Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-04-2018, 09:00 PM   #541
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I like the DVD's, I have a room set up with lots of space and a big screen TV and DVD player.

I like the bigger screen because its easier to see the movements without squinting

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 09-05-2018, 04:15 PM   #542
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

I agree with the Captain. I had a room setup in the basement and was going to watch the DVDs on a laptop or portable player, or even on an old TV hooked up to my old PS2. Unfortunately I couldn't do some of the poses/moves in the basement because the ceiling was too low. So, now I push the coffee table to the side and do it in my living room on the main floor and play the DVDs on my big screen TV. It works great!

I also have had the Flames game on mute and put a laptop beside the TV and worked out off of that. It wasn't so bad because I knew the workout well enough that I didn't have to constantly watch what was on the screen.

As for App vs DVDs. I would prefer the DVDs because that is what works for me. I paid $90 or so to get the Max Pack a few years ago and that was my cost to do the workouts (aside from getting HR monitor and a mat). With the App you are paying an on going cost, which you can use to motivate you to keep doing the workouts, that is good and you do get more workouts, or you get live instructor led workouts, or you can view those workouts later. There is also points on the online App to keep you motivated to reach the next "level". So there is that too.

Both have good features, you just have to figure out what works for you. DVDs work for me and I get to save money. I don't get the extra workouts, but I'm not at a point where I'm bored and need to try new things. I've been doing this off and on for a few years now and I've saved money by doing it the way I do it.

I hope this helps.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Buff For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2018, 12:18 PM   #543
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just started back up. A LONG way to go.

Question: If i'm heading out to a spot without any WIFI service, is there a way I can download the workouts on an IPAD or tablet?
Old 09-18-2018, 01:23 PM   #544
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

It used to be that you could download audio versions of the workouts. But its a major reason why I bought the DVD's.

Old 09-19-2018, 09:40 PM   #545
InglewoodFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer_carlson View Post
I just started back up. A LONG way to go.

Question: If i'm heading out to a spot without any WIFI service, is there a way I can download the workouts on an IPAD or tablet?
I paid for a year of the DDP Yoga Now subscription and am using my laptop for now. When I go to the Workouts tab on the website, there is a download link on the various workouts so I think you could load up a bunch to go.

Can definitely see the value in it after the first workout. Worked up a decent sweat.
InglewoodFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 11:50 AM   #546
InglewoodFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

On week 5. Energy 2.0 I am enjoying, Fat Burner 2.0 kicks my ass. Keep pausing to get my HR back down into the green. Moved from cramped spare bedroom to basement family room, chromecast the app from my phone to the TV. Great to have more room, but the ceiling is just a touch low for Touchdown.

Enjoying the program so far, it is good for me to have the structure of the app. Will probably move from the scheduled 3x a week up to 4 or 5 soon, I'm liking it that much. Down 5-6 lbs but my energy level is the big win. Feeling way peppier these days.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to InglewoodFan For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2018, 02:21 PM   #547
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by InglewoodFan View Post
On week 5. Energy 2.0 I am enjoying, Fat Burner 2.0 kicks my ass. Keep pausing to get my HR back down into the green. Moved from cramped spare bedroom to basement family room, chromecast the app from my phone to the TV. Great to have more room, but the ceiling is just a touch low for Touchdown.

Enjoying the program so far, it is good for me to have the structure of the app. Will probably move from the scheduled 3x a week up to 4 or 5 soon, I'm liking it that much. Down 5-6 lbs but my energy level is the big win. Feeling way peppier these days.
I can't do DDPY in my basement because of the low ceiling. As my kids get older and stay up later I'm going to be a big inconvenience for them, kicking them, and probab their friends, out of the living room so I can do DDPY.

I haven't done DDPY since... late July. We got a dog and walk him everyday so all my time has gone into walking the dog. I have gone from an average 6,000 steps per day to an average of 15,000 steps per day, so I am getting activity at least. I'd like to figure out how to have time to do both though.
Old 03-26-2019, 08:21 PM   #548
InglewoodFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Have been half-assing my way through Intermediate 2.0 since January. 2-3 work outs a week, but mostly 2. I'll re-start at week one of Intermediate when I get back from vacation in mid-April, I love doing it I'm just not making it enough of a priority to make the time to get a work out in every day.

Tonight was my first crack at Stand Up 2.0. My balance is brutal But I really dig the workout and want to keep trying it. My roundhouse kick and hood ornament are a long way off.
The Following User Says Thank You to InglewoodFan For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2019, 01:36 PM   #549
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

I got the 2.0 DVDs and started doing them last week. I wanted to get back into the swing of things by sticking with the 1.0 DVDs but I keep starting and stopping again right away.

I couldn't get over how much more intense Fat Burner 2.0 was over Fat Burner 1.0. I'm wondering if Energy is also that much more intense. Now I'm scared to get to Diamond Cutter 2.0, just like I was when I first did Diamond Cutter 1.0.

I have a good challenge again, so hopefully I can keep up with it long term.
The Following User Says Thank You to Buff For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2019, 02:24 PM   #550
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff View Post
I got the 2.0 DVDs and started doing them last week. I wanted to get back into the swing of things by sticking with the 1.0 DVDs but I keep starting and stopping again right away.

I couldn't get over how much more intense Fat Burner 2.0 was over Fat Burner 1.0. I'm wondering if Energy is also that much more intense. Now I'm scared to get to Diamond Cutter 2.0, just like I was when I first did Diamond Cutter 1.0.

I have a good challenge again, so hopefully I can keep up with it long term.

Energy is longer, if I remember right energy 1.0 was about 15 minutes long, energy 2.0 is about 5 minutes longer and ads some aspects of fatburner 1.0. Its not significantly harder then 1.0 but it does raise more of a sweat for sure.

Old 03-28-2019, 02:46 PM   #551
agulati
Franchise Player

Exp:

Has anyone used the app? Or are the DVDs better? I'm thinking of getting on this.
agulati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 02:50 PM   #552
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I like the DVD's better for some reason, but that's because I've got a nice workout space with a big TV.

Old 03-28-2019, 03:51 PM   #553
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by agulati View Post
Has anyone used the app? Or are the DVDs better? I'm thinking of getting on this.
I use the DVDs to workout on my own. My wife uses the DVDs to workout with her mom. So, for that purpose, the DVDs are easier for more than one user. I also looked at it as a onetime purchase for $100-ish, which I've had 1.0 for 6 years and 2.0 for two years, or a yearly subscription for $40-ish. After many years you're saving money, but I guess that amount of money shouldn't break your bank account.

I did try out the app when I got the freebee and there are some features to help keep you motivated. You get points for workouts and you feel accomplishment for reaching point levels. So, there's that. The app also links directly to your Heart Rate Monitor (comparability required) so you may get less or no points if you don't have the right HRM. I don't have the right HRM, in fact it brokened so I don't use HRM anymore. I should use HRM though. I think I was definitely getting better benefit when I used one.

Another good thing about the app, is live workouts or the ability to go back and do the recorded live workouts. This gives you plenty more workouts to do which is good if you tire of doing the same workouts on the DVD over and over again.

I think the app is likely worth it. Especially if you follow through and improve your health. Can there be a bad cost to having good health when you're talking about the price level that DDPY is set at?
The Following User Says Thank You to Buff For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2019, 03:54 PM   #554
InglewoodFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by agulati View Post
I have the app, never tried the DVDs. I bought a Chromecast and just cast the workout from my phone to the TV.

I'm not sure one would be better than the other, the workouts are the same. App gives you some extra videos (Motivation Mondays, nutrition, live workouts) which are of varying value. I use some of the app tracking features to keep track of weight and measurements. DVDs have the advantage of paying once rather than a yearly subscription.
Old 03-28-2019, 06:39 PM   #555
agulati
Franchise Player

Exp:

Which HR monitors would you guys recommend? I have a Fitbit kicking around at home, but it doesn't look like it is compatible with DDP Yoga Now
agulati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 08:05 PM   #556
InglewoodFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I bought the Wahoo Tickr on Amazon instead of the DDP site. Got it for $65 but it looks like it has gone up. Pairs with the app but also my stationary bike, treadmill, etc.

Tags
bang! , ddpyoga , guys do yoga too , not your mama's yoga , yrg