Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-21-2019, 07:05 PM   #981
MRCboicgy
Referee

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Dont buy anything from Canadian Tire.

Two things: Windshield Wipers and small appliances. I think I've had my popcorn maker since 2007 (and I use it more than my bbq).
Old 05-21-2019, 08:18 PM   #982
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRCboicgy View Post
Two things: Windshield Wipers and small appliances. I think I've had my popcorn maker since 2007 (and I use it more than my bbq).

Magic Bullet. Best thing we bought from CT. Also some Thules roof rack accessories.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 09:34 PM   #983
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
Bite your tongue. My Coleman Evolution small spaces BBQ kicks ass. The heat spreaders are perfectly spaced to bridge them with a box filled with some damp smoker chips.

Did a ribeye and ahi tuna for the wife last night with mesquite wood and it was brilliant.
Same here with the Colman BBQ. Got a $500 (for $350) SS Coleman from Can Tire about 4 years ago. Works awesome. And we BBQ at least 2 or 3 times a week in the spring, summer and Fall.
Samonadreau is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Samonadreau For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2019, 08:07 AM   #984
fliguy
Draft Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
They have stuff that may be good "for the price", but in general everything in there is fairly low quality chinese-made stuff that you can't expect to last. Like with anything, these days if you want to buy something of quality that will last, you have to go to a specialty store.

Oh and since we're all broadcasting our luxuries, I bought a $900 Canadian-made Napoleon BBQ last year with a great infrared side burner. So far so good.
Can you tell me what model you purchased? I was looking at the Napoleon last year as well, and looking into it, all the models of Napoleon grills at CT were made in China. I believe only the Prestige and Prestige Pro lines are made in Canada. I would love the infrared burner, but don't want to pay for the Prestige line or have a made in China grill.
fliguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 06:24 PM   #985
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Picking up my Green Mountain Grill Daniel Boone tomorrow morning from Kerrisdale Lumber, cannot wait.

If there are any Vancouverites in this thread they gave me a really good deal, listed price of $855 on the website they sold it to me in the store for $700. They also had a good sized Primo Kamado there for $600 original price $1049.00.
flames_fan_down_under is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 11:40 AM   #986
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anybody had luck with their wooden grill scrapers? I have had my for a couple of years now, but the grooves still haven’t worn down enough to get right between the grills. Should I assist this with file or press down harder?
Old 05-25-2019, 11:46 AM   #987
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flames_fan_down_under View Post
Picking up my Green Mountain Grill Daniel Boone tomorrow morning from Kerrisdale Lumber, cannot wait.

If there are any Vancouverites in this thread they gave me a really good deal, listed price of $855 on the website they sold it to me in the store for $700. They also had a good sized Primo Kamado there for $600 original price $1049.00.
I’ve been looking st the same smoker and want. But it’s priced at almost $1300 here with the accessories I want so I been humming and hawing.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 05:30 PM   #988
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Anybody had luck with their wooden grill scrapers? I have had my for a couple of years now, but the grooves still haven’t worn down enough to get right between the grills. Should I assist this with file or press down harder?
Mine began wearing grooves almost immediately. It scrapes the top very well, much better than the wire brush. But I still need the wire brush to get between the grills.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 06:27 PM   #989
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Yeah, I gave up on my wood scraper. I have a wire one again, but it's more like a super tightly wound spring instead of bristles. Works well.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 08:09 PM   #990
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was using the edge to scrape out between the grills, but it seems like the grooves should have been deeper by now. I was hoping maybe there was some technique to speeding it up. I wouldn’t go back to bristle though. I had a bristle fall onto the balcony floor and managed to embed itself in my foot. Not pleasant.
Old 05-25-2019, 08:45 PM   #991
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

No, bristles scare me, too. It's this one I have:

Grill Brush Scraper Bristle Free-Safe Barbecue Grill Brush-Grill Cleaning Brush and Scraper Unique 2 in 1 Design- 17'' Stainless Steel BBQ Accessories Cleaner All Grill Grates BBQ Grill https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07GV95MMW/..._y2F6Cb0R76JVN
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2019, 03:56 PM   #992
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

You can also buy a bristle brush that has coconut fibres as the bristles. Not as good as the wire, but no danger either. I couldn’t get the grooves useful with the wood scraper.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 04:05 PM   #993
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

It took about 20-30 uses before the grooves on my wood paddle got long enough to clean the whole top side of the grill. I cheated a bit, though. I did my regular cold scrape, and then another hot scrape after the grill heated up. Now the thing is perfect, and will remain like that until it's down to the nub, with no worry about the kid or anyone swallowing a bristle. Worth it, IMO. Those bristle brushes are all made in China and lose one or two almost every time you use it.
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 08:16 PM   #994
bc-chris
Franchise Player

Exp:

i'm not huge on 'sauces' on top of steak, but i had a craving for steak with a peppercorn sauce. i found this recipe online and it's unreal - soooooooooo good!!!

Peppercorn Sauce
· knob of butter
· 2 large shallots, finely chopped
· 6 medium mushrooms, sliced
· 2 tsp green and pink peppercorn, crushed
· 3 tbsp brandy
· ½ cup red wine
· 1 cup good-quality beef stock
· 3 tbsp double cream

1. Add the knob of butter to the pan, then fry the shallots, mushrooms and peppercorns over a medium heat for 5 mins, until the shallots have softened and the mushrooms browned.
2. Heat the brandy in a metal ladle, light with a match then carefully pour into the hot pan, standing as far back as you can.
3. Pour the wine into the pan, turn up the heat and boil rapidly until reduced by half. This will take about 5 mins.
4. Add the stock and reduce again, this time by two-thirds.
5. Stir the cream in to the sauce and allow it to thicken slightly.
6. Spoon the sauce over steaks
Old 06-11-2019, 08:05 AM   #995
Royle9
First Line Centre

Exp:

Anyone know if Pitboss smoker's are half decent?

I can get a real good deal on a 700 series, reviews seem to say its pretty good but hard to trust random internet comments that could be paid advertisements.
Royle9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 09:53 AM   #996
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Dont buy anything from Canadian Tire.
Canadian Tire, believe it or not, is a great place to buy actual tires. It's not just a clever name. They have some descent tires for great prices. I'm not talking high performance stuff.

Also, coolers, camping chairs, and hot dog sticks...basically anything you need for car camping.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 05:29 PM   #997
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

I bit the bullet and went with the Genesis E-310 from Barbecues Galore.
Old 06-23-2019, 10:43 PM   #998
Aleks
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royle9 View Post
Anyone know if Pitboss smoker's are half decent?

I can get a real good deal on a 700 series, reviews seem to say its pretty good but hard to trust random internet comments that could be paid advertisements.

My Kamado is pitboss, and its really good.

That said, thats a pellet grill you're looking at, and I'm quite biased when it comes to them. If you're not going into Yoder territory for price, I would recommend something else......

Louisiana @costco: great PID controller, small hopper but nice build

Camp Chef: INDISPENSABLE hopper dump chute, and firebox trapdoor. Not having to take apart the smoker to vacuum out ash or scoop pellets is just too good. I own one of these, the new ones have a better controller like the Louisiana

Rec-Tec: great controller, quite a common upgrade for every other grill. Great build quality, harder to find and get

EDIT: Forgot to add GMG! Great grills with great service! And reasonably priced

Cost is no option? Go with a Yoder, the steel is insanely thick, meaning much better temp control.

At ALL costs avoid Traeger. Dodgy build, bad controllers, not worth what they charge.

Last edited by Aleks; 06-25-2019 at 11:36 PM.
Aleks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aleks For This Useful Post:
Old 06-25-2019, 09:14 AM   #999
Royle9
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleks View Post
My Kamado is pitboss, and its really good.

That said, thats a pellet grill you're looking at, and I'm quite biased when it comes to them. If you're not going into Yoder territory for price, I would recommend something else......

Louisiana @costco: great PID controller, small hopper but nice build

Camp Chef: INDISPENSABLE hopper dump chute, and firebox trapdoor. Not having to take apart the smoker to vacuum out ash or scoop pellets is just too good. I own one of these, the new ones have a better controller like the Louisiana

Rec-Tec: great controller, quite a common upgrade for every other grill. Great build quality, harder to find and get

Cost is no option? Go with a Yoder, the steel is insanely thick, meaning much better temp control.

At ALL costs avoid Traeger. Dodgy build, bad controllers, not worth what they charge.
I ended up pulling the trigger, deal was just to good.

I've used it 3 times so far; Ribs, Pork Loin and last night did a Beef Tenderloin and I've got to say everything has turned out awesome.

I agree, having to remove the grills to sweep out and vacuum the ash is annoying but saving over $300+ dollars makes up for the inconvenience. I've had no issues with any temperature control so far, its a lot easier to do than I thought it would be.

Never thought I'd enjoy a smoker as much as I have thus far, I cant wait to try out all sorts of other meats/cuts. I think my next protein to tackle is a nice big brisket.
Royle9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 09:46 PM   #1000
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

What's everyone's best method for cooking fall off the bone ribs? I've tried a bunch of different ways and I can never get that fall off the bone, perfectly juicy cook to them.

I'm not picky on pork vs beef, I have a sauce that I love to put on towards the very end of the cook and I have a good bbq setup (a 4 burner propane bbq and a traegar smoker).

Teach me your ways!
PaperBagger'14 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bbq , beer , grilling , meat , napoleon , steak , weber