Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Should Calgary Bid on the 2026 Olympics
Yes 286 46.28%
No 261 42.23%
Determine by plebiscite 71 11.49%
Voters: 618. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 03-20-2018, 08:51 PM   #1
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:
Default Should Calgary Bid on the 2026 Olympics

Yes
No
Determine by plebiscite

Edit to add that this is a private poll. Your username will not be listed on the answer you choose.

Also edit to add now that the poll has been created, I vote for plebiscite. In such a plebiscite, I would vote no, but I still think a plebiscite should decide it, not council.

Last edited by 4X4; 03-20-2018 at 11:58 PM.
Old 03-20-2018, 08:58 PM   #2
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just don't get why they'd be more willing to drop all this money into an Olympic bid as opposed to a new arena.

That doesn't mean I'm advocating building the Flames a new rink with 100% public funds, but to me it seems like they have the money and they're willing to spend it. Why not "waste" it on a rink so we can have Flames hockey and the big concerts that are skipping town for 30 years instead of on a two week party in 8 years? Just screams of Nenshi wanting a legacy that satisfies his ego.

Admittedly I'm not overly knowledgeable on the subject, so if I'm off base feel free to correct me.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to N-E-B For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2018, 09:14 PM   #3
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Nope, we've done it once and since then its become a massive money sink for no good purpose.

Summer worse then winter.

spending 50 million alone just to prepare a bid document should tell us all what we need to know.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2018, 09:16 PM   #4
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Why not? I know myself and 100s of friends who are now planning trips to the unimpressive hills of PyongChang County, so why not do the same for Calgary?
The Following User Says Thank You to Ducay For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2018, 09:29 PM   #5
DiracSpike
First Line Centre

Exp:

I wouldn't mind the Olympics here if we can get some legacy infrastructure out of the deal, a new arena and stadium being first and foremost. Even though calgary hosted already it happened 3 years before I was born so I'd like to see Olympics in Calgary for the first time.

But if we go forward with that abomination of a bid of having any thing more than ski jumping in whistler and using edmontons arena without getting one of our own I say no way in hell.
Old 03-20-2018, 09:29 PM   #6
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nope,

The preminary analysis showed that there was a 2.4 billion shortfall between the Revenues including 820 million from IOC and the cost of the games. That didn't include a new arena or new transit.

Instead of hosting the Olympics let's spend 2.4 billion on infrastructure we need. The numbers do not make sense even if we get money from the Feds.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2018, 09:35 PM   #7
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Someone brought up a good point on QR that a plebiscite isn't even entirely fair if it's a Calgary plebiscite, if Canmore and Banff are going to be hosting some of the events. We've seen it here on this forum how some Canmore residents/alumni feel about certain developments. They should have a say in this as well. Ditto, Banff. And anyone in the corridor.

Can a plebiscite be regional?
Old 03-20-2018, 09:49 PM   #8
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Kind of torn, I was here for the 88 Olympics and it was just a great time. The legacy facilities that were left behind are still used regularly to this day and many could still be reused 30 years later with a bit of refurbishment. If they can keep the cost reasonable then I'm totally on board, even if we take a small loss overall the infrastructure improvements will be a boon to the city. A new arena has to be part of it, that is non negotiable. I say yes but there has to be fiscal sanity involved, if we can get the feds and province on board, get the Flames to kick in a couple hundred Mil towards the arena, use existing facilities where possible, farm the ski jumping out to Whistler since it's a waste of money and come out of it close to a break even then I'm on board. If it's a multi-billion boondoggle then no thanks.

Edit: You should state in the original post that this is an anonymous poll, better results that way as people won't be afraid to be singled out based on their honest opinion.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jacks For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2018, 10:14 PM   #9
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Fata it. Doesn't sound like it will be profitable so there's no point. I absolutely have no interest in paying a single penny for a bunch of 20 somethings to live out their dream of skeet shooting better than the other guy's who's dream it was to skeet shoot.
Old 03-20-2018, 10:30 PM   #10
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
City council heard Friday that the previously stated price tag of $4.6 billion for hosting another Winter Olympics could push higher, according to the latest projections from Calgary’s Olympic project team.

As city council prepared to decide on a $2.5-million cash injection for the creation of a possible Olympic bid corporation, councillors questioned the previously floated figures for Calgary to host the 2026 Winter Games.

“We’re anticipating that number to be higher, we’ll have an exact number in likely June,” said Kyle Ripley, team lead on the city’s Olympic file, citing modifications to Games concept plans and costs associated with inflation for contributing to a likely increase in the $4.6-billion figure first cited last summer.

The news came as council was urged to green-light additional funds to complete Calgary’s $9.5-million portion for the BidCo. The proposed draft budget for BidCo would include $10.5 million from the federal government and $10 million from the province, totalling $30 million.
http://calgaryherald.com/news/local-...price-tag-city
Old 03-20-2018, 10:32 PM   #11
TheSutterDynasty
First Line Centre

Exp:

Huge NO!

I love the olympics. I watch as many events as possible and I'd love to go.

But financially it's a resoundingly poor decision. I'd like to hear more from those who voted 'yes' and the justification for the high likelihood of losing millions for infrastructure that can be had in other ways if absolutely needed.

An environment in which a person encounters only beliefs or opinions that coincide with their own, so that their existing views are reinforced and alternative ideas are not considered.
Old 03-20-2018, 10:37 PM   #12
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yes...if we get favourable terms.
Old 03-20-2018, 10:39 PM   #13
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSutterDynasty View Post
Huge NO!

I love the olympics. I watch as many events as possible and I'd love to go.

But financially it's a resoundingly poor decision. I'd like to hear more from those who voted 'yes' and the justification for the high likelihood of losing millions for infrastructure that can be had in other ways if absolutely needed.
Was it so bad for Vancouver and Whistler? Not really. Operationally it broke even, and they got a lot of exposure (Vancouver claims it leveraged a ton of economic development, especially tech from a concerted effort), and they got a lot of infrastructure tied to the games.
Old 03-20-2018, 10:44 PM   #14
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-E-B View Post
I just don't get why they'd be more willing to drop all this money into an Olympic bid as opposed to a new arena.

That doesn't mean I'm advocating building the Flames a new rink with 100% public funds, but to me it seems like they have the money and they're willing to spend it. Why not "waste" it on a rink so we can have Flames hockey and the big concerts that are skipping town for 30 years instead of on a two week party in 8 years? Just screams of Nenshi wanting a legacy that satisfies his ego.

Admittedly I'm not overly knowledgeable on the subject, so if I'm off base feel free to correct me.
There isn't the potential for large sums of provincial and federal money for a new arena. There might be for the Olympics to build infrastructure the city needs for beyond the Olympics that might not be high on the priority list for the province and feds otherwise (Calgary isn't exactly a swing riding city. No party needs to give us money).

It isn't about a 2 week party. It's about what gets built for that two week party that would last for decades beyond.Vancouver got the Canada Line, the Sea-to-Sky Highway, a rec centre and a convention centre expansion rammed through because of the Olympics. Calgary also has wish list items that are in need of higher level funding, so what can get it that can be put under the Olympic umbrella?

So that's the reason. People still might not like it, but that's the reason. The party and other stuff is just the gravy.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Roughneck For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2018, 10:54 PM   #15
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk View Post
Was it so bad for Vancouver and Whistler? Not really. Operationally it broke even, and they got a lot of exposure (Vancouver claims it leveraged a ton of economic development, especially tech from a concerted effort), and they got a lot of infrastructure tied to the games.
...not a shocker your supportive of it. But...

it would be a disaster to host the Olympics, and then watch the Flames move away. Please pass that onto Nenshi for me, if they're so hell bent on hosting the Olympics for this council's legacy, at least go full idiot and pay for the bloody arena so that we have something to look forward to beyond a 2 week party.
Old 03-20-2018, 10:56 PM   #16
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

I'm in it for the free sun ice jacket

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to surferguy For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2018, 10:57 PM   #17
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughneck View Post
There isn't the potential for large sums of provincial and federal money for a new arena. There might be for the Olympics to build infrastructure the city needs for beyond the Olympics that might not be high on the priority list for the province and feds otherwise (Calgary isn't exactly a swing riding city. No party needs to give us money).

It isn't about a 2 week party. It's about what gets built for that two week party that would last for decades beyond.Vancouver got the Canada Line, the Sea-to-Sky Highway, a rec centre and a convention centre expansion rammed through because of the Olympics. Calgary also has wish list items that are in need of higher level funding, so what can get it that can be put under the Olympic umbrella?

So that's the reason. People still might not like it, but that's the reason. The party and other stuff is just the gravy.
We've argued about this before but it's a sad state of affairs when the only way Federal funding can ever appear in your city (particularly when you're one of the country's most populated) is when you're hosting the Olympics and taking a submarine into massive deficit to get it.

Also, yeah, it's about a 2 week party. That's what the whole thing is about.
Old 03-20-2018, 11:20 PM   #18
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
We've argued about this before but it's a sad state of affairs when the only way Federal funding can ever appear in your city (particularly when you're one of the country's most populated) is when you're hosting the Olympics and taking a submarine into massive deficit to get it.
Bigger cities than us need money too. Some not much smaller than us need money as well. When there's a finite pile to go around, it tends to go to where there is the most political benefit (so never Calgary. Liberals don't like giving money here because they don't get the votes. CPC doesn't need to give much money here because they always get the votes).

Sad state of affairs? Maybe. But it is the way it is, the way it has always been, and the way it always will be. Vancouver is bigger than us but still needed the Olympics to get funding for a lot of stuff. Toronto is even bigger and used the Panam Games to get stuff. Money goes to where there is political benefit, and needing to look good on the international stage is a strong motivator. It would be much easier if we were a city full of swing ridings, but we aren't.

Quote:
Also, yeah, it's about a 2 week party. That's what the whole thing is about.
A two week party that requires infrastructure spending. Which is what the city wants. It could be a two day party, or a two month party. Same difference in the end. What lasting infrastructure can we get funded is what it is about.

Last edited by Roughneck; 03-20-2018 at 11:22 PM.
Old 03-20-2018, 11:24 PM   #19
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

When I'm on my deathbed, I want to remember 2026 as the year I saw the Olympics in my hometown. I don't want to be telling my grandchildren that I kvetched about infrastructure deficits. Time on this world is fleeting.

I say go for it.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2018, 11:24 PM   #20
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Do it...city needs a shot in the arm