Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-12-2021, 01:46 PM   #1241
Igottago
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepingmoose View Post
A Disney employee is different than an actor that works with Disney - she's essentially an independent contractor. She works on the project she's contracted for, then isn't an employee anymore. It's a lot different than the custodian sweeping at Disneyland. The project is done, so they have every right to say they don't want to use her services again.

If you hire a plumber to fix your toilet, then afterwards find out he's someone who's values don't match with your current values, you don't have to keep hiring him back to fix your toilet in perpetuity.

Lots of employers have a social media policy, so I would expect that every employee would be subject to the same scrutiny - assuming they identify themselves as a Disney employee, they would be subject to discipline if their actions reflect poorly on Disney. They may not search the Twitter of everyone, but if they get a complaint, they would investigate - just as they likely did with Carano. It's easy to see what she's doing because there's hashtags for it. She was clearly involved with Disney because she's in a high profile role, so whatever she Tweets reflects poorly on them.
No. But if he did a great job fixing my toilet, and I require his services again I'm probably calling him back. Unless he did something clearly egregious that I hear about I'm not going to go through his social media and find evidence of his stupidity and hold it against him. I don't need to vet every person I work with or deal with down to that level of scrutiny. Let's face it..this is where the US is as a society. The plumber has to be on your side of the political isle, and if he's not you've got to through and find all the dumb things he said to use it against him. That is a pretty terrible place to be as a society.

"I was like Christ, lying on my back, with my arms outstretched, crucified"
-- Frank Musil - Early January 1994

Last edited by Igottago; 02-12-2021 at 01:49 PM.
Igottago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 01:53 PM   #1242
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igottago View Post
No. But if he did a great job fixing my toilet, and I require his services again I'm probably calling him back. Unless he did something clearly egregious that I hear about I'm not going to go through his social media and find evidence of his stupidity and hold it against him. I don't need to vet every person I work with or deal with. Let's face it..this is where the US is as a society. The plumber has to be on your side of the political isle, and if he's not you've got to through and find all the dumb things he said to use it against him. That is a pretty terrible place to be as a society.
For some reason it will not let me embed. So link it is!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KmsK3ertkM

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2021, 02:18 PM   #1243
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Some fantasy island reactions in here. A few points:

- No, Disney did not "take her microphone," they simply pulled their branding off of it. They did not silence her, this has nothing to do with freedom of speech, they simply do not want to be associated with her.

- No, Disney should not "just be honest." Yes, we all know Disney fired her solely because she's making them look bad. No, that would not be the intelligent thing to say from a PR/brand/financial perspective. Disney is not stupid.

- No, Disney doesn't not have to go through some idiotic "purity test" for 77000 employees or whatever. Rick in accounting can hold whatever views he wants and share them, and so long as no connection back to Disney can be made, nobody at Disney cares. Disney does not care about Carano's views, Disney cares about being associated with them, get that clear.

- "How can an organization function like this? How can society?" Well, if you look at what Disney is actually doing through a very common sense lens, I can tell you with certainty that almost every organization functions like this. This is not new, or surprising, or interesting. This is why PR exists. This is why marketing exists. Make companies and products look very good, and when they look bad, make it less bad. Because good = more money, and bad = less money. And if you as a representative of your business make them look bad, they will probably fire you. How in the world is this new to people?? There are few truly altruistic people in big, high profitable businesses, because being truly altruistic is not profitable. There are many more who claim to be at times when it IS profitable, and only to the extent in which it is profitable.

Do I wish this was the case? No, but it's reality. People seem determined to make this sound like a lot more than what it is, which is a business cutting ties with someone so they are not associated with something that may negatively impact them financially.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2021, 02:26 PM   #1244
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResAlien View Post
This is simple. Like Locke said she F’d with the money, you don’t F with the money. The cries of cancel culture ring hollow as reasons to whine. She couldn’t shut up long enough to have Disney hand her all the money in the world. She’s an idiot; not for her silly political and gross social views but because she couldn’t control herself on social media long enough to rake in all that sweet sweet Disney cash. You’ll excuse me if I don’t shed a tear for her plight.
Pft, she has a career now making Ben Shapiro movies and speaking at CPAC every year and being a guest on Joe Rogan every week, who needs Disney money?
Old 02-12-2021, 02:49 PM   #1245
Igottago
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Some fantasy island reactions in here. A few points:

- No, Disney did not "take her microphone," they simply pulled their branding off of it. They did not silence her, this has nothing to do with freedom of speech, they simply do not want to be associated with her.

- No, Disney should not "just be honest." Yes, we all know Disney fired her solely because she's making them look bad. No, that would not be the intelligent thing to say from a PR/brand/financial perspective. Disney is not stupid.

- No, Disney doesn't not have to go through some idiotic "purity test" for 77000 employees or whatever. Rick in accounting can hold whatever views he wants and share them, and so long as no connection back to Disney can be made, nobody at Disney cares. Disney does not care about Carano's views, Disney cares about being associated with them, get that clear.

- "How can an organization function like this? How can society?" Well, if you look at what Disney is actually doing through a very common sense lens, I can tell you with certainty that almost every organization functions like this. This is not new, or surprising, or interesting. This is why PR exists. This is why marketing exists. Make companies and products look very good, and when they look bad, make it less bad. Because good = more money, and bad = less money. And if you as a representative of your business make them look bad, they will probably fire you. How in the world is this new to people?? There are few truly altruistic people in big, high profitable businesses, because being truly altruistic is not profitable. There are many more who claim to be at times when it IS profitable, and only to the extent in which it is profitable.

Do I wish this was the case? No, but it's reality. People seem determined to make this sound like a lot more than what it is, which is a business cutting ties with someone so they are not associated with something that may negatively impact them financially.
The relative ease with which someone makes a company look bad, more so due to a hypersensitive/offended "public" (usually keyboard warriors) in the internet age is the core problem, not the fact that people get fired for making a company look bad. I have no issues with people being fired for glaring mistakes or issues, or even idiocy. Or heck, I don't even care if the company simply doesn't want to work with someone. The problem is the benchmark for the types of transgressions that warrant a cutting of ties in this era, has lowered to laughable levels.

The Following User Says Thank You to Igottago For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2021, 02:50 PM   #1246
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
For some reason it will not let me embed. So link it is!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KmsK3ertkM

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2021, 03:01 PM   #1247
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mull View Post
Lets just put the post that got her fired side by side your last paragraph

Here is Disney's official reason for firing her stupid ass

So no, Disney never said it was dangerous, they said it was abhorrent.

As for your very stupid comment

No, but if one of their employees start trending for wrongly invoking the holocausts, or they say something that reflects poorly on their employer and there is a public outcry loud enough to get the big mouse's attention, they will be looked at.

This is nothing but common sense.
How big of an outcry are we talking about now?

Now that Trump's gone, is it necessary. Carano feels persecuted for her beliefs, so the solution is to fire her? How helpful is this? We should be looking towards unity.

I also think in terms of what we consider offensive, we've also moved the bar here. As previously stated, both sides of the Trump debate have been incessantly using the Nazi analogy. It's just now become so offensive, it's the last straw for Carano? If you can't see why the anti-Trump use of the analogy is equally offensive, you don't actually get why it's offensive.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 03:14 PM   #1248
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
How big of an outcry are we talking about now?

Now that Trump's gone, is it necessary. Carano feels persecuted for her beliefs, so the solution is to fire her? How helpful is this? We should be looking towards unity.

I also think in terms of what we consider offensive, we've also moved the bar here. As previously stated, both sides of the Trump debate have been incessantly using the Nazi analogy. It's just now become so offensive, it's the last straw for Carano? If you can't see why the anti-Trump use of the analogy is equally offensive, you don't actually get why it's offensive.
There also seems to be nothing consistent about it, either. One day you are doing your thing, and the next an internet mob decides they've had it with you and get you trending...so good-bye.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 03:16 PM   #1249
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm sad because I thought she was so awesome and it turns out my hero is a ######.

Why Gina, why? Why couldn't you just keep your twitter yap shut, rake in millions and continue to be my hero and not so secret crush?
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 03:20 PM   #1250
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, from what I read, it sounds like they just opted not to renew her contract.
Old 02-12-2021, 03:27 PM   #1251
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTiger View Post
There also seems to be nothing consistent about it, either. One day you are doing your thing, and the next an internet mob decides they've had it with you and get you trending...so good-bye.
I mean #FireGinaCarano has trended several times in the last couple months so it's not like this all happened overnight. Just her Holocaust comparison was the final straw. But she's been on the Q-Train for quite a while now. You would think after having #FireGinaCarano trend multiple times prior to this would have caused her to keep her head down, but alas. This wasn't some out of nowhere thing.
Old 02-12-2021, 03:30 PM   #1252
Igottago
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
I mean #FireGinaCarano has trended several times in the last couple months so it's not like this all happened overnight. Just her Holocaust comparison was the final straw. But she's been on the Q-Train for quite a while now. You would think after having #FireGinaCarano trend multiple times prior to this would have caused her to keep her head down, but alas. This wasn't some out of nowhere thing.
And we all know # campaigns are always logical, rationale, and never an overreaction.

Old 02-12-2021, 03:32 PM   #1253
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

#Igottagogotstogo
Looch City is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Looch City For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2021, 03:33 PM   #1254
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
But that's more exactly what I mean. Some rando, for whatever reason they see fit, decides they are offended or upset or that their opinion matters and gets a # campaign going. People jump on the bandwagon because of "Yay, bandwagon!" and away it goes, where it stops, no one knows.

That doesn't strike you as dangerously irresponsible?
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 03:39 PM   #1255
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igottago View Post
The relative ease with which someone makes a company look bad, more so due to a hypersensitive/offended "public" (usually keyboard warriors) in the internet age is the core problem, not the fact that people get fired for making a company look bad. I have no issues with people being fired for glaring mistakes or issues, or even idiocy. Or heck, I don't even care if the company simply doesn't want to work with someone. The problem is the benchmark for the types of transgressions that warrant a cutting of ties in this era, has lowered to laughable levels.
In this era?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hollywood_blacklist

https://www.fastcompany.com/40582182...workers-rights

And the hypersensitive/offended keyboard warriors are the problem?

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...s-8010208.html

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...history-sports
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2021, 03:43 PM   #1256
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTiger View Post
But that's more exactly what I mean. Some rando, for whatever reason they see fit, decides they are offended or upset or that their opinion matters and gets a # campaign going. People jump on the bandwagon because of "Yay, bandwagon!" and away it goes, where it stops, no one knows.

That doesn't strike you as dangerously irresponsible?
I mean trends are a bizarre thing on Twitter. For instance #CancelDisneyPlus was the #1 trend for most of Wednesday and Thursday. Bad news for Disney, right? Well no, because most of the people using the hashtag were using it to mock conservatives for being pro-cancel culture (amongst other things). Just like whenever you see things like #WhitePride or #StraightPride trending, expect a bunch of racists, and end up with nothing but KPop TikToks because they've hijacked

In general her opinions were just terrible. Surely they sat her down and told her to tone it down and it's all good, but she couldn't do that. I mean she admits Pedro Pascal talked to her about the pronouns thing. Apparently Jon Favreau already went to bat for her with the studio. She knew that she was jeopardizing her career prospects doing what she was doing, and chose to keep doing it. Kinda hard to feel sorry for her.

But when it comes to people in positions to earn millions of dollars, I really have no sympathy unless it's genuinely unfair, and this ain't that. They tell you all the time that even when you aren't working you are representing the company. She became a liability and got canned. Capitalism at it's finest ironically enough.
Old 02-12-2021, 03:53 PM   #1257
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Sewering your career over your emotionally charged takes on something that will be totally irrelevant months from now.

It's too bad she couldn't see the forest from the trees. Then again many cannot.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 04:13 PM   #1258
Igottago
Franchise Player

Exp:

They are a problem, not the problem. They are the problem in the Carano case. Society clearly has countless problems. Also what happened to Kaepernick was BS. I can think that and also think people overreact to twitter comments at the same time. If you need to start a # campaign against a pretty inconsequential actor for her stupidity, you need a life. Same goes if you think a football player shouldn't interrupt your football game to comment on police brutality.

As far as the speed and reactivity of communication and ideas spreading faster in the internet era than other eras, I mean that's pretty obvious.

Last edited by Igottago; 02-12-2021 at 04:22 PM.
Old 02-12-2021, 06:06 PM   #1259
Duruss
Scoring Winger

Exp:

It's become obvious, she used to get hit in the head for a living.
Duruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 07:18 PM   #1260
Scorch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Scorch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Scorch For This Useful Post: