Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-16-2021, 06:34 AM   #101
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Hate-Hulse View Post
Saw this in the news about the Northland Walmart:

I thought this bit of news would be worth sticking in this thread as that Walmart is pretty much the old Woolco with some lipstick on it. Next to the North Hill Sears (now a Showroom Furniture) it's a good time machine back to the 80's.....

No timeline given for this conversion though. Probably contingent on the Deerfoot City wannabe redevelopment plans for that area happening.
One of two stores in Canada? Aren't there a few Walmart Supercenters in Calgary already? I have to imagine major renovations are required as that's an old store.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 09:28 AM   #102
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
One of two stores in Canada? Aren't there a few Walmart Supercenters in Calgary already? I have to imagine major renovations are required as that's an old store.
One of two stores to be converted
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 09:41 AM   #103
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
Did the McDonalds ever re-open since Covid? I can't believe that inside McD has been the exact same since 1993. I should go revisit my childhood Woolco one last time.
It is wonderfully quaint - the McD's is exactly where the cafeteria was in a Woolco - buried at the back of the store, in the middle. Not by the entrance. It's pretty small and cramped. Wish they had crinkle cut fries and gravy.

Of course, it never made any sense whatsoever as the other end of the mall has always had a free standing McDonalds....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I suspect they'd be better of nuking that site as part of any razing of the mall. It's tied into the mall in such a way that it'd probably just easier to rebuild it from scratch as part of a major redevelopment. Kind of like Deerfoot City - they just built on an unused part of the site and demo'ed the mall itself.

I don't shop at WalMart a lot, but once in a while I do, and recognize there are many people that do want/need to shop there, so as part of a inclusive demographic - you need places like a Walmart.

That Northland location services pretty much everyone north of 16th and south of Country Hills (between Sarcee and 10th St) so it services a good swath of the inner city. I also have an irrational dislike of the Bow Trail Walmart (probably related to ease of access) and will goto the Northland location 1st.
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 09:54 AM   #104
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Hate-Hulse View Post
It is wonderfully quaint - the McD's is exactly where the cafeteria was in a Woolco - buried at the back of the store, in the middle. Not by the entrance. It's pretty small and cramped. Wish they had crinkle cut fries and gravy.

Of course, it never made any sense whatsoever as the other end of the mall has always had a free standing McDonalds...
I've only ever ordered once from that in-Walmart McDonalds at Northland when they had some special promotion but that location did probably serve a purpose as the standalone McDonald's is probably the slowest store in the city. I don't go very often and when I do I try to go to any other McDonald's because I've previously had 15 to 20 minute wait times for food there. Maybe things have improved since the renovation but their previous performance was enough to keep me away for good.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 10:48 AM   #105
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

There was an entire Northland Mall demolish and redevelopment plan approved by city council from 5 years ago but I haven't heard a peep since:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...ncil-1.3479838
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 12:06 PM   #106
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
There was an entire Northland Mall demolish and redevelopment plan approved by city council from 5 years ago but I haven't heard a peep since:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...ncil-1.3479838
It's still alive.

Land Use Amendment Request as of June 2020

Updated Concept Plan

Based on that, just seems they'll extend the current Walmart northward while breaking up the mall for phase 1.

Last edited by Joborule; 03-16-2021 at 12:09 PM.
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 07:57 PM   #107
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

That whole strip mall in Deer Ridge needs to be redone. I think it actually used to be a mall as well. I know all of that was there first but I am guessing those stores (especially the walmart) got hit hard once Deerfoot Meadows was developed
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 08:18 PM   #108
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joborule View Post
It's still alive.

Land Use Amendment Request as of June 2020

Updated Concept Plan

Based on that, just seems they'll extend the current Walmart northward while breaking up the mall for phase 1.
I still remember when the North End had all these Eatons arches
Old 03-16-2021, 08:47 PM   #109
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary14 View Post
That whole strip mall in Deer Ridge needs to be redone. I think it actually used to be a mall as well. I know all of that was there first but I am guessing those stores (especially the walmart) got hit hard once Deerfoot Meadows was developed
Yeah, that was literally just renovated from a walk in mall to a front facing strip mall a few years ago. Not a chance a community mall is redeveloped twice in ten years.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 10:35 PM   #110
calf
broke the first rule

Exp:

Quote:
I still remember when the North End had all these Eatons arches

That gave me a flood of memories of going to Eaton's with my parents to pick up ugly, scratchy sweaters for school photos.

Also remember going there in the store's final days and all that was around and for sale was the display racks.
calf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 10:48 PM   #111
Reaper
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary14 View Post
The Wal Mart didn't arrive until after Deerfoot Meadows was established; it moved into the space formerly occupied by Zellers.
Old 03-16-2021, 11:51 PM   #112
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calf View Post
That gave me a flood of memories of going to Eaton's with my parents to pick up ugly, scratchy sweaters for school photos.

Also remember going there in the store's final days and all that was around and for sale was the display racks.
Oh yeah I think Eatons was still there when we were in Simon Fraser. I don't remember if it was still there by the time we had moved to Churchill. It must have been since their bankruptcy was 1999.
Old 03-16-2021, 11:52 PM   #113
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper View Post
The Wal Mart didn't arrive until after Deerfoot Meadows was established; it moved into the space formerly occupied by Zellers.
I didn't find out about this mall until last year. That Zellers wasn't turned into a Target?
Old 03-17-2021, 12:08 PM   #114
craigwd
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
I didn't find out about this mall until last year. That Zellers wasn't turned into a Target?

Yes it was a Target before all of them shut down, then Walmart moved in.
craigwd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 09:46 PM   #115
sleepingmoose
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigwd View Post
Yes it was a Target before all of them shut down, then Walmart moved in.
Actually, I don't believe Deer Valley became a Target - it went straight from Zellers to Walmart.
sleepingmoose is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sleepingmoose For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2021, 10:19 AM   #116
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calf View Post

The Future Shop in the middle of the mall was great.
Old 03-18-2021, 11:44 AM   #117
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have a lot of memories of Northland Mall. I worked out at the Gold’s gym there from 03-09 and also worked at both the Best Buy and Future Shop that used to be in that Mall in 2006. Haven’t been for years and years.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 11:47 AM   #118
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Makarov View Post
The Future Shop in the middle of the mall was great.
I went to Churchill in the late 90s, and going to Future Shop and HMV to check out computer games/CD's over lunch was an almost daily occurrence.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 03:28 PM   #119
craigwd
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepingmoose View Post
Actually, I don't believe Deer Valley became a Target - it went straight from Zellers to Walmart.

Hmmm. Perhaps I'm misremembering.
I used to live down the street and my parents are still there. I could have sworn I shopped there for a while as a Target.

Then stopped going because I refuse to step foot in Walmarts.

But my brain has been failing me more often as I grow older!
craigwd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 03:43 PM   #120
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Comery Block is going into the old Wurst location...

https://www.instagram.com/p/CM2djQdhVPJ/

shermanator is offline   Reply With Quote