I took him to see Interstellar this summer when it was on IMAX, and he sat through the whole thing, completely enthralled. After, he wouldn't stop asking me questions about what happened and why. It absolutely blew my mind that he was so interested. He keep saying he wants to be an astronaut for the past 2 years too. And he's asked for a telescope since the summer, after telling him about what it could do, and also going to the science center to look at what they can do.

All this being said, I think the purchase will be a good investment for him and me. I was hoping to get a bigger and more advanced scope, but I think this is perfect for him, and I hope he will learn to love space and the stars as much as I do. If he loves star gazing and exploring still when he's a teen, maybe I'll invest in a more advanced and better scope then.

Thanks for everybody's opinions and thoughts. It meant a lot.

Last edited by manwiches; 12-05-2019 at 08:10 AM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to manwiches For This Useful Post: