Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-04-2017, 05:35 PM   #1
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:
Default The Official 17/18 UEFA Champion's League and International Club News Thread

Rangers got knocked out of the Europa League by the 4th best club in Luxembourg.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GirlySports For This Useful Post:
Old 07-05-2017, 02:39 AM   #2
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

What a nice way to start a thread..

Meanwhile Linfield play Celtic with UEFA making the smart decision to move the game away from the twelfth of July and Celtic equally as smart to take no tickets for Belfast.

I'll go out on a limb and predict both clubs are fined for sectarian chants, flags and banners.

Bagor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 07:06 AM   #3
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

James to Bayern on a two year loan deal for £9.2 million, with an option to buy at the end for £31 million. In today's market that's a pretty outstanding deal for Bayern.

Last edited by Senator Clay Davis; 07-11-2017 at 07:10 AM.
Senator Clay Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Senator Clay Davis For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2017, 12:11 PM   #4
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thats an amazing deal for Bayern.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 09:52 AM   #5
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wrong Thread.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 07-18-2017, 08:22 AM   #6
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

PSG has apparently met the €220 million release clause for Neymar, and he apparently wants to go. With market relativity in mind, seems like a bargain.
Old 07-21-2017, 07:51 AM   #7
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

It seems that the Neymar to PSG rumour has really picked up steam. Some apparently reliable sources saying it's 95% done to done.

Believe it when I see it though.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 08:37 AM   #8
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'll believe it when I see it. Apart from money, there's zero reason to make that move ... I like Ligue 1 a lot, but there's no denying that it would be quite a step backwards in terms of strength and quality of football. I'd rather expect a Barca superstar to be chomping at the bit when it comes to challenging and beating Real again. At this point in his career, I simply can't envision a superstar like Neymar to just think about money and make that move.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 08:51 AM   #9
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Actually there is a reason, and he's "allegedly" stated it. He wants to be the man, have a real shot to win Ballon D'ors and he's won everything already. He wants to make his mark independent from Messi.

In most other occupations we'd celebrate someone wanting to go face a new challenge and be the go to guy. It's a perfectly valid reason to leave.

Last edited by nik-; 07-21-2017 at 08:55 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 07-21-2017, 08:54 AM   #10
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Same reason Alexis went to Arsenal

/ducks

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 09:08 AM   #11
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
Actually there is a reason, and he's "allegedly" stated it. He wants to be the man, have a real shot to win Ballon D'ors and he's won everything already. He wants to make his mark independent from Messi.

In most other occupations we'd celebrate someone wanting to go face a new challenge and be the go to guy. It's a perfectly valid reason to leave.
Yep, and what would he do in France? score at 1.5x the rate?
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 09:27 AM   #12
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
I'll believe it when I see it. Apart from money, there's zero reason to make that move ... I like Ligue 1 a lot, but there's no denying that it would be quite a step backwards in terms of strength and quality of football. I'd rather expect a Barca superstar to be chomping at the bit when it comes to challenging and beating Real again. At this point in his career, I simply can't envision a superstar like Neymar to just think about money and make that move.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post

This is the primary motivation from what I'm reading, but lets not get overly altruistic here either, being behind Messi at Barca in terms of notoriety, recognition, fame, etc, also means that hes behind Messi in terms of pay as well.

Old 07-22-2017, 09:17 AM   #13
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

If this Neymar thing happens, and I'll admit it appears more and more likely, PSG are going to be in FFP Hell.

Quote:
The ESPN FC source indicated that the biggest remaining question is no longer whether or not Neymar is willing to swap Camp Nou for Parc des Princes but how the capital outfit finance what would be a world-record fee.

PSG's transfer budget at the start of the summer was €220m, all within the framework of UEFA's financial fair play (FFP) rules.

According to the source, a number of methods to complete the Neymar deal are being considered, with almost all of them concerning third parties -- notably player and club sponsors Nike. The club know that when they make their move, they must meet the player's release clause.
http://www.espnfc.us/story/3162417/b...germain-source

And they're apparently also still trying to sign Alexis Sanchez who wants something like £300K/week.

They are banking hard on this.

Old 07-22-2017, 09:35 AM   #14
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

to be fair, if they sign both of Neymar and Sanchez (very unlikely, but hey, stranger things have happened I guess), then they'll surely sell at least two of di Maria, Draxler, Lucas, Pastore and Guedes and recoup quite a bit of money. Krychowiak and Aurier are also going to be sold ... maybe Matuidi too.
Old 07-22-2017, 01:09 PM   #15
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
to be fair, if they sign both of Neymar and Sanchez (very unlikely, but hey, stranger things have happened I guess), then they'll surely sell at least two of di Maria, Draxler, Lucas, Pastore and Guedes and recoup quite a bit of money. Krychowiak and Aurier are also going to be sold ... maybe Matuidi too.
I dont know how unlikely it is. Initially I'd have been with you and thought it was insane, but the madness seems to be coalescing into reality.

Their owners get money by nearly literally turning the taps on, the cash isnt the problem its the FFP, and on top of that they dont care about the Transfer Fees and they're splashing insane wages into the deal.

It worked for City, PSG is just kicking it up a notch....or ten.

Old 07-22-2017, 07:37 PM   #16
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Didn't FFP die a couple years ago?
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 04:53 AM   #17
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam_wmh View Post
Didn't FFP die a couple years ago?
not completely. The rules have been mitigated to an extent that it doesn't effect the big clubs (unless they go absolute bananas, like PSG wants to), but it's still there. Some Italian clubs still struggle with it ... Inter Milan for instance had to raise around 30m through player sales until July 1st to be compliant. RB Leipzig is another club that could potentially be effected at some point.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-23-2017, 11:05 AM   #18
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
not completely. The rules have been mitigated to an extent that it doesn't effect the big clubs (unless they go absolute bananas, like PSG wants to), but it's still there. Some Italian clubs still struggle with it ... Inter Milan for instance had to raise around 30m through player sales until July 1st to be compliant. RB Leipzig is another club that could potentially be effected at some point.
Thats a pretty accurate depiction.

Plus big clubs, like PSG (and City) just fudge their books by having loosely affiliated companies strike outrageous sponsorship deals to artificially pump up their revenues.

I vaguely recall that City got Emirates or someone like them to pay more for a sponsorship deal than any club in the world and voila! Now the books balance! Its a miracle.

I dont doubt RB Leipzig will be up to something similar when the time comes.

Old 07-23-2017, 05:21 PM   #19
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

probably the worst penalty shootout you'll ever see.

https://streamable.com/7095r
Old 07-23-2017, 05:30 PM   #20
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
probably the worst penalty shootout you'll ever see.

https://streamable.com/7095r
Well I mean the game started with this, so it's not like it deserved to go anywhere graceful.

https://twitter.com/BigSportGB/statu...29723397758976
The Following User Says Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post: