Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-08-2021, 09:32 AM   #461
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
How is giving 4 hours unreasonable? 4 hours to accept seems pretty reasonable to me if there's a decent sweetener involved and very little conditions. It's not like the buyer demanded that possession date be in 4 hours.

I mean, when was the last time some of you guys went house hunting? It's stressful AF, especially if you lose a bid or two/have a house pulled off the market before you can throw a bid in. You could end up looking at like 20-30 houses and see nothing you like, then suddenly see two or three finalist candidates on the same day. Also, you want to know that day whether you can hunker down and start filing paper work, or if you're going to keep looking at houses the next day. Why the hell would you want to wait 4 days vs 4 hours so you know what to do the next day and for everyone else to look at the place and potentially lose it when your search might be at and end?
Meh. There's other buyers. Let people start a bidding war. 16 bookings - not zero.

Rookie mistake - taking the first offer in a hot market.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 09:33 AM   #462
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I would take the best offer that doesn’t include a house inspection. I sold my house in less than 48 hours above asking price and with no inspection which is about as perfect a sale as you can hope for as some people will nickel and dime you if the house inspection brings up stuff like windows needing replacement, foundation cracks, gutter repairs, HVAC service, etc.
We're about to list our place, and I'm really hoping for a similar experience. We're looking to keep the asking price reasonable right off the bat, so we don't have to drag it all out.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 09:35 AM   #463
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't think we want no home inspections becoming the norm here. I wouldn't even consider making an offer without stipulating an inspection.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to burn_this_city For This Useful Post:
Old 04-08-2021, 09:35 AM   #464
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mull View Post
It doesn't matter if they know or not, my reaction is to their attempt at a pressure tactic , which is exactly what it is. Its not so the buyer can save their time and move on- 6 hours compared to 24 hours in the grand scheme of house buying?

Its so the seller has a visceral reaction and perhaps looses some rational perspective and then the buyer gets perhaps a better deal.

That is what pressure selling/buying does to the other party. Rational the tactic with any other number of reasons you want, but this is the intent.

That doesn't mean if I was the seller I wouldn't consider accepting an offer from any pressure tactic, but it does mean that if the cards in were in my hands, as this seller has, I would assume I am not thinking rationally towards this buyer and therefore could not trust myself to enter into an agreement with them, really no matter the price.

Hence, tell them to get lost, too much to risk.
I guess to me, it just sounds like the buyer might have a couple places interested, and instead of going through the whole song and dance of negotiating, gave a final offer to see if you'd accept a conditional offer with the $20K sweetener.

The seller has every right to reject it if he/she doesn't like it because they think it's a pressure tactic, but I honestly don't think it's unreasonable ask by the buyer at all. Things move fast sometimes in a real estate market, and oftentimes, people are juggling multiple potential offers. A 4 hour window seems pretty reasonable in my mind.
The Yen Man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 09:37 AM   #465
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I would take the best offer that doesn’t include a house inspection if you are lucky enough to receive one. I sold my house in less than 48 hours above asking price and with no inspection which is about as perfect a sale as you can hope for as some people will nickel and dime you if the house inspection brings up stuff like windows needing replacement, foundation cracks, gutter repairs, HVAC service, etc.

If there is no inspection, the seller still has to disclose any defects they are aware of.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 04-08-2021, 09:38 AM   #466
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
I sold a house in Aug 2020 and it was not easy and I lost money. I thought the economy would continue to be pessimistic, yet here we are.

Probably could have had an extra $25k kicking around. Alas.
Did you factor in another 7 months of mortgage payments, utilities, property tax etc. into that $25K? I get where you're coming from though, but sometimes it's for the best.

I could have gotten a better deal on a home if I bought 8 months later, but then I'd have had to deal with working from home in a cramped home with young kids, crazy busy work, major uncertainty due to covid and worrying about exposure during lock down with the moving company.

You should be kicking yourself you didn't go full ape on Gamestonk in December with that cash instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
Meh. There's other buyers. Let people start a bidding war. 16 bookings - not zero.

I'm just saying I get where it's coming from and I don't think it's as stupid nor nefarious as some of you are making it out to me.

Yes, taking the first offer is a rookie mistake... if it's the asking price. But if you read my second post, I'd counter offer 3x the amount they offered over the asking price. $20K isn't a bad sweetener at all, but I can see why jwslam didn't take it. It wasn't sweet enough with 16 bookings behind it. If it was 2-3 booking behind it instead, I think it's something I'd consider snapping up.

Last edited by DoubleF; 04-08-2021 at 09:42 AM.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
Old 04-08-2021, 09:38 AM   #467
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_this_city View Post
I don't think we want no home inspections becoming the norm here. I wouldn't even consider making an offer without stipulating an inspection.
This. I would never consider an offer for a place without an inspection. I mean, unless my plan was to level the place and build a new home, and I'm just interested in the land I guess.
Old 04-08-2021, 09:39 AM   #468
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post

Cant really say that without knowing how the house priced compared to market. 16 showings can turn into 0 offers really quickly. If the home is priced accurate to high taking the 20K over could be beneficial. If priced low there could be a little bit of a bidding war. But there is lots of inventory so it’s not as likely.
Weitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 09:43 AM   #469
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yen Man View Post
This. I would never consider an offer for a place without an inspection. I mean, unless my plan was to level the place and build a new home, and I'm just interested in the land I guess.
Really don't want some of the nutty Toronto/Vancouver real estate situation spilling over here. No inspections, no conditions, yolo your entire life savings on a piece of dirt and a 70 year old shack.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to burn_this_city For This Useful Post:
Old 04-08-2021, 09:43 AM   #470
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
I bought my current house without an official inspection. Did request one more one-hour walk-through of the house, though, to "take measurements". They accepted, and I brought along an acquaintance who does home inspections and we went through everything we could in that hour. Not an official inspection, but looked at everything I needed to and was able to go forward with the purchase.

My realtor didn't love it, but for the grand total of the two hours he had to put into my file to get his thousands from me, I didn't give a single fata.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 09:44 AM   #471
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
If it was 2-3 booking behind it instead, I think it's something I'd consider snapping up.
I agree. In a cold market this is a great offer. In a hot market, play your cards.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 09:47 AM   #472
I_H8_Crawford
Franchise Player

Exp:

JMO but when making a purchase of over $500K and waiving inspection/conditions is idiotic.

You will "lose" the bid if you don't waive? Great, I would rather rent so when the roof needs repair, or the furnace goes, its up to the LL to repair.

Imagine "winning" a $1,000,000 house only to find out it requires another $200K of work???? Good god.

As for the YYC market, we actually had two open offers out at the same time - one came back asking for $40K more, the other came back at $10K over our offer + included some furniture making it a no brainer for us.

Even crazier is we did something I figured we would never be able to do - we found an inner city house we really liked for under $700K (IMO they listed too low). Home inspection is tomorrow so hopefully that goes well and we are finally done.
I_H8_Crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to I_H8_Crawford For This Useful Post:
Old 04-08-2021, 09:50 AM   #473
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
If there is no inspection, the seller still has to disclose any defects they are aware of.
This is a big thing....although difficult to prove. In a multi-bidding situation at least some of the bidders get an inspection and then will typically disclose any deficiencies to the listing agent. Theoretically, if the listing agent is honest they will have to, in turn, disclose that to you.

There are also huge limitations on what you can do with an inspection. You can only look at superficial things. If there are major unknown problems, you most likely won't see them, even with an inspection. The work history is just as important as the inspection. When was the last time the roof, electrical, plumbing, etc.. was updated.
blankall is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 04-08-2021, 09:51 AM   #474
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd say go with your gut feeling. If it was me, and I listed my place at what I thought was a reasonable ask, I'd be pretty tempted if someone offered my starter $400K home $20K above asking price. That's a 5% increase. It saves me the hassle of even showing my home any further on the weekend, and any other offer you end up taking will most likely be contingent on inspection anyways.
Old 04-08-2021, 09:52 AM   #475
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yen Man View Post
I'd say go with your gut feeling. If it was me, and I listed my place at what I thought was a reasonable ask, I'd be pretty tempted if someone offered my starter $400K home $20K above asking price. That's a 5% increase. It saves me the hassle of even showing my home any further on the weekend, and any other offer you end up taking will most likely be contingent on inspection anyways.
Totally. And the first offer isn't necessarily a bad offer.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 09:52 AM   #476
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
This is a big thing....although difficult to prove. In a multi-bidding situation at least some of the bidders get an inspection and then will typically disclose any deficiencies to the listing agent. Theoretically, if the listing agent is honest they will have to, in turn, disclose that to you.
Home inspections are basically opinions though. There isn’t any real investigative work done so would you have to share an opinion? Can they tell some things? For sure.

Last edited by Weitz; 04-08-2021 at 09:55 AM.
Weitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 09:57 AM   #477
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
A major issue in Vancouver/Toronto is that housing prices are so high, that the types of things likely to turn up in an inspection are small in comparison to the price of the house and the opportunity cost you lose by not getting the house you want.

Inspections are great but they really can only do so much.

I though I'd never go no inspection either. Then I bought my house in Vancouver without one. The way the market and bidding was, the cost of the repeated inspections outweighed the risk. There were also so many things that needed upgrading in most houses anyways. I don't need to pay an inspector $1,500 to tell me that an old house might have mold issues. That's a given, and you deal with them as they come. The inspector can't even get into the really big stuff, which is inside the structure of the house.
blankall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 09:59 AM   #478
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I wouldn't say the offer was unreasonable, but I totally understand why it would be rejected. 4 hours on one of the biggest financial decisions you can make is tough. Knowing you had 16 other showings obviously helped in that decision.

I can guess knowing you have 17 showings and an above asking price offer, it would be easy to think you might have priced too low. Was that a strategy or did your realtor give any advice on that?
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Fighting Banana Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 10:03 AM   #479
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
I bought my current house without an official inspection. Did request one more one-hour walk-through of the house, though, to "take measurements". They accepted, and I brought along an acquaintance who does home inspections and we went through everything we could in that hour. Not an official inspection, but looked at everything I needed to and was able to go forward with the purchase.

My realtor didn't love it, but for the grand total of the two hours he had to put into my file to get his thousands from me, I didn't give a single fata.

Technically, the seller paid all the commissions.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 04-08-2021, 10:04 AM   #480
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Did you factor in another 7 months of mortgage payments, utilities, property tax etc. into that $25K? I get where you're coming from though, but sometimes it's for the best.

I could have gotten a better deal on a home if I bought 8 months later, but then I'd have had to deal with working from home in a cramped home with young kids, crazy busy work, major uncertainty due to covid and worrying about exposure during lock down with the moving company.

You should be kicking yourself you didn't go full ape on Gamestonk in December with that cash instead.

I'm just saying I get where it's coming from and I don't think it's as stupid nor nefarious as some of you are making it out to me.

Yes, taking the first offer is a rookie mistake... if it's the asking price. But if you read my second post, I'd counter offer 3x the amount they offered over the asking price. $20K isn't a bad sweetener at all, but I can see why jwslam didn't take it. It wasn't sweet enough with 16 bookings behind it. If it was 2-3 booking behind it instead, I think it's something I'd consider snapping up.
That's what I tell myself when I'm not weeping.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post: