Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-17-2018, 01:09 PM   #41
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Gulutzan will go down as one of the worst coaches this franchise has ever seen, and I'm so glad we have Bill Peters and this year's Flames as a juxtaposition to look back on instead of another season of unwatchable, weak shot attempting, non high danger shooting from the high danger zone, skating in mud, possession driven, no results giving garbage.

Last edited by jayswin; 12-17-2018 at 01:22 PM.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2018, 01:18 PM   #42
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

I mean I'm not trying to be ride the mods and Bingo too hard for defending him so much during his tenure (I realize they mostly came around to see his failure second half last season) and I do agree with Jiri that the players wear part of the blame.

But end of the day there's three things a coach can get out of a roster:

The most, something or very little. Gulutzan got very little. Is the roster much improved now? Absolutely, can't take that away from Gulutzan. But could a good coach have gotten more out of the Flames the last two seasons? Almost assuredly.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2018, 01:32 PM   #43
Red
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I was very sceptical when Peters was hired, but he has won me over.

He leads this team without any doubt. He looks so poised and commited. He benches players left right and centre and the players still seem to like playing for him. They are having fun, which helps.
The team played well from game 1, no "adjustment" excuses needed.
The team has developed an identity of a fast, high scoring, no quit juggernaut. How friggen sweet is that?

Most of all, i dont have to look at spreadsheets to find good things about this team. One peek at nhl.com and I can see if this team is playing well, wins, gf, ga and goal differential. All that tells the real story. This team is playing well.

No longer need for long debates about how we are close and just need a little morr patience. Put up or shut up.

How many blowout wins has this team had this year? Such a fun season so far.
Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 01:35 PM   #44
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Gulutzan will go down as one of the worst coaches this franchise has ever seen, and I'm so glad we have Bill Peters and this year's Flames as a juxtaposition to look back on instead of another season of unwatchable, weak shot attempting, non high danger shooting from the high danger zone, skating in mud, possession driven, no results giving garbage.
PSA: He's also growing an extremely hideous goatee.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1074511485093605376
Old 12-17-2018, 02:06 PM   #45
Jetfire
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stemit14 View Post
Love the focus that Peters is getting out of this team. Great example came in the St.Louis game yesterday: gaudreau just scored to restore the 4 goal lead. A couple minutes later, there’s a clip of gaudreau going over a play on an iPad with the coach and monahan. Gaudreau and monahan are talking it over and clarifying something on the play with each other... in a 5-1 game. It’s not smiles and joking around about how good they are... it’s all business till they get the win.

It may not seem like much... but it’s two guys that are absolutely crushing this league right now but seem to be totally focused on getting the details perfect every shift. It was also seen in the comeback against Philly: Monahan scored the tying goal and was getting his hair scruffed up by guys on bench and patted on the back... but monahan was just focused on the next shift. He knew they needed another goal to win and that was all that seemed to be in his head when all that was happening.

I give credit to the players and the coaches for getting this level of focus and intensity out of the team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I agree with this entirely, but just to add, Peters has done all this and I've also found it impressive that he hasn't come across as some ruthless taskmaster at any point. He's generally serious and he seems to let the team know exactly what he wants from each player, yet he seems to always try to keep things fun and relaxed, it's only a few months into his tenure as coach, but I can see clear as day the players respect the hell out of him and are buying into what he's teaching. Peters oozes confidence and the team is reflecting the same.
Jetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 02:08 PM   #46
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

In 2017-18 the Flames went 43 for 269 on the power play. That was good enough for 16% and 28th overall. In 2018-19 the Flames are 28 for 120 on the power play. They have the 5th most power play goals in the NHL. To put this in context, if the Flames go 16 for 149 (10.7%) on the power play the rest of the season, they will still be better than they were last year.

This shows how bad Gulutzan and Cameron were, and how good Peters is. It is not a coincidence that Calgary is dramatically better at every significant stat with those two gone. At this point last year Calgary had a minus 5 goal differential, 30 points, and was 9th in the West. This year they have a plus 29 goal differential, 46 points, and are tied in points for 1st in the West with one more game played than Winnipeg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Jesus this site these days
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
He just seemed like a very nice person. I loved Squiggy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I should probably stop posting at this point
squiggs96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 02:09 PM   #47
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

As a fan, Peters checks off all the boxes:

- Winning!
- Team comes out with energy in big games
- Team plays entertaining hockey all the way to the end
- Team shows up at home
- Knows how to shorten the bench
- Willing to play the young guys
- Willing to sit/bench guys who aren't playing well
- Doesn't panic, and doesn't make himself or his team look like an @ss

Also, don't know if anyone else has noticed it but he has that half smile when a bad call goes against him. Kind of like "you mother****** you're going to try that on me?".
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tvp2003 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2018, 02:11 PM   #48
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by squiggs96 View Post
In 2017-18 the Flames went 43 for 269 on the power play. That was good enough for 16% and 28th overall. In 2018-19 the Flames are 28 for 120 on the power play. They have the 5th most power play goals in the NHL. To put this in context, if the Flames go 16 for 149 (10.7%) on the power play the rest of the season, they will still be better than they were last year.

This shows how bad Gulutzan and Cameron were, and how good Peters is. It is not a coincidence that Calgary is dramatically better at every significant stat with those two gone. At this point last year Calgary had a minus 5 goal differential, 30 points, and was 9th in the West. This year they have a plus 29 goal differential, 46 points, and are tied in points for 1st in the West with one more game played than Winnipeg.
Peters is way better. That said, Lindholm is a huge difference to the powerplay.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 02:20 PM   #49
belsarius
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvp2003 View Post
As a fan, Peters checks off all the boxes:

- Winning!
- Team comes out with energy in big games
- Team plays entertaining hockey all the way to the end
- Team shows up at home
- Knows how to shorten the bench
- Willing to play the young guys
- Willing to sit/bench guys who aren't playing well
- Doesn't panic, and doesn't make himself or his team look like an @ss

Also, don't know if anyone else has noticed it but he has that half smile when a bad call goes against him. Kind of like "you mother****** you're going to try that on me?".
Haha yeah I love that smirk. Reminds me of Sutter, he always had that same look on his face with bad calls or when some fluky thing happens. To me it is a calming factor with the coach, he knows its BS but isn't going to let it faze him, and therefore the team. That laugh in the face of adversity means a lot in terms of confidence.
The @NHLFlames are the first team to feature four players each with 50+ points within their first 45 games of a season since the Penguins in 1995-96 (Ron Francis, Mario Lemieux, Jaromir Jagr, Tomas Sandstrom).
belsarius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to belsarius For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2018, 02:44 PM   #50
Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's amazing to see relatively the same roster go from doldrum to decisive in an off-season. The additions of Lindholm, Hanifin and Ryan certainly shouldn't be discounted, but they aren't the difference between "do I hate hockey now?" to "no, hockey is the fricken best!"

The team plays rabid, and their quick decisions have led to many great plays. Besides all the stats we've seen, we have seen more incredible saves from the other teams goalies this year than I can remember as well. Our shots are far more dangerous than before and it's cause teams to finally break in the 3rd over and over. We're finally the team you better show up against.

He has this team and fan-base Billieving and I think the rope he's given players like Smith and Neal are pretty good indicators as to how his locker room is run. The stats weren't there, but he believed in the player. Practice and smarts matters to Bill, and we'll see what that patience ends up producing - but there's no question that a player with the will to win will get a chance with Peters.
Split98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 02:50 PM   #51
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Peters is way better. That said, Lindholm is a huge difference to the powerplay.

GG could have had Lindholm on his power play and it would have looked exactly the same. When the Flames were actually able to enter the zone and set up, the defencemen would pass the puck back and forth until they gave it to a forward who would shoot it from 30 feet out with no presence in front of the net. GG had Monahan, Gaudreau, Tkachuk, Hamilton, and Giordano. You can put Lindholm in there, but if he isn't allowed to do anything, he's not becoming a difference. GG and Cameron chose to use Troy Brouwer, who managed exactly zero goals on the power play in 2017-18.

This year's power play is dramatically different. It's fun to watch and is yielding significantly better results. Part of it is Lindholm, but a much bigger part of it is the design of the power play and putting skilled players like Lindholm in situation that will allow him to succeed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Jesus this site these days
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
He just seemed like a very nice person. I loved Squiggy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I should probably stop posting at this point
squiggs96 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to squiggs96 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2018, 03:13 PM   #52
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Flames have the second best penalty differential in the league. They have drawn 60 more PIM than they have taken. Gotta say, a lot of that his due to good coaching.
TheIronMaiden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 03:23 PM   #53
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
The Flames have the second best penalty differential in the league. They have drawn 60 more PIM than they have taken. Gotta say, a lot of that his due to good coaching.
A lot of that is due to the fact that they usually have the puck and the other team is holding on for dear life.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 03:40 PM   #54
midniteowl
Franchise Player

Exp:

[QUOTE=squiggs96;6912295]GG could have had Lindholm on his power play and it would have looked exactly the same. When the Flames were actually able to enter the zone and set up, the defencemen would pass the puck back and forth until they gave it to a forward who would shoot it from 30 feet out with no presence in front of the net. GG had Monahan, Gaudreau, Tkachuk, Hamilton, and Giordano. You can put Lindholm in there, but if he isn't allowed to do anything, he's not becoming a difference. GG and Cameron chose to use Troy Brouwer, who managed exactly zero goals on the power play in 2017-18. [ /QUOTE]

Where would he put Lindholm, he had Brouwer on first unit remember? Nobody could supplant Brouwer, it was called the Brouwerplay instead of powerplay afterall.

Last edited by midniteowl; 12-17-2018 at 03:43 PM.
midniteowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 03:55 PM   #55
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by belsarius View Post
Haha yeah I love that smirk. Reminds me of Sutter, he always had that same look on his face with bad calls or when some fluky thing happens. To me it is a calming factor with the coach, he knows its BS but isn't going to let it faze him, and therefore the team. That laugh in the face of adversity means a lot in terms of confidence.
I couldn't quite articulate it but i think you nailed it on the head.
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 04:01 PM   #56
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

[QUOTE=midniteowl;6912346]
Quote:
Originally Posted by squiggs96 View Post
GG could have had Lindholm on his power play and it would have looked exactly the same. When the Flames were actually able to enter the zone and set up, the defencemen would pass the puck back and forth until they gave it to a forward who would shoot it from 30 feet out with no presence in front of the net. GG had Monahan, Gaudreau, Tkachuk, Hamilton, and Giordano. You can put Lindholm in there, but if he isn't allowed to do anything, he's not becoming a difference. GG and Cameron chose to use Troy Brouwer, who managed exactly zero goals on the power play in 2017-18. [ /QUOTE]

Where would he put Lindholm, he had Brouwer on first unit remember? Nobody could supplant Brouwer, it was called the Brouwerplay instead of powerplay afterall.
Sigh. GG didn't have Brouwer on the first unit last year. In fact, he had him on no unit for a large part of the year. Go look at Brouwer's powerplay TOI game by game for last year.

Midnite is correct - Hamilton played the Lindholm role. And he had a deadly wrister like Lindholm. But he didn't have the distribution from that side like Lindholm does, nor the puck retrieval skills or effort.

Their first unit is exactly the same in setup. They just move it quicker, and Lindholm is a bigger asset than Hamilton. I can't see any other differences - maybe they just are more motivated.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 04:10 PM   #57
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

It’s almost like a good coach develops a system around his players strengths instead of forcing players the adapt their game to fit a system

Who would have thought !
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 04:21 PM   #58
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
The worst thing about Bill Peters is he's showing us just how much we wasted the last two seasons with Gulutzan.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SebC For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2018, 04:23 PM   #59
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebC View Post
The worst thing about Bill Peters is he's showing us just how much we wasted the last two seasons with Gulutzan.
Yup. Those teams weren't going to win it all or anything, but if better managed, they should have made the playoffs and at least now this group would have some playoff experience under its belt.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 05:38 PM   #60
Red
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

[QUOTE=GioforPM;6912372]
Quote:
Originally Posted by midniteowl View Post

Sigh. GG didn't have Brouwer on the first unit last year. In fact, he had him on no unit for a large part of the year. Go look at Brouwer's powerplay TOI game by game for last year.

Midnite is correct - Hamilton played the Lindholm role. And he had a deadly wrister like Lindholm. But he didn't have the distribution from that side like Lindholm does, nor the puck retrieval skills or effort.

Their first unit is exactly the same in setup. They just move it quicker, and Lindholm is a bigger asset than Hamilton. I can't see any other differences - maybe they just are more motivated.
Sigh indeed. Brouwer played almost 100 mins on PP. That's 100 more that he should have. If he only played PP less than half a season as you suggest then he got a ton of PP in that limited time. So he either played a ton in the games he was on the PP or he played 1:14 per game all season. Either way, Brouwer was a regular on Gulutzans PP.
Red is offline   Reply With Quote