Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-19-2018, 10:24 AM   #1
I_H8_Crawford
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Ticketmaster Colludes with Scalpers (Shocking, I Know)

CBC did a nice piece on it:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/a-p...gram-1.4828535

Glad I don't go to many events
I_H8_Crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 10:33 AM   #2
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

poor Broncos guy, he is just trying to put his kids through school

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2018, 10:36 AM   #3
Oil Stain
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ticketmaster is such a scumbag company.

I wish they would break up that monopoly.
Oil Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Oil Stain For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2018, 10:38 AM   #4
aaronck
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Pearl Jam was right! I've said for years Ticketmaster is the devil-but I don't think this news will change anything.
aaronck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 10:47 AM   #5
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would love to see Ticketmaster get phased out over time with fewer and fewer acts and venues using them.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 11:24 AM   #6
gottabekd
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

The only shocking thing would be if Ticketmaster wasn't sharing the double-dipping profits with bands/artists, promoters, and venues.

The artist/promoter gets to sell tickets to the public at 'reasonable' prices which are below the market price, Ticketmaster facilitates scalping to let tickets sell at the higher market price and gives the promoter/band/venue their respective cut depending on the arrangement, and the public directs their anger at scalpers and Ticketmaster instead of the other players.

All very shady and definitely not 'transparent and fair to consumers'. But is there a law being broken? I really don't know. There seems to be some deception on Ticketmaster's part, but the net effect is the public pays the market price for tickets.
gottabekd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 11:38 AM   #7
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

there is no way Ticketmaster should have access or own 'resale' sites.

that said the Bruno Mars impersonator guy made that piece!
Old 09-19-2018, 11:39 AM   #8
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

One change that could be made should be that the primary ticket seller should not be aloud, in any way, to profit from, or own any reselling companies. It wouldn't solve the entire problem, but it would remove any incentive Ticketmaster has to keep the re-seller market stocked.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 11:44 AM   #9
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

The really weird part is why they lie. Why not just list tickets for the real amounts they want to charge? At this point it isn't like the public is gonna have a freak out. We all know how much secondary tickets cost and how there is no primary market and that it is all a scam anyways.

Its like they are being shady for the sake of being shady.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 12:06 PM   #10
Flamenspiel
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
The really weird part is why they lie. Why not just list tickets for the real amounts they want to charge? At this point it isn't like the public is gonna have a freak out. We all know how much secondary tickets cost and how there is no primary market and that it is all a scam anyways.

No, because they would not sellout then, and they may eventually have to lower prices instead of raising them.

With the secondary market they transfer the risk of low demand to the reseller while still making money if the demand is high.
Flamenspiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 12:18 PM   #11
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Scammers gonna scam.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 12:39 PM   #12
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

This report doesn't really uncover anything unethical or unlawful in my opinion.

The only thing close is that the ticketmaster resale division won't share any information with the ticketmaster anti-bot division.

It does show how ticketmaster is incentivised to do as little as possible to fight bots however unless ticketmaster resale is selling or giving info on how to get around ticketmasters anti-bot processes then I don't think ticketmaster is doing anything wrong here.

The people at fault in the entire scalping operation are the Artists. If they wanted to they could make tickets non-transferable. If they wanted to they could sell tickets at market value. Either would eliminate scalping. Artists and sports team choose not to because sellouts at a set price are good for their reputations, revenue and long term demand.

What the middle-men do is really immaterial. This article does not show what people allege. It does not show that ticketmaster gives unfair access to tickets to Scalpers and this thread title is a gross misrepresentation of what the article states.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 01:23 PM   #13
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

i thoughtt heat the article suggested that TM sent tickets directly to thier reseller.

i seem to recall that the last time taylor swift went thru TO that the tickets were priced at something around $1,000 to prevent resellers from reselling as the theory was that people would really not want to pay more than face. If my recollection is correct, I don't ever recall seeing anything to indicate how that worked out other than TSwift likely making more that night.

i too would like to see TM broken up as they pretty much control the entire north-american ticket marketspace
Old 09-19-2018, 02:54 PM   #14
Hockey Fan #751
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

The big reason is if tickets were listed for the amount they want to charge, they'd only get their fees once (the time the tickets are purchased) but now they get their fees twice (initial purchase and then again when they're sold on the secondary market).

It also seems to me that the second time around, the percentage in fees that they get is higher.
Hockey Fan #751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 02:56 PM   #15
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Then why not just increase the fees? Or take a larger cut? Make all tickets have demand based pricing. Have auctions. There's a ton of ways to make the money.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 02:56 PM   #16
Hockey Fan #751
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
This report doesn't really uncover anything unethical or unlawful in my opinion.

The only thing close is that the ticketmaster resale division won't share any information with the ticketmaster anti-bot division.

It does show how ticketmaster is incentivised to do as little as possible to fight bots however unless ticketmaster resale is selling or giving info on how to get around ticketmasters anti-bot processes then I don't think ticketmaster is doing anything wrong here.

The people at fault in the entire scalping operation are the Artists. If they wanted to they could make tickets non-transferable. If they wanted to they could sell tickets at market value. Either would eliminate scalping. Artists and sports team choose not to because sellouts at a set price are good for their reputations, revenue and long term demand.

What the middle-men do is really immaterial. This article does not show what people allege. It does not show that ticketmaster gives unfair access to tickets to Scalpers and this thread title is a gross misrepresentation of what the article states.
The worst part about it is the bots. It's why if you go to see an event that's *almost* sold out, you'll see face value tickets appear and disappear all the time. The bots go in and they'll scoop up face value and hold them for 10 minutes before releasing and then rinse and repeat so that you'll instead buy at the scalped prices.
Old 09-19-2018, 02:57 PM   #17
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

The GoC sued them earlier this year, whatever happened with that?

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/com...ices-1.4504043
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 02:57 PM   #18
Hockey Fan #751
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Then why not just increase the fees? Or take a larger cut? Make all tickets have demand based pricing. Have auctions. There's a ton of ways to make the money.
I think raising the fees is something you'd have to negotiate with each promoter and while that's all quite possible, this is easier.
Old 09-19-2018, 03:00 PM   #19
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Fan #751 View Post
The worst part about it is the bots. It's why if you go to see an event that's *almost* sold out, you'll see face value tickets appear and disappear all the time. The bots go in and they'll scoop up face value and hold them for 10 minutes before releasing and then rinse and repeat so that you'll instead buy at the scalped prices.
But this article isn’t about the bots.

They did not investigate what ticketmaster does to fight bots. All we know is that the resale side of the company doesn’t rat out potential abusers of the onsale side.

Would it surprise me to learn that tocketmaster does the minimum possible to catch bots? No of course not. But this article does not address it at all.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote