Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-23-2019, 12:55 PM   #261
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
In 2018, Ryan had 4G, 7A, 11P and was -4 in 39 games (.282 PPG)

In 2019,Ryan has 5G, 16A, 21P and is +16 in 34 games (.618 PPG)

Incredible. It's almost like it takes time to adjust to a new team, and fans should be patient.
Yes!

So the guy comes in, on the wrong side of 30 and with a big raise. Clearly there is some expectation there, that management and the coach see something. He comes in and has a pretty darn unimpressive first half. Never mind that, he has it sorted!

We can now sanctimoniously wag our fingers at these people, with the full benefit of hindsight! Players need time to adjust, you impatient fools!

You know ... except Lindholm... he was good right away. Really good.

And maybe Neal. But maybe he finds his game and we wag our fingers about that too!
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 02:50 PM   #262
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:
icon53

Quote:
In 2018, Ryan had 4G, 7A, 11P and was -4 in 39 games (.282 PPG)

In 2019,Ryan has 5G, 16A, 21P and is +16 in 34 games (.618 PPG)

Incredible. It's almost like it takes time to adjust to a new team, and fans should be patient.
It's not just about Ryan. The fourth line was under construction for much of the first half of the season. Czarnik was tried there, and Quine and Dube and I think some others too. Rotating linemates always makes things a bit harder.

Mangiapane - Ryan - Hathaway became settled as the fourth line mid-December I think?

Anyway, that combination had some chemistry, chemistry breeds success, success breeds confidence and that breeds more success.

When two guys (Eatbread and Doc) find their game at about the same time playing on the same line, that's probably not a coincidence

Also, Hathaway has had a good year, and has really grown me. Plays a steady physical two-way game and has put up nine goals which is perfectly satisfactory for a guy in his role.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 02:56 PM   #263
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
Yes!

So the guy comes in, on the wrong side of 30 and with a big raise. Clearly there is some expectation there, that management and the coach see something. He comes in and has a pretty darn unimpressive first half. Never mind that, he has it sorted!

We can now sanctimoniously wag our fingers at these people, with the full benefit of hindsight! Players need time to adjust, you impatient fools!

You know ... except Lindholm... he was good right away. Really good.

And maybe Neal. But maybe he finds his game and we wag our fingers about that too!
There were many people preaching to maintain degrees of patience with Ryan all along. It's not like we were all naysayers.

TheScorpion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 02:58 PM   #264
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

There is no question that all 3 players can take some credit for the resurgence of the 4th line. But at the same time, Ryan's own play is also substantially improved. He was struggling early, by any standard. Now, he is doing all kinds of things well. And he was the primary catalyst for the line beginning to improve.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2019, 03:18 PM   #265
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Sure, we love that he’s better.

But when you say it takes guys time, it didn’t for Lindholm
When you say be patient, Neal didn’t turn it on 15, 20 or 30 games in, and has yet to

So I appreciate the player in the second half, just find the sanctimony hollow

Ryan has been very good. 30 games in, nobody had good reason to forecast his dramatic improvement in play
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 03:19 PM   #266
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

It might be hollow if no one had said be patient from the get go, I suppose.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2019, 04:07 AM   #267
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
There is no question that all 3 players can take some credit for the resurgence of the 4th line. But at the same time, Ryan's own play is also substantially improved. He was struggling early, by any standard. Now, he is doing all kinds of things well. And he was the primary catalyst for the line beginning to improve.
I totally agree.

My point was mostly that the early season instability with his linemates probably contributed to his "hardships" (he wasn't bad IMO, but there's no question he's playing better now), and that once that situation got sorted out, those three guys seem to have kind of help build each other up, starting with Ryan, but spreading to Mangiapane and Hathaway. (Although the last has been the steadiest of the three, his confidence to make plays has obviously improved.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
Sure, we love that he’s better.

But when you say it takes guys time, it didn’t for Lindholm
When you say be patient, Neal didn’t turn it on 15, 20 or 30 games in, and has yet to

So I appreciate the player in the second half, just find the sanctimony hollow

Ryan has been very good. 30 games in, nobody had good reason to forecast his dramatic improvement in play
Lindholm had instant chemistry and was put on a line with two of the best forwards on the team.

30 games in, Ryan's left winger was one of the guys who's now in the AHL.

It's not a totally fair comparison.

Last edited by Itse; 03-24-2019 at 04:12 AM.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 04:23 AM   #268
Madrox
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Ryan was a touch underwhelming early on, but it was hardly surprising that the coach leaned on him a bit after having him last year, he was one of the only guys that knew how he was expected to play without being told. The guy I’m watching out there now has definitely taken another step, every now and then he does something that surprises me and he looks dangerous. I’m not going to look a gift horse in the mouth, but I think I understand why so many teams were interested in him.
Madrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 12:24 PM   #269
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Now up to 35 points in 77 games. Needs three more points to tie his career-high.

TheScorpion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 12:32 PM   #270
PugnaciousIntern
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
Now up to 35 points in 77 games. Needs three more points to tie his career-high.
Wow, considering his decreased ice time and decreased quality of linemates, that really is impressive. I hadn’t been following his point totals but certainly have heard his name announced during games a fair bit lately.

I remember thinking after we acquired him that he better not put up those same numbers as last year, otherwise it means that he’s playing at least 2nd line and ahead of other deserving players. I was not expecting him to continue his production in a reduced role; what a pleasant surprise!
PugnaciousIntern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 12:40 PM   #271
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I really question calling Hathaway/Ryan/mangiapane the fourth line right now.

Maybe that's a weird statement but it sure seems to me like the flames are giving that line harder minutes than what jankowski line is seeing.

They resemble more of a ducks cup winning third line than a 4th line.

Come on stats guys, show me what's what here.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2019, 12:54 PM   #272
getoverit
Scoring Winger

Exp:

agree,now if we could just get our 3rd line contributing. Janko looks just lost out there, if it wasnt for his penalty killing i dont know what else this guys gives you. wish he would play to his size
getoverit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 01:22 PM   #273
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getoverit View Post
agree,now if we could just get our 3rd line contributing. Janko looks just lost out there, if it wasnt for his penalty killing i dont know what else this guys gives you. wish he would play to his size
It is often bizarre to me that Jankowski can look so good while playing short handed against the other team’s top players, but then appear so average when facing off at even strength v. lesser players. I don’t get it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2019, 02:32 PM   #274
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

its gotten to the point that i am seriously considering getting a Ryan jersey... something i never would have thought at the beginning of the year!
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to oldschoolcalgary For This Useful Post: