Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-24-2018, 09:23 AM   #1
Bingo
Owner

Exp:
Default The year the Blues skipped the draft

https://sports.yahoo.com/pht-time-ma...185808715.html

Didn't know this tidbit ...

Quote:
Finally, in May, the NHL officially voted 15-3 against the sale and relocation of the Blues to Saskatoon (St. Louis, Montreal, and Calgary were the only three teams to vote in favor it) which sent the entire situation into chaos.
Edmonton voted against? Vancouver? Quebec?

Quote:
As part of ownerships anger with the NHL over the rejected sale of the team, Ralston Purina informed the league the Blues would be boycotting the draft and sent zero representation to Montreal for the event.

Their draft table was empty and the team made zero selections, forfeiting all of them.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 09:50 AM   #2
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Maybe the Oilers didn’t want a Sask team eating into their eastern fan base? Looking back this decision was probably for the best as I can’t imagine a Saskatoon team surviving in the 90’s and St. Louis is a pretty strong US market.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2018, 09:53 AM   #3
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not having a pick in the first two rounds maybe made their boycott a little more symbolic than otherwise.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 09:54 AM   #4
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

At the time there was no chance of long term support for that team.

We do well with a smaller number of home games, for instance the Rush and Riders. And both teams have shown that Saskatchewan residents will travel for a game. I think the stat was something like 40% of tickets are from residents outside of Saskatoon and Regina (this counts Saskatoon residents for Rider games and Regina residents for Rush games).

However, having attended a few of these games I can say that the kind of culture that has manifested itself with both teams would keep me and my family, especially young children, away from any type of NHL games as well.

Add on to that, if Cities like Calgary, Edmonton and Winnipeg have trouble attracting players, Saskatoon has no chance. I love my city, it is a beautifil city and we do well for tourism, but I understand when you are comparing it to places like New York, Los Angeles, even Vancouver, there really isn't a hope unless you want to consistently over pay. Which puts the club at a disadvantage from the start.

Very interesting read though.
Old 07-24-2018, 09:55 AM   #5
Iggy_12
Scoring Winger

Exp:

The Oilers should boycott the draft not like they do anything past first overall
Iggy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 09:59 AM   #6
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

The article mentions 18 teams a few times, wasn't there 21 teams in the early 80s?
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 10:08 AM   #7
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

TIL a dogfood company used to own an NHL team.

Spoiler!

Lots of gems in there. I didn't realize Hasek was drafted so long ago. I feel like there were a lot of forks in the road in his early career that probably could have lead to him never becoming what he did. I suppose Cujo and Fuhr were not slouches, so that theoretical timeline wouldn't have been much different

Last edited by powderjunkie; 07-24-2018 at 11:37 AM.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 10:25 AM   #8
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

I didn't realize how badly the purina people gutted the franchise.
wow.

"During this time Ralston Purina had completely shut down the Blues’ offices and dismissed almost all of the staff, including team president and general manager Emile Francis"

One day after the draft, the NHL filed a $78 million countersuit against Ralston Purina alleging that they “willfully, wantonly, and maliciously collapsed its hockey operation” in an effort to force the NHL to approve the sale of the team.
Meanwhile, Ralston Purina was planning to sell off players and other assets (including equipment) belonging to the team unless the league accepted their offer to “tender” the team to the league."
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 10:28 AM   #9
Hockey Fan #751
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

When you think about it, it was pretty dumb to just not show up for the draft. They probably could have achieved the same effect of their "protest" if they'd traded all their picks for assets.
Hockey Fan #751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 10:31 AM   #10
Hockey Fan #751
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post

Edmonton voted against? Vancouver? Quebec?
If only 18 teams voted, then 3 teams abstained. Edmonton could have been one of those.

No surprise Montreal voted to move the team to Saskatoon after their owners (Molson) were hurt by the WHA boycotts.
Old 07-24-2018, 10:35 AM   #11
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

I wonder what the relationship was like between Edmonton ownership and Bill Hunter at that time. Hunter was the man behind the Oilers in its WHA days and was the one trying to move the Blues to Saskatoon. Granted the Oilers changed hands a few times after Hunter but that relationship still could have factored into their vote or lack thereof.

Neat story though. I remember being here when this was going on, the "Saskatoon has the Blues" stuff in the media.

If nothing else at least we got an arena out of the deal I guess.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 10:38 AM   #12
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Fan #751 View Post
When you think about it, it was pretty dumb to just not show up for the draft. They probably could have achieved the same effect of their "protest" if they'd traded all their picks for assets.
except it appears by the draft they had already let go of their hockey staff. they likely had nobody that could make picks or trades.

plus it looks like they didn't care about gaining assets as they had already washed their hands of running the team.
Old 07-24-2018, 11:18 AM   #13
Canada 02
Franchise Player

Exp:

In a roundabout way, that situation really helped the Flames.
Purina sold the team to Harry Ornest, who ran the team on a shoestring budget after spending $3M for the team, $5M for the Checkerdome and $12M for building improvements, retro active player salary and operating budget. Over the next few years they traded away assets, including many key pieces to the Flames
Canada 02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 11:30 AM   #14
Hey Connor, It's Mess
First Line Centre

Exp:

The Flames skipped a few drafts too.
Hey Connor, It's Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Hey Connor, It's Mess For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2018, 11:35 AM   #15
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
The article mentions 18 teams a few times, wasn't there 21 teams in the early 80s?
St. Louis probably didn't get a vote, one abstained and just like they still do today they didn't care about Edmonton's opinion.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 12:20 PM   #16
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
St. Louis probably didn't get a vote, one abstained and just like they still do today they didn't care about Edmonton's opinion.
The article specifically states that St. Louis voted in favour. I would be interested to know who abstained.
Old 07-24-2018, 01:31 PM   #17
Hockey Fan #751
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Random View Post
The article specifically states that St. Louis voted in favour. I would be interested to know who abstained.
I wonder if it was Winnipeg, Quebec and Hartford, not wanting to ruffle feathers after all the issues with the WHA and getting voting in there but also not wanting to seem hypocritical, either.

With Edmonton, I can see Pocklington just outright voting no and not caring about the optics.
Old 07-24-2018, 02:19 PM   #18
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Speaking of the Oilers, Bill Hunter was part of the group that tried to relocate the Blues to Saskatoon. Far more in-depth story here: https://www.stlouisgametime.com/2009...lues-the-story

As a side note, Ralston Purina was into all kinds of unexpected things at that time. They had also spun up a video game division in 1983 that released an Atari game based on their commercials.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 02:54 PM   #19
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
Speaking of the Oilers, Bill Hunter was part of the group that tried to relocate the Blues to Saskatoon. Far more in-depth story here: https://www.stlouisgametime.com/2009...lues-the-story

As a side note, Ralston Purina was into all kinds of unexpected things at that time. They had also spun up a video game division in 1983 that released an Atari game based on their commercials.
interesting note in that story.

On January 12, 1983, Ralston told a stunned St. Louis community that it had received a purchase offer to buy the Blues from a Saskatoon based company known as Batoni-Hunter Enterprises, Ltd. Batoni's president, Bill Hunter, was one of the founders of the World Hockey Association in 1972, and an owner of the WHA's Edmonton Oilers before they joined the NHL in 1979. Hunter claimed that after all the necessary approvals had been granted, his group was ready to break ground on a $43 million 18,000-seat arena that could be completed in time for the 1983-84 season.

I don't know if I'd want to risk stepping into an arena that could get approvals and be open in less than 8 months.
although I do know that any claim by Bill Hunter was always taken with a grain of salt.
Old 07-24-2018, 02:56 PM   #20
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

lol. The arena didn't open until February 1988.

Wild Bill was very ambitious.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote