Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-14-2018, 01:47 PM   #141
ComixZone
Franchise Player
 
ComixZone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Exp:
Default Garrioch: Flames interested in Zack Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
Staying conservative could keep the window open longer. I don’t feel you trade a 1st in consecutive years for a 2nd pairing D and 2nd line forward. This is already when the Flames are without a 2nd for the next 3 drafts.



If they give up another 1st let season target the right player at the right age. Not another left shot who is 29 and only has another year on his contract. The more I think about it the more I believe that would be a terrible move.


Something that needs to be kept in mind though is the success we’ve had in later rounds grants us certain flexibility that not all teams have. Finding guys like Fox in the 4th for example.

There aren’t an infinite number of roster spots available for these prospects/picks to make it to the NHL. Specifically I look at our defence at the NHL level and then at our pool - we’re going to trade one or two of those prospects during this window, or, we’ll trade another high end pick because of how good those prospects are.

I’m not saying spend endlessly, but where we are now with this window of opportunity - we’re best suited to push by filling the one remaining roster need, than we are to be conservative and hope that a window stays open a bit longer, and spending on one more player realistically isn’t going to do any long term damage. The organization is healthy when you take into account that all our prime roles are filled with young, high end talent.

Andersson, Kylington, Valimaki, Fox will all be NHL ready within 18 months. There’s not room for all of them.

Trade Kylington + 2019 1st rounder + lesser piece for Hoffman.

Then trade Stone for a 2nd or something like that in the summer and have Fox take his roster spot/push Hamonic down the depth chart. Then we still have Andersson on the right side and Valimaki on the left side pushing our deep NHL roster.

We’re in a good spot, and have the ability/flexibility to go after the RIGHT player to address the one roster spot that needs addressing right now/in the next few years.

We don’t have a true sniper prospect that will out perform Hoffman this year or next, and we need (imo) to fill that role to really make use of this window.

Be bold. (also, Hoffman has two years left on his deal after this season).

Last edited by ComixZone; 01-14-2018 at 01:54 PM.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2018, 01:51 PM   #142
dammage79
Franchise Player
 
dammage79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Calgary
Exp:
Default

Don't know where I read it but Pavel Buchnevichay be able to be pryed out of NY, he would be a good addition to the Flames. Skill and scoring touch. RFA controlled too.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 01:55 PM   #143
kyuss275
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
Don't know where I read it but Pavel Buchnevichay be able to be pryed out of NY, he would be a good addition to the Flames. Skill and scoring touch. RFA controlled too.
They should fire the coach before of letting him go. I like him and Miller off of NY. AV doesnt seem to know how to use either of those 2 guys properly .
kyuss275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 02:05 PM   #144
ComixZone
Franchise Player
 
ComixZone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
Don't know where I read it but Pavel Buchnevichay be able to be pryed out of NY, he would be a good addition to the Flames. Skill and scoring touch. RFA controlled too.


I think Kent Wilson was just looking at player utilization and saw he was being under-utilized.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 02:17 PM   #145
Vinny01
Franchise Player
 
Vinny01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: CGY
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
Something that needs to be kept in mind though is the success we’ve had in later rounds grants us certain flexibility that not all teams have. Finding guys like Fox in the 4th for example.

There aren’t an infinite number of roster spots available for these prospects/picks to make it to the NHL. Specifically I look at our defence at the NHL level and then at our pool - we’re going to trade one or two of those prospects during this window, or, we’ll trade another high end pick because of how good those prospects are.

I’m not saying spend endlessly, but where we are now with this window of opportunity - we’re best suited to push by filling the one remaining roster need, than we are to be conservative and hope that a window stays open a bit longer, and spending on one more player realistically isn’t going to do any long term damage. The organization is healthy when you take into account that all our prime roles are filled with young, high end talent.

Andersson, Kylington, Valimaki, Fox will all be NHL ready within 18 months. There’s not room for all of them.

Trade Kylington + 2019 1st rounder + lesser piece for Hoffman.

Then trade Stone for a 2nd or something like that in the summer and have Fox take his roster spot/push Hamonic down the depth chart. Then we still have Andersson on the right side and Valimaki on the left side pushing our deep NHL roster.

We’re in a good spot, and have the ability/flexibility to go after the RIGHT player to address the one roster spot that needs addressing right now/in the next few years.

We don’t have a true sniper prospect that will out perform Hoffman this year or next, and we need (imo) to fill that role to really make use of this window.

Be bold. (also, Hoffman has two years left on his deal after this season).
I just really disagree with you that Hoffman is the player to spend a ton of assets on. I don’t disagree the Flames could move more futures for help now. This also takes away a valuable asset to trade at the draft or summer next year when more players are available.

The Flames could have traded their 1st at the deadline in 2015 so they could push for the playoffs with Gio out. They opted for the depth move of picking up Schlemko and had their 1st as a trade chip at the draft that was used to land Dougie.

I rather that 1st be in play for a guy 25 or younger or in a package for a true superstar like Tavares. At least with Hamonic he was 26 at the time of the trade, had 3 years left on his deal, and is very much underpaid. Hoffman is 29, 2 years left, and paid adequately for a 60pt winger.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 02:33 PM   #146
jonkaupp
Scoring Winger
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
I think Kent Wilson was just looking at player utilization and saw he was being under-utilized.
Ya it was on twitter. Ranger fans caught wind and thought they’d do something for one of Monahan, Gaudreau, Tkachuk or Hamilton. It was pretty ridiculous.
jonkaupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 03:03 PM   #147
DeluxeMoustache
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
I think Kent Wilson was just looking at player utilization and saw he was being under-utilized.
Yeah, that guy is not a source.
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2018, 03:14 PM   #148
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player
 
oldschoolcalgary's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonkaupp View Post
Ya it was on twitter. Ranger fans caught wind and thought they’d do something for one of Monahan, Gaudreau, Tkachuk or Hamilton. It was pretty ridiculous.
lol... really?

for a guy that has done nothing and such a bust in your organization that you are willing to ship him out and they think Calgary would trade an all star player for him?

as bad as Toronto/Edmonton fans
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 03:17 PM   #149
Enoch Root
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: May 2012
Exp:
Default

Can't crack our lineup... let's trade him for Monahan!
Enoch Root is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:20 PM.

Calgary Flames
2017-18




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Calgarypuck 2016