Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-05-2018, 10:57 PM   #61
taxbuster
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Out 403 View Post
It's illegal to watch a website streaming a game? LOL. Jesus. Ok Grandpa.
For the record, I'm an aging grandpa and I don't give a rat's posterior about streaming and its legality. Or lack thereof. Just sayin' you can take your ageism and put it in the same place.
taxbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 12:07 AM   #62
rage2
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I signed up a work phone on Rogers at the end of June before they nixed GCL. Still didn’t get it. After 3 days of calls and hours of hold time, as well as an email after sign up saying I get it for this season, they relented and have me GCL. Well, they made me buy GCL then credited my account for the value.

Coupled with the Apple TV NHL app which supports GCL login, I’m getting all games in 60fps tonight. Hopefully my VPN setup is good to go for flames games too.
rage2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 07:06 AM   #63
Zoller
Scoring Winger

Exp:

This is just a test post to see if this forum has banned the word reddit

Also I should point out that I said "may be illegal".

Depending on the country of the steamer, it might be perfectly legal to stream an NHL game.

So all this talk of illegal streams is relative. In Canada is may be illegal to be the streamer, but it's not illegal to watch it.

Last edited by Zoller; 10-06-2018 at 07:25 AM.
Zoller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 07:51 AM   #64
Barnet Flame
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default NHL Centre Ice VS. Rogers GameCentre

I had GCL (NHLTV)since it was available in the UK. Prior to that we got streaming via ESPN.

This is my first season without.

My issue isn’t the cost, my renewal e-mail had it at around $120 usd. The problem is the complete absence of innovation and improvement. If anything the service has deteriorated over the years.

When watching completed games on demand, in the past they edited out the commercial breaks. They don’t do that any longer. And since the commercials are usually blacked out, you get a couple of minutes of a foggy rink.

When you try to fast forward, it was difficult to do it with a degree of accuracy. Sometimes you’d end up at the start of a telecast or else far further ahead than intended.

Intermission coverage is hit and miss. If it is miss, which it often is, you get 15 minutes or more of foggy ice. When you’re watching at 3 am, fighting sleep ends up a losing battle.

And it isn’t live. I’ve gotten goal alerts, texts and whatnot 1-2 minutes before they happen on my stream. On occasion, it was so bad I sought out illegal streams whilst paying for GCL.

The blackouts are ridiculous. I also subscribe to Premier Sports. Sometimes PS show delayed coverage. It could be 12 hours. The game isn’t supposed to be blacked out, but often it is. This meant that despite subscribing to every legal method of watching hockey in this country, I couldn’t watch live hockey.

I don’t want to access hockey using illegal methods, but what choice is there when the product to carry it is so useless?
Barnet Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 08:05 AM   #65
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

I hated getting alerts ruining the score too - lots of times I was coming home later so if the game was on while I was working I’d be getting updates I didn’t want to see; I just ended up shutting off notifications for my NHL app all together to avoid those annoying game score spoilers I didn’t want to see.

It’s tough enough being a Flames fan in an EST like Toronto but can’t imagine being in Europe; props to all the overseas fans of this team #gottalovethediehards
Heavy Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Heavy Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 10-06-2018, 08:28 AM   #66
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoller View Post
This is just a test post to see if this forum has banned the word reddit

Also I should point out that I said "may be illegal".

Depending on the country of the steamer, it might be perfectly legal to stream an NHL game.

So all this talk of illegal streams is relative. In Canada is may be illegal to be the streamer, but it's not illegal to watch it.
I don't have a problem with anyone accessing illegal streams. But please, let's not pretend it's anything other than what it is.
Which is theft.
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 08:34 AM   #67
flamesrule_kipper34
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesrule_kipper34 View Post
I did.
So even after showing the screenshot of the free GameCenter pop-up message in my phone all they provided was a 25% off code for this season.

I reported this to the BBB as False Advertising. I doubt anything would come of it but wanted to regardless.
flamesrule_kipper34 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to flamesrule_kipper34 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-06-2018, 10:15 AM   #68
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pro tip - when talking with Rogers ask them for the incident # and ask that they keep it OPEN at the end of the hours long call - also ask for customer retention once going through all the discussion with customer service.

Finally have had some decent service after a year and a half long of internet connections dropping 15 times a day to go along with a plethora of other issues and numerous attempts calling in.
Heavy Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 09:36 AM   #69
Cactus Jack
First Line Centre

Exp:

The common refrain I hear about cable TV is the same thing we used to hear about CDs. These dinosaur companies had it good for a long time and don´t want to lose the battle, but it is inevitable that they will. Music changed and TV is changing too, get with the times and give people the kind of access they want or someone else will profit from it. I really don´t understand the resistance. People are willing to pay for only what they want, the model changed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
The problem is the complete absence of innovation and improvement. If anything the service has deteriorated over the years. When watching completed games on demand, in the past they edited out the commercial breaks. They don’t do that any longer. And since the commercials are usually blacked out, you get a couple of minutes of a foggy rink.

When you try to fast forward, it was difficult to do it with a degree of accuracy. Sometimes you’d end up at the start of a telecast or else far further ahead than intended.
This. They could make the quality better, it does seem like they put minimal effort into improving user experience. Or they do and don´t publicize it, which I doubt.
Old 10-09-2018, 09:55 AM   #70
UKflames
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
I had GCL (NHLTV)since it was available in the UK. Prior to that we got streaming via ESPN.

This is my first season without.

My issue isn’t the cost, my renewal e-mail had it at around $120 usd. The problem is the complete absence of innovation and improvement. If anything the service has deteriorated over the years.

When watching completed games on demand, in the past they edited out the commercial breaks. They don’t do that any longer. And since the commercials are usually blacked out, you get a couple of minutes of a foggy rink.

Intermission coverage is hit and miss. If it is miss, which it often is, you get 15 minutes or more of foggy ice. When you’re watching at 3 am, fighting sleep ends up a losing battle.

And it isn’t live. I’ve gotten goal alerts, texts and whatnot 1-2 minutes before they happen on my stream. On occasion, it was so bad I sought out illegal streams whilst paying for GCL.

The blackouts are ridiculous. I also subscribe to Premier Sports. Sometimes PS show delayed coverage. It could be 12 hours. The game isn’t supposed to be blacked out, but often it is. This meant that despite subscribing to every legal method of watching hockey in this country, I couldn’t watch live hockey.

I don’t want to access hockey using illegal methods, but what choice is there when the product to carry it is so useless?

I feel your pain Mr Barnet, I went a couple of seasons without NHL.TV/GCL but came back last year, suffered the ridiculous blackouts but his year i'm trying the old VPN route to try and get round them, fingers crossed.
You are so right about the lack of innovation around the product, I actually preffered the adverts to the foggy rink we get now.

This may sound like homerism but I feel the UK really gets shafted by the NHL. No live games for what, 8-10 yrs, but they seem to go to Sweden or Finland each year. If the aim of sending NHL teams to play in Europe is to grow the game they are beating the wrong donkey (apologies to any donkey owners), the game is already massive in the scandic countries, so why not come here for a game. (Rant over)
UKflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 09:58 AM   #71
socalwingfan
Retired

Exp:

Not sure if available in the UK, but I use yonder.tv to get around blackouts for MLB and NHL. Works really well and doesn't appear to have the lag you get through VPN
socalwingfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 12:15 PM   #72
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesrule_kipper34 View Post
So even after showing the screenshot of the free GameCenter pop-up message in my phone all they provided was a 25% off code for this season.

I reported this to the BBB as False Advertising. I doubt anything would come of it but wanted to regardless.
Make sure to file a CCTS complaint. They will have to pay out pocket for it 500 dollars just for it to be heard.

edit: To be more effective with ur time tho, first call rogers back and threaten a CCTS complaint. If they're so dumb as to not pony up then, then I'd file.

Last edited by White Out 403; 10-09-2018 at 12:35 PM.
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to White Out 403 For This Useful Post: