Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 12-21-2012, 07:38 AM   #1
SeeGeeWhy
#1 Goaltender

Exp:
Default Shaw Thread

Please correct me if I missed but but I didn't see a general purpose shaw thread.

Looking to get an HD PVR, looks like the best bet on a new one is through shaw's easy own option $10/mo for 36 months.

Anyone here have advice on whether or not to pull the trigger on this? Visions is selling some refurbished receivers with a third of the storage for $130... would I be missing out on anything awesome if I went with this option instead?

Cheers
SeeGeeWhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 07:54 AM   #2
Bmuzyka
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

We got setup this spring with the Shaw Gateway. Its a central Unit they install near your Utility Box, and it holds your PVR Hard Drive and does all your recording. You then get Portal Boxes for each of your TVs, and you can then watch your PVR'd recordings in any room in the house. Its a pretty cool setup.
Bmuzyka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 08:26 AM   #3
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

At this point, I would be getting a Gateway. The big benefit to doing this is being able to view your recorded content on any TV in the house (that has a portal), but another very large draw for me is having 6 tuners. This means that you can record/watch live 6 things at a time among your TVs. For me, that means never needing to juggle recordings to be able to record a hockey game.

You can also trade your existing boxes for portals as long as you purchase a Gateway and Portal.

All that said, if you only have 1 TV, then just get a regular pvr. The choice between refurb or new depends on the actual models, since all PVRs are not created equal.

edit: Also don't worry so much about the storage on the device itself, whichever route you go (Gateway, Refurb PVR, New PVR) you should get a PVR expander.

Last edited by Rathji; 12-21-2012 at 08:28 AM.
Rathji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 10:01 AM   #4
SeeGeeWhy
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Thanks guys
SeeGeeWhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 10:10 AM   #5
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

How does the Gateway factor into your overall network? Is it hooked into your modem, is it the modem, etc? I thought I had read somewhere that the gateway is now essentially your hub for both the TV and your Internet/network feed.
woob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 10:20 AM   #6
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Gateway, phone and internet are all connected to your coax feed separately.
Old 12-21-2012, 10:22 AM   #7
Bmuzyka
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

It is eventually going to be a Wi-Fi Access Point, but Shaw hasn't enabled it yet. Right now, it is seperate from your Internet Connection, it sets up a second private network in your house.
Bmuzyka is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bmuzyka For This Useful Post:
Old 10-09-2013, 05:49 PM   #8
TheSutterDynasty
First Line Centre

Exp:

Thought this was the best place for this:

Shaw just bumped up my cable bill by $5/month. How common are these rate increases? Is there any way to combat them?

An environment in which a person encounters only beliefs or opinions that coincide with their own, so that their existing views are reinforced and alternative ideas are not considered.
TheSutterDynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 07:26 PM   #9
gottabekd
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

My Shaw bill has gone up $17 in the last 12 months. I've been humming and hawwing about switching to Telus to take advantage of their deals. But in the end, I decided to stay on Shaw and avoid the hassle of scheduling an install, being stuck on a 3 year contract in case the Telus Internet service is ####ty where I live.

Should also mention the Shaw rep I talked to said "Well, you are on a grandfathered account so you are paying less than new customers". Just because you jacked up your rates, doesn't mean I am getting a deal. Oh well, jokes on me I stick with them and pay it.

TV service just bugs me. I watch a few hours of sports a month, and pay $40/month for it. If there was a way to pay just $15/month for TSN and Sportsnet, I'd be all over that.

Last edited by gottabekd; 10-09-2013 at 07:52 PM.
gottabekd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 08:29 AM   #10
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

I purchased the gateway a couple weeks ago and it has been great. The price difference was quite minimal from the single HDPVR, so it made sense. The install was very simple even though we didn't have a coax outlet in the room with the second tv- there was one in the room next to it, which made it easy to feed a line over. I subscribe to Movie Central, and the SOD movie central menu has considerably more movies than my old pvr. SOD loading times were awful with the old box, very fast on the gateway.

I'm still getting used to the new guide, menu, PVR settings, but some small complaints I have are-

1/ There is no "exit" button on the controller. May not seem like a big deal, but it is annoying having to press "menu" several times to get out of menu, pvr or sod. 2/ It still lists all the channels that I do not subscribe to, even though I was told it would not- perhaps there is some way I can customize this? 3/ my bill is outrageous, but it always has been, so whatever. I essentially pay 200 a month without any SOD rentals. I have telephone, internet, and the large tv bundle.
Flabbibulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 08:52 AM   #11
Diemenz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flabbibulin View Post
1/ There is no "exit" button on the controller. May not seem like a big deal, but it is annoying having to press "menu" several times to get out of menu, pvr or sod. 2/ It still lists all the channels that I do not subscribe to, even though I was told it would not- perhaps there is some way I can customize this? 3/ my bill is outrageous, but it always has been, so whatever. I essentially pay 200 a month without any SOD rentals. I have telephone, internet, and the large tv bundle.
1/ Press zoom or live, it will exit you all the way out.
2/ You can go into settings and remove whatever channels you want and they will not appear in the guide. You can also click to watch those channels as you remove them so you don't remove something you wanted and you can be sure your removing a channel that you don't subscribe to.
3/ I feel your pain I'm in the exact same boat.
Old 10-10-2013, 08:58 AM   #12
The Goon
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

This thread is good timing - we're getting Gateway installed tomorrow after our 3416 crapped out a few days ago.
We may curse our bad luck that it's sounds like its; who's sounds like whose; they're sounds like their (and there); and you're sounds like your. But if we are grown-ups who have been through full-time education, we have no excuse for muddling them up.
The Goon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 08:58 AM   #13
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am at about $110 with shaw, but my cable is minimal. I subscribe to some packages sporadically, throughout the year to get shows like Walking Dead, Game of Thrones, Dexter, etc, so my bill is probably just as often closer to $130 than $110.

edit: The Shaw Easy Own is on top of that, I think it is $17 auto charged to my CC, but might be $27, I don't recall for sure right now.
Old 10-10-2013, 09:56 AM   #14
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemenz View Post
1/ Press zoom or live, it will exit you all the way out.
2/ You can go into settings and remove whatever channels you want and they will not appear in the guide. You can also click to watch those channels as you remove them so you don't remove something you wanted and you can be sure your removing a channel that you don't subscribe to.
3/ I feel your pain I'm in the exact same boat.
I thought that's what the technician said about the zoom button, but I couldn't get it to work. Will have to try again. The problem with the live button is that it is not useful if you are on a time delay, on pvr, or SOD.

Anyway, small issues. Very happy overall. The channel caching is amazing. Makes it awesome to game flip for the NFL and NHL.
Flabbibulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 10:35 AM   #15
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Zoom button will fix your problem. I recommend getting a harmony remote as the portals seem to be more responsive to the better remote as the one shaw gives is junk and has lag issues. I then program the Exit button on the harmony remote as zoom and it makes me feel like I have a normal exit button!
fundmark19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 11:23 AM   #16
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

I had issues with finding a code for my portal that worked correctly with the Harmony remote, although to be fair, I haven't looked at it in over a year.

Which code are you using?
Old 10-10-2013, 12:00 PM   #17
TheSutterDynasty
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottabekd View Post
My Shaw bill has gone up $17 in the last 12 months. I've been humming and hawwing about switching to Telus to take advantage of their deals. But in the end, I decided to stay on Shaw and avoid the hassle of scheduling an install, being stuck on a 3 year contract in case the Telus Internet service is ####ty where I live.

Should also mention the Shaw rep I talked to said "Well, you are on a grandfathered account so you are paying less than new customers". Just because you jacked up your rates, doesn't mean I am getting a deal. Oh well, jokes on me I stick with them and pay it.

TV service just bugs me. I watch a few hours of sports a month, and pay $40/month for it. If there was a way to pay just $15/month for TSN and Sportsnet, I'd be all over that.
I'm in the exact same boat as you. Though I guess if you watch 3 games / week at $40/month it comes out to < $1.50 / hour of entertainment. Worth it.. but was even more worth it at $35/month!!

An environment in which a person encounters only beliefs or opinions that coincide with their own, so that their existing views are reinforced and alternative ideas are not considered.
TheSutterDynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 12:23 PM   #18
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Same boat, but I've just been looking at cutting cable altogether. Hockey keeps me on it.

I would never use Telus in a million years, for anything, ever. I deal with them daily at my work and holy hell never ever ever ever.

Ever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PsYcNeT For This Useful Post:
Old 10-10-2013, 12:41 PM   #19
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathji View Post
I had issues with finding a code for my portal that worked correctly with the Harmony remote, although to be fair, I haven't looked at it in over a year.

Which code are you using?
They have a shaw portal code now. It seems to be working just fine.
fundmark19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 08:12 AM   #20
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

What cable packages get you CBC, TSN and Sportsnet? The basic one?
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote