Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-16-2018, 11:31 AM   #21
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itse View Post
Good article.

Only thing I'd like to see in addition is the line combinations, as it's often one of the most difficult things to find afterwards.
First two periods ...

Gaudreau - Monahan - Lindholm
Tkachuk - Backlund - Neal
Frolik - Ryan - Czarnik
Bennett - Jankowski - Hathaway

Last period

Tkachuk - Ryan - Neal
Frolik - Backlund - Czarnik
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2018, 11:47 AM   #22
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
First two periods ...

Tkachuk - Backlund - Neal
Frolik - Ryan - Czarnik

Last period

Tkachuk - Ryan - Neal
Out of thanks but thanks
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 11:49 AM   #23
David Struch
First Line Centre

Exp:
icon57 New Lines:

Perhaps in time we'll see the more offensive minded Czarnik join the top six and have the more defensive minded Lindholm added to the bottom six?

Gaudreau - Monahan - Czarnik
Tkachuk - Ryan - Neal

Dubé, - Backlund - Lindholm
Bennett - Jankowski - Frolik

Spare/Call-ups
Lazar/Hathaway,
Mangiapane/Foo
David Struch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 03:48 PM   #24
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Struch View Post
Perhaps in time we'll see the more offensive minded Czarnik join the top six and have the more defensive minded Lindholm added to the bottom six?

Gaudreau - Monahan - Czarnik

Tkachuk - Ryan - Neal

Dubé, - Backlund - Lindholm

Bennett - Jankowski - Frolik

Spare/Call-ups

Lazar/Hathaway,

Mangiapane/Foo
I doubt it, because I think Treliving and Peters want to build scoring depth all the way through the top nine. The second and third lines should be theoretically interchangeable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 03:54 PM   #25
the2bears
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
I doubt it, because I think Treliving and Peters want to build scoring depth all the way through the top nine. The second and third lines should be theoretically interchangeable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes, I think it might be better to consider "a middle six" now, rather than the old "top six" and "bottom six". Frames the discussion more accurately with today's game.
the2bears is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to the2bears For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2018, 05:59 PM   #26
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by psyang View Post
One thing I noticed was a major reduction in D-to-D passes once we controlled the puck. It seemed like the first option for the D was to the forwards, and that seemed to really accentuate our speed, and put us in attack mode.
I noticed this too and it seemed like we were entering the opponents zone several seconds faster upon the D retrieving the puck than last season. The Boston D had to hustle back because of this to keep up with the play moving north in a hurry and a number of good plays were made off the rush that were dangerous. Czarnik looks to be especially good at creating off the rush.

Also was going to say the 2nd pairing looked quiet and responsible and I'm already more comfortable with Hanifin on the left side as opposed to Brodie there. On the other hand Gio and being on the right side looks to have settled Brodies game right back down again. Looks more comfortable and decisive. Even taking more opportunities offensively as well.

Last edited by djsFlames; 09-16-2018 at 06:03 PM.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 03:26 AM   #27
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
Player thoughts.

Lindholm: In position the whole time. Strong down low afyer he got his feet under him. Has a Monahan level of anticipating where he needs to be to get a good shot off. His cerebrap game doesnt scream at you through flash but his on ice awareness is going to elevate any line he is on. Fantastic down low on the lwft side on the PP. If Johnny runs the left point Lindholm will be LW.

Hamonic: looks faster. Skated much better than he did last year. Also led a lot of rushes out of the Flames end. Eye test was better than 90% of his play last year.

Czarnik: Fast as heck. Smart player and has a nose for the net. Drives hard and can make some slick passes. Dynamic and a surprise he is signed so cheap.

Brodano: honestly, 1 preseason game in and it looks lile they havent missed a beat. Good sign. I donr know how they got it into Bordies head but his indecisivenesss disappeared. Looked great playimg the uptempo quick strike style theyre going for this year. Gio is gio, does his thing and is a rock.
Good omen for the top pairing.

Hanifin: Maybe the best skater out there? Also seemed to be playing a bit reserved or his game is refined. Was strong in the Flames end.

Monahan: dont think ive seen hom ever try one timers. Fun to see. Looked faster put there as well.
I suspect Hamonic didn’t feel the same requirement to be the stay at home guy that he did last year.

Overall I think the Flames were more Vegas like in the way they turned the puck up ice as quickly as possible, rather than waiting for everyone to be “set”. It made them seem a lot faster.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 10:25 AM   #28
GullFoss
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Ok...so of the quadfecta, we've seen:

- continued good possession of GG era
- faster transitions
- stonger backcheck
- harder forecheck

Sounds like a winning system to me!
GullFoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 10:26 AM   #29
red sky
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Off wing set up on PP.
red sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 10:29 AM   #30
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Last period

Tkachuk - Ryan - Neal
I actually wouldn't mind seeing this as a variation of the 3rd period lineup:

Tkachuk - Ryan - Neal
Bennett - Backlund - Frolik
Dube/Mangiapane - Jankowski - Czarnik

Think that actually gives you 4 pretty good lines that are really deep, and a top 9 that is really balanced. That 4th line would give other 4th lines fits IMO.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2018, 11:58 AM   #31
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Interesting that despite evidence to the contrary from this coaching staff, posters still finding ways to keep Bennett off the fourth line.

It was only one game, but watching czarnik made it pretty clear to me that he's a much better option for more minutes than Bennett has shown in his career thus far.

I didn't expect it to be that pronounced, but it's pretty clear to me now.

It will be fun to watch how the rest of preseason shakes out

Last edited by Flash Walken; 09-17-2018 at 12:02 PM.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2018, 12:21 PM   #32
David Struch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
Interesting that despite evidence to the contrary from this coaching staff, posters still finding ways to keep Bennett off the fourth line.
Yes, we keep seeing Sam Bennett on the 2nd line in a lot of peoples line-up projections or written up as a top two line forward in their hopes but the only way he plays ahead of Gaudreau, Monahan, Lindholm, Tkachuk, Neal and Backlund is if some of those players happen to get injured.
David Struch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 01:18 PM   #33
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:

It was only one game, but watching czarnik made it pretty clear to me that he's a much better option for more minutes than Bennett has shown in his career thus far.

I didn't expect it to be that pronounced, but it's pretty clear to me now.

It will be fun to watch how the rest of preseason shakes out
Bit of shiny new toy too though.

I thought Czarnik looked great in a few give and go reads with Ryan and on the powerplay.

But Bennett with less ice time and on the fourth line almost created three goals on his own. I think if Bennett was an off season signing people would be pretty excited about that yet I've actually seen many say he struggled and they were disappointed.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2018, 01:57 PM   #34
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Bit of shiny new toy too though.

I thought Czarnik looked great in a few give and go reads with Ryan and on the powerplay.

But Bennett with less ice time and on the fourth line almost created three goals on his own. I think if Bennett was an off season signing people would be pretty excited about that yet I've actually seen many say he struggled and they were disappointed.
I don't know if it's shiny new toy. I didn't think much of Czarnik, don't know anything about him really as a player.

In my opinion he showed to have fundamentally better puck skills than Bennett, and by virtue of being good on the Powerplay--which in my opinion Bennett never has--makes Czarnik a better option for more minutes.

Coaching staff seems to agree, at least thus far.

I'm really interested to see what happens for the main part of camp when the A and B squads are together.
Old 09-17-2018, 02:45 PM   #35
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
I don't know if it's shiny new toy. I didn't think much of Czarnik, don't know anything about him really as a player.

In my opinion he showed to have fundamentally better puck skills than Bennett, and by virtue of being good on the Powerplay--which in my opinion Bennett never has--makes Czarnik a better option for more minutes.

I'm really interested to see what happens for the main part of camp when the A and B squads are together.
Once again though a fourth line winger (Bennett), went around one defender got a shot, drop pass in the neutral zone then jetted by two defenders to get himself in all alone on a give and go, then froze a Bruin with a toe drag and took the puck to the net on his own.

Doesn't have good puck skills?
Old 09-17-2018, 02:59 PM   #36
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Once again though a fourth line winger (Bennett), went around one defender got a shot, drop pass in the neutral zone then jetted by two defenders to get himself in all alone on a give and go, then froze a Bruin with a toe drag and took the puck to the net on his own.

Doesn't have good puck skills?
"fundamentally better puck skills"
Old 09-17-2018, 03:01 PM   #37
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I just personally like Bennett better on that Backlund/Frolik line that is going to get tougher match ups.

I really like Czarnik on a line where he can get more offensive minutes, and I think playing on that 4th line with offensively skilled youngsters like Janko and Mangiapane/Dube could be a really good spot for him.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 03:13 PM   #38
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
"fundamentally better puck skills"
OK what do you mean then?

Takes puck skills to toe drag and go to the net, or drop a puck speed through and snag it.

Those are fundamentals.
Old 09-17-2018, 03:44 PM   #39
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
OK what do you mean then?

Takes puck skills to toe drag and go to the net, or drop a puck speed through and snag it.

Those are fundamentals.
Basically every guy who can make the NHL can do this in isolated bursts or samples. I have seen this from Bennett before. "almost" goals in a preseason game after 240 nhl games of experience isn't enough for me. They are now fleeting glimpses of skill, whereas Czarnik seems to be all about the skill, a finesse player who exudes skill.

I don't see a ton of puck skills often from Bennett, not often enough for me to believe he has untapped potential in that regard, or that he's a better fit for offensive minutes than a guy like Czarnik. For every sweet toe drag he pulls off in preseason, there are several unsuccessful in the regular season. He doesn't make it look easy.

Taking passes, skating with his head up without falling down, making minor adjustments, those are things I don't see from bennett and I didn't see them in the only preseason game this year.

I don't think there's some huge gulf between Czarnik and Bennett, I think they are both relatively borderline NHLers at this point, but in terms of offensive potential and where they can fit into a lineup, I think Czarnik has the better ability and potential to further develop offensively.

From what I've seen, Bennett struggles playing a skill game with skilled players. From what I've seen, Czarnik doesn't struggle to play a skilled game with skilled players. For me, it's as simple as that.
The Following User Says Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2018, 04:09 PM   #40
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
From what I've seen, Bennett struggles playing a skill game with skilled players. From what I've seen, Czarnik doesn't struggle to play a skilled game with skilled players. For me, it's as simple as that.
Care to elaborate? He looked very good with Jagr and Jankowski. The only reason that line wasn't more productive was bad luck, but they more than carried their fair share of driving play down the ice.

Bennett also looked good during the times when Hathaway wasn't a complete passenger. And when he got spot duty on Gaudreau's line as RW (but the season was already over). Janko was a step in the right direction but he's still fresh.

Let's not forget that outside of Janko, who had a four-goal game to close off the season, all of Sam's frequent linemates this season had abysmally bad SH%, even on a team that saw mostly regression in that area.

Your criticism of Bennett is also approaching ricardo/Dougie levels of bias. There's also that.