Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-07-2019, 08:46 AM   #21
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggy View Post
He didn't play well last year. But a lot of the Flames didn't play well under GG. Why not give him a chance and see if he can make an impact with the big club.
Really comes down to who he replaces in the line-up. Hathaway would be the natural choice but he's stepped up his game this season and has become a really strong PKer.
Despite people's calls for Neal to be scratched, Lazar isn't taking his spot.
So really Lazar is competing with the likes of Quine, Foo, Rychel, Lomberg, for the next call-up spot.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 08:49 AM   #22
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Maybe if they shed a forward at some point here soon (Frolik) they can bring him back. He gets paid more than most call ups so the cap plays a factor.

Having him put forward a really strong season in the AHL doesn’t hurt either. I like the kid so I hope it works out for him.
Vinny01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 08:50 AM   #23
EVERLAST
Franchise Player

Location: https://homestars.com/companies/2808346-keith-my-furnace-guy
Exp:

Derek Ryan<Curtis Lazar ?

Don’t know why but Ryan doesn’t do it for me. Too bad he’s Peters pet project.
EVERLAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 08:50 AM   #24
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
He didn't play well last year. But a lot of the Flames didn't play well under GG. Why not give him a chance and see if he can make an impact with the big club.
Or the year before that, or the year before that, or the year before that.

It's all well and good he thinks he is "obviously an NHL player", the problem is that virtually no one else thought so at the end of last year nor so far this year.

If he has figured some things out beyond skating really fast and doing nothing else...great. He will get a chance to do show it at some point either in Calgary or with another org. and because he is so easy to like I hope he thrives at it. Im certainly not holding my breath he will however.
Old 01-07-2019, 08:52 AM   #25
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVERLAST View Post

Ugh I hate this narrative. it came out after the trade and some fans continue to cling to it. Ryan's usage (outside the second PP unit, which I will agree he's not doing well with) has been fine. And he adds way more value than Lazar.
Big face off wins
Digging pucks out of the corners
Big plays down in the third to protect leads.

Give me a single piece of evidence that suggests Lazar is a better NHLer.

He's not a "pet project". He's overpaid slightly, like 90% of UFA signings, but has a clear role on this team, and one that he is delivering on for the most part.

Last edited by Jiri Hrdina; 01-07-2019 at 08:57 AM.
Old 01-07-2019, 08:53 AM   #26
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Its good to hear. Because he was rushed into the league, I can see why Lazar would have mental issues possibly thinking he was never good enough for the league. To go down and dominate at the lower level to give him the confidence that he can do more is going to be huge. Lazar has a lot of tools, he could be a really good player if it gets put together.
Old 01-07-2019, 08:53 AM   #27
Royle9
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm in the same boat as SureLoss on this one.
I dont see Lazar getting another big stint with the Flames this year given his contract status at the end of the season. He'll be part of a trade package at the deadline if anything.

I know some are eager to see what he can do at the NHL level again, but I caution you to look no further than the guy who's been eating popcorn most nights all season Mr.Czarnik.

Czarnik was 3rd in AHL scoring last year, we all had high hopes for him this season (myself included) and he's been borderline invisible every night. Most times AHL skill does not translate to the NHL unfortunately, just take a look at the top 10 from last years AHL scoring race... its pretty evident, more so when Ben Street is tied for 5th.
  1. Chris Terry - 71
  2. Phil Varone - 70
  3. Austin Czarnik - 69
  4. Mason Appleton - 66
  5. Daniel Sprong - 65
  6. Teemu Pulkkinen - 65
  7. Ben Street - 65
  8. Eric Tangradi - 64
  9. Cal O'Reilly - 64
  10. Curtis Valk - 62
Royle9 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Royle9 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2019, 08:53 AM   #28
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

His cap hit is higher than all the other options and a recall runs the risk of him being claimed if they try and send him down again.

I think he's stuck in the AHL until after the roster freeze at the end of the year.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 08:55 AM   #29
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Ryan is immeasurably better than Lazar. He's a boss at faceoffs, great defensively, drives possession, and already has more points this year than Lazar had in a full season last year. He is a full-timer and will be for the duration of his deal, no bones about it.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2019, 08:57 AM   #30
mrdonkey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Is it also Gulutzan’s fault that he has concrete blocks for hands?
mrdonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 09:03 AM   #31
Jiggy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdonkey View Post
Is it also Gulutzan’s fault that he has concrete blocks for hands?
No. But he looked like a guy who was out of sorts with no confidence. Brodie, Bennett and Hamonic looked the same way. This year they look like different players. I'm not saying bring him up and sign him to an extension. Bring him up and see if he can make an impact or not. It probably won't happen until after the trade deadline depending on what moves Tre makes, but I'm hoping things work out for the kid.
Jiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 09:08 AM   #32
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Lazar needs to be tested at the NHL level under Bill Peters, and since he seems to have found some form back at the AHL level. If you read the article, he also insinuates that there was a long-term plan with Treliving about spending time in the AHL, which I think Tre owes it to him to give it an honest try.

I really want him to succeed, his heart is in the right place and he's got the tools to be an NHL'er. I don't want to see him succeed somewhere else, I'd rather see him succeed here.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 09:11 AM   #33
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would be surprised to see Lazar play another game for the Flames. But then again, non of the call ups to date have taken a spot and ran ran with it, so there is always a chance.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 09:11 AM   #34
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pending UFA that won't be with the Flames next year.
Old 01-07-2019, 09:12 AM   #35
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVERLAST View Post

Not a Ryan fan either, but Lazar is no replacement of Ryan. Ryan is still a killer in the faceoff circle and I really appreciate that skill. That should be his specialty and used for that skill alone. Win a faceoff, then get the hell off the ice. Lazar unfortunately does nothing that makes him a possible replacement for anyone on the current roster. If he wants to be a NHL player he better get that agent burning up the phones to try and arrange some interest in him so he can be dealt. There is no room on the Calgary Flames for him. That's just the nature of the current roster.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 09:17 AM   #36
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
No. But he looked like a guy who was out of sorts with no confidence. Brodie, Bennett and Hamonic looked the same way. This year they look like different players. I'm not saying bring him up and sign him to an extension. Bring him up and see if he can make an impact or not. It probably won't happen until after the trade deadline depending on what moves Tre makes, but I'm hoping things work out for the kid.
Brodie, Bennett and Hamonic had all demonstrated, to some degree or another, that they can perform at the NHL level.
Lazar has never done that.
Old 01-07-2019, 09:18 AM   #37
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

I should mention that as much as I want Lazar to stay, he's almost in the perfect situation to be traded by the deadline. Some non-playoff team is going to want to take a gamble on a low-risk project like Lazar, and if Tre doesn't want to bring him up we may as well get something for him. Seems like a guy that could be packaged with Stone, Frolik or one of our young defensemen in a pure hockey trade.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 09:20 AM   #38
Karl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
Lazar needs to be tested at the NHL level under Bill Peters, and since he seems to have found some form back at the AHL level. If you read the article, he also insinuates that there was a long-term plan with Treliving about spending time in the AHL, which I think Tre owes it to him to give it an honest try.

I really want him to succeed, his heart is in the right place and he's got the tools to be an NHL'er. I don't want to see him succeed somewhere else, I'd rather see him succeed here.
Lazar doesn't have close to the kind of puck skills that Brodie, Hamonic or even Bennett possess. There's a good reason he's 'Mr. stone hands of Lazar'. It's not all about lack of confidence. It's a lot to do with a lack of NHL level skill and talent.

Good for him that he's doing well in the AHL but there is a huge step up and gap between most of NHL calibre talent vs most of AHL talent, and even a decent number of stone-handed guys can score at a decent clip in the AHL because of the largely vastly lesser skill level of most players there and the scrambly and sloppy nature of many AHL games. Quine is a better player than Lazar. Granted, there are players on other teams who have no business being in the NHL, but that's another story.

Last edited by Karl; 01-07-2019 at 09:49 AM.
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Karl For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2019, 09:25 AM   #39
Jiggy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
Brodie, Bennett and Hamonic had all demonstrated, to some degree or another, that they can perform at the NHL level.
Lazar has never done that.
I agree he hasn't. He should have been in the AHL years ago so he could grow his game. But if he's a pending UFA why not give him a shot and see where he is at? Maybe things will come together for him and he can help the team.
Jiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 09:27 AM   #40
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I agree he hasn't. He should have been in the AHL years ago so he could grow his game. But if he's a pending UFA why not give him a shot and see where he is at? Maybe things will come together for him and he can help the team.
Because you have better players that you are trying to win games with and indeed if he's a UFA (I can't remember his contract status) you are likely not to re-sign him anyways. It's basically the Wotherspoon situation all over again.
His ceiling right now is that of a 4th line forward or 13th forward. So if he moves on and becomes that elsewhere - meh.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post: