Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-02-2020, 09:28 AM   #341
Canada 02
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan87 View Post
Speaking of Rinaldo.. he was kind of quiet last night. I was expecting a few more big hits.
He had 3 min of ice time
Canada 02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 09:31 AM   #342
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post
At the end of this clip I’m pretty sure Wheeler intentionally kicks his skate blade towards Tkachuk, clearly attempting to slice open his jugular. What a filthy, disgusting play — I think we should all be relieved Tkachuk’s career wasn’t ended.
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 09:32 AM   #343
jmac98
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhitbox View Post

It’s comments like this that makes me proud to be a flames fan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Shouldn’t this guy be on a couch next to Rick Moranis drinking beer?
jmac98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 09:34 AM   #344
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinL_NHL View Post
The great takeaway is the Flames absolutely dominated special teams, which seemed to be the entirety of the game.

The not-good takeaway is 5v5, it was similar to last year against the Avs. Had 4 more shots but were badly-beaten in every category.

Need to be much better 5v5 or continue to play the majority of the game on special teams
That's not entirely accurate.

Well I guess it is as a summary, but not the spirit of the game. The Flames were up in CF% through two periods but score effects played a role in the final frame for sure.

The Jets had the only four high danger chances in the third, compared to four total in the first two.

Five on five the Flames are great defensively, but they need to create more offensively for sure.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 08-02-2020, 09:35 AM   #345
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wastedyouth View Post
I'm of the opinion that we, as fans, can be a bit more magnanimous and a little better than the fans we like to trash on.

People in this thread are acting like they and the Flames are the victims here. It's funny. And im just saying, be a good winner. Not a poor one.
I get what you're trying to say, but all these inaccurate comments from the media paint the Flames as villains and taint the win. It is them who are creating the narrative.

The Flames were the better team last night by a fairly large margin. But very few are giving the Flames any credit. All the talk is about Tkachuk and Giordano.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 09:36 AM   #346
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvp2003 View Post
It was the penalty where he got blindsided so you know he personally wanted to make them pay. Almost did it himself (hit both posts) but obviously just as happy his teammate could bury it. Give credit to Backlund as well — it was a huge goal to continue the momentum and he absolutely sniped it against the best goalie in the league this year. No small feat.
A little lost in the aftermath of last night's game is the fact that this was the first "playoff" game in which Backlund and Gaudreau scored since Game 4 in the second round in 2015.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 08-02-2020, 09:36 AM   #347
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
I get what you're trying to say, but all these inaccurate comments from the media paint the Flames as villains and taint the win. It is them who are creating the narrative.

The Flames were the better team last night by a fairly large margin. But very few are giving the Flames any credit. All the talk is about Tkachuk and Giordano.
This is fine. Let others consistently underestimate us and chalk our success up to luck. They will be unprepared for the truth
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 09:40 AM   #348
Infinit47
First Line Centre

Exp:

I understand why Jets fans are upset, and I understand Maurice is lobbying the league on future calls with his comments.

I'm sure I would be upset if the situation were reversed, but this looks like such a nothing play.

My money is on his achilles having torn (not cut).
Infinit47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 09:44 AM   #349
flambers
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinit47 View Post
I understand why Jets fans are upset, and I understand Maurice is lobbying the league on future calls with his comments.

I'm sure I would be upset if the situation were reversed, but this looks like such a nothing play.

My money is on his achilles having torn (not cut).
I would guess, his injury is a high ankle sprain maybe related to his knee.

Maurice went way over the top with his comments, at that speed there is no way that type of thing was intentional.

Jet's player tried to move, his blade was stuck
flambers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 09:45 AM   #350
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
That's not entirely accurate.

Well I guess it is as a summary, but not the spirit of the game. The Flames were up in CF% through two periods but score effects played a role in the final frame for sure.

The Jets had the only four high danger chances in the third, compared to four total in the first two.

Five on five the Flames are great defensively, but they need to create more offensively for sure.
This sure felt like one of those games where the advanced metrics don't accurately depict what was going on throughout the game. There was hardly any room on the ice at all 5v5, which seems like the reason for the very low number of HD chances for both teams. But the Flames had the puck most of the time, and the Jets were chasing through most of the game.

If anything, I think it shows a really strong strategic effort from two really well matched teams, which is why the game was decided on special teams.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 09:46 AM   #351
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post

I don't see it tainting the win at all. Why are you letting it affect your opinion of something that was pretty fun and awesome? It's a few talking heads trying to drum up some stories. In the end our team won and theirs didn't. Whatever some goof is saying doesn't reverse that.

Tkachuk is a rat####. But he's our rat####. Enjoy it. Is all I'm saying.

Anyways, that's all I got to say about it!
Wastedyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 09:47 AM   #352
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

The media is trying to spin the Flames into some dirty team but the reality is Eakins attempt to take out Tkachuk's knee was one of the more disgusting plays I've seen in some time. 100% deliberate intent to injure. I hope Maurice takes a good look at that video before beaking off about any Flames players.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 08-02-2020, 09:51 AM   #353
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mass_nerder View Post
The hit was going to be a second or two late, so in that respect, it could be viewed as borderline; however, the hit itself would have been fine. Those kind of "late" hits happen 10 times a game though, and it's pretty clear that Scheifele saw it coming, as he tried to steer out of it.
Players don't typically shove the back of another player's leg with their foot when they're making a check. Looked like Tkachuk was trying to nudge Scheifele off balance as he came in to make the check.

I don't think it was an egregious attempt to injure. But c'mon. If that's a play Neal makes on Monahan, this board wouldn't be shrugging it off as an unfortunate accident.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 09:53 AM   #354
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
I don't think it was an egregious attempt to injure. But c'mon. If that's a play Neal makes on Monahan, this board wouldn't be shrugging it off as an unfortunate accident.
I don't know about that. I'm pretty positive Ward wouldn't be telling the media what a disgusting play it was after the game. You can go a full season in the NHL and not see an injury happen exactly like that as it's a one in a million play where a player turns away from taking a hit and the other player follows through amounting to chance skate to skate contact on the boards so I have a hard time coming to any conclusions that Tkachuk planned anything other than finishing his check on the play.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 08-02-2020 at 09:55 AM.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 09:59 AM   #355
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

The fact that it's pretty much just Maurice and Oilers fans mad at Tkachuk is what makes it fun for me.

Pretty telling when most peoples reaction isn't "I hope Mark is okay!" but rather "Derp, Tkachuk bad, hurrrrr"
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 10:00 AM   #356
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

Did Geoff Ward say anything interesting after the game? Not sure why people are waiting for Treliving to respond. The team does have a coach who should be standing up for his players.
keenan87 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 10:02 AM   #357
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't want Treleving or Ward to say anything, just act like pros to contrast the whining
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 08-02-2020, 10:03 AM   #358
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Salty Oilers fans are comparing it to Kassian’s kick and using it to fit their “league is out to get the Oilers” narrative. Hilarious.
Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 10:04 AM   #359
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan87 View Post
Speaking of Rinaldo.. he was kind of quiet last night. I was expecting a few more big hits.
Only 3:10 of ice time. The Flames were basically running three lines all game with Ryan and Reiner getting PK time.
Old 08-02-2020, 10:07 AM   #360
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
The media is trying to spin the Flames into some dirty team but the reality is Eakins attempt to take out Tkachuk's knee was one of the more disgusting plays I've seen in some time. 100% deliberate intent to injure. I hope Maurice takes a good look at that video before beaking off about any Flames players.
Yes, we need a video of this. From the original reply during the game iirc, besides being a bit of blindside, the knee from Eakin was starting to come out a bit. Thankfully MT was close enough to Eakin by that point that there was going to be body on body contact anyways and the knee wasn’t a factor, but the intent of what Eakin was trying to do was clear.
browna is online now   Reply With Quote