Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-13-2017, 11:19 AM   #41
zukes
Nostradamus

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iniggywetrust View Post
Yup, seems like Canadian click bait as none of those other teams are Canadian. Needs to throw Calgary is to drum up interest.
Just like American baseball writers are sure to include the Jays in trade rumour articles due to the large fan base across our nation, Elliot added the Flames in here just for clicks (you can only go to the Leafs and Habs well so many times and CP is still very active). I can't imagine Treliving being willing to part with what it would take to get Duchene and it would go against the way this team is built anyway.
Old 07-13-2017, 11:22 AM   #42
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
Absolutely not.

Any deal that sees us moving Dougie is a huge step backwards. Just no...Giordano won't be around forever and Dougie is the future of our defence.

Barrie is a tire fire in his own end. He's also very undersized. He's a d-man on the level of Kris Russell and adds very little to the value of the deal.

If we make this deal, a declining Duchene walks away in 2 years. We trade away our future #1 d-man.
I agree the more I think about it the more I hate it. Dougie is just too good to give up on and as you mention it will be far too difficult to keep everyone together.

If Andersen is the real deal the Flames will have a RHD to move in the next couple years.

Personally I would move any of our top 4 D prospects, either Gillies or Rittich in a package for Duchene. The Avs would have to take a contract back in return to make the cap work.

Players up front that are non starters in a Duchene trade:
Monahan
Gaudreau
Tkachuk
Bennett
Backlund
Jankowski (unless it is an unrealistic 1 for 1 type trade but even then the cap won't work)

On the blueline I prefer not moving one of the top 4.

In net I want to keep Parsons.

No more 1st round picks should be traded either.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 11:23 AM   #43
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
I can't see how we would want to keep Bennett with Monahan and Duchene on our team.

My guess is it would have to be:

Bennett + Kylington (or similar higher end d-prospect) + other asset.

Personally, I don't like the deal. Duchene is already 26 and in the new NHL many players start to decline in their late 20s. Duchene has unfortunately wasted several of his prime years on an abysmally managed team...
Let us be clear here about what we mean by "decline" in this context. While it is true that forwards typically experience their highest offence output in their early-to-mid twenties, it does not follow that most players become progressively less useful and impactful as they approach 30. This decline of which you speak is most commonly very small and very gradual, and it is often accompanied by improvements in a player's defensive game and on-ice decision making. I am fairly confident that Duchene will remain a high end NHL player for several more years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 11:30 AM   #44
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I would give up any combination of:

2019 first
Jankowski
Kylington
Fox
Andersson
Valimaki

Acquiring Duchene would basically be saying we are gunning for a stanley cup within the next two years. The only prospect I really wouldn't want to deal is Parsons
bax is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bax For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2017, 11:32 AM   #45
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
I expect that is also where any conversation would end. Brad Treliving did not just spend the time and energy exhausted over the past two years to build one of the best looking defence cores in the NHL that is cost-controlled for three years in order to start dismantling it tomorrow.

I would be shocked if the Flames were able to trade for Duchene.
I don't disagree. But what the Avs want out of the deal has to be considered too. You're not getting a player like Duchene for Brouwer and picks. You're probably not getting him for unproven futures. The Avs will want a player in return that addresses their weakness. Brodie seems to be the type of player they are looking for. If I were Treliving I wouldn't make a move. I think this team is going to see improvements on the scoresheet with the players they have. No need to go down this road.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 11:34 AM   #46
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bax View Post
...Acquiring Duchene would basically be saying we are gunning for a stanley cup within the next two years. The only prospect I really wouldn't want to deal is Parsons
I think that was the message sent when the Flames traded for Hamonic and extended Stone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
bax
Old 07-13-2017, 11:34 AM   #47
neo45
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Despite being money on faceoffs, I have always thought Duchene was better suited as a winger.

I just don't see how we have the pieces without including Bennett
neo45 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to neo45 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2017, 11:40 AM   #48
mrdonkey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Maybe they kick the tires on trading Bennett, depending on a) how confident they are he'll break out, b) whether he'll have a place with Monahan and Backlund ahead of him, and 3) whether they believe Duchene can transition to wing.

I'm not really sure it would be wise to trade Bennett but this is perhaps one scenario where it could make sense. Lots of 'ifs' though.
mrdonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 11:45 AM   #49
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young_Guns View Post
Friedman has been wrong all summer. I will take this with a grain of salt.
What has he been wrong about?
I really think that folks don't understand what Friedman reports. If the Flames don't acquire Duchene does that mean he was "wrong"? How do you know? Knowing what we do about BT he kicks the tires on everything, so he probably would be interested in this player.
Only a small fraction of discussion between GMs probably lead to actual transactions but it doesn't mean the discussions didn't happen.
I don't blame Friedman at all for taking a break from the Fan960 when he did. I view him to be amongst the most credible sources out there but the way people interpret his thoughts is quite frankly idiotic.
Jiri Hrdina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 11:46 AM   #50
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

As for the rumor, I have no doubt the Flames are interested, but lack the assets and cap space to make the move.
Sam would have to be included along with another pretty high end piece. I don't know that we have a single prospect in the system that meets that bar.
Old 07-13-2017, 11:50 AM   #51
Young_Guns
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild GM View Post
What has he been wrong about?
I really think that folks don't understand what Friedman reports. If the Flames don't acquire Duchene does that mean he was "wrong"? How do you know? Knowing what we do about BT he kicks the tires on everything, so he probably would be interested in this player.
Only a small fraction of discussion between GMs probably lead to actual transactions but it doesn't mean the discussions didn't happen.
I don't blame Friedman at all for taking a break from the Fan960 when he did. I view him to be amongst the most credible sources out there but the way people interpret his thoughts is quite frankly idiotic.
If you want to put it that way, you can begin to call Eklund credible. I am not saying Friedman is unreliable, he just hasn't been right about a lot of "rumours" lately. So I will be skeptical about everything he says until he proves me wrong. That's all I am saying.
Young_Guns is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Young_Guns For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2017, 11:51 AM   #52
Par
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I know it is a long shot that we trade for Duchene but I want to know, which one would you rather have or which one would the better fit for the Flames Duchene or Landeskog?

I think Landeskog would a better fit, even he plays LW(we can always move someone to the RW), Landeskog would bring the toughness we need.
Par is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 11:52 AM   #53
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
If you want to put it that way, you can begin to call Eklund credible. I am not saying Friedman is unreliable, he just hasn't been right about a lot of "rumours" lately. So I will be skeptical about everything he says until he proves me wrong. That's all I am saying.
Friedman has a proven track record and is trusted by reputable media sources
Eklund isn't.We know Friedman has relationships with executives, GMs and agents around the league.
If you want to view them the same that's your prerogative.
But I think saying his been "wrong a lot" is inaccurate and demonstrates a poor understanding of what he reports and how he does it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2017, 11:56 AM   #54
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

What do we know about Treliving? He's absolutely in on everything. Pure speculation but I think there is no other GM with his fingers on the pulse of the entire league. If he can swing a deal for duchene without crippling the prospect base and cap structure, he will do it . Do I think he gets this player? No.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dammage79 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2017, 12:05 PM   #55
Five-hole
Franchise Player

Exp:

Gotta think it would be Bennett (likely following sign-and-trade) and their pick of one of our D prospects. We may still have to add.

I would consider it.
Five-hole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 12:13 PM   #56
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Maybe Brouwer goes too to help off-set salary.
I also could see the Avs having interest in Ferland

Sam+Ferland+Brouwer (neg value) for Duchene
Flames then sign Jagr.
Done.

EDIT: Indeed seems like the Avs want help on D so not sure how to solve for that. Add Kylington from the Flames and a 2nd from the Avs.
Done.
Old 07-13-2017, 12:16 PM   #57
Rick M.
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Friedman has been wrong all summer. I will take this with a grain of salt.
He also seemed to throw mention of the Flames in as an afterthought.
Rick M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 12:19 PM   #58
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

It would probably have to start with at least something like:

Gillies (replace the young goalie they lost in expansion draft)
Anderson/Valimaki (they want a young d-man by all accounts of the rumors)
Stajan (Cap offset for the Flames this season)

And Flames probably have to add one more piece IMO.
SuperMatt18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 12:26 PM   #59
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild GM View Post
Maybe Brouwer goes too to help off-set salary.
I also could see the Avs having interest in Ferland

Sam+Ferland+Brouwer (neg value) for Duchene
Flames then sign Jagr.
Done.

EDIT: Indeed seems like the Avs want help on D so not sure how to solve for that. Add Kylington from the Flames and a 2nd from the Avs.
Done.
I think you definitely have to send Brouwer the other way which would be a win on it's own.

Brouwer+Bennett+Valimaki/Andersson+Shinkaruk/Poirier/Gillies for Duchene

I would be curious how much value Bennett actually has within the league..
keenan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 12:29 PM   #60
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Brouwer has a full NTC this season and he likely has zero motivation to waive it for the Avalanche of all teams.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post: