Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-02-2020, 03:51 PM   #461
wired
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post
Someone get me up to speed how bitter are Oilers fans right now.
Ill let ya know after work tomorrow.
wired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 03:54 PM   #462
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I hate how when we have a huge win against a Canadian rival the post game talk / celebrating gets completely derailed by a some manufactured controversy from sore losers on the other side.

So little talk now about how great and refreshing of a start this was for the team.

Can't forget to savor and enjoy these wins.

Last edited by djsFlames; 08-02-2020 at 06:45 PM.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 08-02-2020, 03:54 PM   #463
azzarish
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Pat Steinberg @Fan960Steinberg
#Flames head coach Geoff Ward on Tkachuk:

“I feel at this point in time I have to defend my player. Was there intent there to put his skate on Scheifele? No. There was no intent. I understand what Paul is doing. He’s trying to get an elite player on our team suspended.”

Wes Gilbertson @WesGilbertson
now
#Flames coach Geoff Ward adamant Matthew Tkachuk had no intent to injure. Says Paul Maurice is trying to get an elite player suspended and create energy for his own group. "If it was Johnny Gaudreau instead of Matthew Tkachuk, we're probably not even talking about it."

edit: Aaron Vickers with the full transcript
So....Paul. You were saying?
azzarish is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to azzarish For This Useful Post:
Old 08-02-2020, 03:57 PM   #464
Nsd1
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
An eerily similar play just occurred in the Flyer/Bruin game and no one is even hinting that it was intentional. Raffl couldnt put an ounce of weight on his leg going off either, after being hit by Lauzon.

That alone should be enough to shut the mindless morons up. But it wont.
Here’s the play:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1290039770605813761
Nsd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 03:57 PM   #465
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Video of Ward's presser. His talk about the hit is right at the beginning...

https://twitter.com/user/status/1290042786465513472
Old 08-02-2020, 04:00 PM   #466
midniteowl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Jets are doubling down

Eric Francis @EricFrancis
now
Adam Lowry on the Tkachuk hit this morning: "I agree with what Paul said last night. I don’t think it’s accidental."

Eric Francis @EricFrancis
Lowry on whether thinks Tkachuk is dirty player: "I don't know if I'm going call him a dirty player but he is a bit reckless."

Oh look, the pot is calling the kettle black.
Old 08-02-2020, 04:07 PM   #467
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
If it did disrupt them that much, that is on them.

As for the incident though, and the discussion by the refs, I was surprised at how clueless the commentators were. It was obvious, and the reply showed it clearly, that the Jets defenseman shot the puck over the boards. The refs were discussing of it went straight out and should be a penalty (looked like it did).

But the commentators are talking about whether they were going to penalize Lindholm. Big miss there.
I wonder if with covid they are maybe missing a spotter to help them. Looked pretty obvious from the replay and they still were oblivious.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 04:14 PM   #468
midniteowl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Pat Steinberg @Fan960Steinberg
#Flames head coach Geoff Ward on Tkachuk:

“I feel at this point in time I have to defend my player. Was there intent there to put his skate on Scheifele? No. There was no intent. I understand what Paul is doing. He’s trying to get an elite player on our team suspended.”

Wes Gilbertson @WesGilbertson
now
#Flames coach Geoff Ward adamant Matthew Tkachuk had no intent to injure. Says Paul Maurice is trying to get an elite player suspended and create energy for his own group. "If it was Johnny Gaudreau instead of Matthew Tkachuk, we're probably not even talking about it."

edit: Aaron Vickers with the full transcript

I'm out of thanks....so THANKS!!!
Old 08-02-2020, 04:21 PM   #469
Boo Radley
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post

This was a very enjoyable day.
This is awesome and I can finally see her spin both clockwise and counter clockwise.

Max Ehrmann
Boo Radley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Boo Radley For This Useful Post:
Old 08-02-2020, 04:23 PM   #470
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

That is in the nicest way Ward telling Maurice to go F himself.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 08-02-2020, 04:37 PM   #471
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

I'm rewatching the NBC broadcast of the game now and the audio ix is really weird. The balance between commentators and on-ice / fake crowd noise is good, but the on-ice mics seem to often have that weird backwards issue that the refs have had when announcing penalties.

The SNET broadcast I had last night sounded good live, but the highlight package is 75% on ice mics and fake crowd noise, and 25% commentators:
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 08-02-2020, 04:45 PM   #472
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

If Paul Maurice had come out today and said something like “I made those comments in the heat of the moment after an emotional game, I stand by my sentiment but the way I said it was wrong” I could have respected that.

But doubling down on his comments makes him look like a fool.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to N-E-B For This Useful Post:
Old 08-02-2020, 04:54 PM   #473
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

Maurice and Lowry both talk like it's a foregone conclusion - he was cut on the back of his leg.
TSN panel says there is more and more talk that it is a hockey injury and he wasn't cut.

It will be interesting to find out the truth.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SportsJunky For This Useful Post:
Old 08-02-2020, 05:04 PM   #474
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Paul Maurice He's the Leonard Huff of the NHL

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 08-02-2020, 05:42 PM   #475
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinL_NHL View Post
I'm not really one that buys into "intangibles" and I put much more focus on the deeper numbers, but I do think in this situation with zero fans in the building, intangibles could actually play a massive part and work in the Flames' favor.

With someone like Tkachuk who is soooo vocal throughout the entire game and gives his all every shift, he's basically the Flames' own little fan cheering section and in an environment as quiet as any of these players have ever played in, it could be that tiiiiiny bit of extra push and motivation that gives them an edge.

Then you have players like Bennett, Andersson, Dube, Mangiapane, Gio, Lucic and even Lindholm who aren't afraid to go out there and throw their bodies around to keep the edge consistent every shift.

Definitely intriguing. At least to me.

*impending 3-straight Jets wins*
The lack of fans may help the Flames in other ways. This isn't a team, in recent years, that has responded well in "big games" when in front of a fired up fan base in their own barn.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 08-02-2020, 05:43 PM   #476
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardodw View Post
Paul Maurice is #5 in all time games coached in the NHL. Does he have a reputation for calling players dirty? I can not recall of any incidents prior to this one.

Tkachuk will have a long and successful career, but his playing over the edge has a downside as he will be under extra referee scrutiny.
Paul Maurice, has a pattern of using the media to take the attention of his team and put in on something else (sometimes himself).

This is a ploy. Nothing more.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 08-02-2020, 06:33 PM   #477
MisterJoji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Did anyone else notice that on Reider’s shorty, Ryan might’ve gotten away with an obstruction/interference call? Morrison went right to the ref after, arms up. Or was that just a savvy veteran play?
Old 08-02-2020, 06:43 PM   #478
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterJoji View Post
Did anyone else notice that on Reider’s shorty, Ryan might’ve gotten away with an obstruction/interference call? Morrison went right to the ref after, arms up. Or was that just a savvy veteran play?
Yeah I noticed that on the re-watch this morning. No way Morrison catches Reider at that point anyways, BUT yeah, I'd be ticked if it wasn't called the other way.
Old 08-02-2020, 06:45 PM   #479
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterJoji View Post
Yeah, I think there might have been an argument on that, but the refs missed so many calls on both ends I often wondered if they were reffing the same game I was watching.
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 06:56 PM   #480
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
The lack of fans may help the Flames in other ways. This isn't a team, in recent years, that has responded well in "big games" when in front of a fired up fan base in their own barn.
Absence of fans and away games may be factors that lend themselves to some kind of run for the team. It's not out or the question given they were, if I recall, the top NHL road team since Ward took over. They've also won a lot at Rogers Place specifically recently. They feel good and like playing there.

They're flying completely under the radar but if someone covering the tournament looked into and considered these things they might give the Flames more credit, and even a sight edge going in.

Also factors such as the goalies having elite numbers playing on the road were not but should be considered. Both were brought down by their at home statistics. But they won't be playing there in this tournament. If we're getting their road games which were I think up in the .930s territory then you can't count them out too easily at all.

Don't think enough homework was done on the flames outside of their regular season individual drop offs and their performance against the Avs, both of which overshadowed some underlying positive indicators.

If this were a normal playoff scenario where they'd be playing games at a packed Saddledome then absolutely I'd be wary about giving them my vote but these special circumstances play in their favor given what we know about this team in road situation *this* season.

Last edited by djsFlames; 08-02-2020 at 07:01 PM.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote