Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-14-2019, 08:57 AM   #1
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:
Default Best console for a 10 year old boy

My son is asking for either a XBOXOne or a PS4 for his birthday. My gaming days are long behind me. Any advice on the best fit for a 10 year old? Up to this point he's been playing WiiU games. He doesn't want Switch.

He likes games like Minecraft, Super Mario Maker, Super Smash Bros.
He is very interested in Fortnite (we haven't let him play it up to now).
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 09:14 AM   #2
8sPOT
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

My son is about the same age and has an XboxOne. Well he got it for Christmas from Santa, and coincidentally I wanted an XboxOne as well. To me its about the controllers, as minor as that seems. Never liked the Playstation controllers.
8sPOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 09:16 AM   #3
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Look at the exclusives with him and ask him which ones he wants to play more. There is your answer.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 10:17 AM   #4
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8sPOT View Post
To me its about the controllers, as minor as that seems. Never liked the Playstation controllers.
In total agreement. But man I really want to play that Spiderman game.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GoinAllTheWay For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2019, 10:35 AM   #5
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsJunky View Post
My son is asking for either a XBOXOne or a PS4 for his birthday. My gaming days are long behind me. Any advice on the best fit for a 10 year old? Up to this point he's been playing WiiU games. He doesn't want Switch.

He likes games like Minecraft, Super Mario Maker, Super Smash Bros.
He is very interested in Fortnite (we haven't let him play it up to now).
I'd go for either a PS4 or build him his own gaming PC. There're rarely any exclusives on microsoft consoles worth bothering with. On PS4 you already have Spider-man, God of War 4, etc. On PC you're going to have the best framerates, resolution, performance, etc.

Of course if he likes those Wii U games it's bizarre he doesn't want a switch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8sPOT View Post
To me its about the controllers, as minor as that seems.
And my favourite controller of this gen is also the Switch pro controller, which I'm also using with my PC.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 10:37 AM   #6
Mccree
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I suppose if you are allowing him to play online (my 12y/o does) then you need to consider what console his friends play on.

Mccree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mccree For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2019, 10:44 AM   #7
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
Yes, I thought Switch would have been a no-brainer but his buddies are all on either Xbox or PlayStation.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 10:50 AM   #8
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Find out what his friends play on. Seriously. It's how kids that age communicate with each other outside of school these days.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2019, 11:40 AM   #9
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've never liked the xbox controllers.

We have had a PS4 for about 4 years now. My boys are now 14 and 11. Their cousins have had an Xboxone for a couple of years. My kids don't like the XBox controllers and their cousins don't like the PS4 controllers. You get used to something and wind up not liking the other I guess.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 11:53 AM   #10
TimSJ
First Line Centre

Exp:

This, Find out what majority of his friends are on. I don't think the console matters as much.

also find out what version of games they are on may not need the latest. My 11 year old and his friends are still playing NHL18 only a couple got 19 so they stick to the older one.

They have been planning on all getting NHL 20 this year and moving up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
Find out what his friends play on. Seriously. It's how kids that age communicate with each other outside of school these days.

TimSJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 02:52 PM   #11
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Favourite system: XboxOne X
Favourite controllers: PS4
Favourite games: Switch

There, that should help decide things.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 03:56 PM   #12
mikephoen
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Get both. Be dad of the year. Use whichever one he isn’t using to play your own games. Win-win-win!
mikephoen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mikephoen For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2019, 03:08 AM   #13
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have all three. I think I have the most fun on my Switch. I’m surprised he wouldn’t want one given the games he likes are all available on the Switch (and two of them are only available on the Switch). The downside is the online play is lacking.

The PS4 and Xbox One really come down to preference. I prefer the PS4, I find its much easier to navigate the menus, the store is way better, and the controller is much more comfortable. The PS4 also comes with a mic included and the Xbox One controller that comes with the system still requires batteries (somehow). If he’s fine with either I would easily go PS4, but what the others have said about what his friends play is really the biggest factor. At the end of the day you’ll get a very similar experience out of either console.

Both systems are going to cost $69.99 for one year of online, and I’d imagine you’ll be the one to pay for that so don’t forget to consider that.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 07:10 AM   #14
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
I'd go for either a PS4 or build him his own gaming PC. There're rarely any exclusives on microsoft consoles worth bothering with. On PS4 you already have Spider-man, God of War 4, etc. On PC you're going to have the best framerates, resolution, performance, etc.

And my favourite controller of this gen is also the Switch pro controller, which I'm also using with my PC.
My boys just turned 11 and 13. The 13 year old has only ever played on gaming PCs, and the 11 year old has pretty much stopped using his xbox in favor of a gaming pc.

If Minecraft is a favorite, the kids say it much better on the PC. My kids have finally quit Fort Nite and have gone back to Minecraft after not playing for a couple years.

A useful side benefit is that they know their way around a computer pretty well and are picking up some coding skills.

I agree with the others though about what their friends are using being the most important factor.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 06:04 PM   #15
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

We all know whatever your kid gets, he's going to go play online and kick my ass like the rest of those jerks do.

As for controller preferences, just buy the controller you want and a CronusMax from Best Buy. I used Xbox 360 controllers on my PS3 with it, and it works with X1/PS4 now. You need a 1:1 controller ratio, so if you had a PS4 and wanted to use two Xbox One controllers, you need two CronusMax units and two PS4 controllers. But if you really like the controllers on one system but the other system itself, you have options.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 06:23 PM   #16
Jbo
NOT a cool kid

Exp:

PS4. Most kids are on PS4
Jbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 08:58 PM   #17
comrade
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Tell him you'll buy either but he has to decide which one. Let him do the leg work and own the decision.
comrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 03:32 PM   #18
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

He wants to play Fortnite, yes I said it, that's all he wants, second hand PS4 will do it just fine
afc wimbledon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 03:46 PM   #19
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
I can't upvote this enough. My son and all his friends play xbox.. except for one. This kid had all the exclusives for his PS4 but he was never a part of the banter all his mates had while they played mulitplayer games. He ended up selling it and getting an xbox last month.

It's true about the communication part too. I went downstairs once and my son wasn't even playing - just group chatting with everyone while he watched netflix.
Coys1882 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Coys1882 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2019, 07:35 AM   #20
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
He wants to play Fortnite, yes I said it, that's all he wants, second hand PS4 will do it just fine
Fortnite mania seems to be over. My kids and their friends (11-13) who were all obsessed, all stopped playing a month or two ago.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote