Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-26-2015, 08:38 PM   #1
Jets4Life
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:
Default Compromised Facebook Account: How to recover pictures and info

Recently my friends cell was stolen, and the person using it posted status updates, and deleted many pictures my friend considered invaluable. She is quite upset, and looking to recover the pictures that the individual deleted. There was no virus or malware, she just did not log off her account, and the thief erased much content.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Jets4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 08:42 PM   #2
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

I don't have anything helpful to offer; I am just curious why somebody would store pictures that are invaluable on Facebook? Not only could something like this happen, but the pictures are compressed a tonne.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ken0042 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-26-2015, 08:45 PM   #3
Jets4Life
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
I don't have anything helpful to offer; I am just curious why somebody would store pictures that are invaluable on Facebook? Not only could something like this happen, but the pictures are compressed a tonne.
Memories with friends, family, etc. I guess. Many ppl just store pics on facebook, and lose the backup as time passes.
Jets4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 09:06 PM   #4
To Be Quite Honest
Franchise Player

Exp:

Talk to FB. The pictures will never leave the cloud.
To Be Quite Honest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 12:05 PM   #5
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
I don't have anything helpful to offer; I am just curious why somebody would store pictures that are invaluable on Facebook?.
It's amazing how many people do this, actually.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DownhillGoat For This Useful Post:
Old 11-27-2015, 12:37 PM   #6
JonDuke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Get her to go into "Settings".
Top left tab is "General Account Settings"
At the bottom of the options for that tab, under "temperature" is "Download a Copy of your Facebook Data"

Honestly not sure it it'll work to revive deleted pictures as well, but it's worth a shot.
JonDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 02:36 PM   #7
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

As much as it pains me, Facebook really is the easiest way to share pictures with friends and family who fall under the Luddite category. It wouldn't surprise me that so many people also use FB to store their photos.
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 02:39 PM   #8
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sr. Mints View Post
As much as it pains me, Facebook really is the easiest way to share pictures with friends and family who fall under the Luddite category. It wouldn't surprise me that so many people also use FB to store their photos.
Great place to share, yes. Store? Not so much. If you have the know how to post pictures on FB, you should also be able to easily store the original picture somewhere safe too.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 02:51 PM   #9
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoinAllTheWay View Post
Great place to share, yes. Store? Not so much. If you have the know how to post pictures on FB, you should also be able to easily store the original picture somewhere safe too.

You're preaching to the choir, man. I keep backups and redundant backups in a separate location, and that's on top of third party cloud storage.

But that's a bit of work at the best of times even with a well-established workflow. It's probably quite daunting for someone who only pulls out their $89 camera at Easter, Christmas, and their annual vacation to an all-inclusive resort. For many of those people, I doubt they're all that concerned with compression or having proper backups.
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 03:43 PM   #10
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sr. Mints View Post
You're preaching to the choir, man. I keep backups and redundant backups in a separate location, and that's on top of third party cloud storage.

But that's a bit of work at the best of times even with a well-established workflow. It's probably quite daunting for someone who only pulls out their $89 camera at Easter, Christmas, and their annual vacation to an all-inclusive resort. For many of those people, I doubt they're all that concerned with compression or having proper backups.
Sorry, that wasn't directed at you at all, just people in general. Sorry if it came across that way.

The bolded part is really what I'm getting at. If they can get the pictures off a camera in the first place, they really should be able to put it somewhere safe as well. But you're quite right, many don't for reasons I don't understand. And I'm not the type that puts a ton of value in pictures to begin with.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GoinAllTheWay For This Useful Post:

Tags
facebook