Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-25-2019, 01:41 PM   #1221
dirk diggler
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dash_pinched View Post
Tommie Campbell saves his worst games for the Argonauts...
Yes as good a player as he was with the Stamps, when i hear his name, i think of one play. couldnt have come at a worse time
dirk diggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 03:48 PM   #1222
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

My parents went to the game in Moncton today. Said the stands were maybe 65-70% full and there wasn’t really buzz around town like in other years. I’ve always felt if the CFL does expand into the Maritimes it’s going to be a short-lived honeymoon. I think the league needs a tenth team, but I really feel that team should be in Quebec City.
TheAlpineOracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 04:08 PM   #1223
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirk diggler View Post
Yes as good a player as he was with the Stamps, when i hear his name, i think of one play. couldnt have come at a worse time
Begelton made him look pretty bad last week too.
Old 08-25-2019, 05:56 PM   #1224
The Familia
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAlpineOracle View Post
My parents went to the game in Moncton today. Said the stands were maybe 65-70% full and there wasn’t really buzz around town like in other years. I’ve always felt if the CFL does expand into the Maritimes it’s going to be a short-lived honeymoon. I think the league needs a tenth team, but I really feel that team should be in Quebec City.
I disagree. I think Halifax would really embrace a team. Right now they are hanging in limbo with no guarantee they will get a stadium. If they actually get everything in order I think the city will jump on board much like Saskatchewan. Their soccer team draws very well and they are hungry for higher level sports. I think they can consistently draw a healthy 20-25,000 a game. If the team is good I bet they would sell out most games.
William Jennings Trophy - 2006
The Familia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 06:28 PM   #1225
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Familia View Post
I disagree. I think Halifax would really embrace a team. Right now they are hanging in limbo with no guarantee they will get a stadium. If they actually get everything in order I think the city will jump on board much like Saskatchewan. Their soccer team draws very well and they are hungry for higher level sports. I think they can consistently draw a healthy 20-25,000 a game. If the team is good I bet they would sell out most games.
Depends on price. People in the Maritimes will not pay professional prices for sports. They bitch about 20 dollars to go to a QMJHL game, they will not pay 50-100 bucks for a CFL game. The NHL exhibition games have a hard time drawing people for that very reason. I doubt a team in Halifax would even hit 15k a night after the first season and everyone had already seen it once from the other Maritime cities (Moncton, Fredericton, Saint John).
Old 08-25-2019, 06:49 PM   #1226
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAlpineOracle View Post
Depends on price. People in the Maritimes will not pay professional prices for sports. They bitch about 20 dollars to go to a QMJHL game, they will not pay 50-100 bucks for a CFL game. The NHL exhibition games have a hard time drawing people for that very reason. I doubt a team in Halifax would even hit 15k a night after the first season and everyone had already seen it once from the other Maritime cities (Moncton, Fredericton, Saint John).
Keep in mind the Maritimes were in a depressed economy for decades. They're experiencing their first economic prosperity in modern times, so that definitely has an effect. Things look and feel way better than they have in so long. People are everywhere spending money on entertainment.

Have you been there recently?
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 08:06 PM   #1227
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

There are many reasons the CFL should not expand. Most of all right now is that there simply isn't enough talent to spread to a 10th team particularly national talent. This league is full of Canadian players that have no business playing professional football. Even the international talent is down as there are few stars in this league and a quality QB shortage. People are already staying home in most markets because there are no star QB's and very few players that are worth the price of admission. It's only going to get worse when the XFL starts up.

Then you have the attendance issues. If the product is struggling in markets like Vancouver, Calgary, Toronto, Montreal, etc then you have to have your head in the clouds to think that the Maritimes with no history of supporting any sport is going to do what the rest of Canada isn't which is fill a stadium. Then of course you have the isolation on the east coast. That team will have massive difficulties travelling out west playing in Mountain and Pacific time. Teams like Montreal have never fared well in BC place over their history and it will be worse with a team travelling from Halifax. The Thursday games will probably have to go because there's no way you can have western teams travelling to Halifax on short weeks. Or vice versa with Halifax travelling west on a short week. Scheduling will be a total nightmare.

The league needs to stick with what they have to weather the XFL storm before they should consider any sort of expansion.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 08-25-2019 at 08:08 PM.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2019, 08:27 PM   #1228
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Keep in mind the Maritimes were in a depressed economy for decades. They're experiencing their first economic prosperity in modern times, so that definitely has an effect. Things look and feel way better than they have in so long. People are everywhere spending money on entertainment.

Have you been there recently?
I’m from there, and am there frequently (going back again for a wedding in October). I’m not sure what economic prosperity you are talking about. Halifax builds a few nice things but the rest of the province is still real bad and funnels all the tax dollars out of Halifax to survive.

New Brunswick and PEI are one step away from legitimate bankruptcy.

I’ve thought about moving back to Halifax many times, but houses are almost as much as they are here and my wife and I would likely be required to take a 50% household pay cut and we are both in high demand careers. Disposable income just isn’t the same there and people from there just have a different mindset when it comes to spending money.

Case in point, Luke Bryan a few weeks ago. All my friends and family were going to go until they found out ticket price. 100 buck was considered an outrage and they all stayed home. I think they only ended up getting 15k for a one time event in a venue that can handle well over 30k.

Last edited by TheAlpineOracle; 08-25-2019 at 08:32 PM.
Old 08-25-2019, 08:57 PM   #1229
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I’ll give you another example. My parents have been hockey season ticket holders since the 70s in Moncton (AHL then QMJHL). Moncton built a brand new downtown arena that is well above the city’s weight class. My parents gave up their tickets because the new arena didn’t have free attached parking like the old rink out in the middle of nowhere. There was next to non increase in ticket cost.

Now you may think that is just two people, but it isn’t. There was so much backlash that the team actually had to put on a shuttle from the old parking lot to the new arena. That’s the mindset of the people you are dealing with there. They averaged 5100 people a game there this year in a brand new arena that seats 9,000 and that was up only about 800 people from the old arena. Next year attendance will be right back down to historical or lower depending on results
The Following User Says Thank You to TheAlpineOracle For This Useful Post:
Old 08-26-2019, 09:12 AM   #1230
calf
broke the first rule

Exp:

https://www.tsn.ca/bombers-rb-andrew...licy-1.1356109

Quote:
Winnipeg Blue Bombers running back Andrew Harris has been suspended two games for violating the CFL/CFLPA drug policy.

The 32-year-old Canadian leads the league in rushing this season with 908 yards on 141 carries. He has three rushing touchdowns and has added an additional 337 yards and three touchdowns receiving.
calf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 09:28 AM   #1231
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Boy the stars are aligning for the Riders here to sweep labour day and the banjo bowl.
Old 08-26-2019, 10:21 AM   #1232
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Boy the stars are aligning for the Riders here to sweep labour day and the banjo bowl.
I’m sure he will appeal and sit out two meaningless games whenever he sees fit.
Old 08-26-2019, 11:30 AM   #1233
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not sure if you didn't click the link or if they updated the article but it says right in there he will miss both games against Sask. It says the test is from July 12th, so it sounds like it's been going on for a bit already and Harris' statement sounds like there is a no appeal coming.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 12:03 PM   #1234
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

the bombers find ways to win; however, they are now making it difficult for themselves first by losing nichols and now harris may miss the the classic and the banjo bowl.

will be interesting to see if he appeals and if he does, how long does it take for the appeal to be heard
Old 08-26-2019, 12:03 PM   #1235
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyguy15 View Post
Not sure if you didn't click the link or if they updated the article but it says right in there he will miss both games against Sask. It says the test is from July 12th, so it sounds like it's been going on for a bit already and Harris' statement sounds like there is a no appeal coming.
Yeah drug test failures are probably incredibly difficult to appeal. Unlike on-field suspensions there's little left for interpretation and given this wasn't a grey area drug and a clear performance enhancing, non-medical steroid he likely didn't have a lot of recourse.
Old 08-26-2019, 01:09 PM   #1236
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Really big blow, and at the 2nd worst time of the season, BB and LD. Hopefully whatever caused this result will never come up again. Be it him outright cheating or some unrealistic scenario where it was innocent.

That said the Bombers winning recipe has been the best D and ST in the league, and hopefully Augustine can carry the rock for 2 weeks.
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 01:24 PM   #1237
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I honestly don't think that I watched more then 20 minutes of CFL football this weekend. I don't know how they're going to fix competitive play, competitive teams. But once again we are seeing horrific football out East, and pretty meh football in the west.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 04:05 PM   #1238
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I honestly don't think that I watched more then 20 minutes of CFL football this weekend. I don't know how they're going to fix competitive play, competitive teams. But once again we are seeing horrific football out East, and pretty meh football in the west.
Killing the ratio is the answer.
Old 08-26-2019, 04:21 PM   #1239
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I want Canadian players in the Canadian Football League. I’m not saying the ratio shouldn’t change but it shouldn’t be killed. The caliber of play would improve but it would severely restrict options for Canadian players and severely hamper and maybe kill university programs, also alienate fans like me who has been a fan of this league for over 55 years and a season ticket holder for most of those years. I don’t want an American CFL. There have been excellent Canadian players who would not have had pro careers if there was no ratio. Stars like Jon Cornish and Dave Fennell would still have had careers but lesser players might have no opportunity to develop their skills to become quality players and, in some cases, stars. I could name many of those.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MoneyGuy For This Useful Post:
Old 08-26-2019, 04:40 PM   #1240
Bent Wookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Out 403 View Post
Really big blow, and at the 2nd worst time of the season, BB and LD. Hopefully whatever caused this result will never come up again. Be it him outright cheating or some unrealistic scenario where it was innocent.

That said the Bombers winning recipe has been the best D and ST in the league, and hopefully Augustine can carry the rock for 2 weeks.
Whatever caused this result? It's d-bol. You don't accidentally take d-bol. It's not in your Sunny D.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post: