Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-27-2019, 12:55 PM   #401
PugnaciousIntern
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
It will be interesting to see how this contract works out.

I've seen the argument about coaching style, and I've seen the argument about missing Klefbom - reason for Koskinen's decline of late.

So here's a table ...

Code:
Row Labels	Count of Date	Saves	Save%	CA/Game	SCA/Game	HDA/Game
McLellan	8	211	0.913	56.8	28.8	11.1
Healthy	8	211	0.913	56.8	28.8	11.1
Hitchcock	20	505	0.908	55.7	27.2	12.4
Healthy	7	196	0.942	59.1	28.9	12.9
Klefbom	13	309	0.888	53.8	26.2	12.1
Grand Total	28	716	0.910	56.0	27.6	12.0
In chapters ...

Chapter One - McLellan as coach - .913 save percentage
Chapter Two - Hitchcock with Klefbom healthy - .942 save percentage
Chapter Three - Hitchcock Klefbom hurt - .888 save percentage

The assumption ... Klefbom out means Oilers are no good and it's not Koskinen's fault.

But look at the team metrics at the same time.

Chapter One - McLellan as coach - CA 56.8 SCA 28.8 HDCA 11.1
Chapter Two - Hitchcock with Klefbom healthy - CA 59.1 SCA 28.9 HDCA 12.9
Chapter Three - Hitchcock Klefbom hurt - CA 53.8 SCA 26.2 HDCA 12.1

The Oilers have given up less in terms of shot attempts, scoring chances and high danger chances without Klefbom but Koskinen has been shredded just the same.
I’ll add one more layer. In the statistical / research world, absolutely all results are accompanied by margins of error. It’s a little more mathy and not easily digestible for the general hockey fan base. But if you are making hockey decisions based on results, you can’t just compare two numbers without considering ‘what if this is just random chance’?

Some things you need for accurate estimates are large differences and large sample size. In this example, we do have a relatively large difference in estimates (0.942 vs 0.888). We do have a relatively huge difference in context of hockey goalies, but a difference of 0.054 in a test of proportions is quite small. This is where the number of games played (more specifically, number of shots faced) comes into consideration.its not even close to reaching statistical significance. Plus, we know that there are plenty of other factors beyond Hotch an Klefblom that we need to adjust for (score effects, shot danger, etc). There simply isn’t a body of evidence to make a claim based on in-game statistical evidence.

That leaves us with hockey sense. For example, if a PeeWee goalie was thrown into an NHL game and let in the first shot of the game, while there isn’t enough body of evidence to ‘statistically’ predict that he will continue to be lit up, we all can see that he’s not going to be a good goaltender. That’s because of factors that we can appreciate, but that the numbers themselves might not.

So without statistical backing, the Oilers are either A) misinterpreting basic statistics or B) using their hockey sense to make these decisions. Either option is very reassuring to all Flames fans!
PugnaciousIntern is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PugnaciousIntern For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2019, 01:15 PM   #402
shadowlord
First Line Centre

Exp:

Isn't this the same organization that gave Ben Scrivens a multi year contract (effectively) after making a 50-something shot shutout in a single game? And if memory serves me correctly, that wasn't even under Chiarelli's watch.

Somethings never change.

EDIT:

Ben Scrivens (age 27): 10-9-4 (LA+Edm), SV .934, $2.3mil/2yr at the time of signing
Mikko Koskinen (age 30): 10-14-1 (Edm), SV .911, $4.5mil/3yr

Last edited by shadowlord; 01-27-2019 at 01:27 PM. Reason: Added comparison stats
shadowlord is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to shadowlord For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2019, 02:09 PM   #403
Flames fan 4 life
Draft Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldrickOnIce View Post
People have some silly, childish notion that these guys hold some special allegiance to the Flames that results in them making bad business decisions.
Yes, Iginla held out and Kipper went to arbitration. Such is the nature of the business side, and is definitely not a measure of their loyalty to the organization.
IIRC Kipper went to arbitration because Sutter said he didn’t know how to go about his contract and thought it was a fair way to proceed
Flames fan 4 life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 02:23 PM   #404
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames fan 4 life View Post
IIRC Kipper went to arbitration because Sutter said he didn’t know how to go about his contract and thought it was a fair way to proceed
Arbitration, by definition, should be fair. It also guarantees the player will be on the ice. It's part of the process, and I have no problem with it at all.
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to EldrickOnIce For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2019, 04:47 PM   #405
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oscar Klefbom must secretly be the best defenseman in the world.
GreenLantern2814 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GreenLantern2814 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-28-2019, 07:53 AM   #406
crapshoot
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
Oscar Klefbom must secretly be the best defenseman in the world.

In other words, he is just another one of their five Giordanos, since the real Mark Giordano probably is the best defenseman in the world at this point.
crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 08:46 AM   #407
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

The guys on 960 were speculating this morning that Rittich will be signing a deal that starts at 4+ million a year.

I just dont see it myself.
Old 01-28-2019, 09:03 AM   #408
Captaincanada80
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
The guys on 960 were speculating this morning that Rittich will be signing a deal that starts at 4+ million a year.

I could see it...

If he wins the Stanley Cup!!

Otherwise 2.5M-4M pending term
Old 01-28-2019, 09:04 AM   #409
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

yeah with the deSmith contract out there the numbers line up on the team side, unless they go long term.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 09:06 AM   #410
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

No rush to get this done as lets see how the season ends. Elliott at one time looked to be heading to a possible extension with the Flames and then the playoffs happened.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 01-28-2019, 09:27 AM   #411
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Those guys just don't have a handle on contracts. They've been dead wrong in their predictions almost every time.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 01-28-2019, 09:34 AM   #412
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Those guys just don't have a handle on contracts. They've been dead wrong in their predictions almost every time.
I dont really remember them talking a whole lot about such things, but they are just guessing like anyone else.

I just thought it was a bit jarring that BSD would be in that 4M conversation based on what he has done thus far...particularly as an RFA.
Old 01-28-2019, 09:45 AM   #413
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I dont really remember them talking a whole lot about such things, but they are just guessing like anyone else.

I just thought it was a bit jarring that BSD would be in that 4M conversation based on what he has done thus far...particularly as an RFA.
They'd talked about it when Gio, Johnnie and Monnie were up, and, more recently, about Nylander.

Typically, they err high for some reason.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 01:21 PM   #414
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

They were speculating that Gaudreau's contract might be over $9M. They have been horribly wrong, and almost invariably way too high, with pretty much every one.

As someone else said, I think the only way Rittich's contract is in the 4s is if the Flames make the cup final and he is heroic in the cause. And if so, pay the man!
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 01:27 PM   #415
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
They were speculating that Gaudreau's contract might be over $9M. They have been horribly wrong, and almost invariably way too high, with pretty much every one.

As someone else said, I think the only way Rittich's contract is in the 4s is if the Flames make the cup final and he is heroic in the cause. And if so, pay the man!
And further people keep thinking that they're using Koskinen as a comparable when he really isnt.

Koskinen's contract will have no bearing upon the negotiations between parties maintaining relatively normal levels of sanity.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 01:31 PM   #416
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

If Ritter expects 4+ a year. He's going to need to win a couple playoff series and prove he's a legit #1.

I'd be hesitant to hand out a larger contract for a goalie who's posted 1 good season so far.
Otto-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 03:53 PM   #417
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto-matic View Post
If Ritter expects 4+ a year. He's going to need to win a couple playoff series and prove he's a legit #1.

I'd be hesitant to hand out a larger contract for a goalie who's posted 1 good season so far.
Kipper signed a 3 year 10 million contract after the 04 run/lock out. He was 28 at the time. I think that contract is something to work around from a starting point. Things to consider are Kipper was UFA coming off a pretty significant playoff run with his cap hit being around 7% of the team cap hit. For Rittich one of the big factors is one of his years is RFA so that will drop the AAV. Matt Murray after wining the cup, had an RFA cap hit of 3.75.

Time will tell, but I can definitely his UFA years starting with the number 4.
Robbob is online now   Reply With Quote