Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-07-2019, 09:31 AM   #41
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Lazar's an RFA at the end of this season. I believe that he'd be a UFA after 2019-20 if the Flames re-signed him to a one-year deal and he didn't meet a certain games-played threshold, but I'm not entirely sure about that one.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 09:33 AM   #42
Jiggy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
Because you have better players that you are trying to win games with and indeed if he's a UFA (I can't remember his contract status) you are likely not to re-sign him anyways. It's basically the Wotherspoon situation all over again.
His ceiling right now is that of a 4th line forward or 13th forward. So if he moves on and becomes that elsewhere - meh.
He's not better than someone like Andrew Mangipane who has zero points in the NHL? The Flames spent a 2nd round pick on Lazar. You might as well give him a few games to see if you want to keep that asset. Especially when Mangiapne, Dube, Quine, Lomberg and Lazar all seem interchangeable at this point.

Who knows, maybe Lazar might throw a big hit and get you off your seat.

Last edited by Jiggy; 01-07-2019 at 09:38 AM.
Jiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 09:33 AM   #43
The Fonz
Our Jessica Fletcher

Exp:

He could be traded for a Smith replacement at the deadline, or he could serve as depth for a playoff run with the Flames.

I'm good with either - glad to see he's increased his value over where he was in September.
The Fonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 09:37 AM   #44
The Fonz
Our Jessica Fletcher

Exp:

Also, huge props to Sportsnet for an article/exposure like this prior to the trade deadline.
The Fonz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Fonz For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2019, 09:39 AM   #45
Duffalufagus
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

12 goals in 33 games in the AHL. Maybe he is talking about his intangibles when he says it is "obvious" he is an NHLer.
Duffalufagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 09:43 AM   #46
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am glad he has some confidence and hope the best for him. But the AHL is not where you prove you're an NHL player. It's a good place to learn how to become one.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 09:45 AM   #47
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wouldn't be surprised if Lazar is the next call-up once an injury hits a winger. He should have been called up instead of Dube. Dube should spend the rest of the season developing in the AHL.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 09:46 AM   #48
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

At the very least, its good that he believes in himself.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 09:48 AM   #49
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

“I’m patient but really feel I’m knocking on the door.”

A lot of quotes in that article that make it easy to show why players and coaches think he has a great attitude. A player meeting with a GM and suggesting that he go to the minors to get more ice time and become a better player is quite refreshing and I hope he comes back and contributes consistently.

I'd rather have his attitude on the team, over some 3rd liner bitching about ice time.
CalgaryFan1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 09:53 AM   #50
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

He obviously knows the speed level of each league, and is stating that the speed of the NHL is not a hurdle for him, as it is for 90 percent of callups. He is outplaying the league that he is in, and knows what it takes to succeed in the next level.

Honestly, I like to hear this from a player. You can put up crazy points in the AHL, and come up and flounder, because the intensity is so amped up. It's always a crapshoot with a callup. Lazar is saying that he doesn't have that gap to bridge.

I would think that Czarnik is more of a trade chip than Lazar. You don't think that the Bruins would give up a 2nd after that game he played against them?

If that happens, Lazar is free money, and I think it would be an even draw in terms of Czarniks production.
Old 01-07-2019, 09:57 AM   #51
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd like to see a confident Lazar back on the roster. Is it time yet? No, I don't think so. About a month from now. When he starts getting angry that he isn't up yet. Kind of like holding back the reins until you want that big push to the finish.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 09:57 AM   #52
Karl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
He obviously knows the speed level of each league, and is stating that the speed of the NHL is not a hurdle for him, as it is for 90 percent of callups. He is outplaying the league that he is in, and knows what it takes to succeed in the next level.

Honestly, I like to hear this from a player. You can put up crazy points in the AHL, and come up and flounder, because the intensity is so amped up. It's always a crapshoot with a callup. Lazar is saying that he doesn't have that gap to bridge.

I would think that Czarnik is more of a trade chip than Lazar. You don't think that the Bruins would give up a 2nd after that game he played against them?

If that happens, Lazar is free money, and I think it would be an even draw in terms of Czarniks production.
It's not the intensity gap from the AHL to NHL that he has to bridge, it's the difference in talent level between the leagues that he has to bridge.
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Karl For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2019, 10:00 AM   #53
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Czarnik is this years Lazar. But the hate isn't there for the guy like it was for Lazar.

You're right though, trade Czarnik before Lazar in my opinion as well.
Old 01-07-2019, 10:02 AM   #54
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl View Post
It's not the intensity gap from the AHL to NHL that he has to bridge, it's the difference in talent level between the leagues that he has to bridge.
If the rest of the team looks this good after getting away from Gully, Lazar deserves a look as well. I know you have a great dislike for Lazar but Czarnik, Dube, Rychel, and whoever else has rotated in hasn't done much either.

Only guy that has jumped ahead of the group is Hathaway with his breakout season of excellent PK work. Can't take that away from the special teams group.
Old 01-07-2019, 10:03 AM   #55
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
Czarnik is this years Lazar. But the hate isn't there for the guy like it was for Lazar.

You're right though, trade Czarnik before Lazar in my opinion as well.
I don't remember much hate toward Lazar. just disappointment.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 10:05 AM   #56
sa226
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

No Lazar is not going to break out like Lindholm did, but ive always liked the guy.

To quote Peters, "Players are allowed to improve" And Lazar still remains a high draft pick. He also had a really crappy illness that set him back in his development.

Im sure he's on his last life with the organization, but id like to see him get another chance. He either forces his way back in, or is looking for work.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
sa226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 10:08 AM   #57
Karl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
If the rest of the team looks this good after getting away from Gully, Lazar deserves a look as well. I know you have a great dislike for Lazar but Czarnik, Dube, Rychel, and whoever else has rotated in hasn't done much either.

Only guy that has jumped ahead of the group is Hathaway with his breakout season of excellent PK work. Can't take that away from the special teams group.
I think Quine's a better player than those guys and Lazar, but Czarnik, Dube, Rychel and Lazar, all six of one-and-a-half dozen to the other for me.

I don't think Lazar has the hands and puck skills to look much better on this year's team. It's more than just lack of confidence, it's lack of NHL skill level.
Old 01-07-2019, 10:15 AM   #58
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Brodie, Bennett and Hamonic had all demonstrated, to some degree or another, that they can perform at the NHL level.
Lazar has never done that.
15 points in 67 games and 20 points in 76 games in his first two seasons are bottom 6 NHL numbers. Nothing to get excited about, but serviceable numbers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl View Post
Quine is a better player than Lazar.
I also liked what I saw of Quine, but I have to say "sample size" to that.

Quote:
Because you have better players that you are trying to win games with and indeed if he's a UFA (I can't remember his contract status) you are likely not to re-sign him anyways. It's basically the Wotherspoon situation all over again.
His ceiling right now is that of a 4th line forward or 13th forward. So if he moves on and becomes that elsewhere - meh.
If your concern is winning games now, his future UFA status should be of no concern.

I'm not holding my breath in excitement here, but I also think Mangiapane, Czarnik and Dube have all been somewhat underwhelming.

It wouldn't take much for Lazar to push himself into the 4th line for the playoffs, especially since he's a bit more physical than any of the above, and has more NHL experience than all of them combined, including a few playoff games.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Itse For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2019, 10:22 AM   #59
Karl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itse View Post
15 points in 67 games and 20 points in 76 games in his first two seasons are bottom 6 NHL numbers. Nothing to get excited about, but serviceable numbers.

I also liked what I saw of Quine, but I have to say "sample size" to that.

If your concern is winning games now, his future UFA status should be of no concern.

I'm not holding my breath in excitement here, but I also think Mangiapane, Czarnik and Dube have all been somewhat underwhelming.

It wouldn't take much for Lazar to push himself into the 4th line for the playoffs, especially since he's a bit more physical than any of the above, and has more NHL experience than all of them combined, including a few playoff games.
Now that is a good point. I can see that as a possibility.

He may not play many or any regular season NHL games but I could see him sneaking onto the NHL team for the playoffs because of his physicality.
Old 01-07-2019, 10:26 AM   #60
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
No, I do not think the Bruins will cough up a 2nd for a guy based on one game, especially not a player they let walk last summer for nothing. GMs don't do that.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote