Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-21-2018, 01:27 PM   #261
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I'm pretty much cold turkey, I do have a vap on standby with low nicotine.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 08:41 AM   #262
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've had sleep problems my entire life, so I feel for everyone in this thread. But what has worked for me for the past year and a half is to wear a sleep mask. It's completely revolutionised how I sleep. I used to be that guy who would take forever to fall asleep, then wake up at 3am and lie there until my alarm went off. Ever since I got a sleep mask, those nights are few and far in between. It forces my eyes to stay shut, so when I wake up at 3am, I no longer open my eyes to check the clock. Little increases in light used to trigger me awake. Not anymore.

Might not work for everyone, but it's been a god send for me.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 09:28 AM   #263
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

I struggled for 2.5 years with crippling insomnia and was on sleep pills for most of that (Zoplicone) that helped me sleep but affected my mood in other ways.
My strategy right now is
- Melatonin strip (NOT a pill - the strip is key) under the tongue 60 minutes before I want to go to bed
- When you take this you MUST turn off all lights
- I have a pair of blue light removing glasses that I then put on to watch TV.

Getting those glasses has been the most meaningful thing I've changed to get me back sorted out. It is still a struggle and I have issues but I come out of them faster now.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 06-22-2018, 09:30 AM   #264
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingwhale View Post
I've had sleep problems my entire life, so I feel for everyone in this thread. But what has worked for me for the past year and a half is to wear a sleep mask. It's completely revolutionised how I sleep. I used to be that guy who would take forever to fall asleep, then wake up at 3am and lie there until my alarm went off. Ever since I got a sleep mask, those nights are few and far in between. It forces my eyes to stay shut, so when I wake up at 3am, I no longer open my eyes to check the clock. Little increases in light used to trigger me awake. Not anymore.

Might not work for everyone, but it's been a god send for me.

I've found that sleep mask + ear plugs is an effective combo, though I just use ear plugs or throw an extra pillow over my head now.
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 11:55 AM   #265
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
I struggled for 2.5 years with crippling insomnia and was on sleep pills for most of that (Zoplicone) that helped me sleep but affected my mood in other ways.
My strategy right now is
- Melatonin strip (NOT a pill - the strip is key) under the tongue 60 minutes before I want to go to bed
- When you take this you MUST turn off all lights
- I have a pair of blue light removing glasses that I then put on to watch TV.

Getting those glasses has been the most meaningful thing I've changed to get me back sorted out. It is still a struggle and I have issues but I come out of them faster now.
What's so different about the strip? I use the pill and it works fine for me. I do the same as you, an hour before bed and by the time that hour is up, I hit the pillow and I'm out.
Old 10-25-2018, 01:11 PM   #266
Nyah
First Line Centre

Exp:

Bumping this because cannabis is now legalized and accessible. My insomnia is such that I'll be able to fall asleep no problem, but I almost always waking up around 1-2:00 am without being able to get back to sleep. This has been happening every night for the past four or five months.

So a couple weeks ago, I tried CBD oil (I just put it in my tea) before bed, and this has helped me a LOT. Most nights I'm sleeping without waking up and if I do wake up, I can fall asleep easily. So maybe something to try for those who have never thought about it before. I don't find that I get any feeling of being high from it either. Does anyone else have any cannabis tips when it comes to sleep?
Nyah is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nyah For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2018, 01:51 PM   #267
8sPOT
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyah View Post
Bumping this because cannabis is now legalized and accessible. My insomnia is such that I'll be able to fall asleep no problem, but I almost always waking up around 1-2:00 am without being able to get back to sleep. This has been happening every night for the past four or five months.

So a couple weeks ago, I tried CBD oil (I just put it in my tea) before bed, and this has helped me a LOT. Most nights I'm sleeping without waking up and if I do wake up, I can fall asleep easily. So maybe something to try for those who have never thought about it before. I don't find that I get any feeling of being high from it either. Does anyone else have any cannabis tips when it comes to sleep?
For me personally, an Indica strain is very helpful for 'rest'. Where as a Sativa is more of an uplifting, cerebral experience. I dont know much about CBD oil yet, though I do use a CBD oil roller type thing for my bad shoulder and I dont know how but it really does help with overall joint stiffness and mobility.

Just came to this thread as my son woke me at 3:30am with a crazy nosebleed, and then afterwards I was awake right through until time to get up. Even that was enough to completely throw my rhythm off today, I feel for you folks that have insomnia consistently.
8sPOT is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 8sPOT For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2018, 02:15 PM   #268
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyah View Post

You'll want an Indica strain. As mentioned, Indica is the relaxing/bedtime strain. Sativa is the energetic party strain.

I've had the same issues as yourself, and I have found what helps alongside some herbal remedies is a sleep mask. I wear it tight to my face so that my eyes aren't able to open easily. A habit of mine is that when I wake up I want to open my eyes and look at the clock. It's almost always around 3am. But with a tight mask on my face, it forces eyes to stay closed, get back to sleep quicker and stay asleep.

I used to be the kind of person when even after smoking some Indica I would still wake up and lie in bed awake. Falling asleep was no issue. But staying asleep and getting rest was tough. Now that I use a mask, I'm almost guaranteed 7.5 hours of good sleep everyday.

I haven't tried the CBD method yet. My one buddy kind of bummed me out about it when he said it's all the effects of weed without the pleasure of the high. But after reading more into it, I realized not everyone wants the high and they just want the benefit of the side effects which can actually be quite useful (being able to eat more, sleep, etc).
The Following User Says Thank You to Huntingwhale For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2018, 03:18 PM   #269
Tron_fdc
In Your MCP

Exp:

Ugh. I wish eating wasn't a side effect of weed. I'm getting better, but man alive if I see a bag of sour gummies I won't stop until my tongue is bleeding.

I keep a MOM indica vape beside my bed. If I wake up before 4AM I go downstairs for a wander, hit that, grab a glass of water and pass back out. After 4AM I usually fall back asleep without the MJ, but if I don't it's not that big of deal seeing as I'm in bed by 930 every night and 7 hours sleep is totally fine.

/old
Tron_fdc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tron_fdc For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2018, 03:21 PM   #270
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Where can you get the blue-light glasses? Drug store perhaps?
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2022, 10:03 AM   #271
mile
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hi,

I started a 1-year Software Engineering Masters program at the University of Calgary at the start of September. Ever since school has started, I've been dealing with anxiety and insomnia, both from personal issues and school.

I've always considered myself an anxious person, but have never felt it physically manifest the way it has with the constant sinking feeling in the chest and feeling my heart beating, especially in the middle of the night and early mornings. The worst stretch was three weeks ago when I did not sleep for over 55+ hours - tried twice calling 811 for advice which didn't help. It seemed like every deep breath I took would make the feeling in my chest bigger. Every time I wanted to lie down and shut my eyes, a part of my body would twitch, almost like it didn't want to sleep. For a good 12 hours, my mind was dead set on quitting school, even though I knew I wasn't sure if that was a solution.

Later, I saw the family doctor and he prescribed me Ativan for a month, to be taken only when needed. I am trying my best to practice better sleep habits by going to bed and getting up earlier, keeping my phone out of my room, practicing various breathing and meditation methods, and doing cardio exercise so I can avoid using the Ativan. But my brain/body still cannot shut down at night despite yawning and I have used an Ativan almost every night as it is the only way I can sleep right now and have enough energy for school. This past weekend, I have tried to use a small amount of melatonin (~0.5mg) instead of Ativan but barely slept on Friday night and couldn't sleep last night until I took another Ativan, which only gives me 3-6 hours of sleep.

I feel like I am running out of options. The counselling resources at the University are not what it was when I finished my undergraduate degree 5 years ago as they now only provide single-session counselling which is almost-always fully booked. I attended a session a week ago, with the psychologist suggesting I see my family doctor who could refer me to a Behavioural Health Consultant (BHC) who could provide counselling for multiple sessions. When I asked my family doctor about this, he said my insurance would not cover seeing a BHC and that the only thing he could do was refer me to a psychiatrist and said it may not be very helpful since they will only assess you and prescribe more medication. I shared my concerns about being dependent on this medication but he said that sometimes medication is the only way to treat these issues. Before school started, I did not experience any of these issues - whenever I previously felt down, I was always able to overcome it. It's hard to believe medication is the only solution right now.

I've never been a drug or alcohol user in my life, but I am very concerned that I will become dependent on this medication. I applied to see someone at the Calgary Counselling Centre almost a month ago but had no response. Before the weekend, I applied to see a counsellor with the Empower Me program provided by the Grad Students' Association. I am hopeful that the multiple counselling sessions they provide over video will help, but it's hard to believe all my issues will be solved from this.

It's been very hard to focus on school and have found it hard to enjoy the things I usually enjoy lately. If anyone had any bits of support or advice they could share, it'd be greatly appreciated.
mile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2022, 11:21 AM   #272
flamesfever
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mile View Post
Hi,

I started a 1-year Software Engineering Masters program at the University of Calgary at the start of September. Ever since school has started, I've been dealing with anxiety and insomnia, both from personal issues and school.

I've always considered myself an anxious person, but have never felt it physically manifest the way it has with the constant sinking feeling in the chest and feeling my heart beating, especially in the middle of the night and early mornings. The worst stretch was three weeks ago when I did not sleep for over 55+ hours - tried twice calling 811 for advice which didn't help. It seemed like every deep breath I took would make the feeling in my chest bigger. Every time I wanted to lie down and shut my eyes, a part of my body would twitch, almost like it didn't want to sleep. For a good 12 hours, my mind was dead set on quitting school, even though I knew I wasn't sure if that was a solution.

Later, I saw the family doctor and he prescribed me Ativan for a month, to be taken only when needed. I am trying my best to practice better sleep habits by going to bed and getting up earlier, keeping my phone out of my room, practicing various breathing and meditation methods, and doing cardio exercise so I can avoid using the Ativan. But my brain/body still cannot shut down at night despite yawning and I have used an Ativan almost every night as it is the only way I can sleep right now and have enough energy for school. This past weekend, I have tried to use a small amount of melatonin (~0.5mg) instead of Ativan but barely slept on Friday night and couldn't sleep last night until I took another Ativan, which only gives me 3-6 hours of sleep.

I feel like I am running out of options. The counselling resources at the University are not what it was when I finished my undergraduate degree 5 years ago as they now only provide single-session counselling which is almost-always fully booked. I attended a session a week ago, with the psychologist suggesting I see my family doctor who could refer me to a Behavioural Health Consultant (BHC) who could provide counselling for multiple sessions. When I asked my family doctor about this, he said my insurance would not cover seeing a BHC and that the only thing he could do was refer me to a psychiatrist and said it may not be very helpful since they will only assess you and prescribe more medication. I shared my concerns about being dependent on this medication but he said that sometimes medication is the only way to treat these issues. Before school started, I did not experience any of these issues - whenever I previously felt down, I was always able to overcome it. It's hard to believe medication is the only solution right now.

I've never been a drug or alcohol user in my life, but I am very concerned that I will become dependent on this medication. I applied to see someone at the Calgary Counselling Centre almost a month ago but had no response. Before the weekend, I applied to see a counsellor with the Empower Me program provided by the Grad Students' Association. I am hopeful that the multiple counselling sessions they provide over video will help, but it's hard to believe all my issues will be solved from this.

It's been very hard to focus on school and have found it hard to enjoy the things I usually enjoy lately. If anyone had any bits of support or advice they could share, it'd be greatly appreciated.
Sorry you are going through all that. I'm no expert, but the things that come to mind, which may help, are:

1. Get more exercise, even by just walking more.

2. Study Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) and see if it applies to some of your thinking.

3. Write down all the things that are bothering you, and then set a plan to do something about the things you can do something about, and try to forget the things that are beyond your control.

4. Limit your exposure to all the bad news these days e.g. the war, falling stock markets, accelerating food prices, rising interest rates, etc.

5. The Fall of the year is often a bad time for many people, as the light from the sun is gradually diminishing. You may be suffering from a condition called Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) and if this is the case, light therapy my help.
flamesfever is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to flamesfever For This Useful Post:
Old 10-30-2022, 12:13 PM   #273
showtime
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mile View Post
Hi,

I have had a very similar experience to yours. I have been on and off Ativan and have used other sleeping aids like Ambien and Zopiclone. They definitely have to be short-term because you end up needing them every night.

What did work for me, as mentioned by other posters, was CBT-I. It's essentially sleep deprivation therapy, but it worked wonders. Inconjution with the CBT-I, staying off the phone at night and getting out of bed if I wasn't falling asleep seemed to help. I also journaled on days of low anxiety by writing what I did during the day and what I planned on doing the next day. During high anxiety days, I wrote what I was feeling and what the worst-case scenario would be and what the best-case scenario; this seemed to help keep my mind more relaxed when in bed. These are all methods they taught me during sleep therapy sessions.

I would definitely talk to your doctor and see if you can get into a sleep study. Those sessions really helped.
showtime is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to showtime For This Useful Post:
Old 10-30-2022, 12:24 PM   #274
D as in David
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I highly recommend Huberman Lab Podcast in general and here is his podcast on sleep. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2aW...CLju2KnD5oyZMQ

One of the commenters made this cheat sheet of the podcast's highlights.

Light
- Sunlight in first 30-60 minutes of waking
- Look at or near the sun as close as it doesn’t hurt
- If it’s sunny this could be 5 minutes. If overcast 10. If heavy cloud 30.
- Need to be outside ideally, not through a window
- If no light available, selfie ring lights are a decent substitute
- It’s a cumulative effect, so if you don’t get enough one day make up for it the next day.
- Aim for at least 80% of days
- Sunlight in eyes when setting.
- This helps signal to your body that it’s the end of the day.
- Also protects somewhat against the negative effects of artificial light before bed.
- When sun is down
- Do not use bright artificial lights of any colour
- Put lights as low to ground as possible
- Use as little light as possible (moon or candle light best if possible)

Exercise
- In the first hour after waking increases body temperature helping you wake up and set good sleep cycle
- Later in the day will make you fall asleep later.

Shower
- To increase you core body temperature in the first hour of waking have 1-3 minute cold shower.
- A warm shower or bath for less than 20 minutes will help cool core body temperature.
- Can be used post exercise late in the day to try to negate negative effects of late exercise on sleep.

Drugs
-Caffeine
- At least 90-120 minutes after waking. This avoid the afternoon crash.
- Then no caffeine 8-10 hours before sleep.
- Alcohol and THC
- Negatively affect sleep quality even if it feels like you get to sleep easier.

Temperature
- Cool sleep environment about 3 degrees cooler than rest of the environment.
- If you have a cool sleeping environment you can sleep under a blanket and your extremities will naturally stick out of covers and regular your temperature avoiding wake-ups.
- Can be used especially post late evening exercise to help negate negative effects on sleep.

Catch up sleep
- NSDR deep rest technique.
- Nap at most 90 minutes and not close to bed time
- Do not sleep in past normal waking time more than 1 hour even if very minimal sleep
- Strictly do not have caffeine first 90 minutes after waking, this will disrupt future catch up sleep.

Having to do things at night like feed baby
- Use dim red light if needed.
- Do not have caffeine , view bright lights or exercise during your normal sleep times

Other
- Be a nose breather.
- You can train more airflow through your nose by doing cardiovascular exercise with your mouth closed.
- Elevate the feet of your mattress 3-5 degrees to promote venous return. Not in pregnancy or vascular issues.

Last edited by KootenayFlamesFan; 11-02-2022 at 11:40 AM. Reason: taping your mouth shut doesn't seem like a great idea.
D as in David is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to D as in David For This Useful Post:
Old 10-30-2022, 01:17 PM   #275
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Get professional expert help from these folks:
https://centreforsleep.com/

They saved my life.

They will diagnose you, provide therapy and prescribe the right medication safely. And they will teach you about sleep hygiene and how to safely use things like Melatonin. Don't expect your family doctor can help with this. They aren't equipped. Get help from the expert professionals

PM me if you want to know more. Happy to share my experience.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 10-30-2022, 04:06 PM   #276
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by D as in David View Post
I highly recommend Huberman Lab Podcast in general and here is his podcast on sleep. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2aW...CLju2KnD5oyZMQ

Light
- It’s a cumulative effect, so if you don’t get enough one day make up for it the next day.
- Also protects somewhat against the negative effects of artificial light before bed.
- When sun is down

Exercise
- In the first hour after waking increases body temperature helping you wake up and set good sleep cycle

Shower
- To increase you core body temperature in the first hour of waking have 1-3 minute cold shower.
- A warm shower or bath for less than 20 minutes will help cool core body temperature.
- Can be used post exercise late in the day to try to negate negative effects of late exercise on sleep.

Drugs
-Caffeine
- Alcohol and THC
- Negatively affect sleep quality even if it feels like you get to sleep easier.

Temperature
- If you have a cool sleeping environment you can sleep under a blanket and your extremities will naturally stick out of covers and regular your temperature avoiding wake-ups.
- Can be used especially post late evening exercise to help negate negative effects on sleep.

Catch up sleep
- Do not sleep in past normal waking time more than 1 hour even if very minimal sleep
- Strictly do not have caffeine first 90 minutes after waking, this will disrupt future catch up sleep.

- Do not have caffeine , view bright lights or exercise during your normal sleep times

Other
- Be a nose breather.
- If needed, tape your mouth shut while you sleep (if you don’t have severe sleep apnoea
- You can train more airflow through your nose by doing cardiovascular exercise with your mouth closed. Again, tape up your mouth if needed.
- Elevate the feet of your mattress 3-5 degrees to promote venous return. Not in pregnancy or vascular issues.

Thanks... this is good stuff. I have some family members/friends to share this with.
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RichieRich For This Useful Post:
Old 10-30-2022, 05:37 PM   #277
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

A specific thing but these really helped me:
https://www.amazon.ca/Blue-Blocking-...%2C146&sr=8-14

I like to watch TV to wind down so I slip these on and it helps a ton.
Old 10-30-2022, 08:14 PM   #278
ben voyonsdonc
Franchise Player

Exp:

Please don’t tape your mouth shut. It’s potentially dangerous: https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2022/10/26/h...ess/index.html

I’d recommend considering an anti-anxiety/anti-depressant like Trazodone. It is a longer term solution than zopiclone or Benadryl. If you don’t already, maybe try some white noise which can help block out noises that could keep you from falling asleep.

As a fellow insomniac, I very much sympathize with you and hope you find a solution.
ben voyonsdonc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ben voyonsdonc For This Useful Post:
Old 10-30-2022, 09:32 PM   #279
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben voyonsdonc View Post
Please don’t tape your mouth shut. It’s potentially dangerous: https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2022/10/26/h...ess/index.html

I’d recommend considering an anti-anxiety/anti-depressant like Trazodone. It is a longer term solution than zopiclone or Benadryl. If you don’t already, maybe try some white noise which can help block out noises that could keep you from falling asleep.

As a fellow insomniac, I very much sympathize with you and hope you find a solution.
Taping your mouth shut might be the stupidest thing I have ever read on Calgary Puck. My goodness what an illogical suggestion to re-train your sleep-breath relationship.

The fact you said "please" is incredibly measured.

Do not, ever, tape your mouth shut unless it's a controllable kink.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yamer For This Useful Post:
Old 10-30-2022, 09:47 PM   #280
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by D as in David View Post

Light
- When sun is down

Exercise

Shower

Drugs
-Caffeine
- Alcohol and THC

Temperature

Catch up sleep

Other
- Be a nose breather.
- If needed, tape your mouth shut while you sleep (if you don’t have severe sleep apnoea
- You can train more airflow through your nose by doing cardiovascular exercise with your mouth closed. Again, tape up your mouth if needed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieRich View Post
Thanks... this is good stuff. I have some family members/friends to share this with.
The majority of this is entire bunkum. It is most assuredly not good stuff.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote