Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-27-2013, 04:23 PM   #1
Guest1

Default Wheel of Time/memory of light question(possible spoiler?)

I'm reading "A Memory of Light" and because it's been such a long time between books, I've forgotten.

What is the deal with Logain and Taim? I can't remember the back stories to them... I know they can both channel, but that's all I remember. Who's the bad guy? And what's going on with all the guys that can channel? I thought the taint was cleared.

Last edited by Puxlut; 03-27-2013 at 05:02 PM.
Old 03-27-2013, 04:48 PM   #2
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

OMG Spoiler Alert!

I am only on book 47 of the Wheel of Time series, and I think that happens in book 84 or 85.
Old 03-27-2013, 05:40 PM   #3
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Rand created the black tower for all the men who could channel to train them. He appointed Taim to head it and teach the men. The taint is cleansed, so the men aren't getting any more mad.

Then Rand didn't have a lot to do with the black tower other than taking some of the men around with him, but basically left it to itself. There's a lot of innuendo in the previous books that there's something not right going on at the black tower. Lots of hints that Taim isn't behind Rand (Lews Therin basically tries to kill Taim all the time, trying to grasp the power away or before Rand).

Logain was a false dragon who was caught and gentled by the white tower, but then was healed by Nynaeve (so he could channel again). He escaped I think and ended up (with Rand's consent/protection) at the black tower as well as one of the men there.
Old 03-27-2013, 05:48 PM   #4
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
The taint is cleansed
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 06:39 PM   #5
Guest1

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
Rand created the black tower for all the men who could channel to train them. He appointed Taim to head it and teach the men. The taint is cleansed, so the men aren't getting any more mad.

Then Rand didn't have a lot to do with the black tower other than taking some of the men around with him, but basically left it to itself. There's a lot of innuendo in the previous books that there's something not right going on at the black tower. Lots of hints that Taim isn't behind Rand (Lews Therin basically tries to kill Taim all the time, trying to grasp the power away or before Rand).

Logain was a false dragon who was caught and gentled by the white tower, but then was healed by Nynaeve (so he could channel again). He escaped I think and ended up (with Rand's consent/protection) at the black tower as well as one of the men there.
So are Taim and Logain themselves? Or were they someone else in another life? Or are they one of the Forsaken?
The Forsaken are another thing that has me confused... They are always dying and then coming back to life with new names.... Who is dead and who is a reincarnation?
Old 03-27-2013, 06:57 PM   #6
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puxlut View Post
So are Taim and Logain themselves? Or were they someone else in another life? Or are they one of the Forsaken?
I can't really answer the question without spoiling the new book, I think I gave enough info to bring you up to the beginning of MoL.

Quote:
The Forsaken are another thing that has me confused... They are always dying and then coming back to life with new names.... Who is dead and who is a reincarnation?
That one I can't do off the top of my head, but yeah their souls do seem to get recycled a lot.

I don't think you need to be completely up to date with which forsaken's soul is in which body to understand MoL, it's pretty good at being explicit about that kind of thing.
Old 03-28-2013, 02:35 PM   #7
JerzeeGirl
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
If you're interested in more details there's an entire WOT wiki available with loads of answers - the page for the Forsaken is here: http://wot.wikia.com/wiki/Forsaken

I won't post more info, you can choose how much of a look you want to have. Have fun!
JerzeeGirl is offline   Reply With Quote