Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-29-2019, 04:00 PM   #21
heep223
Could Care Less

Exp:

This is a bit dumb. The flames are 12th in "goals by other forwards", that's pretty decent. I guess if you're nitpicking for an area to improve....

Pretty tough to find any holes in this team. Can't wait for April.
heep223 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to heep223 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2019, 04:00 PM   #22
Bankai
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
Jumping on the bandwagon can create hardcore fans for years to come. I was not much of a NHL fan in 2004 but got hooked during the playoffs and 15 years later I am as hardcore as ever including being a season ticket holder.
Just like you I jumped on hard during that wonderful season. Prior to that I didn't know the difference between a red line and blue line.

Great seasons really bring new people into the sport. I have probably watched 80% of the games this team has played since that run!

Love hockey and love the Flames!
Bankai is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bankai For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2019, 04:06 PM   #23
Redlan
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
Jumping on the bandwagon can create hardcore fans for years to come. I was not much of a NHL fan in 2004 but got hooked during the playoffs and 15 years later I am as hardcore as ever including being a season ticket holder.
I was the opposite to a Bandwagon Fan, more the underdog fan. Growing up when the Oilers started their dynasty and all the Wayne Gretzky hype, I gravitated to their biggest rival, I just could not stand the love-fest. Been a Flames fan ever since.
Redlan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Redlan For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2019, 04:11 PM   #24
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

In the article it quotes Duhatshek as saying that Monahan, Gaudreau and Lindholm could be the top line the Flames ever had. He did qualify it by saying he meant no slight to the Flames top two lines back in 1988/89.

It got me to thinking. How does our current #1 line compare to previous # 1 lines?

2018/19 Gaudreau - Monahan - Lindholm
1988/89 Roberts - Nieuwendyk - Loob
1988/89 Patterson - Gilmour - Mullen
1989/90 Roberts - Nieuwendyk - Makarov
1989/90 Ranheim - Gilmour - Mullen (or was it MacLellan on the left side and Ranheim was with Otto)
2001/02 McAmmond - Conroy - Iginla (meh. Iginla was great the others were good but not in the same hemisphere as a lot of these other players)
2006/07 Tanguay - Langkow - Iginla
2008/09 Cammalleri - Jokinen - Iginla --should have been so much better
2010/11 Tanguay - Jokinen - Iginla -- same as above

There aren't a lot of other lines over the years that can truly compare. Prior to 1988/89 I don't remember much about who played with who. This year's top line truly could be the top offensive juggernaut that Calgary has ever put together.

Last edited by Buff; 01-29-2019 at 04:18 PM.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 04:25 PM   #25
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Without ever seeing the team play I’d say that Roberts - Nieuwednyk - Makarov must have been a force.
Old 01-29-2019, 04:27 PM   #26
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

put some respeck on the names of

cammalleri - stajan - stempniak
or
glencross - monahan - jones

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
bax
Old 01-29-2019, 04:30 PM   #27
the2bears
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anything to sell more license plates.
the2bears is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to the2bears For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2019, 04:38 PM   #28
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach View Post
Without ever seeing the team play I’d say that Roberts - Nieuwednyk - Makarov must have been a force.
They put up a couple of points.

Roberts played hard. Nieuwendyk was very talented and could put up abuse in front of the net too. Makarov was a wizard.

I would say they may have been better with Makarov than Loob, but only because Roberts was a year older and more experienced.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Buff For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2019, 04:42 PM   #29
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don’t think becoming a fan of your city’s team when they become successful at 11 years old is “bandwagonning”.

I’ve always loved hockey and followed the Flames (as much as kid could) but I wouldn’t say I became exclusively a Flames fan until 04 when I was 14.

Bandwagoners are the people who don’t care or even hate on the team when they’re down and all of a sudden act like they’ve been fans the whole time. It’s annoying sure, but it’s also an important part of a whole city going nuts for the team which is always fun.
Old 01-29-2019, 04:45 PM   #30
icarus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Great to see some love from the Failing New York Times!

I like the headline in the print edition: "A version of this article appears in print on Jan. 29, 2019, on Page B9 of the New York edition with the headline: How a Team With One All-Star Has Surged to No. 1 in the West."

It's basically an indictment on the NHL for not including more Flames in the All-Star Game.

Last edited by icarus; 01-29-2019 at 09:02 PM.
icarus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to icarus For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2019, 05:08 PM   #31
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

My real start as a Flames fan was 1994, and my first experience as a Flames fan was watching the Flames choke a 3-1 series lead to the Canucks and Bure torching us in OT lol. Since then, I've been a sucker for punishment cheering on the Flames, as that was really the beginning of the Young Gun days.

This current team is the strongest it's ever been since i've been a Flames fan, but years of disappointment has still got me a little worried down the stretch. I'm really hoping we're witnessing something special and this team finally takes it's turn up on the top echelon of teams for a few years. We Flames fans certainly deserve it IMO.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Yen Man For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2019, 05:08 PM   #32
Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you live in Alberta, it's tough to understand how annoying it is to hear about the Oilers and Leafs whenever hockey comes up... regardless of where they are in the standings. Whenever hockey comes up, I usually check out as I can definitely tell you I've had more conversations about Nuge and Gardiner than I ever have the Flames. Nevermind McDavid, Tavaras, Matthews, etc.

Today, I had a conversation with the postie AND my neighbour and it was glorious. Outside of Iginla, no one around here could tell you the name of a Flame but we actually talked about the emergence of Elias being a big piece to this surge. They love watching it, and it seems that nearly every Red Wing fan here has an eye on a Canadian team in the West to cheer for.

It's fun to be talking about your own team when you talk hockey for once.
Split98 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Split98 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2019, 05:50 PM   #33
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

I remember being a kid listening to Peter Maher call the games and mimicking Vernon’s saves as I imagined him making them. I got to go to the odd game with my dad, but he always wanted to leave before the end to miss the rush. I don’t remember much of those games. I stopped watching the Flames after Gilmour was traded and tried to follow the Leafs, but after the mid 90s I just stopped following hockey all together. It came back to me in 2000 when I got hired as an usher by the Flames, and this site solidified my fandom.
Old 01-29-2019, 06:04 PM   #34
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach View Post

With MacInnis on the back end.

Man those early 90s Flames teams underachieved.
Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Roughneck For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2019, 06:25 PM   #35
Duffalufagus
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by heep223 View Post
This is a bit dumb. The flames are 12th in "goals by other forwards", that's pretty decent. I guess if you're nitpicking for an area to improve....

Pretty tough to find any holes in this team. Can't wait for April.
If they get the goaltending, they can win the cup. If they don’t, they can lose first round. BSD is the key. Make no mistake about that.
Duffalufagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 08:08 PM   #36
Glassplat
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
I just organically became a fan because my household was. I probably actively started cheering for them in 1995. It's no wonder Iggy is my favorite all time; I practically feel like we grew up together.
I grew up in South Central AB and a kid I had a favourite Aunt and Uncle who lived in Edmonton. Once a year they would take me to an Eskimo game so naturally I favoured Edmonton sports Teams over Calgary....(looking back..intended Brain Washing by them for certain😜!

As an adult in the mid 70’s my career took me to Northern BC however by a massive stroke of Luck...I was transferred back to Alberta (Calgary) in the summer of 1980.....however at that time..I was still a Coiler fan!

It didn’t long for those rough and tumble “Corral” games to convert me....to the Flames as a “Lifer”! As the old saying goes....the older you get..the smarter you get....I’m living proof of that.....GO FLAMES GO!!
Glassplat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Glassplat For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2019, 08:43 PM   #37
chockfullofgoodness
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff View Post
In the article it quotes Duhatshek as saying that Monahan, Gaudreau and Lindholm could be the top line the Flames ever had. He did qualify it by saying he meant no slight to the Flames top two lines back in 1988/89.

It got me to thinking. How does our current #1 line compare to previous # 1 lines?

2018/19 Gaudreau - Monahan - Lindholm
1988/89 Roberts - Nieuwendyk - Loob
1988/89 Patterson - Gilmour - Mullen
1989/90 Roberts - Nieuwendyk - Makarov
1989/90 Ranheim - Gilmour - Mullen (or was it MacLellan on the left side and Ranheim was with Otto)
2001/02 McAmmond - Conroy - Iginla (meh. Iginla was great the others were good but not in the same hemisphere as a lot of these other players)
2006/07 Tanguay - Langkow - Iginla
2008/09 Cammalleri - Jokinen - Iginla --should have been so much better
2010/11 Tanguay - Jokinen - Iginla -- same as above

There aren't a lot of other lines over the years that can truly compare. Prior to 1988/89 I don't remember much about who played with who. This year's top line truly could be the top offensive juggernaut that Calgary has ever put together.
I remember Huselius-Langkow-Iginla being pretty lethal in the 08/09 season.
chockfullofgoodness is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to chockfullofgoodness For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2019, 08:58 PM   #38
Jetfire
First Line Centre

Exp:

Good, bring on the bandwagoners, it'll create plenty of permanent fans. I was a 2004 bandwagon jumper when I was in grade 4, didn't particularly care about hockey before then and the magic of Iginla, Kipper and crew battling to the cup finals made me a total hockey nut for good.

Nice to see the New York Times recognize the excellent season the team is having.
Jetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 08:59 PM   #39
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Funny, after work i was listening to prime time sports on the fan here in Toronto. Man what idiocy

I caught it mid conversation we here the entire panel was raving about how Winnipeg would has easily beat the flames in the playoffs, because of the jets forward depth, better d, and the fact one panel member didn't even know who the flames goalie was. The same guy said he liked the jets forward depth so much more, and actually thought Stajan still played for the flames (hence the weak depth).

John Shannon ended the segment complimenting the leafs muzzin pick up, and stating how tj Brodie's ability to play one year one the right and the following on the left is an example of how little it really means on which side a d plays (for anyone questioning muzzins pick up when the leafs biggest need is a rhd).

It was just saturated idiocy and showed how little even Canadian sports media in the east even know about tge rest of the league, let alone another Canadian franchise.

I really hope the leafs are a full out bust again this spring. Love watching these guys weep.
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bubbsy For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2019, 09:53 PM   #40
midniteowl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbsy View Post
Funny, after work i was listening to prime time sports on the fan here in Toronto. Man what idiocy

I caught it mid conversation we here the entire panel was raving about how Winnipeg would has easily beat the flames in the playoffs, because of the jets forward depth, better d, and the fact one panel member didn't even know who the flames goalie was. The same guy said he liked the jets forward depth so much more, and actually thought Stajan still played for the flames (hence the weak depth).

John Shannon ended the segment complimenting the leafs muzzin pick up, and stating how tj Brodie's ability to play one year one the right and the following on the left is an example of how little it really means on which side a d plays (for anyone questioning muzzins pick up when the leafs biggest need is a rhd).

It was just saturated idiocy and showed how little even Canadian sports media in the east even know about tge rest of the league, let alone another Canadian franchise.

I really hope the leafs are a full out bust again this spring. Love watching these guys weep.

I hope they continue to slide to a wild card spot and have to face either Tampa or Boston first round.