Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-08-2015, 11:00 AM   #1
bluck
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default NHL Centre Ice VS. Rogers GameCentre

I'm debating which to get this year as I live in Vancouver and it's pretty much the only way to follow the Flames for an 82 game season. I had GameCente last year and wasn't that impressed with the overall quality in relation to buffering, and how it looked when I linked it to my big screen. I was thinking about getting centre ice this year as I watch the majority of the games at home so being mobile isn't really a necessity for me. Has anyone ever tried both and which do you prefer? (Don't really care about price)

Cheers,

Bluck
bluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 11:13 AM   #2
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

I choose Centre Ice over Gamecentre as I appreciate the ability to flip from game to game without buffering and being in real time.

Plus you aren't afraid to fire up the NHL app or Twitter and have a game or goal ruined because your feed is several seconds or even minutes behind.

Last edited by Toonage; 10-09-2015 at 07:37 PM. Reason: Pointless rambling removed
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 11:20 AM   #3
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

In Vancouver, I would recommend Center Ice especially if you aren't going to be away from home a lot. All the games will be available in HD for you, and it's simply better than game center for picture quality & sound, and easier to use.

In my area though, most of the games on Center Ice are broadcast in SD, so gamecenter was a no brainer choice for me.

Head over to the tech talk forum there is an extensive thread on this.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 10-08-2015, 01:45 PM   #4
FBI
Franchise Player

Exp:

Usually a buffering issue would be related to your internet connection.. If you have something decent, there shouldn't be any buffering. I use Apple TV with NHL Game Center and its high quality picture with no buffering.
Old 10-09-2015, 11:49 AM   #5
genetic_phreek
First Line Centre

Exp:
icon57

I'm glad you created this thread as I was deliberating between the two. I chose Centre Ice as the quality of the games are so much better.
genetic_phreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 11:57 AM   #6
scotty2hotty
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBI View Post
I use Apple TV with NHL Game Center and its high quality picture with no buffering.
My experience as well.
Old 10-09-2015, 05:27 PM   #7
Bend it like Bourgeois
Franchise Player

Exp:

^^ for the Apple TV crowd, do you get flames games in Calgary? I keep thinking about it but we aren't on Rogers and I'm not clear how it all works.
Bend it like Bourgeois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 05:50 PM   #8
Tailgator
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bend it like Bourgeois View Post
^^ for the Apple TV crowd, do you get flames games in Calgary? I keep thinking about it but we aren't on Rogers and I'm not clear how it all works.
I do. I have GCL on the Apple TV, gets all the games from what I can tell, and let's you choose which broadcast you want to watch (if it's a national game it'll be the same). The part I like to use is "archived games" so I can keep going back and watching game 6 😁

I've never used CI, so I'm not sure if any of this is the same, just my experience.
Tailgator is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tailgator For This Useful Post:
Old 10-09-2015, 07:27 PM   #9
kootenayguy9
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Don't forget about the data NHL game centre uses. When streaming in Hd you might be using over 5gb of data. I also can't stand the fact it is over a minute behind in real time.
kootenayguy9 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kootenayguy9 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-10-2015, 01:35 AM   #10
Anduril
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anybody know where the Chromecast button is on the NHL Gamecenter app? I can't find it for the life of me.
Anduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 10:47 AM   #11
dustygoon
Franchise Player

Exp:

If your network is good, then gamecenter hands down. Highlights, replays, are always available. I throw on some vault stuff. Only thing that I strangely miss are ads instead of "we'll be back shortly"
Old 09-06-2018, 03:10 PM   #12
theslymonkey
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

BUMP:

It 2018 and I have been a Center Ice subscriber for years and have used it a lot. But this year I got MLB.tv to watch more Yankee games and LOVE IT!!!

What are people's thoughts on Game Center vs Center Ice now?

My main concern is that I will be blacked out of Flames games given that I live in Alberta.

I can watch them live or PVR the games normally. But after using MLB.tv, I love that I can watch the games whenever without worrying about screwing up the PVR. Also, I like the idea of being able to watch other games without having to PVR them.
theslymonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 03:12 PM   #13
theslymonkey
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

ALSO, how many devices can watch at the same time in the same household?
Old 09-06-2018, 03:24 PM   #14
Hockey-and_stuff
First Line Centre

Exp:

I've had Rogers GameCentre for the last 3 years for free with my Rogers cell plan and I won't be renewing.

The most glaring reason is I am a Calgary local so nearly every single Flames game is subject to blackout. If you're in the Flames broadcast region you'll need Sportsnet Now to get Flames coverage.

GameCentre is also absolutely terrible. I have a very good internet connection and I have experienced a myriad of issues, including extremely poor quality, random jumps backward in time and receiving a blackout message midway through a game I should be able to watch.

I would never, ever pay for GameCentre. It is so far behind what a streaming app should be. The fact that you would need both a Sportsnet Now subscription and a GameCentre sub to get every game is such a blatant ripoff.

Obviously others might have a different experience but I have never rated GameCentre well. It is a very poorly designed product.
Hockey-and_stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hockey-and_stuff For This Useful Post:
Old 09-06-2018, 03:30 PM   #15
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

I cant really complain too much about GameCentre Live seeing as I get it free being a Rogers customer and being in a non-Flames region where I would otherwise barely get to see the Flames play.
Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 03:44 PM   #16
Benched
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I'm on Telus and can stream anything my TV/PVR gets from their app, or online via their 'on the go' website. I THINK most providers are doing something like this.

For that reason I'd think Centre Ice would be superior.

GameCentre and the blackout restrictions are beyond frustrating. Was getting random blackouts too last year. Like a NYR vs. Florida game (in CGY, no VPN). The quality is poor, the timing is behind, (and it's probably my ipad) but man it loads slow between actual games and switching to check boxscores. I PERSONALLY think it's waiting for the in application ads to load which slows everything down + you know, ads.

For most things I prefer streaming. Where I want, when I want, ability to pause and rewind, or skip ahead. Sports are the exception. When it's on, immediate, high quality, no need to skip around. So for that the TV viewing experience is best - or over your mobile device via a providers app.

my 2cents
Benched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 04:00 PM   #17
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Roger's customer here... Meaning nhl gc is free for me.

If i had to pay for either Id pick center ice hands down
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 04:03 PM   #18
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don’t have either but I assume it would be similar to DAZN vs Sunday ticket for football? I absolutely hated DAZN last year and gladly pay twice as much to get the games on my TV for Sunday ticket.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 04:25 PM   #19
theslymonkey
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I'm thankful for the responses, but disappointed as well. MLB.tv is amazing. It's full HD, no lag, easy to use, and I will gladly get it every year now. I was hoping to hear that the NHL product is similar, which is obviously not the case.
Old 09-06-2018, 04:29 PM   #20
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have absolutely no problems with nhl.tv.
combustiblefuel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to combustiblefuel For This Useful Post: