Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-13-2017, 04:03 PM   #101
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResAlien View Post
Trading for Duchene would mean planning to play him on the wing in the top 6. He's not moving Monahan or Backlund off of the top two lines and he's a waste of a player on the 3rd line. Makes more sense to give up on the Bennett centre experiment and convert him to winger before you go spending assets bringing in an overpriced Duchene.

Gaudreau - Monahan - Ferland
Tkachuk - Backlund - Frolik
Duchene - Bennett - Iginla
Versteeg - Lazar - Brouwer

We really need to stop the "top 6" talk. It's "top 9" in the modern NHL.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 04:10 PM   #102
CsInMyBlood
Franchise Player

Location: F*** me. We're so f***ing good, you check the f***ing standings? Lets f***ing go! F***ing practice!
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
Gaudreau - Monahan - Ferland
Tkachuk - Backlund - Frolik
Duchene - Bennett - Iginla
Versteeg - Lazar - Brouwer

We really need to stop the "top 6" talk. It's "top 9" in the modern NHL.
Are we getting Duchene for free?

Backlund for Selke 2017 2018
Oilers suck.
CsInMyBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CsInMyBlood For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2017, 04:16 PM   #103
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CsInMyBlood View Post
Are we getting Duchene for free?

Do you think we'd subtract any of the listed pieces to acquire Duchene? Because I don't think so.

The ask from Colorado has been rumoured to be young, cost controlled d-man(men). Not wild to think our deepest position prospect-wise could be raided to acquire a player like Duchene. There's also high end prospects in Jankowski and Gillies not listed in my post either.
Old 07-13-2017, 04:22 PM   #104
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Do you think we'd subtract any of the listed pieces to acquire Duchene? Because I don't think so.

The ask from Colorado has been rumoured to be young, cost controlled d-man(men). Not wild to think our deepest position prospect-wise could be raided to acquire a player like Duchene. There's also high end prospects in Jankowski and Gillies not listed in my post either.
Yes COL would have to be getting a significant roster player back for Duchene. That's why it makes no sense. After dealing O'Reilly for two Russian prospects one of which they've already given up on they can't afford to deal one of their two franchise players for defencemen and goalie prospects. That's insane. How would they sell that to fans? Try to think about it from COL's perspective.

Last edited by Flames Draft Watcher; 07-13-2017 at 04:25 PM.
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2017, 04:27 PM   #105
CsInMyBlood
Franchise Player

Location: F*** me. We're so f***ing good, you check the f***ing standings? Lets f***ing go! F***ing practice!
Exp:

Quote:

I see what you're saying now, fair enough.

So you think Dougie Hamilton goes the other way? I mean we would obviously have to shed some big salary to fit him in.

I'd rather keep Hamilton myself.

Backlund for Selke 2017 2018
Oilers suck.
CsInMyBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 04:27 PM   #106
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
Yes COL would have to be getting a significant roster player back for Duchene. That's why it makes no sense. After dealing O'Reilly for two Russian prospects one of which they've already given up on they can't afford to deal one of their two franchise players for defencemen and goalie prospects. That's insane. How would they sell that to fans? Try to think about it from COL's perspective.

Duchene is no franchise player, and perhaps Colorado viewing him as one is why he hasn't been traded yet.
Old 07-13-2017, 04:28 PM   #107
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

not a fan of duschene's age... if you were going to trade bennett for someone, i'd be ok if it were part of a package for Mckinnon, but not Duschene

I like duschene, but the only way you could even consider it is if Duschene signs an extension prior to the deal or as part of conditions of the deal.

Personally, I'd prefer to keep Bennett... however, i think its worth keeping one's ear open to possibilities too...

Like Drouin for Bennett would have made me think long and hard... though i'd probably still opt for Bennett as he brings a bit more edge to his game and he still can become a solid 50 point player imo
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 04:30 PM   #108
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CsInMyBlood View Post
I see what you're saying now, fair enough.

So you think Dougie Hamilton goes the other way? I mean we would obviously have to shed some big salary to fit him in.

I'd rather keep Hamilton myself.

No, I don't think a roster player of note would be involved. From our perspective, we wouldn't downgrade a position to bring in Duchene. So it's either for futures (prospects), or there's no match to be made with the Avs and Flames.

(I don't see Duchene coming here for this exact reason - the main point in my post was that good players can play on a "3rd line" as the modern NHL is all about rolling 3 lines that contribute, not just two lines).
Old 07-13-2017, 04:33 PM   #109
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would trade good assets for Duchene, and I think he is a much better player than his stats showed last year. I would, however, not entertain anything to do with Bennett as part of that trade. I think it defeats the purpose.

I would want Duchene to play WITH Bennett. I have said many times that Bennett seems to need someone that can play with a lot of speed. I think they could form quite a formidable line (either one playing center - I don't care) that would be very difficult to defend against, especially when the other line has Gaudreau and Monahan on it, and another line that just excels at stopping the other top lines around the league.

I think it is a pipe-dream though. A wonderful dream.. but in no way would I include Bennett as part of that trade. I guess if you are on the side that believes Bennett is nearly maxed-out developmentally, I can see your point and corresponding willingness to move him, but I still see a tonne of potential and I think Bennett has taken MASSIVE strides last season, even if he put up less points.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2017, 06:04 PM   #110
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Duchene situation is very bizarre but the fact the Flames are mentioned is a little exciting.

Hard to believe Sakic turned down Hamonic and a 1st. It is safe to assume he also turned down 2 1sts and 2 2nds as that is a combination of the Islanders initial offer and what we paid to get Hamonic. People expect the return to be even bigger but there is a legit chance that ship has sailed.

It is known that Treliving is in on everything and the Flames are certainly all-in moving forward. Treliving typically comes out as the initial winner on most trades which is a positive. The Avs need D and the Flames have a great pipeline and solid current blueline. I could move as many as 2 of our top 4 D prospects to land him.

Lastly there has been a weird love for mediocre ex-flames from the Avs organization for sometime. Iginla, Tanguay, Bourque, Comeau, Colborne are all recent off the top of my head. This is a long shot but maybe the Avs value a flames prospect or player higher than most other teams would?

The hardest thing for me is finding a deal that works. Unless the Flames can dump Stajan off on another team I don't see a lot of bigger dollar contracts they would move for Duchene. As discussed Brouwer has a NTC and the Avs would be on it and likely he would be impossible to move as a cap dump (considering the Flames can't spare picks in a deal) bit leads to believe Frolik could be a contract the Flames send the other way.

How does Frolik+Kylington work?
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 06:10 PM   #111
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't think Frolik + Kylington is even close if Hamonic/1st didn't get it done.

Honestly I think the thought of bringing Duchene into the fold is insane when you look at the forward depth and the fact that we will be playing Brouwer on the 4th line; especially if the cost is Bennett or Janko which it most surely will considering we have no high end picks to deal in. Hard pass on Duchene.
Heavy Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 06:25 PM   #112
dustygoon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Stop with the Bennett proposals. Guy is going to be solid.
dustygoon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dustygoon For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2017, 06:43 PM   #113
OzSome
Franchise Player

Exp:

Friedman is full of whatever. He knew Calgary fans will follow the stories if he mentioned Calgary as one of the interested parties. Even if the rumour is true, Treliving should not dangle or involve Adam Fox, Oliver Kylington, Rasmus Andersson or Valimaki. Any other prospect defensemen I am okay with it. Oh yeah no Bennett and Tkachuk either.
To tell you the truth I would rather have Nathan McKinnon than Duchesne but it will never happen. I don't the Flames will even be in a running at all.
OzSome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 06:49 PM   #114
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustygoon View Post
Stop with the Bennett proposals. Guy is going to be solid.
It's not like people are advocating to move him for an aging vet. Duchene is a young but proven producer who would open the window faster and wider
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 06:51 PM   #115
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzSome View Post
Friedman is full of whatever. He knew Calgary fans will follow the stories if he mentioned Calgary as one of the interested parties. Even if the rumour is true, Treliving should not dangle or involve Adam Fox, Oliver Kylington, Rasmus Andersson or Valimaki. Any other prospect defensemen I am okay with it. Oh yeah no Bennett and Tkachuk either.
To tell you the truth I would rather have Nathan McKinnon than Duchesne but it will never happen. I don't the Flames will even be in a running at all.
On what basis is he full of whatever?
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 07:23 PM   #116
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild GM View Post
It's not like people are advocating to move him for an aging vet. Duchene is a young but proven producer who would open the window faster and wider
That's true. There's no one on the Flames right now who has the speed game that Duchene does, and you wonder whether that style might be a good fit for Gaudreau, thereby having a cascading effect down the lineup - especially if you could drop Brouwer's cap hit while you're at it. It's insta-depth.

The question is whether you'd have him for two years and that's it. Bennett's under team control for considerably longer.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2017, 08:20 PM   #117
mdubz
First Line Centre

Exp:

What's the "duschene" count at in this thread?
mdubz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 08:34 PM   #118
StrykerSteve
Ass Handler

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdubz View Post
What's the "duschene" count at in this thread?
To be fair, iPhone autocorrect automatically makes it Duchesne. Doesn't make it more right or less wrong, but just slightly less annoying.
StrykerSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to StrykerSteve For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2017, 08:34 PM   #119
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Jack View Post
I don't think Frolik + Kylington is even close if Hamonic/1st didn't get it done.

Honestly I think the thought of bringing Duchene into the fold is insane when you look at the forward depth and the fact that we will be playing Brouwer on the 4th line; especially if the cost is Bennett or Janko which it most surely will considering we have no high end picks to deal in. Hard pass on Duchene.
The thought I have is Sakic is straight up over plying his hand and he will end up getting far less than Hamonic and a 1st. Keep in mind Frolik outscored Duchene last year.

The Flames need to shed salary to add the $6M in contracts. Frolik is one of the only movable assets that has a substantial cap hit and actual value.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 08:57 PM   #120
Da_Chief
Franchise Player

Exp:

Homerism in this thread is off the charts...not dealing Valimaki or Bennett or Brodie...Brodie is the only one I can see them being hesitant about the other two? you take it and run.
Da_Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Da_Chief For This Useful Post: