Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-27-2019, 10:09 AM   #21
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
And that's fair ... I certainly don't have insider information that says he's a boat anchor. I just wonder sometimes when former players get this "should be GM" tag when they really haven't done anything.

He certainly could be a budding star.

The one thing with names coming up though, how much of that is the next big guy and how much of that is a media guy or two just posting assistant GM names out of a hat?
Yeah, who knows? When Feaster was fired I don’t recall Treliving’s name being mentioned by many of the pundits. I personally hoped the Flames would hire Jim Benning; he was the most popular candidate being promoted by the media at the time. Thank god I wasn’t making this decision.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 10:17 AM   #22
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

I love Conroy, but if he becomes a full GM I hope it's with another team. If he turns out amazing then maybe he can pull a Yzerman and come back to Calgary after proving himself, but right now there's no need for Treliving to go anywhere. Also if Conroy was GM I think the franchise would become an open book instead of the tight lipped organization that Treliving runs. I'd rather not have every potential move the Flames are thinking of be reported across the country
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 10:18 AM   #23
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighting Banana Slug View Post
Conroy would need to learn to keep his mouth shut though. The quotes are great but I think as a GM you would need to keep quiet for a longer period of time so as not to potentially embarrass another GM or player.
This is overblown. Conroy is a gregarious guy, but I don’t think he is ever divulging proprietary or potentially embarrassing information. He’s no worse than Brian Burke, and I suspect half of the stuff published is fabricated. For example, I think his Skittles story is likely influenced by the media fascination that blew up after he was on the Flames roster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2019, 10:25 AM   #24
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
This is overblown. Conroy is a gregarious guy, but I don’t think he is ever divulging proprietary or potentially embarrassing information. He’s no worse than Brian Burke, and I suspect half of the stuff published is fabricated. For example, I think his Skittles story is likely influenced by the media fascination that blew up after he was on the Flames roster.

Perhaps so, but I do think being the top guy means you need to be less forthcoming generally. He can't be as friendly with media and players when he has all of the responsibilities of a GM, in my opinion. Just not sure it would fit his personality well. If he gets on the wrong side of a trade or UFA signing(as all GMs) will, I could see him dig a bigger hole as he talks further. Perhaps a little too honest.
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.

Last edited by Fighting Banana Slug; 01-27-2019 at 10:27 AM.
Fighting Banana Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 11:04 AM   #25
monkeyman
First Line Centre

Exp:

LOL. If Craig were to become the next GM, it'd be based on what the organization thinks of him and know about his work, and not on what we've heard or haven't of his work behind the scenes.
A lot of the same arguments could have been made about BT prior to him becoming the GM of here.
Old 01-27-2019, 11:14 AM   #26
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

To me, Conroy seems quite smart, level-headed and propably much more calculated in his words than he seems. I don't remember him ever slipping out anything he shouldn't, overhyping prospects or anything of the sort.

Let's remember that being the friendly and approachable face of the franchise is currently part of Conroys job description.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Itse For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2019, 11:52 AM   #27
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Paul Fenton was a GM candidate for a lot of years before he finally decided to move. There are always more tasks and responsibilities that an Assistant GM can take on or help out with. Treliving is still pretty young. I don't see him moving from the GM Chair anytime soon. Likewise Conroy could still do a few more things yet to prepare for a top job.
Old 01-27-2019, 11:57 AM   #28
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itse View Post
To me, Conroy seems quite smart, level-headed and propably much more calculated in his words than he seems. I don't remember him ever slipping out anything he shouldn't, overhyping prospects or anything of the sort.

Let's remember that being the friendly and approachable face of the franchise is currently part of Conroys job description.
I hope Conroy doesn't take a job with the oilers, there is a very good chance it would ruin his career.

We don't know exactly what his job entails, but I am sure Conroy is involved with everything Flames related, "and thus has garnered valuable experience". We know from reputation that BT puts in the extra work gaining unexpected results. Shrewd trades, hidden gems, or just meeting the players to show interest. While these are trademarks of BT there is no doubt Conroy benefits from his bosses work ethic. The oilers on the other hand we hear players complain they go unnoticed in the halls and have little or no direction. We can assume that the managers in the oilers org are lazy and wait for everyone else to solve the problems. There is no work ethic, they simply seem to be content with things falling on their laps.

I think Conroy would be an excellent GM one day but if it were with the oilers it would likely be a case of kamikazi.
DazzlinDino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 12:26 PM   #29
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
The only one I can remember is Matthew Phillips. I recall an article stating Conroy pushed hard for him.

Wasn’t he also the guy pushing to draft Fox?
Old 01-27-2019, 01:29 PM   #30
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kermitology View Post
Wasn’t he also the guy pushing to draft Fox?
Jim Cummins pushed for Fox.
Conroy pushed for Phillips.
Pulford pushed for Gaudreau (and then left for Arizona the next year)

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 01:57 PM   #31
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyman View Post
LOL. If Craig were to become the next GM, it'd be based on what the organization thinks of him and know about his work, and not on what we've heard or haven't of his work behind the scenes.
A lot of the same arguments could have been made about BT prior to him becoming the GM of here.
Who is saying otherwise?
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 02:37 PM   #32
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor View Post
So happy we have Craig Conroy, he is one of the most genuinely kind and awesome people on this planet.

When you are trying to sign or attract people to your city, having Craig is a secret weapon for Calgary.
Calgaryboy got to meet Conroy last March and he was treated like gold. Mr personality as I like to call Connie was yelling back to Treliving during their conversations that CB was going to be our good luck charm. TBQH Connie could probably talk a buzzard off a #### wagon

Old 01-27-2019, 04:34 PM   #33
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Conroy was also the one that identified Roman Horak as the one stirring the drink on that top line in Chilliwack, and then was subsequently included in that Erixon trade with the Rangers.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 06:09 PM   #34
1991 Canadian
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Off topic, but I have kind of forgotten about Roman Horak. I am surprised he hasn't tried to take another kick at the NHL now that the likes of Westgarth, Gadzic, etc... aren't taking up roster spots. I remember him being a decent enough bottom 6 forward.
1991 Canadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 06:28 PM   #35
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1991 Canadian View Post
Off topic, but I have kind of forgotten about Roman Horak. I am surprised he hasn't tried to take another kick at the NHL now that the likes of Westgarth, Gadzic, etc... aren't taking up roster spots. I remember him being a decent enough bottom 6 forward.
I'm not surprised he hasn't. The oilers still have his rights. I wouldn't want to walk into that #### show.
combustiblefuel is offline   Reply With Quote