Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-06-2020, 05:35 PM   #541
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player
 
afc wimbledon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: east van
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
still making money...arguing with you guys is pointless

If you bought a bitcoin Jan 6 you could sell it for about a $3000 profit today (Canadian funds)

not a bad month
That's the nature of penny stocks, make 3000 in one month, lose 5000 the next
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to afc wimbledon For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2020, 09:48 PM   #542
GGG
Franchise Player
 
GGG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
still making money...arguing with you guys is pointless

If you bought a bitcoin Jan 6 you could sell it for about a $3000 profit today (Canadian funds)

not a bad month
Why would you buy Jan 6th and sell today? And why if you are buying Jan 6th is someone selling it to you. What makes you smarter than the person you are buying it from?
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 10:06 PM   #543
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Exp:
Default

I'm wondering if someone buying on Jan 6th would have managed to not sell on Jan 23 when it fell to slightly below its Jan 6th price. If you did weather that storm, what do you do now that it's at resistance? Sell? Buy more? Hold? Somebody make a call here.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 01:01 AM   #544
dino7c
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Exp:
Default

Its not for everyone...my crypto books look better than any mutual fund and yes I have actually pulled out real money. There are patterns if you know what to look for.

I will bet avatar bet anyone on here BTC will be worth 20k+ again
__________________
#MakeTheFlamesGreatAgain
dino7c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 01:09 AM   #545
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player
 
afc wimbledon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: east van
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Its not for everyone...my crypto books look better than any mutual fund and yes I have actually pulled out real money. There are patterns if you know what to look for.

I will bet avatar bet anyone on here BTC will be worth 20k+ again
I know I will regret this but why? what inherent value does it have that will cause it to gain twice its worth, if Apple brings out a great new phone its stco goes up, that I get, what would make bitcoin inherently more valuable as a currency?
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 01:56 AM   #546
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
I know I will regret this but why? what inherent value does it have that will cause it to gain twice its worth, if Apple brings out a great new phone its stco goes up, that I get, what would make bitcoin inherently more valuable as a currency?

Tesla just made it's first dollar about three months ago. Now it's worth more than Ford and GM combined. There are so many reasons stocks go up and only a couple make sense via the ye olde tyme earnings metric.


So we're going with a long call on Bitcoin? Hold? Or buy more? I guess buy more if it's going to 20k?
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 08:02 AM   #547
dobbles
addition by subtraction
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Tulsa, OK
Exp:
Default

I love the cyclical nature of this thread. Someone asks whats new in crypto and if there is any actual use for all this and then someone inevitably retorts with "buy low, sell high, bro!"

It reminds me of stories about the casino. Everyone talks about how they went in with 20 bucks and came out with 500. The way people tell it, casinos are just giant piggy banks that are giving everyone money. But we all know the reality is that they are making oodles of money and that people conveniently forget about all the times they lost money and brag about the single time they come out ahead.

I just find it remarkably similar to the mentality of the crypto bulls. (and dino, don't take it as an attack on you personally. if you are up, good on you!)
dobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dobbles For This Useful Post:
Old 02-08-2020, 07:14 AM   #548
GGG
Franchise Player
 
GGG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Its not for everyone...my crypto books look better than any mutual fund and yes I have actually pulled out real money. There are patterns if you know what to look for.

I will bet avatar bet anyone on here BTC will be worth 20k+ again
So what was your 2019 crypto ROI?
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 12:08 PM   #549
mikephoen
First Line Centre
 
mikephoen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
So what was your 2019 crypto ROI?
If you bought in January 2019 and sold at any other time, it was pretty damn good.
__________________
www.CardShopTolaria.com
mikephoen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 04:35 AM   #550
Jason14h
#1 Goaltender
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Exp:
Default

Bitcoin is up 190% In the last year
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 12:26 PM   #551
topfiverecords
Franchise Player
 
topfiverecords's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: randomrectangleland
Exp:
Default

It's also down 29% in the last year depending how you look at it.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 01:38 PM   #552
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player
 
afc wimbledon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: east van
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason14h View Post
Bitcoin is up 190% In the last year
The thing I find either sad or amusing is that you seem to think this is a good thing, not a clear sign of a massively unstable easily manipulated ponzi scheme.
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 11:21 PM   #553
dino7c
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Exp:
Default

So no takers on the bet? The same people that were poking fun at $3000 Bitcoin continue with the same hot takes. Could have made some nice money.
__________________
#MakeTheFlamesGreatAgain
dino7c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 11:23 PM   #554
dino7c
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
The thing I find either sad or amusing is that you seem to think this is a good thing, not a clear sign of a massively unstable easily manipulated ponzi scheme.
It's sad you are such an expert yet didn't cash in...there is still time
__________________
#MakeTheFlamesGreatAgain
dino7c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 11:30 PM   #555
dino7c
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobbles View Post
I love the cyclical nature of this thread. Someone asks whats new in crypto and if there is any actual use for all this and then someone inevitably retorts with "buy low, sell high, bro!"

It reminds me of stories about the casino. Everyone talks about how they went in with 20 bucks and came out with 500. The way people tell it, casinos are just giant piggy banks that are giving everyone money. But we all know the reality is that they are making oodles of money and that people conveniently forget about all the times they lost money and brag about the single time they come out ahead.

I just find it remarkably similar to the mentality of the crypto bulls. (and dino, don't take it as an attack on you personally. if you are up, good on you!)
I was a crypto bull before the big boom... evidence is in this thread.

Even now none of the naysayers won't even make an avatar bet. BTC is going over 20k...buy some, sell at 20k, make money. I put this out there now some I'm not accused of some fish story later.
__________________
#MakeTheFlamesGreatAgain

Last edited by dino7c; 02-15-2020 at 11:36 PM.
dino7c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 11:56 PM   #556
GGG
Franchise Player
 
GGG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason14h View Post
Bitcoin is up 190% In the last year
That’s different completely from a Bitcoin traders ROI.

If the argument is buy and hold then yes you are up 190. But then your return really depends on when you bought in and if you continue to buy on a regular basis. Or do you try to time the Bitcoin market which is much more challenging and may or may not be possible to do on an ongoing basis.

For example if you bought at the end of 2017 you are still underwater.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 12:00 AM   #557
GGG
Franchise Player
 
GGG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
So no takers on the bet? The same people that were poking fun at $3000 Bitcoin continue with the same hot takes. Could have made some nice money.
Bitcoin will be worth 20k again is a meaningless statement. Due to inflation of soft currency and the fixed quantity of Bitcoin if the product continues to exist and be worth more than zero it will be worth 20k US at some point. It’s buying power at that point in time is unknown.

What is your timeline for it to reach 20k?
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 01:14 AM   #558
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player
 
afc wimbledon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: east van
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
It's sad you are such an expert yet didn't cash in...there is still time
Well I missed out on Bre X as well, fool that I am, still I'm all in on Herbalife these days, I'll make a fortune and lose weight now!!
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 04:06 AM   #559
Jason14h
#1 Goaltender
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
The thing I find either sad or amusing is that you seem to think this is a good thing, not a clear sign of a massively unstable easily manipulated ponzi scheme.
How is is sad or amusing ? The question was asked, I went and did the 365 rate of return from the day the question was asked

It is literally just FACTUALLY answering the price movement of Bitcoin , no different then if someone asked what the return on Tesla was
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 04:08 AM   #560
Jason14h
#1 Goaltender
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
That’s different completely from a Bitcoin traders ROI.

If the argument is buy and hold then yes you are up 190. But then your return really depends on when you bought in and if you continue to buy on a regular basis. Or do you try to time the Bitcoin market which is much more challenging and may or may not be possible to do on an ongoing basis.

For example if you bought at the end of 2017 you are still underwater.
No argument . The question was what was the ROI in the last year.

All I did was state a factual statement that Bitcoin is up 190% YoY
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
bitcoin , cryptocurrency , ethereum

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:50 AM.

Calgary Flames
2019-20




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Calgarypuck 2016