Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-28-2023, 01:33 PM   #2001
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

I may wait until it's come down in price a bit, though it's selling well so that may be a long time. I'm still not done TotK (let alone 100%) and I still have GoW:Ragnarok to play.. plus I just abandoned Everspace2 when TotK came out (though I was kinda done as it was getting repetitive anyway).

Plus I have to admit watching videos on the end game with aspects and paragon and all the different things to collect and manage to make a good character.. not afraid to admit it looks a little too complex to be fun.
Old 06-28-2023, 01:50 PM   #2002
Kybosh
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I've never been that min/max stat person in games so I don't really care about making the "best character possible". That being said, Diablo 4 is a great game for parents with small kids. Easy to jump in and out and feel like you accomplished something with the tiny gaming session that you were able to have.
Kybosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2023, 02:20 PM   #2003
photon

Exp:

I guess it's a question of how much min-maxing is needed to have a viable character at higher levels. Kinda seems like you have to do quite a bit to even just survive.
Old 06-28-2023, 07:40 PM   #2004
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
I guess it's a question of how much min-maxing is needed to have a viable character at higher levels. Kinda seems like you have to do quite a bit to even just survive.
Nope. My main class is a sorcerer, which is widely considered to be the weakest endgame class, and I didn't bother looking at any full class guides until after lvl 80. I did look briefly at a leveling guide when I was in the 'teens because I was a fire sorc and getting my ass kicked, found some lighting skills that were way better, then just built from that on my own as I went. Had no trouble in WT3 and WT4, the only time I hit a wall is on high level nightmare dungeons
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2023, 09:46 PM   #2005
photon

Exp:

Ok I'm convinced. I mean even if all I did was play through the main story with all the classes that's still worth it.

Purchased, downloaded, and now am getting this lol, *sigh*

EDIT: Eventually it worked after trying it a bunch more times.
Old 06-28-2023, 11:52 PM   #2006
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

That license thing is just a login issue during authentication I guess, and pops up when they're having server problems.
ComixZone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2023, 09:14 AM   #2007
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

As expected, the FTC has lost its case to get a Preliminary Injunction for the MS/ABK merger. The companies can now legally close the acquisition in the US. This decision will be appealed and go back to the court room, but this is a huge hurdle that has now been cleared.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1678783492044234753

Last edited by Since1984; 07-11-2023 at 10:45 AM.
Since1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2023, 05:38 PM   #2008
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

As expected, the FTC has filed it's appeal to the PI rejection.
Old 07-12-2023, 06:53 PM   #2009
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

The judge has a son that works at Microsoft? Strange, wouldn't you normally recluse yourself from that obvious conflict of interest?
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2023, 12:52 AM   #2010
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
The judge has a son that works at Microsoft? Strange, wouldn't you normally recluse yourself from that obvious conflict of interest?
This was made known by the judge in a pre-hearing conference, he works outside of the gaming division and doesn't stand to gain or lose anything by the outcome of the case. If the FTC had an issue knowing this before the hearing took place, they could have asked for a recusal yet they did not.

Here a great tweet about why it is a non-issue:
https://twitter.com/user/status/1673347633748799496

Another thing that points to this being a non issue is in the filed decision that denied the PI, it states that it was the FTC that wanted her handle the case while Microsoft wanted it to litigate in D.C. To put it another way, the FTC preferred to litigate where they lost Meta-Within (in San Francisco where the cases have not much of an overlap with Microsoft-ABK) over where they lost AT&T-Time Warner in D.C.

D.C. is the only district/circuit with any vertical merger case law in recent history. Which is why Microsoft preferred the case to be heard there.

Last edited by Since1984; 07-13-2023 at 01:08 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Since1984 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2023, 10:21 AM   #2011
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Interesting, you'd think by default you would avoid cases where your family works for a defendant or plaintiff as a normal baseline to avoid even the tiniest appearance of impropriety.

As a shareholder of the so called "Magnificent Seven" stocks, I guess I'd be biased to see how little the FTC can do against these companies. Riding to the moon!
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2023, 01:18 PM   #2012
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

That's a non-issue. This ruling was predicted from day one. They could throw any competent judge in there and the results would be the same as the FTC's case was flimsy from the very beginning.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2023, 08:45 PM   #2013
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

The FTC's appeal to the rejection of a preliminary injunction has been denied by the ninth circuit. Microsoft and ABK will be able to close the merger this weekend.
Old 08-08-2023, 10:31 AM   #2014
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Something to keep your eye on for anyone using wired controllers or accessories with the PS5's back USB-A port:

https://www.cnet.com/tech/gaming/ps5...void-disaster/

Quote:
PS5 systems are melting USB ports during extended gameplay sessions, according to a report from Kotaku on Monday.

The issue was noticed this past weekend at Evolution in Las Vegas, the world's largest fighting games tournament. Players from around the world descended on the Mandalay Bay Convention Center to compete in games like Street Fighter 6, Guilty Gear Strive and Tekken 7, among others.

Because the PS5 only has one USB-A port up front, many players plugged their fighting game controllers into one of the available ports in the back. Considering these systems were on for hours at a time with competitors filtering through, PS5s were likely heating up throughout the day. And because the PS5 exhausts heat from the back of the system, temperatures may have gotten hot enough to melt the plastic inside USB ports.
Old 08-08-2023, 11:24 AM   #2015
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

I suspect what's happening is that, during normal operation, the heat being blown out by the fan also happens to find its way out through the USB port because these things are still built to a price and so the fan's exhaust duct isn't sealed all that well. By leaving something plugged into that port during a long gaming session, the heat can't escape and it melts the innards of the cable/port.

But that's odd, because wouldn't that port also be where you'd plug in an external hard drive? Do owners with external hard drives plugged in have this same problem?
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2023, 12:01 PM   #2016
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

I’ve had the USB cable for the controller plugged in there since day one and it’s fine.

I don’t imagine the stress test of an all day/three day gaming tournament is going to be one many people mimic at home.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2023, 01:26 PM   #2017
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
I suspect what's happening is that, during normal operation, the heat being blown out by the fan also happens to find its way out through the USB port because these things are still built to a price and so the fan's exhaust duct isn't sealed all that well. By leaving something plugged into that port during a long gaming session, the heat can't escape and it melts the innards of the cable/port.

But that's odd, because wouldn't that port also be where you'd plug in an external hard drive? Do owners with external hard drives plugged in have this same problem?
I suspect this is what happened to my Legion laptop. It has ports in the back (selling feature for me as I don't like laptops with things sticking out the sides) but it's also between the exhausts. One of the USB ports died.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2023, 09:11 AM   #2018
1_Flames_Fan
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

So Baldur's Gate for PS5 is digital only eh? I'm not sure how I feel about that. I haven't fully embraced the digital era yet as far as games and have still been buying physical copies. Honestly though with all the patches and updates that come out most of the games that come out now are digital anyways. What do you guys think?
1_Flames_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2023, 09:13 AM   #2019
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Haven't bought a physical game in a long time. Non issue for me.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2023, 09:30 AM   #2020
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1_Flames_Fan View Post
So Baldur's Gate for PS5 is digital only eh? I'm not sure how I feel about that. I haven't fully embraced the digital era yet as far as games and have still been buying physical copies. Honestly though with all the patches and updates that come out most of the games that come out now are digital anyways. What do you guys think?
I only buy physical when I am unsure of a game and it's replayability. That way I can recoup some of the cash I put in if I only playthrough once or don't like it.