Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-18-2018, 07:43 AM   #161
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

They had me at Blockbusters I'm in!
Nadal Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 07:54 AM   #162
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm still not sold on Brie Larson as a superhero. She just doesn't have the look and even her voice sounds too airy and nice.

I'm going to see it because I'm sure it will be great entertainment, and I'm fully committed to the MCU at this point, but yeah.

Also, the grandma punching scene is hilarious out of context. Hopefully she's some kind of hidden alien enemy or something, but maybe not the best choice for your trailer...
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 07:59 AM   #163
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Decent trailer, didn't show too much.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 09:53 AM   #164
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Their de-aging tech looks awesome. SLJ looks straight out of Pulp Fiction and the brief shot of Coulson with hair looked good. And I really like how very little was given away in the trailer, Marvel is so much better at this than DC is
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2018, 10:14 AM   #165
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
Their de-aging tech looks awesome. SLJ looks straight out of Pulp Fiction and the brief shot of Coulson with hair looked good. And I really like how very little was given away in the trailer, Marvel is so much better at this than DC is
DC can't even CGI out a mustache without making their actor look like a muppet, let alone de-age them entirely.
Old 09-18-2018, 01:18 PM   #166
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
I'm still not sold on Brie Larson as a superhero. She just doesn't have the look and even her voice sounds too airy and nice.

I'm going to see it because I'm sure it will be great entertainment, and I'm fully committed to the MCU at this point, but yeah.

Also, the grandma punching scene is hilarious out of context. Hopefully she's some kind of hidden alien enemy or something, but maybe not the best choice for your trailer...

It is pretty common knowledge that the storyline will be loosely based on the Kree-Skrull War in the comics. Skrulls are shapeshifters and I would assume that Captain Marvel is punching a Skrull right in its face.
Since1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 01:32 PM   #167
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Since1984 View Post
It is pretty common knowledge that the storyline will be loosely based on the Kree-Skrull War in the comics. Skrulls are shapeshifters and I would assume that Captain Marvel is punching a Skrull right in its face.
Definitely what's going on.

I'm pretty excited for this film. Marvel has done a great job with their cosmic storylines. Really glad were getting real Skrulls too. I was very worried all we'd ever get were the lame ultimate version (the Chitauri they used in Avengers 1).

We're getting two of the best Marvel storylines here with the Kree/Skrull war and the Secret Invasion. The storylines work well together, and likely we're just getting a build up into Secret Invasion.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 01:43 PM   #168
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Am I the only one who kind of hopes she got it wrong and she just cold-clocks some random Grandma on the bus and caves her face in?

Whoooops......*awkward collar tug*

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2018, 01:50 PM   #169
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Am I the only one who kind of hopes she got it wrong and she just cold-clocks some random Grandma on the bus and caves her face in?

Whoooops......*awkward collar tug*
Captain Marvel has super-human strength. So if she is just punching some granny in the face, it's going to be a messy one.
Old 09-18-2018, 01:59 PM   #170
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Since1984 View Post
Pretty common knowledge around comic book fans maybe. I knew this was about an alien war but had no idea one of the races was a shapeshifter, I was just guessing there.
The Following User Says Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post:
V
Old 09-18-2018, 02:00 PM   #171
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
Captain Marvel has super-human strength. So if she is just punching some granny in the face, it's going to be a messy one.
Yes. And?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2018, 02:03 PM   #172
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Pretty common knowledge around comic book fans maybe. I knew this was about an alien war but had no idea one of the races was a shapeshifter, I was just guessing there.
Actually fair enough. Re-watched the trailer. They show the Skrulls just before they show Captain Marvel punching the lady, but they don't explicitly state the Skrulls can shape shift.
Old 09-18-2018, 03:05 PM   #173
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

For sure, if you are going in completely blind and have no idea about the Skrulls and the story line then this could be very confusing and inappropriate.
Since1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 04:11 PM   #174
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Brie Larson is so hot.
Old 09-18-2018, 04:53 PM   #175
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Legit goosebumps from that trailer.

Also really hoping the MCU resists the temptation and completely dodges Secret Invasion.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 09:21 AM   #176
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

K so I absolutely do not understand what they've done with the plot. Is she playing Carol Danvers, or Mar-vell? At first it looks like she's an alien who crashed, but then she's in a fighter jumpsuit. It looks like maybe a sort of a mashup of both characters, which doesn't bode well at all. You'd think BvsS would've been an object lesson in taking stories from comics and trying to cram them together in one movie.

Also, no real indication of a villain, which is another red flag - or at least a suggestion that it'll be a bit of a paint-by-numbers origin story with a generic villain. Which can be done well or poorly, but I'm not sure you can make it great. I suppose they could just be avoiding spoiler, in which case, kudos.

All in all, I'm not overwhelmed by that. Just a regular amount of whelming.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 09:31 AM   #177
stang
CP's Fraser Crane

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
K so I absolutely do not understand what they've done with the plot. Is she playing Carol Danvers, or Mar-vell? At first it looks like she's an alien who crashed, but then she's in a fighter jumpsuit. It looks like maybe a sort of a mashup of both characters, which doesn't bode well at all. You'd think BvsS would've been an object lesson in taking stories from comics and trying to cram them together in one movie.

Also, no real indication of a villain, which is another red flag - or at least a suggestion that it'll be a bit of a paint-by-numbers origin story with a generic villain. Which can be done well or poorly, but I'm not sure you can make it great. I suppose they could just be avoiding spoiler, in which case, kudos.

All in all, I'm not overwhelmed by that. Just a regular amount of whelming.
She is Carol Danvers and I didn't get any inkling of a mash-up. I think Jude Law is playing Mar-Vell in the movie.
stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 09:34 AM   #178
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Alright well then I'm just confused. I'll probably end up seeing it regardless.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2018, 09:40 AM   #179
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

So they didn't reveal the bad guy in the trailer and that makes it a red flag?

Give away too much people get mad.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hockeyguy15 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2018, 09:44 AM   #180
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't know #### about Captain Marvel so that didn't really do anything for me.

I'm pretty much in the Avengers, Spider-Man, Thor and Captain America zone for movies I actually care about at this point. Even then, only Avengers and Spider-Man are getting me into the theatre.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote