Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 02-17-2016, 09:23 PM   #281
The Fonz
Our Jessica Fletcher

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
This all not considering that Stajan only has one season left on his contract.

The reason why Howard's contract really hurts is that it cripples our chances of re-signing our young core long-term.

Stajan's contract doesn't.

In what league does Howard make the Flames a playoff team?
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fonz View Post
Stajan has 2 more years after this season, while Howard has 3.

I don't believe he does make the Flames a playoff team, but that's missing the point. Ramo does not make us a playoff team, and neither will Reimer (and he's likely to cost 4.5M+). Is there a UFA goaltender that makes us a playoff team? I don't see one, and I don't want to pay the cost to acquire via trade.

What I'm saying is... I don't want to sign an average UFA goaltender this summer to an inflated UFA dollar amount, when I believe we could instead trade for a goaltender who is every bit as capable, and likely dump 1 or more of our undesirable contracts in the process.

Who do you propose we start in goal next season?
Anything to say to this, Ashasx? I'm genuinely curious if there's a better option.
Old 02-17-2016, 09:26 PM   #282
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
That Kypreos tidbit isn't really news. was reported by Friedman back in October

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/s...ng-free-agent/
Well yes it is news, really news.

It might be similar to something reported back in the fall but if Kypreos is reporting the Flames and Sabres were the two closest teams prior to last week then it's worth noting and is 100% news.
Old 02-17-2016, 09:28 PM   #283
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Stammer is making 10+ next year
I agree, that's why it blows my mind that anyone would think getting him for $7 million per would be "Yikes. No good."
Old 02-17-2016, 11:56 PM   #284
MarkGio
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think its obvious that the Flames will be sellers, now that they're 9 points out of a playoff spot. But a few more losses could help them at the deadline by keeping a few bubble teams in the mix and therefore strengthen the seller's market

Vancouver (Feb 19) -- Only 6 points out of a spot
Ottawa (Feb 27) -- Only 6 points out of a spot
The Following User Says Thank You to MarkGio For This Useful Post:
Old 02-18-2016, 12:26 AM   #285
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Well yes it is news, really news.

It might be similar to something reported back in the fall but if Kypreos is reporting the Flames and Sabres were the two closest teams prior to last week then it's worth noting and is 100% news.
He didn't say they were the two closest teams last week. He said prior to the NMC kicking in which kicked in July 1st, 2015. Which Friedman reported as the two teams he heard back last summer in October.

Anyways semantics.

Last edited by sureLoss; 02-18-2016 at 12:29 AM.
Old 02-18-2016, 07:15 AM   #286
memphusk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
I agree, that's why it blows my mind that anyone would think getting him for $7 million per would be "Yikes. No good."
Stamkos is on a Vanek type downswing at a much younger age. That's why it's Yikes, No good.
Old 02-18-2016, 07:54 AM   #287
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Some people are worried about signing Gaudreau to a long term deal and yet some would be ok with signing Stamkos? Makes no sense to me.
Old 02-18-2016, 07:59 AM   #288
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyguy15 View Post
Some people are worried about signing Gaudreau to a long term deal and yet some would be ok with signing Stamkos? Makes no sense to me.
Can you give an example of a poster that is against the Gaudreau deal but pro Stamkos? I would think that those who want to sign Gaudreau to a bridge do not want a long term Stamkos deal either. The people that want to throw a ton of dough at Stamkos probably want Johnny on an 8 year deal
Old 02-18-2016, 08:04 AM   #289
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
Can you give an example of a poster that is against the Gaudreau deal but pro Stamkos? I would think that those who want to sign Gaudreau to a bridge do not want a long term Stamkos deal either. The people that want to throw a ton of dough at Stamkos probably want Johnny on an 8 year deal
I wasn't referencing anyone specific, it's just mind bottling to me that some people would be against locking up Gaudreau long term while some would want to go after Stamkos.

Gaudreau can carry a line on his own, Stamkos can't do it alone.
Old 02-18-2016, 08:15 AM   #290
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyguy15 View Post
I wasn't referencing anyone specific, it's just mind bottling to me that some people would be against locking up Gaudreau long term while some would want to go after Stamkos.

Gaudreau can carry a line on his own, Stamkos can't do it alone.
I am one of those people that want Gaudreau long term abd would take Stamkos in a heartbeat if the dollars made sense. If a team goes $12M per then that is too rich for my blood. The problem with Stamkos is if he goes UFA there will be pressure from the PA to get the richest contract ever handed out IMO. Stamkos quickly rejected $8.5M from Tampa over 8 years so we can safely assume the conversation starts at $10M plus
Old 02-18-2016, 08:18 AM   #291
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't think I would touch Stamkos at all. Between Gaudreau, Monahan, Bennett, Hamilton, Gio and to a lesser extent Brodie you're going to have a lot of money locked up.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hockeyguy15 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-18-2016, 08:20 AM   #292
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by memphusk View Post
Stamkos is on a Vanek type downswing at a much younger age. That's why it's Yikes, No good.
Yeah, I strongly disagree. I guess time will tell.
Old 02-18-2016, 08:27 AM   #293
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fonz View Post
Anything to say to this, Ashasx? I'm genuinely curious if there's a better option.
I think there are many much more viable options.

I'd sooner re-sign Ramo, who has actually been better than Howard over the last two seasons, than take on that contract. That's how far I would go to avoid it, taking another chance on a goalie who just suffered a significant injury.

Howard's contract is just bad news.

Last edited by Ashasx; 02-18-2016 at 08:31 AM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ashasx For This Useful Post:
Old 02-18-2016, 08:38 AM   #294
Demetric
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
I think there are many much more viable options.

I'd sooner re-sign Ramo, who has actually been better than Howard over the last two seasons, than take on that contract. That's how far I would go to avoid it, taking another chance on a goalie who just suffered a significant injury.

Howard's contract is just bad news.
should be able to get a UFA at a cheaper and less years than Howard
Old 02-18-2016, 08:39 AM   #295
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't think Stamkos is going to be garbage or even declining right now but I just don't see him as a fit for the Flames moving forward. Sure, I think it would be great to have him on the team but I'd prefer something elese, a different style of player. Not to say that we don't need someone like Stamkos but we don't need someone like Stamkos at over 8 mil per. If we could get him at a contract under 7 then yes but that's a pipe dream. I don't think this team is ready to add any big contracts this coming summer but the following year they will.
Old 02-18-2016, 08:43 AM   #296
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poe969 View Post
I don't think Stamkos is going to be garbage or even declining right now but I just don't see him as a fit for the Flames moving forward.
You don't think he's declining despite the fact that his point and goal totals have gone down every year for 3 straight years now?
Old 02-18-2016, 08:43 AM   #297
saillias
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

My goalie board for the Flames this off-season:
1. There is no #1 because none of these guys are slam dunks
2. Reimer - decent stats, reasonable age, UFA so no cost to acquire, history with Burke
3. Bishop, would cost stuff to acquire but is a better goalie than anyone on this list.
3. Ramo or one of the other middling UFAs like Raanta, Enroth etc with no cost to acquire.
4. Bernier
5. Find another random goalie from Europe.
6. Go with Poulin/Ortio
7. Jimmy Howard
99997: three kids in a trench coat
99998: Trevor Kidd
99999. Cam Ward

Last edited by saillias; 02-18-2016 at 08:50 AM.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to saillias For This Useful Post:
Old 02-18-2016, 08:48 AM   #298
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Rather sign Cam Ward to a 1-2 year deal than take on Jimmy Howard's contract (unless we get to dump Stajan on the Wings)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-18-2016, 08:51 AM   #299
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by codynw View Post
You don't think he's declining despite the fact that his point and goal totals have gone down every year for 3 straight years now?
I think Stamkos would argue his current coach doesn't utilize him as good as he could be
The Following User Says Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post:
Old 02-18-2016, 08:52 AM   #300
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by codynw View Post
So did Ovenchkin's at one point.
Iginla's goal totals fluctuated throughout his career as well.

It happens to all players that have incredible talent and put up huge numbers in their careers. It's hard for even the best of the best to put up numbers like that every single year.

Another way to look at it is Stamkos on an off year, and despite losing a hall of famer off his line, can still rack up 30+ or 40+ goals.

I'd be more inclined to think he's in trouble if he was a weak skater, or lacked hockey IQ, but that's not the case.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread