Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-11-2018, 07:21 PM   #101
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by icecube View Post
Just found it in the globe and mail too.

At the preliminary inquiry in 2017, Ms. Jackson testified that Leesa Stanley, Mr. Stanley's wife, said, in the moments after Mr. Boushie was shot, "That is what you get for trespassing." The comment was not raised at trial, but it remains particularly inflammatory to some in Mr. Boushie's family"

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...ticle37921120/
There was a probably a credibility issue with the witness which occurred through the trial.

They changed their stories so many times that the defense won based on what they said. So this could be another bit of BS.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 07:23 PM   #102
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagor View Post
Is this actually true? That it was an all white dury?

I ask because all I could find was this where there were an initial pool of 750 people summoned as potential jurors.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskat...shie-1.4504633

Obviously probably much lower than that number would probably have attended and according to the article Lawyers can only use a peremptory challenge up to a maximum of 12 times.

Begs the question how would you finish up with an all white jury with a maximum of twelve challenges?
That's the question isn't it. I think the media and the family are trying to make this more insidious then it is.

Old 02-11-2018, 07:24 PM   #103
opendoor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
It would be different again if it was drunk red necks driving around a first nations community with a loaded gun and trying to steal stuff.

The trick is to not subscribe hero/victim us/them status to people based on group identities. That's what the courts try to do. And it's what the rest of us should be trying to do also.
It's not identities, it's internal vs external. Canadians can see even less overt and institutional racism in the US plain as day, but are mostly blind to similar examples in Canada.
opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 07:42 PM   #104
meritmat
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendoor View Post
It's not identities, it's internal vs external. Canadians can see even less overt and institutional racism in the US plain as day, but are mostly blind to similar examples in Canada.

I also really blame the Liberal media (CBC) in this, its all about the white farmer shooting a Native.....nothing about a truck full of Natives driving around drunk, trying to commit theft. What would have happened if they ran into somebody and killed them?
meritmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 07:46 PM   #105
meritmat
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

This kinda reminds me a little of the Trayvon martin shooting in the US.
Old 02-11-2018, 08:12 PM   #106
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by meritmat View Post
This kinda reminds me a little of the Trayvon martin shooting in the US.
Not really.

Thee two stories are completely different.
combustiblefuel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to combustiblefuel For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2018, 08:28 PM   #107
meritmat
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by combustiblefuel View Post
Not really.

Thee two stories are completely different.

I was thinking how Obama got involved
Old 02-11-2018, 08:46 PM   #108
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

To me the big deal here isn’t whether the farmer got jail time. His life is gonna be real ####tty with it without jail time. He may have deserved some time in jail but the verdict doesn’t seem like a major miscarriage of justice. His crime didn’t seem malicious. It was a heat of the moment action when he was outnumbered by drunk criminals. That being said it does sound like his reaction was excessive.

However I don’t like how this is being framed as a case of racial prejudice motivating the farmers actions. If the RCMP, the jury, the courts etc aren’t fair for the native kid, that’s a tragedy, but it isn’t the farmers fault. Even if he should have done time, he shouldn’t be the focus of the hatred spewing in the media and online for going free. That’s what makes an already tragic situation worse. Framing this as a racist farmer who got away with murder because of a crooked justice system only adds fuel to the fire when we should be looking to improve the situation, not inflame it.

Edit: just to add here, in my earlier post in this thread I said there was no doubt who was at fault. I think that needs clarification because it may seem as though I’m implying the native guy deserved it. I meant more that the native guy wasn’t just an innocent victim. It doesn’t absolve the farmer if he committed a crime but I was under the impression from the news and social media that the farmer murdered and innocent native kid. Not that he shot a criminal who was robbing him. It doesn’t make the farmer innocent but it does change the way I look at the situation.

Last edited by Cecil Terwilliger; 02-11-2018 at 09:00 PM.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 08:53 PM   #109
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

^^ Unfortuantely that’s not the world we live in anymore. What actually happened doesn’t matter just what the end result and who “gets justice”. Was what the farmer did excessive? Sure. But none of this happens if those 5 people weren’t breaking the law to begin with.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2018, 09:30 PM   #110
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

It seems to me that the focus of the media and even our Prime Minister isn't about the application of justice, but the application of vengeance.

Why did the jury find him not guilty? Was it the interpretation of reasonable doubt? If it was, then the court functioned exactly the way that it should have. Or is there now an expectation that having a jury made up of people that would look at the death of Bushie and be able to ignore reasonable doubt in the pursuit of vengence?

The Crown is fully free to appeal, and there is no doubt that there will be pressure put on the prosecutor by the Justice Minister and even by the words of native leaders and our Prime Minister. But what is the likely hood of a fair trial on appeal now? I'd say that its very small.

I get the anger over Bushie's death, and I also think that people understand that this wasn't about what Bushie was doing at the time that was on trial, but the action of a farmer, with un-reliable witnesses that changed their story. With the RCMP experts not being able to prove what happened beyond a reasonable doubt the right verdict was reached here, and an appeal unless there's a solid reason besides, we couldn't load the jury with people that could convict with reasonable doubt shouldn't happen.

We can't appeal just to appeal, we can't appeal just to placate the Prime Minister, the Justice Minister or the family of Bushie and the Native leadership.

Old 02-11-2018, 09:38 PM   #111
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
We can't appeal just to appeal, we can't appeal just to placate the Prime Minister, the Justice Minister or the family of Bushie and the Native leadership.
They're not. They're appealing to emotion, now.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 09:49 PM   #112
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendoor View Post
And some Canadians desperately want Canada to engage in a culture war around race so they can play a role in an emotionally-satisfying narrative - the role of righteous saviors.
CliffFletcher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 11:39 PM   #113
station
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

The overall lack of compassion and empathy in this thread toward both the deceased and the First Nations community is stunning to me.

An emotional response to a tragedy and an arguably unjust verdict is identity politics and culture war? Are you guys seriously this callous?

While the actual verdict may have come down to reasonable doubt over Stanley’s story and inconsistent witness testimony, this whole incident is frought with racial undertones and to deny this is to be blind or willfully ignorant.

I think one can look at the evidence presented and logically understand how the jury reached its decision, while also understanding the sadness, disappointment, and anger felt by the victim’s family and the community at large.
station is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to station For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2018, 12:05 AM   #114
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by station View Post
The overall lack of compassion and empathy in this thread toward both the deceased and the First Nations community is stunning to me.

An emotional response to a tragedy and an arguably unjust verdict is identity politics and culture war? Are you guys seriously this callous?

While the actual verdict may have come down to reasonable doubt over Stanley’s story and inconsistent witness testimony, this whole incident is frought with racial undertones and to deny this is to be blind or willfully ignorant.

I think one can look at the evidence presented and logically understand how the jury reached its decision, while also understanding the sadness, disappointment, and anger felt by the victim’s family and the community at large.
They were crimanials in the midsts of committing crimes while doing it drunk with a loaded rifle ( which they had all ready used to try and steal a truck)in the vechile. These are facts. Hard for me to empathize no matter what race they are .

Last edited by combustiblefuel; 02-12-2018 at 01:32 AM.
combustiblefuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 01:35 AM   #115
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

I feel bad that Colten is dead and his family is feeling grief. But he was mid crime spree day drunk terrorizing hard working farmers who were minding their own business. This was entirely preventable.
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 05:12 AM   #116
Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
It seems to me that the focus of the media and even our Prime Minister isn't about the application of justice, but the application of vengeance.

Why did the jury find him not guilty? Was it the interpretation of reasonable doubt? If it was, then the court functioned exactly the way that it should have. Or is there now an expectation that having a jury made up of people that would look at the death of Bushie and be able to ignore reasonable doubt in the pursuit of vengence?

The Crown is fully free to appeal, and there is no doubt that there will be pressure put on the prosecutor by the Justice Minister and even by the words of native leaders and our Prime Minister. But what is the likely hood of a fair trial on appeal now? I'd say that its very small.

I get the anger over Bushie's death, and I also think that people understand that this wasn't about what Bushie was doing at the time that was on trial, but the action of a farmer, with un-reliable witnesses that changed their story. With the RCMP experts not being able to prove what happened beyond a reasonable doubt the right verdict was reached here, and an appeal unless there's a solid reason besides, we couldn't load the jury with people that could convict with reasonable doubt shouldn't happen.

Juries don’t give reasons so we will never know why they acquitted Mr. Stanley. This is one of the frustrating things about a jury trial.

Also, I think it’s important to keep in mind that defence of property does not, generally speaking, legally justify homicide in Canada. So, in that sense, Mr. Bushie’s actions on the night of his death, though no doubt blameworthy in their right, are not really relevant to the question of whether Mr. Stanley committed manslaughter or murder. I suspect this is why the defence was based around an accidental misfire of the rifle. I obviously didn’t hear of the evidence (so my opinion doesn’t mean much) but that story just doesn’t have the ring of truth to it (for me).
Old 02-12-2018, 05:51 AM   #117
David Struch
First Line Centre

Exp:

I keep seeing the word criminals here but was anyone charged with theft?
David Struch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 05:59 AM   #118
David Struch
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default How the justice system let race taint the Stanley verdict

Quote:
the defence used those peremptory challenges to eliminate anyone who looked Indigenous. The defence strategy was transparent, despicable, and it worked: Play the race card for tactical advantage.
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/opin...ick=sf_globefb
David Struch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 06:06 AM   #119
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Struch View Post
Or the the defense was concerned that the race card would be played against them and took no chances. Was the defense pursuing a white racist jury or was it avoiding a native racist jury?

One thing people always miss is that they think the Justice system is about getting justice for the victim of crime. In the trial portion of the system it is not about Justice for the victim. It is about adjudicating the guilt or innocence of the accused and has nothing to do with the victim. This process is tilted in favour of the accused.

I understand that is painful for the victim but like the many sexual assault cases that don't result in a conviction the system is designed to protect the innocent at the expense of letting the guilty free.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 06:22 AM   #120
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Here's a CBC article with a different point of view from before the verdict was released and before they went 100% racist....

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/s...ewan-1.4505592

Quote:
The majority of the Supreme Court in that case found that the jury selection process is constitutionally sound — and "representativeness" doesn't ultimately equate to exactness. Justice Moldaver found that "the right to a representative jury is an entitlement held by the accused that promotes the fairness of his or her trial, in appearance and in reality. It is not a mechanism for repairing the damaged relationship between particular societal groups and our criminal justice system."

Last edited by OMG!WTF!; 02-12-2018 at 06:26 AM.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OMG!WTF! For This Useful Post: