Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-02-2020, 06:57 PM   #481
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1290000262220808192
Old 08-02-2020, 06:57 PM   #482
Superfraggle
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterJoji View Post
Did anyone else notice that on Reider’s shorty, Ryan might’ve gotten away with an obstruction/interference call? Morrison went right to the ref after, arms up. Or was that just a savvy veteran play?
I noticed it at the time, but I think the non-call was correct. Ryan got in the way by out-skating the other guy and getting to the spot first. He was also legitimately moving into a better position to be part of the play/potential rebound. I think it was a savvy veteran play that was within the rules. If he had stopped skating or put a hold on the other guy, it would be different, but he simply got there first and the contact was incidental to that.
Superfraggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 07:06 PM   #483
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Did anyone else notice that on Reider’s shorty, Ryan might’ve gotten away with an obstruction/interference call? Morrison went right to the ref after, arms up. Or was that just a savvy veteran play?
I noticed, but the same player also interfered with Reider (or Ryan) a little when he skated by. Refs can't let one go and not the other IMO
CalgaryFan1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 07:27 PM   #484
midniteowl
Franchise Player

Exp:

To Paul Maurice, Winnipeg Jets fans and Oilers fans:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1290059712126427136
Old 08-02-2020, 07:48 PM   #485
puckhog
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superfraggle View Post
I noticed it at the time, but I think the non-call was correct. Ryan got in the way by out-skating the other guy and getting to the spot first. He was also legitimately moving into a better position to be part of the play/potential rebound. I think it was a savvy veteran play that was within the rules. If he had stopped skating or put a hold on the other guy, it would be different, but he simply got there first and the contact was incidental to that.
This is exactly what I thought when I watched the replay. Once Ryan beat him to the open ice for a rebound, it was two players trying to occupy the same advantaged piece of ice. No interference, just a very savvy play by Ryan.
puckhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 08:15 PM   #486
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

I am shocked by the aftermath of the Scheifele incident. Watching it, I couldn’t even figure out how he was injured, as you couldn’t really see anything that clearly pointed to an injury (it just looked awkward, it wasn’t a “Steven Stamkos into the post” moment).

But to see Maurice’s comments? Garbage. I get it, he’s playing the game, but it’s a garbage thing to say. And then the Jets fans that jumped on that dumb narrative? Man, for those that did, enjoy your place amongst Oilers fans as complete embarrassments. Kudos to the fans, media people, and NHL employees who saw the incident without their head 2 feet up their own ass, and knew it was a cut-and-dry accident.

I don’t know why I’m always completely surprised some Jets fans are so casual and so thick. But it makes more sense why the NHL abandoned them once already.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 08-02-2020, 08:19 PM   #487
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah I'm really amazed at the reaction to this. 98% is definitely just because it was Tkachuk, but watching it, I thought he dodged the hit, caught a rut, frigged his angle and/or banged his knee on the board
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 08:20 PM   #488
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
I am shocked by the aftermath of the Scheifele incident. Watching it, I couldn’t even figure out how he was injured, as you couldn’t really see anything that clearly pointed to an injury (it just looked awkward, it wasn’t a “Steven Stamkos into the post” moment).
I noticed on the angle from directly behind Tkachuk, you can see the toe of his skate come up as he goes to stop (a pretty standard way to do so when you're making a quick cut), and looks like it may have hit the back of Scheifele's leg.

That said, too me, it looked more like a injury as a result of a twist of his knee/ankle when he tried to dodge the hit.
Old 08-02-2020, 08:37 PM   #489
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
Geoff Ward should probably get a re-vote in the coaches poll on the basis of just this game. What a terrific performance by him in the past 24 hours.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
I kept trying to vote him into a higher position. Do the vote again at the end of these playoffs and the consensus around him may be quite different.

If the Flames win against the Jets, do we count this as a playoffs round win? It's not really the playoffs, but the rest of the stats seem to count as playoff stats. The level of play in a lot of these series seems to be playoffs level.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 09:11 PM   #490
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1290116427731492864
Old 08-02-2020, 09:18 PM   #491
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1289956490002890754

No crowds = chirps heard by everyone in the rink. To nobody’s surprise, there’s plenty of F-bombs.
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 09:47 PM   #492
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

With all this talk of Tkachuk "getting" him in the back of the leg, are they confirming in a roundabout way that it's a laceration?
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 09:48 PM   #493
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

TSN reporters saying Schiefle injury not long term

Sara Orlesky @saraorlesky
A source tells me tonight that Mark Scheifele's injury is not believed to be long term but he is still doubtful for game 2 Monday afternoon. Patrik Laine is also doubtful. #NHL #TSN

Frank Seravalli @frank_seravalli
Huge sigh of relief for #nhljets. All indications are no Achilles damage for Scheifele. Seems to have dodged a major bullet as @saraorlesky reports ⬇️
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 08-02-2020, 09:55 PM   #494
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Veteran play.

Refs were probably like "you're lucky you're not getting two for holding, now shut up."
Old 08-02-2020, 09:56 PM   #495
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
TSN reporters saying Schiefle injury not long term

Sara Orlesky @saraorlesky
A source tells me tonight that Mark Scheifele's injury is not believed to be long term but he is still doubtful for game 2 Monday afternoon. Patrik Laine is also doubtful. #NHL #TSN

Frank Seravalli @frank_seravalli
Huge sigh of relief for #nhljets. All indications are no Achilles damage for Scheifele. Seems to have dodged a major bullet as @saraorlesky reports ⬇️
So they're basically confirming that Tkachuk's skate had nothing to do with the injury, dispelling Mr. Maurice's claim/narrative?

Well would you look at that.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 10:27 PM   #496
Wood
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
So they're basically confirming that Tkachuk's skate had nothing to do with the injury, dispelling Mr. Maurice's claim/narrative?

Well would you look at that.
He could still be cut, just not any serious damage thankfully

Either way, Maurice was way out of line IMO
Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 10:31 PM   #497
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Spotted in a walking boot apparently so not a cut. Ankle or knee sprain likely.
Galakanokis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Galakanokis For This Useful Post:
Old 08-02-2020, 10:32 PM   #498
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have Oiler friends who absolutely hate Tkatchuk, but even they said they didn't think the hit was on Chucky, which kind of says it all IMO. Real unfortunate hit, but Maurice's narrative on the hit is just pure crap.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 10:36 PM   #499
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

The thing I find the funniest about the haters is when they get told to watch the video again and look for Tkachuk's skate to bounce they either ignore it or they say because of his history he doesn't get the benefit the doubt from them.
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 10:46 PM   #500
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

So no cut, no rupture, no tear or rip, he's not expected to be out for the rest of the season and no surgery, and likely a sprain that was caused by his body going one way and his leg getting stuck.

No producing of the mysterious film that Maurice has talked about.

So basically Maurice embarressed himself and his organization, the league should fine him for his lack of integrity and he should actually have to apologize publically to Tkachuk and the Flames organization.

Look I'm glad that MS isn't seriously hurt. But there was no way this was some vicious assault by Tkachuk. This was invented fiction by a professional head coach to get a player suspended and hardly professional conduct.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post: