Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-07-2021, 09:58 AM   #3661
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Really liked Suicide Squad. Hard to ask for much more from a comic book movie really.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 01:03 PM   #3662
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Suicide Squad is having a bad weekend at the box office. People suck, a genuinely original fun movie that is geared towards adults finally comes out and everyone stays at home. Only thing disappointing about the movie IMO.
Nadal Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 01:13 PM   #3663
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadal Fan View Post
Suicide Squad is having a bad weekend at the box office. People suck, a genuinely original fun movie that is geared towards adults finally comes out and everyone stays at home. Only thing disappointing about the movie IMO.
The stink of the first one is still fresh in people's mind.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fire For This Useful Post:
Old 08-07-2021, 01:16 PM   #3664
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

How much of that is Covid though? Lot of places having a particularly bad time of it right now down south.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 01:20 PM   #3665
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Still lots of people not going to theatres.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 01:32 PM   #3666
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It’s free on HBO max. Why would you see it in theatres? At least with the Disney ones they charge an extra $30 so for two people tickets are at least the same.

About 30 for the weekend compared to 80 for black widow.

All I think this shows is that when you put your product on a streaming service in canabalizes your box office.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 01:33 PM   #3667
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yea I totally agree with all of you. However comparing it to other movies released during Covid it's still not doing great. Jungle Cruise just did $35 mill last week and Suicide Squad is supposed to do only $25 mill this week. I think the R rating and it being free on HBO Max is really affecting it. Expect the next couple of years even less R rated movies coming out as studios release movies that appeal to a family audience and play it super safe.
Old 08-07-2021, 01:39 PM   #3668
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yea I totally agree with all of you. However comparing it to other movies released during Covid it's still not doing great. Jungle Cruise just did $35 mill last week and Suicide Squad is supposed to do only $25 mill this week. I think the R rating and it being free on HBO Max is really affecting it. Expect the next couple of years even less R rated movies coming out as studios release movies that appeal to a family audience and play it super safe.
The R rating is why I haven’t gone, it’s easy to take the kids to the PG-13 ones.

But I think the bigger cause is the free on HBO max kills your 20-30 male demo that this is targeted at. I’m excited to see it, it will just be a late night mid-week thing for me.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 01:50 PM   #3669
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

It was only ever expected to make $30 million. It's in place for $25 million. However, they are also using fri-sun drop offs from pre covid movies to estimate the whole weekend. So it could still make that target.

Either way, with a movie like this, I'd agree with other posters, that seeing it for free at home is pretty appealing. Especially, as the comedy is the main draw here.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 01:53 PM   #3670
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
There's a few other things going on that might dissuade people from going to the movies...
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 02:10 PM   #3671
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Once again, I know I sound like a broken record, but I maintain that Box Office Gross is a poor metric for the judgement of the quality of a movie.

Especially now.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 02:20 PM   #3672
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oh I totally know why people are watching at home and avoiding theatres, it's completely understandable. And BO is by no means a judge of movie quality.

But unfortunately it does determine what movies get made in the future and if we get a sequel. Hopefully WB treats this as a Batman Begins situation where after Batman & Robin the Bat brand was tarnished and Begins had a mediocre Box office. But WB still have it a sequel and the rest is history.

Anyways, see Suicide Squad you will enjoy it.
Old 08-07-2021, 04:24 PM   #3673
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

I bet people are getting burnt out by these endless superhero movies.

I'm planning on seeing this one fairly soon but have a like/hate relationship with virtually all of them. I've really liked a couple, and found the rest to be pretty mediocre and forgettable.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 11:52 AM   #3674
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Almost impossible to measure box office success for a film like this.
Covid resurgence
Free on HBO Max

What could you use as a comparable?
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 08:16 PM   #3675
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Almost impossible to measure box office success for a film like this.
Covid resurgence
Free on HBO Max

What could you use as a comparable?
Space Jam 2 came out less than a month ago and made $6 mill more on their opening weekend.
The Following User Says Thank You to Nadal Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 08-08-2021, 08:18 PM   #3676
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
Space Jam 2 came out less than a month ago and made $6 mill more on their opening weekend.
A kid's movie will make more than a rated R movie 9 times out of 10.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 10:13 PM   #3677
JeanLucPicard
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Just watched The Suicide Squad. What an absolute embarrassment. Terrible story; No heart, I did not care for any of the characters , their so called backstory, or their intentions, and it existed within a disjointed DCEU which made it really a bizarre isolated experience. (Even if its stand-alone, you need a lot more context, and this one was very weak)

Margot Robbie was good, and single handedly made this 3/10 instead of 1/10.

edit: The part that almost made me stop watching was when that leader of resistance showed no emotions and just went along with them... "oh you just killed my entire group, but sure! I'll help you! Democracy!". Who approved this awful script?

Last edited by JeanLucPicard; 08-08-2021 at 10:48 PM.
JeanLucPicard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 04:30 AM   #3678
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

I didn't think about or notice the DCEU at all while watching TSS. Felt very self-contained to me.

As someone who has disliked almost every other DCEU movie, I was genuinely surprised I enjoyed The Suicide Squad as much as I did.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 09:40 AM   #3679
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Suicide Squad was mildly amusing. The "twist" at the start was unexpected. But being one of the better DC movies doesn't say a whole lot, and I agree there wasn't much heart.

Maybe 4 out of 10.
Old 08-09-2021, 09:42 AM   #3680
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

It was so weird. Almost like they wanted to make it as oddball as possible. It did have that Guardians of the Galaxy feel to it like a James Gunn movie would, but it didn't really do much other than that. Gore-ier than I thought it would be though.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote