Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-25-2021, 08:13 PM   #141
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

I heard it was part of an expansion and conversion to a 7-11 as part of the re-branding.
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 08:18 PM   #142
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
1. I wasn't out at bars or clubs in that era so I had no idea so I thought it would be cool to do the virtual drive-by

2. I wish that the google car was around prior to that as there are a ton of stores and restaurants that are gone that I can't remember anymore and I wish there were just photos of everything. - For instance, I can't remember what restaurants or stores were at the Penny Lane Mall prior to it being demoed for building 8th avenue place. I recall being inside as a child a long time ago.
The Dim Sum place was Kites. There was a really nice bookstore there for a while too - Pages I think?

There was a Barber there too across from Kites. Generally unremarkable, but he had Playboys by the chairs to wait in. 10 yr old me knew what they were
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to I-Hate-Hulse For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2021, 08:39 PM   #143
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Hate-Hulse View Post
The Dim Sum place was Kites. There was a really nice bookstore there for a while too - Pages I think?

There was a Barber there too across from Kites. Generally unremarkable, but he had Playboys by the chairs to wait in. 10 yr old me knew what they were
Only went to Kites once or twice but I remember them having some crazy flower tea.

Never went to the barber
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 10:10 AM   #144
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Spoiler!

I absolutely love how tall this Intergulf tower is getting in the west Beltline. Not a huge fan of some of the cladding choices, but this tower is now a distinct landmark. All in all this one is turning out better than I initially expected.
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 11:40 AM   #145
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

I wish we had a ton more mid-rise. It seems like all of the low setback areas are towers and podiums. I love a cozy street surrounded by mid-rise that still gets a bit of sun.
Bill Bumface is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bill Bumface For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2021, 02:44 PM   #146
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

Looks like the Wurst building has already been bought by Hayden Block and Comery Block and will be a brewery & BBQ.

https://eatnorth.com/dan-clapson/new...er-wurst-space
New Calgary brewpub to open in former Wurst space
Quote:
Earlier this afternoon, it was announced that the building has been taken over by new owners and would be transformed into a new restaurant and brewery concept.

At the hands of the folks behind Calgary's popular barbecue eateries Hayden Block and Comery Block, the gigantic two-level space will soon undergo extensive renovations to become part brewery and part–you guessed it–barbecue-themed restaurant. There's hardly any details surrounding this thus far, but one can assume this new establishment will be akin to a Hayden Block on steroids.

Love Hayden Block so it should be good!
Looch City is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Looch City For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2021, 05:51 PM   #147
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

ATB is closing 5 branches in Calgary.

https://globalnews.ca/news/7722183/a...erta-branches/
DownInFlames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 07:49 PM   #148
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Bumface View Post
I wish we had a ton more mid-rise. It seems like all of the low setback areas are towers and podiums. I love a cozy street surrounded by mid-rise that still gets a bit of sun.
I agree with that sentiment. Would you buy a midrise condo at a high rise price though? Thats probably what it takes to get them built.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 07:53 PM   #149
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Speaking of towers. I watched the tower crane get installed with my son at Remington's apartment project next to Dalhousie Station this week. Two towers, 13 and 15 stories, 451 units. Purpose built rentals.
Old 03-26-2021, 08:11 PM   #150
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post

Not surprising, most other banks have shut down a lot of branches as well as the trend has moved toward online banking.

The banks should be happy, this just means more money saved for their fat bottom lines.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 08:27 PM   #151
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post

If you can close 5 branches and only 13 people lose their jobs, that's good for ATB. The lease alone on each of those buildings was likely more than 1 or 2 person's salary.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 10:22 PM   #152
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
If you can close 5 branches and only 13 people lose their jobs, that's good for ATB. The lease alone on each of those buildings was likely more than 1 or 2 person's salary.
But aren't pretty much all job loss proclamations complete and utter bull**** when companies downsize? I mean that one specifically seems completely absurd.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 11:39 PM   #153
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
But aren't pretty much all job loss proclamations complete and utter bull**** when companies downsize? I mean that one specifically seems completely absurd.
Yeah. 39 redeployment and 13 layoffs implies 52 staff for 10 branches. I dont bank with ATB so I've never been in their branches, but every other bank I've ever been in has way more people than that. 5 staff seems really low for a branch.
Old 04-19-2021, 09:35 AM   #154
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Some new Eau Claire proposals for the Green Line station from the city show the homes and daycare at Eau Claire removed - eminent domain?

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...park-1.5992355
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2021, 09:38 AM   #155
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not really a fan of that layout from a cycling perspective. There's no easy/continuous path from one end to the other, so it's going to be a ####show of pedestrians and cyclists mixing it up and getting pissed off at each other.

Just like bikes and cars need to be separated, so do bikes and people. Mixing things that are going at different speeds should be avoided.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2021, 09:41 AM   #156
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Those suck on many levels.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2021, 09:47 AM   #157
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
Not really a fan of that layout from a cycling perspective. There's no easy/continuous path from one end to the other, so it's going to be a ####show of pedestrians and cyclists mixing it up and getting pissed off at each other.

Just like bikes and cars need to be separated, so do bikes and people. Mixing things that are going at different speeds should be avoided.
I would think it should be easy enough to put the bike path under the bridge. It may require a tunnel depending on what the footing is like on the bank.
calgarygeologist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 09:48 AM   #158
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

They look okay to me but my opinion on this one is quite uninformed.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 09:54 AM   #159
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
I would think it should be easy enough to put the bike path under the bridge. It may require a tunnel depending on what the footing is like on the bank.
It still totally ignores traffic flow. You have a lot of merging paths, including access to the bridge. This looks like zero thought was put into how all the different modes interact, in what will be probably the busiest area of the city. Sharp hairpin turns with bad sight lines are not really what they should be doing. Big F.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 10:01 AM   #160
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is what I see as basic needs for bikes. Keep them out of the chaos, add a bypass to the south. No need for a bridge under the LRT bridge. I see why they want to avoid doing that. The only alternative is a bridge further north onto Princes Island, then back off, but that's not great.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post: